Do we know Madonna's vocal range?

Fabiolous

Vocal Type: Mezzo- Soprano
Vocal Range: 3 octaves 2 notes G2- B5 (approx)
Longest Note: 17 seconds (Ray of Light at Live Earth)
Vocal Pluses: Adapts her vocal style to the music she's singing well. The middle of her range is her strongest suit: it's solid, with a warm colouring and a clear timbre. Her chest voice is bright and sharp. While her head voice can be either soft and delicate, or direct and solid.
Vocal Negatives: Voice becomes thin and nasal, very quickly, as it gets higher up and into the chest range.

http://www.divadevotee.com/2009/03/madonna-vocal-profile.html

Def not mezzo soprano. If I were to put her in a choir, I'd sit her in the Alto section for sure.

Edit: just because a person can reach certain notes, that doesn't cement their placement in SATB. There has to be a comfort level in the voice without having to belt or whisper.

30 minutes ago, ScottyX said:

Def not mezzo soprano. If I were to put her in a choir, I'd sit her in the Alto section for sure.

Edit: just because a person can reach certain notes, that doesn't cement their placement in SATB. There has to be a comfort level in the voice without having to belt or whisper.

The color of her voice is not that of an alto, but real altos are very few in the world. Think Tracy Chapman for instance.

Still, I would do the same for a choir. She is definitely not comfortable in her high register, and even if she hit a few high notes in ROL in the studio, she is not a soprano. Many Evita songs had to be taken down a few semitones.

Her low register is very deep and emotional! Like in JUMP verses.

5 minutes ago, Enrico said:

The color of her voice is not that of an alto, but real altos are very few in the world. Think Tracy Chapman for instance.

Still, I would do the same for a choir. She is definitely not comfortable in her high register, and even if she hit a few high notes in ROL in the studio, she is not a soprano. Many Evita songs had to be taken down a few semitones.

Her low register is very deep and emotional! Like in JUMP verses.

totally agree on the color thing.