The Madame X on worldwide charts thread

Régine Filange

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we know how much it has sold worldwide though ? I’m curious and I’m thrilled she at least made number 1 in the USA especially after not hitting number 1 in U.K.

Sales are really low, I guess around 200-250k? But not too bad given the average these days.

but in BuzzAngle Top 50 building chart (which HDD uses for their charts), Madame X is not Top 50 with Friday-Sunday sales. 

https://www.buzzanglemusic.com/charts/albums/

It’s #20 in their sales only chart.
In the event Madame X ended up at #20 on pure sales, it would mean around 5k-6k copies. #100 on Billboard 200 sells around 9k copies. #200 around 5k. I don’t think she’ll add 4K from streaming this week, so she might fall below #100 (if she really ends at #20 -or lower- on pure sales).

BUY

STREAM

Sadly it was clear that the album will drop a lot in week 2 because of the lack of radio support and the very negative press - especially in Europe. I think Madonna and her team could expect that. Overall it's a shame, because the album is so great, she has put so much effort into it and she really does a lot of promotion. This is just another proof that nowadays - more than ever - music hits are just made on hype and not on good music anymore.

And if you're over 30 now, you can do whatever you want and you won't get a hit anymore and nobody will buy or stream your music. I mean Katy Perry is suffering the same now, her new single is great, but it didn't chart very high and her streaming numbers are low now too, and she's only 34(!). Billboard wrote an article about her some weeks ago about her career going down because she's now over 30. This is just crazy and insane. And it is a symptom of music streaming, where streaming numbers are totally distorted by young nerds who do nothing than stream endlessly tracks of musicians who are hyped at the moment, they don't care about their music.  This will hurt the music industry very much in the long run, believe me.

7 hours ago, Xpresso said:

Sadly it was clear that the album will drop a lot in week 2 because of the lack of radio support and the very negative press - especially in Europe. I think Madonna and her team could expect that. Overall it's a shame, because the album is so great, she has put so much effort into it and she really does a lot of promotion. This is just another proof that nowadays - more than ever - music hits are just made on hype and not on good music anymore.

And if you're over 30 now, you can do whatever you want and you won't get a hit anymore and nobody will buy or stream your music. I mean Katy Perry is suffering the same now, her new single is great, but it didn't chart very high and her streaming numbers are low now too, and she's only 34(!). Billboard wrote an article about her some weeks ago about her career going down because she's now over 30. This is just crazy and insane. And it is a symptom of music streaming, where streaming numbers are totally distorted by young nerds who do nothing than stream endlessly tracks of musicians who are hyped at the moment, they don't care about their music.  This will hurt the music industry very much in the long run, believe me.

I don’t think Katy Perry is in the same league as Madonna when M was in her prime but either way it’s sad - the music charts are so sexist and ageist - I haven’t seen Madame X in any of my local U.K. supermarkets but they were all selling Bruce Springsteen new album ?

It’s also very ironic when you consider the person spending on the charts for the “New” under 30 market are the adults in charge of these children. If things were fair most streaming numbers would rely on traceable sales via credit cards or ApplePay or whatever versus the strange view based gambling system they have now. 1/5 of the artists on the Top 20 posted above are deceased, which should be its own chart. It’s all just fucked and I’m sure a vet like Madonna is fully aware. On to the tour and live show experience hopefully a DVD by next summer of these shows ? 

• 4 months later...

I see not much activity in this forum, so I thought I'd post this. :)

Buzz Angle is a precursor to forthcoming U.S. charts- it's not an exact match or anything, but it gives an idea.  Thus, MX should re0enter Billboard's Top Current Albums chart (for a 19th week) and perhaps Top Album Sales (for a 10th week). It likely will never re-enter the Billboard 200, as the sales aren't high enough to offset the relatively low amount of streaming. (It would need weekly sales in the range of 6K-7K or so.)

BuzzAngle Album Sales Charts- Friday-Tuesday

(in parentheses: ranking trends vs. yesterday's position)

U.S. Album Sales: No. 41 (=)

Los Angeles: No. 6 (+1)

Miami-Fort Lauderdale: No. 7 (+1)

San Francisco: No. 25 (-4)

Boston (Manchester, NH): No. 19 (+3)

Philadelphia: No. 25 (-1)

Edited by JimMarq Radenhausen (see edit history)

2 hours ago, JimMarq Radenhausen said:

Buzz Angle is a precursor to forthcoming U.S. charts- it's not an exact match or anything, but it gives an idea.  Thus, MX should re0enter Billboard's Top Current Albums chart (for a 19th week) and perhaps Top Album Sales (for a 10th week). It likely will never re-enter the Billboard 200, as the sales aren't high enough to offset the relatively low amount of streaming. (It would need weekly sales in the range of 6K-7K or so.)

Thank you. I've always enjoyed and look so forward to your updates if and when you can. 

You're welcome, Voguerista. :)

Unless Billboard changes the rules for album redemptions, it should re-enter those charts next week. There have been rumbles that something would change with the start of the new chart year, though not sure if it's Nov.30 or Dec. 7 charts- and it may be merch bundles that are of more concern that album-redemption offers.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:39 AM, JimMarq Radenhausen said:

It's so frustrating to see a woman who once sold 25 million copies of her albums reduced to just several hundred thousand.  I understand she's an older artist and no one is selling that amount of albums anymore.   It's just I miss the days her songs and albums had longevity in the charts, and not drop out a few weeks after it entered.

1 hour ago, MarXus said:

It's so frustrating to see a woman who once sold 25 million copies of her albums reduced to just several hundred thousand.  I understand she's an older artist and no one is selling that amount of albums anymore.   It's just I miss the days her songs and albums had longevity in the charts, and not drop out a few weeks after it entered.

Me too, but she shouldn't of released Madame X. 

• 2 months later...

Yeah, at some point we should stop accusing her creative choices. She makes more compelling music than the crap that is overplayed today, doesn't look worse than all the plastic and overtattooed people that rule music nowadays, doesn't make less beautiful videos than the most beautiful ones out there. Her biggest hits this decade are probably GMAYL and BIM and I wouldn't want an album full of those. It just shows that most people only reward vanity in songs. She'll have some good moments again before she retires and when she dies at 110+. Till then let's just hope for more exposure and more albums, more often.