I need your opinions: What are your honest opinion on Madonna's "MDNA"?

DiscoPopHeaven

-What do you think of this album as a whole?

well i think it's for sure better than Hard Candy was but it was clear she had to make a record for contract reasons. As she said herself in a recent interview she loved to work on rebel heart and was really feeling it - but she wasn't with MDNA. The whole arrangements and vocals

were lacking soul and emotion! And there were wrong single choises for sure cause the record has it's moments!

And Austrian Critic wrote why is she diving this record so against the wall, and i must say he was right! The sound was to loud i still can't listen to this record in one go it's far to exhausting!

-Which songs clearly stand out, 3 years later?

masterpiece - should have been her first single, such a great track

girl gone wild - love it but has a dated european dance sound

Love Spent - love william orbits stuff

Falling Free

I fucked up - very personal

-Has your opinion changed over the course of 3 years?

no not at all

-What do you think of the promo/singles choices/aesthetic?

there was no promo at all! and wrong single choises! Also the promo cds themself are very dissapointing from a collectors point of view since

her change to universal.

-What did you like, or dislike, about the MDNA Tour?

I loved the Tour - the gigantic Videowalls - so over the top - extremly arty!

Many people in europe didn't understand the concept of the show at all.

The only bad thing i can say is the blu-ray quality and editing - can't watch it!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how different we all are :) it is so fun to read. to me mdna is one of the top 5 albums of her whole career. saying that I mean better than any multiplatinum album from 90s better than LAP and Virgin or Trublue etc for example. if I say it is better than COAD too I might be spanked inappropriately but I do think that honestly. 

the thing is we all look at the success of the album differently. and we like albums in a different way i guess.

if mdna had ROL era costumes, tv performances, hair changes, excellent videos, it would be a success by all means including peoples perception of it or maybe not :)

how can i say i like ROL more than MDNA if on ROL i like 5 songs to bits and other 9 i would skip or hear but wouldn't get much from them (not bad songs) all HQ music and singing and lyrics just not for me.

stating that mdna is better than LAP is probably saying to a Christian that jesus loves madonna's pussy best, but 

i'm a sinner, love spent, i'm addicted and Gang bang and so on, many more are still on repeat on my playlist unlike most of the top selling popular albums so that is why i say MDNA very good album.

there are things i didn't like but i can hate album because of one or two songs when more than 10 songs make me feel good :)

Girl gone wild is the only song i have unchecked from my iTunes so when i listen to album i am not hearing it, musically i just can not listen to it , lyrically more less. "live" version didn't help me like this song (the same goes to Bitch i'm madonna from Rebel heart while in this case, musically and lyrically this is something i just can not listen. but there is 23 more songs to choose from so who cares, but thinking it might be a single while some real great songs might be unnoticed makes me kind of sad, but that's fine).

tour was cool, (RIT was the best tour in my opinion), "i don't give a fuck" and 'Turn up the radio' and her playing guitar on these two made me like these songs more.

i'm addicted should have been a single. even i like I'm a Sinner more I understand if they would think commercially, but I'm addicted would be a smash and gang bang too, they are insane for not making it happen.

mdna didn't have enough promotion since tour kicked soon after release of the album (if i am right) , not many live performances besides touring, and videos were lameish. Give me all your luv videos and song were okish, not that bad but there were better songs than the singles they used.

randomness:

musically absolute winner of madonna's career for me would be AMERICAN LIFE. 11 songs 11 MASTERFUCKING PEACES.  i'm so stupid is my favorite but there is so many more, intervention is also wow etc, it was a real MUSIC album with excellent lyrics and singing!!!

visually Ray of light would be a winner of M's career. plus lots of great songs but not whole album is a master peace, top favorite SWIM and 4 or so other songs (videos, photoshoots, performances, constant change of haircolour was a win (Luv black madonna).

p.s. Music album to me is like a single, or Ep with 5 or so songs. for some reason i hardly can remember that album, always thinking that tune music's from another album. only 10 weakish songs very shor albumt, where 'gone' and 'i deserve it' are almost the same song, singles were cool, Amazing was my fav and impressive instant too (even the whole singy singy wingy wingy thing is ridiculous :)).

i think m is maybe listening to other people's opinions more than she listens to herself. maybe i am wrong, but trying to please everyone won;t do the trick, so hopefully she likes what she do and enjoys it really. in the end of the day, there will be a divided opion on anything one do and make, it is important that creator enjoys and loves it. if she does whoo hoo for her, since we all find bits and peaces to enjoy.

my copywriter is sick so i will have to press "Post" even this is the messy random thoughts post.

shit this is long and messy.

Would some of you consider "MDNA" to be Madonna's worst album ever?

It's a nice pop album but it's a bad Madonna album, it has a couple of nice songs but the mix and master is so bad that it makes it hard to enjoy.

Gang Bang, Beautiful Killer and I'm Addicted

I kinda liked it when it came out, now I barely listen to it.

The promo was a mess, I know the Super Bowl is a huge deal but only that was weird. Great album cover, the GGW single cover is great. The single choices where messy, especially GMAYL as the first single. The thing I really HATE about the MDNA era is the fact that it created the whole reductive thing and it was and will always be annoying.

I loved it, I only dislike the DVD.

A lot of what's been said already - its an unusual mix of amazing plus mediocre songs(I think Rebel Heart is also suffering from this now after a few more listens) I think the fact that it was rushed also shows a lot too- Superstar was the worst song on the album.

Falling Free and Some Girls(I loved Orbits 9 minute soundcloud mix the most though and was disappointed it didnt get a better quality version released) I still think Falling Free is one of her best ballads -its up there with Drowned World, Live To Tell, You'll See and Rain as her best vocal takes i think - the instrumental is heaven to listen to- its a song i never get tired of listening too which is  a real testament to a wonderful timeless song - utterley gorgeous production imo

No i still think the same 

Worst single releases and videos of her entire career - embarrassing to watch especially tutr and ggw with the awful dancers - i did love the kid capri remix of Masterpiece though :))

Very rarely watch the blu-ray of this show due to the over editing - mostly feels like watching a music video and not a live show- cant stand the backing tracks she uses now and no real proper musicians or singers either - seems to still be using them on the Rebel Heart promo tour so not a good sign for the upcoming tour which i cant afford to get tickets for- overall it was a disappointing tour - didnt flow very well - the nkm backdrop was stunning - jml was cringey to watch though but i love the remix used and love spent was pretty cool - hung up was low point of the show

-What do you think of this album as a whole? Not one of her best albums. I've been finding hard to connect with her music after Ray of Light. I loved her 80's music.

-Has your opinion changed over the course of 3 years? No.

-What do you think of the promo/singles choices/aesthetic? The photoshoot to promote the album was nice. Can't say much.

-What did you like, or dislike, about the MDNA Tour? The concert focus more on the theatrical side of things. It does have a huge set and the music is just a complement to everyhing else. As a whole it's a good show.

Weak. Like she forgot music is more than just a bunch of DJ loops. Weak songwriting, melodies, production and mastering. But I'll always see it in a bittersweet light because of memories attached to it.

Gang Bang, Falling Free.... honestly there isn't much here that TRULY stands out. Only compared to the rest.

Back then I thought it was a good album. lol. I think some of the concepts in there are amazing, but the execution is very poor. 

Promo was non existent really. Single choices were alright. Aesthetic was as poor as the album itself. I was very dissapointed about Mert & Marcus' photography for the album.

I think the tour is excellent, and really creative, the problem were the songs she performed from the album. That majorette costume should've been burned the moment it was created, also.

What do you think of this album as a whole?

I think MDNA was a good Madonna record in terms of having several catchy songs. It had tunes that you would love to be performed again (well this happens with lots of previous records). There was a main theme that kind of connected the songs but it missed some spontaneity, seemed a bit forced and wasn't very natural, like the songs on American Life which really tried to be personal but are full of clichés too. Many fans expected a super iconic legendary record after her 'musical' retirement since 2009, a time when Lady Gaga and other younger female artists conquered the world... In my opinion, it was, it is, and it will always be ridiculous to expect a Like a Prayer and Ray of Light Part Deux. It's impossible. Madonna has aged, and she started to run out of ideas a long time ago (Confessions anyone?). I'm not being shady, it's my opinion and I love her and everything but since 2000 it's been harder and harder for her to stay relevant... I think it's something that happens to every act that's been around for many many years. It's reality, she won't be the most popular forever and critics will always try to replace her.

Which songs clearly stand out, 3 years later?

There have always been great songs, good songs, so so songs, and silly songs ON EVERY Madonna album. None of them are perfect. The best tracks in my opinion, in terms of production, lyric wise and let's say 'innovative' content are I'm Addicted, I Don't Give A, Love Spent, Masterpiece, Falling Free, and I Fucked Up, but I'm not sure if they are on the same level as classics. Maybe Masterpiece.

Has your opinion changed over the course of 3 years?

Not really, I still think it's more attractive than Hard Candy and even more original and genuine than Confessions (which I loved at its proper time but let's face it, Kylie had done it before with 2 albums).

What do you think of the promo/singles choices/aesthetic?

Loved the covers used in the deluxe version and standard version. I liked the concept of being behind the glass and trapped under so many filters that have tried to define her not only as a pop singer but also as a woman. I hated the amount of photoshop used in the boots session and hated the idea of omitting so many good shots that could have been spread in lots of magazines.

About the singles, the good thing about MDNA is that you really had not clue about what songs could represent the project best. Yes almost everybody wanted Gang Bang to be the lead single but radio would hardly ever play it cause it's too violent and profane.

Give Me All Your Luvin' was cheeky but desperate, I actually think it could have worked better as a buzz single just before the Super Bowl to 'taste the waters'. Girl Gone Wild sounded very 2010 and that was a first no no, the video was a rehash of the SEX book but the choreograhy was amazing. Turn Up the Radio was fun but kind of forgettable and many Madonna singles are like that, and the video was regular, I mean come on! You can do SO MANY things outdoors and Munro could have got better shots... the storyline is ridiculous.

The promo was almost non-existent and that was the first mistake. No popular magazine covers, no tv shows, no awards shows, no promo tours, no nothing.

What did you like, or dislike, about the MDNA Tour?

I loved the MDNA Tour because she used many original versions in the classics, it was amazing to hear Express Yourself, Vogue, and Like a Prayer the closest to the Immaculate Collection versions, no doubt it's one of her best selling albums. I loved that she decided to come back to Southamerica, I disliked the fact that she didn't go to Australia, I was impressed by her physical beauty on the sexy parts (amazing lingerie). One thing I really hated from the tour was her constant lateness and almost offensive behaviour towards some of her fans. I did expect her to do the request section again like it happened in the Sticky & Sweet Tour... More Madonna music and less politics! It's ok that she cares about those issues going on the world but people pay to see her perform, forget about the shitty reality we face everyday and there she is, preaching, preaching and preaching. I love that she's become a wiser woman, but I'm pretty sure fans put Seriousdonna after Madonna herself. I still don't get why so many people hate the DVD, yes, it has its imperfections but it does have an artistic input that wasn't present in previous recordings.

In summary, I think the MDNA project could have done better not only on charts history and sales but also on artistic appreciation if it wasn't too half-baked and didn't sound unfinished, Solveig tracks are the weakest. Madonna could have filmed more promo videos between rehearsals or even launched some live footage in order to promote the tour. On stage, Madonna proved she's the best at what she does but the whole era let you wanting more in terms of artistic merit. But Live Nation is very into money and instant success.

Sorry i come back here again just to poop one more time on Girl Gone Wild.Also  I forgot to talk about the photos : awful. The pictures inside the booklet with the hooker boots = CACA and they are so photoshopped i don't know who that is. 

After a month of MDNA i was over this album. 

I've been listening to Rebel Heart demos & album since the leak and i'm still not over them, even the ones i don't like i still find something in them. The pictures as Joan of Arc and the wires cover are perfect. 

Am I the only one that loves the drum majorette costume and whole cheerleading theme?

M didn't even go the literal route. She wasn't the cheerleader, she was the band leader. The pop lessors cheered for her.

And her dance breakdown at the tip of the runway during GMAYL with the pom-poms was the greatest cheerleading dance EVER :lord:

Madonna always delivers me at least 2 masterpieces on every tour and GMAYL & Express Yourself were it for me.

And I know the article's already been written but I have to say I'll never forgive her for the MDNA singles choices. I just.. I just can't get over it. Turn Up The Radio over Love Spent. Stop!

Good album. Definitely not one of her best. No real concept behind it, production kinda sucks, No inovative sound, but rather dated. BUT Madonna was Madonna again (if you know what I mean).

Some girls, love spent, I’m addicted

I liked it more back in the day

no promo at all/bad single choices – especially the lead single - aesthetic? = nothing special

girl gone wild & gang bang should have been released as promo only singles-videos.

beautiful killer should have been a single and give me all your luvin should have been only for the halftime show.

i think MDNA could have been really big IF the production was better and there was promotion. the world was ready for her comeback, but she didn't deliver anything special like she used to do with past releases. nothing new or fresh. and she did zero promo! also the halftime felt kind of desperate to me at that time.

Again, Madonna felt like Madonna again J She had attitude and was provocative. The third part is definitely the best one.

The dvd sucked in terms of production (picture & sound)

One of her worst. If not the worst of her career. it's dull, badly produced, badly written, badly executed, barely any promo, no stand out singles and most of all just a non event.

there are no standout tracks. even at it's best it's not that great. masterpiece, gang bang, love spent or the other apparent standouts are only average at best

nope. stayed he same

terrible lead single, much to do about nothing second single, terrible third single. videos were ok. image wise i have no opinion either way

madonna can make a great tour out of anything. i just don't want to hear the mdna songs live

The album was middle of the road for me, neither bad nor great, there. Was some excellent songs, but the overall production was to repetitive ans even basic for the album to work as a whole.On a side not, a lot of people are claiming to bw unhappy with the promotion, single choices etc. But Madonna going to the Ultra music festival with Avicii has NOTHING to do with whether you think the album in question is good or notJust like people being unhappy with the 3 videos for the album, it has nothing to do wirh whether you think the MUSIC, album itself is good or notOpinions were asked about the MDNA album NOT the era as a whole.

What do you think of this album as a whole?

It's an alright album - a bit of a failed promise in a way I feel. The most interesting tracks were the ones Orbit was involved in in my opinion and I wish he co-produced the whole thing with her. Felt much more like a Madonna record though after "Hard Candy".

Which songs clearly stand out, 3 years later?

"I'm Addicted" is amazing and should've been the lead single. "Gang Bang" and "Love Spent" are fantastic and I've always had a soft spot for "I Fucked Up".

Has your opinion changed over the course of 3 years?

I was completely obsessed with the album when it came out but my enthusiasm has definitely worn out since its release. It's not a bad album per se - just not a great Madonna album. Martin Solveig turned out to be a very much one trick pony.

What do you think of the promo/singles choices/aesthetic?

I sort of wish "Give Me All Your Luvin'" never happened although I do like the video. We did get the epic Superbowl performance though.

What did you like, or dislike, about the MDNA Tour?

That tour was everything. I was amazed that she could still deliver a show like that 30 years into her career. Most fun I had from any of her tours and she seemed to be having a blast herself.