Madame X Tour | Lisbon

Neil

7 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I think this will be the case if it isn’t theatres. I don’t believe everyone will be paying those prices for another theatre show to be honest. 

Well, the prices are another thing, but honestly I have a feeling it won't be a huge deal.  Just look at all the hoopla over the late starts and ticket prices this time and people still went and was willing to defend her over it.  She'll be fine.  In a couple of years, people will be less mad about it and would be dying to see her again.  And if the tour is more nostalgic, you can bet it will do well. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
7 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Well, the prices are another thing, but honestly I have a feeling it won't be a huge deal.  Just look at all the hoopla over the late starts and ticket prices this time and people still went and was willing to defend her over it.  She'll be fine.  In a couple of years, people will be less mad about it and would be dying to see her again.  And if the tour is more nostalgic, you can bet it will do well. 

The thing is though, she hasn’t sold out every date on this tour and after everything that’s gone on, I don’t see ticket sales improving if she did another theatre tour to be honest. If she did a nostalgic tour in the arenas in a few years I imagine that would sell brilliantly to be honest. 

Just now, Nobody Knows Me said:

The thing is though, she hasn’t sold out every date on this tour and after everything that’s gone on, I don’t see ticket sales improving if she did another theatre tour to be honest. If she did a nostalgic tour in the arenas in a few years I imagine that would sell brilliantly to be honest. 

I doubt she'll do a theater tour again (at least so soon).  If she was smart, she'd take a break for a couple of years.  Come back with something very nostalgic.  Don't push too many dates next time around and appeal to the general public more. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
1 minute ago, MarXus said:

I doubt she'll do a theater tour again (at least so soon).  If she was smart, she'd take a break for a couple of years.  Come back with something very nostalgic.  Don't push too many dates next time around and appeal to the general public more. 

Agreed. I personally think a summer stadium or arena tour would be best for her next time and would do best commercially. No more 80+ dates. 

Just now, Nobody Knows Me said:

Agreed. I personally think a summer stadium or arena tour would be best for her next time and would do best commercially. No more 80+ dates. 

The only thing is; she's 62 this year.  One has to ask how long does she really have to keep up this pace?  We saw that the theater tour which is a downgrade from a full scale tour has taken a toll on her.  Yes, she has proven to be resilient in the past. She still dances circles around people twice her age. Though, there comes a time that life just catches up to everyone.  She's been so lucky if you think about it.  Every tour before this, she's been able to get through without cancelling multiple shows due to health concerns.  It's sad to think, but it's quite possible that this is the beginning of some real wear and tear and deterioration happening.  If she can't handle this tour, I can't see her handling an arena tour either.  There is usually more ground to cover in an arena or stadium.  

Then again, she might finally say enough is enough and just retire from touring. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
1 minute ago, MarXus said:

The only thing is; she's 62 this year.  One has to ask how long does she really have to keep up this pace?  We saw that the theater tour which is a downgrade from a full scale tour has taken a toll on her.  Yes, she has proven to be resilient in the past. She still dances circles around people twice her age. Though, there comes a time that life just catches up to everyone.  She's been so lucky if you think about it.  Every tour before this, she's been able to get through without cancelling multiple shows due to health concerns.  It's sad to think, but it's quite possible that this is the beginning of some real wear and tear and deterioration happening.  If she can't handle this tour, I can't see her handling an arena tour either.  There is usually more ground to cover in an arena or stadium.  

Then again, she might finally say enough is enough and just retire from touring. 

I agree with you. I should have said earlier I do think she needs to give up the extensive dancing if she’s going to continue doing arenas and stadiums, and I do think the number of dates need to be cut down. I could see her doing a proper residency at some point, maybe at somewhere like the Hammersmith Apollo in London or something. But I hope she gets as much rest as possible, first and foremost. I don’t expect her to tour again for a while now, and I would completely understand if she didn’t do it again. 

1 minute ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I agree with you. I should have said earlier I do think she needs to give up the extensive dancing if she’s going to continue doing arenas and stadiums, and I do think the number of dates need to be cut down. I could see her doing a proper residency at some point, maybe at somewhere like the Hammersmith Apollo in London or something. But I hope she gets as much rest as possible, first and foremost. I don’t expect her to tour again for a while now, and I would completely understand if she didn’t do it again. 

Don't you think it's awfully odd that she's deteriorated so quickly in performance ability, though? I just want to point out the differences in these two performances:

Cher Believe Tour Finale (53 Years Old):

Madonna MDNA Tour Finale (54 Years Old):

And yet we now we're here discussing Madonna retiring from touring...at 61...I mean, 7 years after what she was doing on the MDNA Tour?! That's unfathomable to me.

The difference in Madonna the performer pre-2012 and post-2012 will always be one of the most fascinating mysteries in her career to me...

Can't compare two artists like that.  Physical issues and medical issues can strike people at any time.  Think about it.  There are those who are extremely athletic every day of their life and drop dead at an early age while those who smoke and drink their whole life and live til they're 90 or a 100.  It's the same with those who are stricken with diseases. Some carry on for years and then wham, they are diagnosed with something awful.  While some are diagnosed with something earlier on in life and either die quickly or linger on in pain and misery for years. Everyone is different. 

Of course, Madonna has a knee issue and possibly an issue with her hip. Seems typical for a person who has been dancing all her life to experience such problems. 

23 minutes ago, techno101 said:

Don't you think it's awfully odd that she's deteriorated so quickly in performance ability, though? I just want to point out the differences in these two performances:

The difference in Madonna the performer pre-2012 and post-2012 will always be one of the most fascinating mysteries in her career to me...

You clearly haven't seen the tours because her performance ability live is still amazing and unparalleled.  When she's not injured and at least the early part of this tour before things got so bad, the RHT and Madame X tours were still far better than anything anyone else is putting out, even among younger pop artists (and I've seen nearly everyone live in the past few years).  Comparing her to Cher... it's apples and oranges.

8 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

You clearly haven't seen the tours because her performance ability live is still amazing and unparalleled.  When she's not injured and at least the early part of this tour before things got so bad, the RHT and Madame X tours were still far better than anything anyone else is putting out, even among younger pop artists (and I've seen nearly everyone live in the past few years).  Comparing her to Cher... it's apples and oranges.

I have actually. Every tour Confessions-onwards, minus S&S. We can certainly have a difference in opinion, but to imply I haven't seen these tours myself to understand that they're "amazing and unparalleled" is a little silly. 

And many fans have felt otherwise regarding the Madame X Tour in particular, myself included (who has seen nearly everyone live, too). Yes, I did go live. Multiple times.  

It's not that I'm comparing her to Cher as to imply one is a better performer than the other. It's simply an observation that Cher has a pretty demanding international arena tour schedule at 75, and it's odd that Madonna, who used to be such a health zealot, seems to have dialed it down quite suddenly post-MDNA era and has had such a string of health issues as of late (remember, she's been using the cane since at least the Grammy's performance in 2014). And that I never thought the day would come where we were discussing her inability to even venture out on tour. That's all.

Edited by techno101 (see edit history)

Guest Nobody Knows Me
41 minutes ago, techno101 said:

Cher Believe Tour Finale (53 Years Old):

Madonna MDNA Tour Finale (54 Years Old):

And yet we now we're here discussing Madonna retiring from touring...at 61...I mean, 7 years after what she was doing on the MDNA Tour?! That's unfathomable to me.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare them like that. Cher’s concerts are nowhere near as exhausting and physically demanding as Madonna’s are, and there’s no way that Madonna is going to stand there in some camp outfit miming for 90 minutes. That’s not what her shows are about, and I think it’s unfair to expect her to perform like the MDNA Tour at Cher’s age. It borders on dangerous, so yes it is possible that she could either retire from touring earlier or just put on a less demanding show. 

4 minutes ago, techno101 said:

It's not that I'm comparing her to Cher as to imply one is a better performer than the other. It's simply an observation that Cher has a pretty demanding international arena tour schedule at 75, and it's odd that Madonna, who used to be such a health zealot, seems to have dialed it down quite suddenly post-MDNA era and has had such a string of health issues as of late (remember, she's been using the cane since at least the Grammy's performance in 2014). And that I never thought the day would come where we were discussing her inability to even venture out on tour. That's all.

Again, it's apples and oranges.  Since 1996, Madonna has always had young children to consider whenever she toured, which was already very often considering her personal situation.  Cher's children have been grown for decades.  She doesn't have 7 year olds distracting her with ridiculous antics pre-show or whatever else M does backstage for hours.  It's obvious from her IG that post-2012, M simply spends all her time with children (from her dancers, to her boy toys, to her literal children) and doesn't maintain the health discipline she used to in the past.  That's her choice and people are certainly free to spend their time how they wish.

Her issues this tour are from an injury that has been present the whole tour and her inability to acknowledge that she needs serious rest, not gallivanting to the beach or parties here and there and getting drunk, regardless that it's her right to do so.  Her issues with PR have to do with how she's treated her hardcore fan base and the new reputation she has as being completely unreliable in when and whether she will show up while still charging more extortionate prices than ever.  Cher's prices don't compare at all.  She'll still be able to venture out on tour if she wants to but not the way she keeps behaving so unprofessionally to so many.

48 minutes ago, techno101 said:

There are a number of reasons, she went through a rough patch, both artistically (with RH leaking) and physically with her foot/ankle injury from dancing in high heels. She then moved to Lisbon post RH Tour and she herself has admitted that her workouts these days have taken a back foot. Her priorities have changed, and that's absolutely fine!

Plus, it has nothing to do with age, just priorities. I mean, Mick Jagger is still running around the stage at 70+ like he was 20 lol 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
10 minutes ago, techno101 said:

It’s odd that Madonna, who used to be such a health zealot, seems to have dialed it down quite suddenly post-MDNA era and has had such a string of health issues

It’s not odd, it’s ageing. That tour was extremely gruelling for her and she even admitted that she cried from exhaustion throughout that tour. We cannot expect her to dial it up as she gets older. 

2 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

It’s not odd, it’s ageing. That tour was extremely gruelling for her and she even admitted that she cried from exhaustion throughout that tour. We cannot expect her to dial it up as she gets older. 

Well yes and no, Mick Jagger is still rocketing around that stage in his seventies. It just comes down to physical endurance, and yes age has a part to play, but Madonna's priorities are elsewhere and she's said that.

There isn't anything wrong with that mind you.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
Just now, Jackie said:

Well yes and no, Mick Jagger is still rocketing around that stage in his seventies. It just comes down to physical endurance, and yes age has a part to play, but Madonna's priorities are elsewhere and she's said that.

I don’t think ageing is the sole contribution, however I think it is a big one. I do consider The MDNA Tour to be her most exhausting physically and I completely understand why she hasn’t done a tour that big since and most likely never will. And I completely agree that her priorities are elsewhere now.

2 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Mick Jagger also doesn't have to worry about getting 1000 treatments a year and before every show to try to appear young and sexy.

1 minute ago, Jackie said:

I think it’s also the vigorous work outs and dancing throughout her entire life have taken its toll. Cher or Mick Jagger did not put that much physical demand on their bodies especially not in their latter years.

1 minute ago, Blue Jean said:

I think it’s also the vigorous work outs and dancing throughout her entire life have taken its toll. Cher or Mick Jagger did not put that much physical demand on their bodies especially not in their latter years.

Oh for sure, agree completely.  Which is why I think she needs to do the right thing for her body, either cancel the remaining dates of the tour, or change the routine so that she isn't moving around much to give her body the time to heal properly. 

• Enrico unfeatured this topic