Madame X Tour | Lisbon

Neil

34 minutes ago, madonnagreece said:

"For the past 2 months, my leg feels like wood and I can't control it. Please excuse me for this, I want you to focus your attention from the waist up"

She did her BESTEST to keep up with the show and she did. At parts the choreo was toned down but again being the pro that she is it didnt show but if you know M and her stage presence you could feel it...

Especially when she went up and down stairs, she had assistance . And there were random movements where her thigh would make spasms and shake randomly and she couldnt control it. yet she absolutely delivered. At certain moments in the show , she hurt so much you could see it in her face but she would quickly smile like the happiest person in the world so we wouldnt notice.

Gosh. That's awful.

I attended on the 14th, 16th and 18th shows. The 16th show was weakest for me, cause she was distracted or something - she forgot lyrics in some songs, messed up some steps :) 18th show was really good one, but I felt all the pain she had... I had feeling she will cancel Sundays show :( 
On 16th show were few changes - during coffin interlude two girls were dancing, not the guy, but on 18th it back to the guy dancing. Lower shoes, during Batuka dancer helps her to come down the stairs (it didn't happened in NY shows then I attended).

And I loved every second being in Lisbon. Lots of Madonna fans (a lot of people with Madonna t- shirts and jumpers walking around the town). Attended to Miroca Paris (M musician) concert on 17th, Madonna crew was there too and the vibe at the show was so good and friendly. M crew was dancing with the fans and it felt like one big M family having a party together :D 

Comparing to the shows at BAM I saw - Lisbon so much better. The crowd more into M, everyone singing, screaming, dancing and it feels that Madame X belongs to Europe this time :) 

I was filmed few times for DVD on 14th show, hope I will be in the final cut :D And I ended up in M instagram video during I Rise :hearteyes:

19 minutes ago, remixed224 said:

I attended on the 14th, 16th and 18th shows. The 16th show was weakest for me, cause she was distracted or something - she forgot lyrics in some songs, messed up some steps :) 18th show was really good one, but I felt all the pain she had... I had feeling she will cancel Sundays show :( 
On 16th show were few changes - during coffin interlude two girls were dancing, not the guy, but on 18th it back to the guy dancing. Lower shoes, during Batuka dancer helps her to come down the stairs (it didn't happened in NY shows then I attended).

And I loved every second being in Lisbon. Lots of Madonna fans (a lot of people with Madonna t- shirts and jumpers walking around the town). Attended to Miroca Paris (M musician) concert on 17th, Madonna crew was there too and the vibe at the show was so good and friendly. M crew was dancing with the fans and it felt like one big M family having a party together :D 

Comparing to the shows at BAM I saw - Lisbon so much better. The crowd more into M, everyone singing, screaming, dancing and it feels that Madame X belongs to Europe this time :) 

I was filmed few times for DVD on 14th show, hope I will be in the final cut :D And I ended up in M instagram video during I Rise :hearteyes:

Wow that’s cool!

Thank you for sharing these experiences. I so wish I was seeing her in Lisbon but it was not meant to be! I will (hopefully) be seeing her in Paris!

4 hours ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

She isn't. You can tell she's doing this with love for sure. It's the way everything else is turning out that's not good. I can't imagine her predicting this injury, the way all this is scheduled, etc being her own doing.

Also...her last Instagram post was a mess. Portuguese media is having a field day with this: "Madonna cancels show due to the fact she 'needs to listen to her body and rest'". The fact she didn't mention her injury didn't help. The promoter didn't mention injuries as well. Now the public sees this as all about diva behavior basically.

Can you guys see her doing those 3 shows back to back starting on Tuesday? Cause I don't. More cancelations in Portugal probably. An amazing moment turning into a PR nightmare for her. The worst? The shows getting affected are the first ones she scheduled. The last minute additions are the ones she ended up performing. A mess. And she thinks this is the best she's doing for all of us?

I can only imagine how Paris and London ("baby you can keep") will go.

Where's Live Nation? Guy Oseary? 

I can't see her doing three shows back to back at all. Her schedule needs to be redone. And yeah, where's Guy and Live Nation? It's just sad.  I feel so bad for her and all the fans. 

42 minutes ago, remixed224 said:

Thank you so much! We needed this light. Thank you and I hope you make it on the DVD too.

1 hour ago, madonnagreece said:

I attended the show on the 14th in Lisbon. The show was beyond expectations, just amazing.

M talked with the audience A LOT and at some point she said this:

"For the past 2 months, my leg feels like wood and I can't control it. Please excuse me for this, I want you to focus your attention from the waist up"

She did her BESTEST to keep up with the show and she did. At parts the choreo was toned down but again being the pro that she is it didnt show but if you know M and her stage presence you could feel it...

Especially when she went up and down stairs, she had assistance . And there were random movements where her thigh would make spasms and shake randomly and she couldnt control it. yet she absolutely delivered. At certain moments in the show , she hurt so much you could see it in her face but she would quickly smile like the happiest person in the world so we wouldnt notice.

In Medellin, when shes on the table doing the spread legs thing, she forced herself so hard to do it.

My heart broke as I could feel the outstanding pain she was in. But my heart also was fullfiled as she fought the pain like a soldier and gave us a night to remember for life.

An the Yondr thing...ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT IDEA! Everyone enjoyed the show so much!

I enjoyed your review. Thanks for all the details. It's amazing how Madonna has powered through with so much pain. She's got to stop though or she's going to have permanent damage if she doesn't already.  

14 hours ago, Jackie said:

Yes, but having said that, she has the final sign off. While everything you have said could be true, she agreed to it and clearly thought it fine. Unfortunately, during rehearsals she injured her knee. She pushed on (and good on her) but it's clear she can't continue to push on. 

That's true Jackie, I don't disagree with you at all. One of the most infuriating things is somewhere along the lines she surely was able to say "look I have really damaged my knee, I can't do this many shows". Although who knows maybe she did and they just didn't care.

13 minutes ago, Alan Leggate said:

That's true Jackie, I don't disagree with you at all. One of the most infuriating things is somewhere along the lines she surely was able to say "look I have really damaged my knee, I can't do this many shows". Although who knows maybe she did and they just didn't care.

I follow a lot of dancers on social media. They all have that same mentality that the "show MUST go on" no matter what and even with injuries and broken or worn out feet, knees, etc. I don't know how they do it? Madonna is no different. She doesn't know when to stop. I think it kills her to think of disappointing fans. I think this is why she wrestles with calling off a show. Waiting til the last minute isn't something she's doing purposely imo. She truly wants to take that stage. 

1 minute ago, Voguerista said:

I follow a lot of dancers on social media. They all have that same mentality that the "show MUST go on" no matter what and even with injuries and broken or worn out feet, knees, etc. I don't know how they do it? Madonna is no different. She doesn't know when to stop. I think it kills her to think of disappointing fans. I think this is why she wrestles with calling off a show. Waiting til the last minute isn't something she's doing purposely imo. She truly wants to take that stage. 

That's when she should have a decent manager who has the empathy to be with her during this to say I'll issue a statement on your behalf that morning that so many shows are going to be cancelled etc. Instead of it appearing Madonna is cancelling last minute. Oh and after the show(s) are cancelled, someone stops posting random shit then on instagram that just ends up infuriating fans even more.

1 minute ago, Alan Leggate said:

That's when she should have a decent manager who has the empathy to be with her during this to say I'll issue a statement on your behalf that morning that so many shows are going to be cancelled etc. Instead of it appearing Madonna is cancelling last minute. Oh and after the show(s) are cancelled, someone stops posting random shit then on instagram that just ends up infuriating fans even more.

Totally agree. I fault them, not Madonna. I don't understand them at all and where they are? 

Well, you cant really blame her for not wanting to cancel shows. I mean, look at people’s reactions when she does.

I think she’d rather be able to perform for SOME people than none at all.

There’s probably also quite a bit involved logistically: bookings, dancers and musicians, etc.

But I agree that maybe she should just delay them. Do a few TV show performances for promo and then kick off the tour again in the Spring/Summer.

5 minutes ago, PaperFaces said:

Well, you cant really blame her for not wanting to cancel shows. I mean, look at people’s reactions when she does.

I think she’d rather be able to perform for SOME people than none at all.

There’s probably also quite a bit involved logistically: bookings, dancers and musicians, etc.

There would definitely be a lot of cost involved in postponing, all of the musicians, dancers and crew will have other jobs lined up for the future. Then there is the venue availability to consider. It would be very complicated and expensive to reschedule I imagine. Cancelling some shows only is possibly her best option financially.

39 minutes ago, Matty said:

I think she is thinking of the money more than anything it's nothing to do with her wanting to be on that stage until it kills her it's more like shit how much money am i going to lose if I commit to canceling the tour.

To an extent I agree but I do think there’s a degree of pride too in presenting her show to the media, peers, public etc. She will also want to do shows in London and Paris for the same reason. It’s the same reason she won’t just sit down and sing to keep her fans happy. So even if she has to cancel quite a lot of shows I can’t see her cancelling everything. She would rather do some then none I think.

Money wise I am not sure but I think she can claim these last minute cancellations on insurance ?

3 hours ago, Voguerista said:

I can't see her doing three shows back to back at all. Her schedule needs to be redone. And yeah, where's Guy and Live Nation? It's just sad.  I feel so bad for her and all the fans. 

I think the same.  And wait until London and Paris.  There is no way she's going to continue on back to back like that. 

As for Guy and Live Nation, I'm not sure what they can do. She is choosing to go on,  yet cancelling random nights.  Certainly, she has good reason. I guess I don't see how either Guy or Live Nation will change any of this.  In fact, we know Guy suggests a lot of things in her favor, but she dismisses them.  Most fans are on board with her revisiting her back catalog. Guy is as well. He even stated not long ago, that he wished she'd center a tour around the Ray of Light album as U2 did with The Joshua Tree.

I totally agree with your sediment here and beyond this post.  To me, she lacks a good publicist as Liz Rosenberg was once was to her.  Guy is her business manager, and I think a lot of people forget that or confuse what he does for her.  Also, I never knew Live Nation to issue statements on behalf of their clients when they cancel dates due to whatever issues. Guy used to promote her more though; but again I think  he's taking the back seat this time out because Madonna seems to dismiss him a lot.   

Like you mentioned, it's her who doesn't want to give up. I commend her, but she's at fault as stubborn as a mule. We love her for that for the most part, but this isn't helping her reputation as a touring artist.

7 minutes ago, o_g_c_x said:

It will happen but not all dates...

I honestly don't think she's going to go until March like this.

She just had a break of 3 weeks between the USA and Lisbon. Now she's not even managing to do 2 shows 2 days in a row. She won't do this. The backlash would be too much.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic