Spotify Streaming Question: Same Song... Different Place

gafuller

So, I was working towards making a radio like playlist for boosting streams to not just her new singles but the rest of her singles catalog when I came across an interesting problem... or not a problem really, but I can't seem to find a definite solution. For example: Does Don't Tell Me for the album Music share streaming numbers with Don't Tell Me from Celebration? If so, if the version is a different edit (4 Minutes from Hard Candy and 4 Minutes from Celebration) do they not share streaming numbers? This may be a no brainer, but I was wondering if anyone else around had the answer off the top of their head.

This is the problem with Madonna's page on Spotify. Same as Youtube tbh, many versions are uploaded and the views / plays are getting splitted. I think they count them for charts, they count each version (maybe live audios too idk) but her team should've contract Spotify and fix the plays. Each version of Like a Prayer, Material Girl, 4 Minutes etc could've reach already 150 million plays if the plays weren't splitted in 3-4 versions. It can't be fixed but Spotify or her team won't bother.

Hi there!

Spotify's automatic algorithm/system "decides" if two versions of a song are essentially the same song and then combines plays for both (or all) of them. In this case, the same number of plays will show on each version of the song.

This usually happens when the lenght is the same, even though the mastering is different, for instance: "Music" on the "Music" album and on the "Celebration" album. Both are 3:46 but different mastering (terrible on "Celebration" haha) - but for Spotify's algorithm they're the same song.

"Don't Tell Me" on "Celebration" is a shorter edit, so Spotify takes it as a different track. Same as "4 Minutes" and others.

The worst case is "Like A Prayer": the "Celebration" version is basically the album version (originally 5:41) "remastered" but, for some reason, it's a little slower (5:43), so it's considered a different version for Spotify and plays with the "Like A Prayer" album version are not combined. Both combined are over 125 million plays now.

Madonna's digital back catalogue is a bit of a mess, anyway. Different versions and mixes on old albums and of course no singles/EP before 2005. :(

5 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Hi there!

Spotify's automatic algorithm/system "decides" if two versions of a song are essentially the same song and then combines plays for both (or all) of them. In this case, the same number of plays will show on each version of the song.

Like a Prayer album version and Celebration are the same and they aren't matched. Check "Someday" by Mariah on Spotify. Live version + studio are connected, cause her team asked Spotify to do it i guess. The male version of "Strong Enough" by Cher is connected with the original too, same plays.

Her team is just useless and ruin her page, as they ruin her Youtube page.