Sign in to follow this  
groovyguy

Madame X is Here - The Positive Thread

Recap:

Madonna’s favorite track is probably Dark Ballet because the song changes gears so many times. It starts off one way, then it becomes classical. A lot of modern and classical sounds. Dark Ballet was inspired by Stanley Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange. On October 26th, 2018, Mirwais posted on Instagram a famous scene from Clockwork Orange, and Madonna commented with “dark ballet.” Mirwais replied to her with “very dark.”

Killers Who Are Partying’, includes lyrics: I’ll be Israel if Israel is imprisoned / I’ll be Islam, if Islam is attacked” What Mirwais and Madonna want to say in this song is that they don’t see the world in a fragmented way, but as a unity. And she is part of it. She sees herself as an aspect of the Universe’s soul. She doesn’t see the world through categories and labels. But society loves to categorize and separate people: the poors, the gays, the Africans… because it gives us a feeling of safety. What she says in this song is that she will embody each case in which people try to lock us in. To her, the song is an act and a declaration of solidarity.

Mirwais produced songs includes Medellín, Dark Ballet, God Control, Batuka, Killers Who Are Partying, Extreme Occident, and I Don’t Search I Find.

‘Killers Who Are Partying’ is the first song they created. It’s a political song. The guitar heard at the beginning of the song is a sample that she recorded during a fado session. She felt inspired by the melancholy and the feeling of this music, by the sound of Cesaria Evora, the morna and Cape Verde. The authenticity of the music that she hears everywhere in Portugal has touched her.

She wanted to appropriate this music and make it more modern. She asked Mirwais: «What do you think you can do with this? Does it inspire you?». Of course, he really liked it.

Mirwais tracks include Medellín, Dark Ballet, God Control, Batuka, Killers Who Are Partying, Extreme Occident, and I Don’t Search I Find.’

In the song Dark Ballet she says “Your world is full of pain. You are not a part of «our world»? Madonna: is saying that this world where people are ruled and dominated by the illusion of fame and luck, ruled, dominated and slaved by social networks, ruled and dominated by oppressors who discriminate endlessly people.. this world, she refuses to be a part of it. This song, Dark Ballet, was inspired by Joan of Arc and her story. It’s like a junction point. Madame X and Joan of Arc come together. M speaks her words and her language and I say: «I am not afraid to die for what I believe in.»

In ‘I Rise’, we can hear a sample of Emma Gonzales’ speech, one of the survivors of the Parkland school’s shooting who became an icon of the fight against guns.

Madonna sees Emma as a spokeswoman and pioneer of her generation. She just keeps doing what she has always done. She fights for women’s right and all humans in general. She fights for equality.

On Collaboration with Dino D’Santiago:

Madonna says he was kind of an interface. He is from Cape Verde and most of the musicians from Cape Verde she worked with don’t speak English. He was with her in the studio when they were recording and was telling them what she wanted. He helped her musically to give life to these songs because she had no other way to communicate with them. Well.. in a way she did with the music. We wrote a song called Fuana that will be a bonus track. she had a song called Ciao Bella which is not on the deluxe version of the album. The singer Kimi Djabaté who comes from Guinée-Bisdseau sings on this track. Once again, it’s Dino who introduced her to him. When he came to record for this album, he didn’t speak English at all. Only créole. Dino was the translator and really helped me. When she recorded Killers Who Are Partying and Extreme Occident which are influenced by the morna, She sent them to him to have his feedbacks. 

Those who attended the listening party have described the album as extraordinary and brilliant. Lucy O’Brien commented the best is yet to come. She said there are some fantastic dark dramatic work with Mirwais. Dark Ballet, I Don’t Search I Find. There’s a beautiful, weird piano-led track, and a disco banger…hard to describe…strange world pop? One disco track takes us right back to that Detroit dance floor. She said It’s like she’s gone beyond the sales. There seem to be a couple of fillers, but they feel more like a vibe, rather than ‘we sat the production team in a room and they didn’t come up with anything’. They are more organic. She commented that Killers is  manifesto song…Madonna laying herself in the line.

I'm really excited. "Medellin", as nice as it is, was a bit meh for me. "Rise" got my attention a bit but "Crave" completely floored me and REALLY got me excited about this album. Love "Future" too.