Rumours about a new greatest hits album after Madame x

Jorick

Has anybody heard something about these new rumours. What do you wish for? What'd it gone be? Love to hear your ideas!! Our maybe there is someone on this forum who has more info?

Super excited for the Madame x album, curious about a new (if it's true) greatest hits album.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, It wouldn't be the best idea. She hasn't actually had any 'hits' since 2009 when Celebration was released... and that one wasn't exactly a big seller. If she were to release anything, then maybe an anniversary release of the Immaculate Collection (which celebrates its 30th anniversary next year), expanded with more tracks, demos, remixes, etc in special packaging. I think people would pay more attention to that than yet another poorly-conceived throwaway hits package.

It would fit Madonna's compilation pattern. However, is a hit collection still a thing? Yes, artists still do it, but this is a streaming era. What is the point if people can easily access any of those songs on steaming services? She didn't even a hit since HC era, so it would be like re-releasing Celebration with a few 2010s flops and new songs.

It would make more sense to release some special compilation. Ballads, dance songs, non-singles...

Actually, it would be great if she would release a collection of unreleased stuff and by that I don't mean just the leaked outtakes, but other stuff too. Now, that would be a huge thing for fans and critics. A hit collection won't be anything special for anyone.

There's no need for a Greatest Hits again. Not only doesn't she really have any new hits since Celebration, but people don't even buy CDs anymore. They make their own playlists. Unless she's doing it to get out of some sort of contract, Greatest Hits albums aren't really a big thing anymore, especially when you have multiple already that collect your biggest songs. If she wanted to do a singles package collection - something she has yet to really do, that'd be a lucrative venture. It'd be an investment for fans. The gp just isn't big on greatest hits anymore.

I think how Like a Prayers production was done for Eurovision would be a cool reimagining. If the songs collected are remade, then maybe it’d worth it. But it could messy fast and not all songs need that kind of attention. Girl Gone Wild and Ghosttown could stay the same. Or be tweaked. But they’d have to be fifteenth for them to matter, if that.

9 hours ago, ScottyX said:

Ya i don't think it is even a rumour. just something someone made up.

Very much so !
Sade had a few singles out after a few years gap and they were bunged on a NEW 'Greatest Hits'.
Probably nothing to do with her and someone's just thought that since Madge has a 'new album' out [no Really !] that the same sorta thing will happen ?
Donna Summer etc etc 'fans' will know 'wot' I mean....:thinker:

1 hour ago, LVX said:

A straight up greatest hits album doesn’t make any sense at this point. But a collection of unreleased songs would be more than welcome.

It would.
But she has been asked about her 'early punk days' and c o u l d she allow Anything to be released.
On CD etc 'cleaned up'.
Guess the answer they got.

I do think it’s a contract thing. We know she was never super enthusiastic about these things.

Not really into the unreleased songs idea, most of them were probably left off for a reason. Maybe as a bonus disc. Actually a box set would be great - two discs of hits, two discs of album tracks chosen by fans and two discs of unreleased songs and demos. Plus she could charge 200+ dollars for it

I would argue we haven't had a good career spanning GH since...well, "The Immaculate Collection", and even that was 15 remixes basically. Saying compilations aren't selling, or that anyone can make a Madonna hits collection on Spotify... both false. Most of Madonna's single edits aren't available anywhere to stream, and you can check my topic on Single Edits to see how many of them are missing exactly. I'd say approx 80%. And compilations are still a chart staple, they sell really well, and yeah, it's probably an older generation, but that's an underrated demographic. 
So yeah, a well done and well thought of Greatest Hits would be more than welcome. I'm especially opposed to any reworkings, especially with the current state of her voice. We gotta pitch down "Lucky Star" 4 semitones or something!

an anniversary release of the Immaculate Collection (which celebrates its 30th anniversary next year), expanded with more tracks, demos, remixes, etc in special packaging. 

This would be marketing genius in fairness.

However, she doesn't tend to like looking backwards that much and record label changeovers might prohibit using all the artwork etc.

To add - another greatest hits album? I mean REALLY?

After the last few albums which failed to capture her essence, instead chasing collaborations and fads - all the while not really achieving the 'hit' status they coveted.

They had some stand-out moments - but most of these weren't released.

Namely, Beat goes on, I'm addicted and Messiah which (arguably) stood out amongst the turds.

...To make me look less of a troll, I'm really enjoying MX era. ;)

A greatest hits album wouldn’t do well. The Immaculate Collection was released after a stunning run in the 80s and opened up her next decade, GHV2 came after her comeback of Ray of Light and the massive Music, Celebration rounded off her biggest selling tour ever. There’s just no point to releasing a new compilation, it’s annoying that these are contractual obligations.

Geez, she can't win, can she? On the one hand, fans always complain how she doesn't respect, honour or even acknowledge her legacy and her back catalog (nothing for 20 years of Ray of Light, nothing for 30 years of True Blue, a playlist for 30 years of Like A Prayer, etc). Greatest Hits can be a great way of doing do that - given that it's done right of course. At the moment there really isn't a comprehensive Madonna greatest hits package - Celebration was a poorly executed attempt at that but it fell shortly, both in terms of songs included/excluded and its quality.