Rumours about a new greatest hits album after Madame x

Jorick

On 8/31/2019 at 10:11 PM, fiercemighty said:

This is well thought out, though Turn Up the Radio appears twice. 

Also, was The Look of Love really popular at the time of its release? Genuinely don't know. 

The Look of Love was played to death on Radio 1 in the UK.
There was a time 'she' could do no wrong.
Someone wrote into the BBC TV complaints show [Points Of View] to ask WHY Radio 1 were playing a record that wasn't in the Top 40 so much.
Dear Jessie got 19 'plays' he said.....the boss of a factory where music was on all day.....and night.
He gave up counting after that many.

Madam X as A Remix Collection, I can see but not another Greatest Hits.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Fan remixes are better than what she'd ever commision Tracy Young or Offer Nissim to do.

And her work needs to be updated with the times. Celebration was a complete mess with pops, bad cuts, amateur errors and a DVD that resembled a bootleg with censored videos.

That was nothing to do with her and just a contract fulfilment 'album'.

16 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

her work needs to be updated with the times.

Couldn't agree more. That's something she never seems to get, really. Like she's always known as "queen of re-invention" or "never repeats herself" but in the last 4 album cycles, she really does repeat herself, a lot and she's always late to the party when it comes to hopping on trends which makes her look uninteresting. Not to mention how they tend to save a lot on budget in terms of designing her cover artworks, her website and basically any material related to her. It's often quite badly designed like something a beginner does at home, which is a shame really.

Also the fact that it's 2019 and 90% of her music videos are still in SD is beyond ridiculous, when artists like Kylie and Bjork have their music videos remastered already and available on YouTube in HD, at least.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:32 PM, PWCCA said:

If true, It wouldn't be the best idea. She hasn't actually had any 'hits' since 2009 when Celebration was released... and that one wasn't exactly a big seller. If she were to release anything, then maybe an anniversary release of the Immaculate Collection (which celebrates its 30th anniversary next year), expanded with more tracks, demos, remixes, etc in special packaging. I think people would pay more attention to that than yet another poorly-conceived throwaway hits package.

i totally agree

50 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I never implied that. Just the poor result and the last output of a complete body of video work released under her brand.

I happen to love many of Tracy Young's mixes and everywhere I look people are raving, literally, over the Offer Nissim ones too.
That the eventual Product was/is substandard is open to debate.
Madonna would not have had any say how it looked or sounded if she was leaving the record label.
There's always a Greatest Hits when people change labels 'n' contracts it seems.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:31 AM, professormouse said:

Madonna would not have had any say how it looked or sounded if she was leaving the record label.

If you’re talking about Celebration that is simply not true. Guy was even quizzing fans about what songs and which versions to include on social media. I’m not sure what her involvement was but she recorded new songs for the project so I’d say she was pretty involved in track list, cover art etc.

24 minutes ago, poserdemadonna said:

Probably some Brazilian fansite started that rumour

Actually, I heard it from somebody that’s generally a pretty reliable source. 

I was told it was either a new album with world music influence, or a reworked greatest hits in the same vain. Obviously she chose the former.

Id have quite liked the reworked hits.

6 hours ago, scion said:

Actually, I heard it from somebody that’s generally a pretty reliable source. 

I was told it was either a new album with world music influence, or a reworked greatest hits in the same vain. Obviously she chose the former.

Id have quite liked the reworked hits.

The rumour doesn't really make sense as she'd already announced she was working on a new album of new material well before 18 months ago. And she even did Dark Ballet at Met Gala which was 17 months ago.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:10 PM, THE ROSE MIST said:

If you’re talking about Celebration that is simply not true. Guy was even quizzing fans about what songs and which versions to include on social media. I’m not sure what her involvement was but she recorded new songs for the project so I’d say she was pretty involved in track list, cover art etc.

Edited by professormouse (see edit history)

Kylies New Greatest Hits has been a stellar  success....but she promoted it. Madonna ain’t really here for hits promo. I think a Greatest Hits Tour, a collection and some festival appearances would nail it for her. 
nothing has done as well as the Immaculate Collection because she hasn’t  really put herself behind any collection without a grudge. 

I would love a live album recording all her classic tracks - remember the production of borderline on the Jimmy Fallon show - I’m not usually a fan of Kevin Antunes but he did good on that one - either this or of course we all want unreleased demos - I’m not too fussed on remastering old albums because what does that even mean now - if you look at the prince re-issues they are great - you get demos , edits , remixes and the accompanying tour on dvd all in a nice package ;)) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 10:40 PM, drivebitch said:

It would have to be a singles collection. I can't see anyone rushing out to buy her singles from 2011-2019. It's not even long enough. Celebration at least knew to sum up her entire career up to that point as it hadn't been that long since GHV2. A singles collection would be pretty cool.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:11 AM, professormouse said:

" they're only words, unless they're true "
I can see a 'best of' her live showsand or possibly a Madam X remix package but ANOTHER 'Greatest Hits' :ahh:
I WANT her first album as a bunch of 12'' Singles...'in a box'...but what's the chances ?

Celebration wasn't focused on the 2000s. So, the next compilation probably will be similar, with some 2010 singles.

A new compilation isn't unrealistic. Madonna releases new compilations every ten years more or less.

1990 - The Immaculate Collection

2001 - GHV2

2009 - Celebration

Around this time, it would make sense. However, if LAP reissue is planned, things might change.

13 hours ago, Justice said:

Celebration wasn't focused on the 2000s. So, the next compilation probably will be similar, with some 2010 singles.

A new compilation isn't unrealistic. Madonna releases new compilations every ten years more or less.

1990 - The Immaculate Collection

2001 - GHV2

2009 - Celebration

Around this time, it would make sense. However, if LAP reissue is planned, things might change.

I can't believe this was released 10 years ago already! Time flies! I remember seeing a huge billboard in New York advertising this and walking past Mr Brainwash's studio in Hell's Kitchen, covered in Madonna's face.

The last decade was so poor in terms of charts/radio/commercial success, a new GH doesn't make sense at all. Unfortunately I don't see her re-recording old tracks either.

A new "You can dance" would probably fit better, as she topped the Billboard dance chart even with the new songs. Also STR volume 2 would work fine.

Still, I hope she accepts to release her unheard demos. We now know that only the fans are buying, and this is what we need the most, especially if we have to wait 4 more years for a new record.

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

The last decade was so poor in terms of charts/radio/commercial success, a new GH doesn't make sense at all. Unfortunately I don't see her re-recording old tracks either.

A new "You can dance" would probably fit better, as she topped the Billboard dance chart even with the new songs. Also STR volume 2 would work fine.

While I do agree I’ve noticed there are loads of old artists that release new Greatest Hits when there’s no necessity for them. I think putting something new on the shelves with new packaging and marketing probably reinvigorates interest even if the actual track list is not that different to the last Greatest Hits the artist/band did. So for that reason they may do one as 10 years is a long time ago really. Kylie’s previous one was in 2010 I think and the new one still went to #1 in the UK. These kinds of artists have a lot of collectors that buy multiple formats.

If they do do it I just hope it’s done properly with some nice surprises for fans. I wouldn’t expect any new songs from her but you never know. She surprised us with Celebration.

It would be amazing if she creates a throwback package with a Best of Madonna album featuring her singles and most remarkable tracks from then and now, a Something to Remember II album featuring the ballads that came after STR and the ones not included in it, and a video collection on Blu-Ray / 4K Blu-Ray featuring remasters of all her music videos, in addition to a remastered box set of her tours. Such releases would be a hell of a lot more valuable than just one album featuring the songs we've heard a trillion times and already own on Celebration, GHV2 and Immaculate Collection.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nobody Knows Me

A new Greatest Hits release would be completely unnecessary after Madame X if we were to get another Celebration on our hands, and if we do get that then I will assume it is contractual obligations that provoked M to release it. However, I would be very welcoming towards a proper 30th anniversary box set of The Immaculate Collection with gorgeous packaging and properly remastered songs and multiple discs etc. I’d also love to see her entire videography remastered and released in 4K HD on Blu-Ray but the chances of that happening are slim to none.
Personally, I would really love it if she released something like a sequel to You Can Dance with her greatest hits reworked with a dance and disco production by Stuart Price, like the Take That Odyssey album, OR an album of her greatest hits reworked with a live band similar to that on The Girlie Show World Tour. Either of those would be really special, in my opinion.