Rumours about a new greatest hits album after Madame x

Jorick

The next greatest hits needs to be 'You Can Dance' #2, yet this time it's structured and mixed like a DJ set (as what was done with COADF) with a few volumes containing different tracks. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Immaculate Collection was released in November 1990.
  • Greatest Hits Volume 2 was released in November 2001.
  • Celebration was released in September 2009.
  • Either 2019 or 2020 sounds like it's time for a new collection of songs, but...

What concept should she use this time to get our attention and most importantly OUR MONEY?

Immaculate had all these especially designed remix edits that made that compilation of hits feel like something fresh and new = not only fans but people in general needed to get that album because Madonna was EVERYWHERE and she was the most popular up to 1990-1991.

GHV2 was more of an introduction to a younger audience (like me at that time) to her 90's best work. Also, she was still enjoying the success produced thanks to albums like Ray Of Light and Music. It's true GHV2 didn't offer anything new but, at least, it included radio/single versions otherwise unavailable in most of her CDs released worldwide. Maybe it would have been perfect with the inclusion of a couple of new songs/omitted singles like You'll See and Rain but I guess Warner didn't want to affect the Something To Remember sales.

Celebration was a title they desperately used because Greatest Hits is a concept Madonna CANNOT AFFORD anymore. The 2000s barely produced a couple of memorable hits so yeah, why not capitalize on her whole career now so it reminds people of the good old days by including some original versions plus forgotten tracks like Everybody, Burning Up, Dress You Up, and Who's That Girl? Let's not forget the Sticky & Sweet Tour had just ended and it seemed that everybody and her mother had finally seen Madonna live! Honestly, I could have done with Celebration the song as the only bonus as Revolver was really a total disappointment and It's So Cool is something 50% of her fanbase doesn't even know it exists. Still, many fans are missing a goddamn copy of the LP! So, a reissue of this compilation on vynil doesn't sound that awful. I can already picture hundreds of fans running desperately to order it online!

I believe 2020 will be a year we can all see a new compilation in the horizon but the question is also what title Madonna should choose this time. 'The Best of Madonna' sounds like something she would never do as it sounds so simple and monotone. An album of acoustic/symphonic reinterpretations of the glorious past sounds a little bit sad, and inviting other people to record duets is so un-madonna! Tell me, apart from the gays who else in the world knows that Kylie and Sophie EB recorded such projects? Madonna is more universal than that. She doesn't need it nor I think she will do it anyway.

I can't see a collection of demos/unreleased songs being released as a main compilation. As much as I love the idea, I can't really see a new Madonna album being promoted like 'here is a collection of songs that weren't even considered to be released in the first place because they weren't good enough plus most of this stuff leaked for free on the internet'. As a bonus CD maybe, as a main album definitely not.

A collection of tour studio versions would be a little more innovative in my opinion. Just polish some vocals, add some magical mixing here and there and voilà: you get an updated album in the vein of The Immaculate Collection! And to satisfy grumpy and picky OCD collectors, what better than presenting them in chronological order!

Example:

01 Everybody (Confessions promo version)

02 Holiday (DWT version)

03 Like A Virgin (CT version)

04 Material Girl (RHT version)

05 Into The Groove (S&S version)

06 La Isla Bonita (RHT version)

etc.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
20 minutes ago, madgefan said:
  • The Immaculate Collection was released in November 1990.
  • Greatest Hits Volume 2 was released in November 2001.
  • Celebration was released in September 2009.
  • Either 2019 or 2020 sounds like it's time for a new collection of songs, but...

What concept should she use this time to get our attention and most importantly OUR MONEY?

Immaculate had all these especially designed remix edits that made that compilation of hits feel like something fresh and new = not only fans but people in general needed to get that album because Madonna was EVERYWHERE and she was the most popular up to 1990-1991.

GHV2 was more of an introduction to a younger audience (like me at that time) to her 90's best work. Also, she was still enjoying the success produced thanks to albums like Ray Of Light and Music. It's true GHV2 didn't offer anything new but, at least, it included radio/single versions otherwise unavailable in most of her CDs released worldwide. Maybe it would have been perfect with the inclusion of a couple of new songs/omitted singles like You'll See and Rain but I guess Warner didn't want to affect the Something To Remember sales.

Celebration was a title they desperately used because Greatest Hits is a concept Madonna CANNOT AFFORD anymore. The 2000s barely produced a couple of memorable hits so yeah, why not capitalize on her whole career now so it reminds people of the good old days by including some original versions plus forgotten tracks like Everybody, Burning Up, Dress You Up, and Who's That Girl? Let's not forget the Sticky & Sweet Tour had just ended and it seemed that everybody and her mother had finally seen Madonna live! Honestly, I could have done with Celebration the song as the only bonus as Revolver was really a total disappointment and It's So Cool is something 50% of her fanbase doesn't even know it exists. Still, many fans are missing a goddamn copy of the LP! So, a reissue of this compilation on vynil doesn't sound that awful. I can already picture hundreds of fans running desperately to order it online!

I believe 2020 will be a year we can all see a new compilation in the horizon but the question is also what title Madonna should choose this time. 'The Best of Madonna' sounds like something she would never do as it sounds so simple and monotone. An album of acoustic/symphonic reinterpretations of the glorious past sounds a little bit sad, and inviting other people to record duets is so un-madonna! Tell me, apart from the gays who else in the world knows that Kylie and Sophie EB recorded such projects? Madonna is more universal than that. She doesn't need it nor I think she will do it anyway.

I can't see a collection of demos/unreleased songs being released as a main compilation. As much as I love the idea, I can't really see a new Madonna album being promoted like 'here is a collection of songs that weren't even considered to be released in the first place because they weren't good enough plus most of this stuff leaked for free on the internet'. As a bonus CD maybe, as a main album definitely not.

A collection of tour studio versions would be a little more innovative in my opinion. Just polish some vocals, add some magical mixing here and there and voilà: you get an updated album in the vein of The Immaculate Collection! And to satisfy grumpy and picky OCD collectors, what better than presenting them in chronological order!

Example:

01 Everybody (Confessions promo version)

02 Holiday (DWT version)

03 Like A Virgin (CT version)

04 Material Girl (RHT version)

05 Into The Groove (S&S version)

06 La Isla Bonita (RHT version)

etc.

I would love to hear some tour studio versions, particularly Erotica from The Confessions Tour and Beautiful Killer / Die Another Day. I just hope the next compilation won’t be another Celebration disaster. I’d personally love tour studio versions, You Can Dance 2 or an album of hits reworked with a live band. 

In the late 90's Kylie Minogue released a series of albums titled 'Kylie's Greatest Remix Hits'. I'm pretty sure there is a demand amongst fans for M to produce a similar thing with all her remixes, especially from the 80s, 90s and 00s which also contained a few unreleased tracks. 

1.     American Life (Radio Edit) [Released: April 8, 2003]

2.     Bitch I'm Madonna [Released: June 15, 2015]

3.     Hung Up (Radio Edit) [Released: October 17, 2005]

4.     Ghosttown [Released: March 13, 2015]

5.     Crave [Released: May 10, 2019]

6.     Sorry (Radio Edit) [Released: February 7, 2006]

7.     Get Together (Radio Edit) [Released: June 6, 2006]

8.     4 Minutes [Released: March 17, 2008]

9.     Hollywood (Radio Edit) [Released: July 3, 2003]

10. Medellín [Released: April 17, 2019]

11. Give Me All Your Luvin' [Released: February 3, 2012]

12. Girl Gone Wild (Radio Edit) [Released: March 2, 2012]

13. Living for Love [Released: December 20, 2014]

14. Nothing Fails (Radio Remix) [Released: November 21, 2003]

15. Turn Up the Radio [Released: June 29, 2012]

16. Love Profusion [Released: December 8, 2003]

17. Masterpiece [Released: April 2, 2012]

18. I Rise [Released: October 4, 2019]

Guest Nobody Knows Me
2 hours ago, Enrico said:

Agree with @wtg1987

It would be a "smallest/worst" hits cd!

If she has to release a compilation, it'd better be a remix compilation, although I pray to get an unreleased demos cd... we've been waiting for 35 years! It would be, it would be so... new!

BAT + TOD anniversary would be nice to celebrate.

You Can Dance 2 with her dance greatest hits reworked with disco/dance production by Stuart Price is my dream to be honest. 
hung up dance GIF

18 hours ago, Ashley Nichols said:

The next greatest hits needs to be 'You Can Dance' #2, yet this time it's structured and mixed like a DJ set (as what was done with COADF) with a few volumes containing different tracks. 

You know that You Can Dance WAS structured like a continuous DJ set like Confessions, right? 

Not trying to sound bitchy

I think if she did a properly remastered four/five disc greatest hits spanning her entire career, like Celebration was meant to be before Warner dropped the ball, I don't really see why not.

It'd be awesome to have the single remix edit of True Blue, for example, although personally I would rather have all her albums up until Music remastered and re-released in special deluxe editions like Kylie did with her first six albums.

I will admit though that the greatest hits is coming from a fan perspective. I'm not sure how much interest people have in compilations anymore since every streaming service has an Essentials playlist for every artist. But then, Kylie did score another #1 in the UK with this year's Step Back in Time album, so who knows?

Guest Nobody Knows Me
24 minutes ago, vncsmoraes said:

I think if she did a properly remastered four/five disc greatest hits spanning her entire career, like Celebration was meant to be before Warner dropped the ball, I don't really see why not.

It'd be awesome to have the single remix edit of True Blue, for example, although personally I would rather have all her albums up until Music remastered and re-released in special deluxe editions like Kylie did with her first six albums.

I will admit though that the greatest hits is coming from a fan perspective. I'm not sure how much interest people have in compilations anymore since every streaming service has an Essentials playlist for every artist. But then, Kylie did score another #1 in the UK with this year's Step Back in Time album, so who knows?

Honestly I would love this the most however because I thought it was so unlikely I decided to focus my hopes on a different kind of compilation instead. But if she can deliver a proper career-spanning box set with amazing remasters and packaging etc then I’d be more than thrilled, and she can happily take my money. 

madonna smoking GIF

10 hours ago, Rory said:

1.     American Life (Radio Edit) [Released: April 8, 2003]

2.     Bitch I'm Madonna [Released: June 15, 2015]

3.     Hung Up (Radio Edit) [Released: October 17, 2005]

4.     Ghosttown [Released: March 13, 2015]

5.     Crave [Released: May 10, 2019]

6.     Sorry (Radio Edit) [Released: February 7, 2006]

7.     Get Together (Radio Edit) [Released: June 6, 2006]

8.     4 Minutes [Released: March 17, 2008]

9.     Hollywood (Radio Edit) [Released: July 3, 2003]

10. Medellín [Released: April 17, 2019]

11. Give Me All Your Luvin' [Released: February 3, 2012]

12. Girl Gone Wild (Radio Edit) [Released: March 2, 2012]

13. Living for Love [Released: December 20, 2014]

14. Nothing Fails (Radio Remix) [Released: November 21, 2003]

15. Turn Up the Radio [Released: June 29, 2012]

16. Love Profusion [Released: December 8, 2003]

17. Masterpiece [Released: April 2, 2012]

18. I Rise [Released: October 4, 2019]

i luv all these songs together,  i know most werent big commercial hits but i luv every single one of them

8 hours ago, BringUrLUV said:

You know that You Can Dance WAS structured like a continuous DJ set like Confessions, right? 

Not trying to sound bitchy

Yeah I know. I'm a brond so I can be forgetful and ditsy at times, sorry daddy. 

Also You Can Dance was ahead of its time and progressive as well. 

11 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

You Can Dance 2 with her dance greatest hits reworked with disco/dance production by Stuart Price is my dream to be honest. 
hung up dance GIF

What would be even better if she released different volumes by different DJ's. Stuart Price, Tracy Young, Diplo etc...

On 11/9/2019 at 5:27 AM, Ashley said:

What would be even better if she released different volumes by different DJ's. Stuart Price, Tracy Young, Diplo etc...

I'd love 'them' to release her stuff - per track - as DJ Double-Packs on 12''.
But then the press would say she's milking her fans some more.
I honestly don't think there will be any greatest hits out after this tour.
She may even do a Kate Bush 'n' vanish for awhile ?

On 11/8/2019 at 4:30 PM, vncsmoraes said:

Great observation about Kylie. The demand is still there and I think Madonna's would be a success too.

One thing to keep in mind is her labels know that Madonna fans obsess over physical media. We're all older so we much prefer vinyls/CDs to digital or streaming so they know they would BANK tons of cash from us. They could easily have several different formats:

2CD

2CD/2 DVD/Blu-ray (remastered videos)

3CD (expanded deluxe set)

2LP

2LP limited colored

4LP limited (full tracklisting)

2casette

2cassette limited colored

Deluxe Box Set: 2CD, 2LP, cassette, DVD/Blu-ray

They know her fans would buy just about all of the above.

1 hour ago, professormouse said:

I honestly don't think there will be any greatest hits out after this tour.
She may even do a Kate Bush 'n' vanish for awhile ?

You have a point. She may have a hiatus and then we'll probably see an autobiography and a final greatest hits package/box set/rarities etc... released at the same time. 

That's the only way I can see her make a huge marketing impact and gain massive mainstream interest at this stage. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Honestly, the only way a Greatest Hits would make sense after this era is if she’s planning a big tour to support it, and since i’m almost certain that won’t happen I also don’t think a Greatest Hits is happening. If she is planning on doing a Kate Bush type hiatus then I’d LOVE it if she released her memoirs/autobiography in the meantime, but Madame X really does feel like a return to creativity and innovation therefore she could keep on making brilliantly bizarre and creative music, which she’s best at. 

21 minutes ago, Ashley said:

You have a point. She may have a hiatus and then we'll probably see an autobiography and a final greatest hits package/box set/rarities etc... released at the same time. 

That's the only way I can see her make a huge marketing impact and gain massive mainstream interest at this stage. 

Supposedly Michael Jackson asked Prince for some 'advice'.
Which was to do Elvis he said.
His comeback was to do a stripped down hits show but on TV 'live'.
The one where he's in black leather, I think ?
The Press/Internet is having a field day and I suspect some guy may just get their P45 too.
I have asked if anyone's ever heard Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music ?
He was 'allegedly' asked him for Something Commercial for his next album.
And delivered 4 sides of what I can only describe as an orgy down at the phone exchange.
Walk On The Wild Side it is not.
David Bowie confused them critics with his Tin Machine 'band' too.
Basically there's several BIG music names who have killed their careers and bounced back no problem.
Whatever she does, I hope there's never any more 'featuring' going on. :thinker:

My attempt at some 'humour' has got two replies...on Youtube.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Honestly, the only way a Greatest Hits would make sense after this era is if she’s planning a big tour to support it, and since i’m almost certain that won’t happen I also don’t think a Greatest Hits is happening. If she is planning on doing a Kate Bush type hiatus then I’d LOVE it if she released her memoirs/autobiography in the meantime, but Madame X really does feel like a return to creativity and innovation therefore she could keep on making brilliantly bizarre and creative music, which she’s best at. 

She'd need to pull off a Greatest Hits version of BAT to fill stadiums with a greatest hits tour. Seriously. Minimal politics and weirdness. 

And I think the only person who could create a genuine Madonna greatest hits tour is her brother Christopher. 

5 hours ago, blondebenji said:

If God Control or I dont search I find get to No 1 on the billboard dance charts, that would make 50 no 1s.  Crave was her 49th this week.  She cold do something around that 50 No dance hits. 

IDSIF would be the one to do it.