Previous album listening challenge

nitramaj

Madame X is Madonna’s 14th album, and it’ll be released on June 14th.

Let’s all listen to M’s first 13 albums each day in June, up to the MX release.

For example, listen to the first album today, June 1. On June 3rd, listen to the third album, True Blue. On June 8th, listen to the eighth album, Music. 

Report back here on what your thoughts are after listening to each album! 

A little behind on my replies! 

Listened to the first album all day yesterday. Still so good. Her vocals are fierce and determined and most of the beats still sound fresh (I Know It is really the only track that sounds outright dated, IMO). My favorite track is Think of Me. 

I'm doing the same at my own pace since I don't know if I commit to one a day in case I get wrapped up with things so a day like today I got through True Blue, Who's That Girl, Spotlight and Like A Prayer.

I'm including soundtracks (the 2 disc of Evita), live albums, Something To Remember and then Spotlight, Rescue Me, Justify My Love, Revolver and Celebration where appropriate. I'll throw in some bonus tracks as well.

I listened to True Blue today. It’s like the original Rebel Heart. Half deep and heavy and half light and fun. White Heat was a blast to hear again in the car. I wish there was an edit without the sample. It’s cool, but hearing that over and over trying to hear the song sort of ruins it. The album really reflects the change in her life, what marriage and maturing truly renders in one’s art. If I’d made any changes, I’d released a version that includes Spotlight, Who’s That Girl, Causing a Commotion, Look of Love, and Can’t Stop.  

Favorite Track: La Isla Bonita

Been behind on my updates! Work’s been crazy!

Listened to Like A Virgin on June 2. The album that made her a superstar. I find it to be less edgy and more mainstream-sounding than the debut. To my ear, it also sounds more dated than the debut. But the material is strong (in my opinion, there’s not a filler song in the bunch), the vocals are still fierce (apart from the awful vocal mixing on Angel), the melodies are catchy, and it’s brimming with Madonna personality. My fave track is Pretender.