Madame X Tour | London

GleNergie

10 hours ago, Enrico said:

2. About the backing track. This is so interesting. We should start a thread about this, sharing selected performances like the Vogue GS mic feed @boytoy77please! @Alan LeggateI don't remember any show with M saying "turn my mic up", which ones are you referring to? @scionI loved your details and would love to know more about the vocal mix is made: the vocal engineer decides how much the real voice is heard? I would love to know more about the different sound in LFL Brits audience vs tv and also what the MXT musicians are playing live... I am doing the backstage tour and I think we can ask questions, so please suggest some!

This subject has been discussed to death and there's already been a topic on this:

25 minutes ago, kesiak said:

This subject has been discussed to death and there's already been a topic on this

You're right, but we need to update with the MXT experience.

Until yesteday, many stated that M was singing live. Then the fact that even the musicians were not really playing all the time started to be discussed.

I feel the mixing technique of the real voice and the backing track confuses people. As a singer and a musician, I don't like the idea of backing track and I can't call it a "real" live, especially if, for some reason, even if M is singing, the live vocals are covered by something else for a choice made at the mixer.

8 minutes ago, Enrico said:

You're right, but we need to update with the MXT experience.

Until yesteday, many stated that M was singing live. Then the fact that even the musicians were not really playing all the time started to be discussed.

I feel the mixing technique of the real voice and the backing track confuses people. As a singer and a musician, I don't like the idea of backing track and I can't call it a "real" live, especially if, for some reason, even if M is singing, the live vocals are covered by something else for a choice made at the mixer.

M IS singing live all the time.  You wouldn't even know if the musicians are playing since you can't see them.

Pop music is about backing tracks and vocal layers.  M is the ultimate pop artist.

Just now, stfan97 said:

M IS singing live all the time. 

Yup and you can clearly hear it on the audio recordings. This conversation however, which seems to come back everytime she hits the road is just so dull. If someone can't allow themselves to enjoy a show because there's a backing track here and there then I suppose it's their prerogative. But it's bewildering in case of Madonna especially, since backing tracks were used on her live shows as far back as The Virgin Tour. That's 35 years folks, time to let that one go. I also don't know how much of it stems from a genuine love of live music and how much is a form of internalised Madonnaphobia - trying to find flaws and things to criticise her for before the general public or press does it for us. I saw Dolly Parton a few years back and even she lipped half of her show (and I mean lipped, not just sang over a backing track). It still was great and she's still a fucking legend. Who cares? Yawn. :)

34 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

M IS singing live all the time.  You wouldn't even know if the musicians are playing since you can't see them.

Pop music is about backing tracks and vocal layers.  M is the ultimate pop artist.

She is singing MOST of the time, but that doesn’t mean she’s clearly audible in the mix. She isn’t audibly live on most performances of Medellin for example. Most of I Rise chorus for example is pure tape. 

It’s just that with this tour there’s the added aspect of real time pitch correction (both robotic and natural sounding) to contend with as well as prerecorded vocals. 

some people will love this topic, some will hate it, it’s no problem regardless, and no reason not to discuss it...

If you think this is annoying, try a Celine Dion forum for topics about playback, it’s literally a daily occurrence.

edit- I was Dolly in 2011 and she mimed the ENTIRE show. Great show mind, lovely fun experience but the entire show was taped.

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

I also don't know how much of it stems from a genuine love of live music and how much is a form of internalised Madonnaphobia - trying to find flaws and things to criticise her for before the general public or press does it for us.

Quote of the year!

1 hour ago, stfan97 said:

You're so naive...

Her voice is live melted into pre recorded vocals much louder than her voice...

What you call pop music is only reduced to the amount of some lazy singers... 90% of the concert I go to are 100% live pop music with real musicians... And the power of live music is incredibly higher than pre recording shits...

Oh the time of the Girlie show tour... Very few pre recorded song, all musicians live... And the Drowned world tour... Only one single song pre recorded : Sky fits heaven. ALL OTHERS SONGS were totally live. Madonna's real voice directly... I'm sad not to get this feeling anymore. Especially in a theatre where you ear everything. I felt fucked up by Madonna... She thinks she can do everything, starting late, cancels songs of her shows, asking huge amounts of money for what she calls "charity" but it's sad.

And years after years her success is weaker than ever. I don't care about her age. She still can be awesome. Madame X is an excellent album. Better than the shits she produced between 2008 and 2015 (I save many songs of course but let's face it, they were her worsts albums... Especially MDNA). Then she did Madame X which was like the following good album she should have done after Confessions. Still on top of quality.

Just sad she didn't succeed the theater concert for me... Tickets too expensive, charity between very rich people and reject the "too poor" people, pre recording of music and vocals instead of having a totally live music (of course she can have pre recorded effects and samples... of course)... 

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

Yup and you can clearly hear it on the audio recordings. This conversation however, which seems to come back everytime she hits the road is just so dull. If someone can't allow themselves to enjoy a show because there's a backing track here and there then I suppose it's their prerogative. But it's bewildering in case of Madonna especially, since backing tracks were used on her live shows as far back as The Virgin Tour. That's 35 years folks, time to let that one go. I also don't know how much of it stems from a genuine love of live music and how much is a form of internalised Madonnaphobia - trying to find flaws and things to criticise her for before the general public or press does it for us. I saw Dolly Parton a few years back and even she lipped half of her show (and I mean lipped, not just sang over a backing track). It still was great and she's still a fucking legend. Who cares? Yawn. :)

I agree. I could care less about lip syncing or singing over backing tracks etc. . It's all part of Madonna's art and I love it.  How she gets it out there is irrelevant imo. 

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

I am sorry if you find the conversation boring, but I hope you won't dare to compare the great live musical arrangements of WTGT and GS with the fake sounds we have been hearing in the past tours. Those shows prove that pop can also be of great musical quality, and I'm not talking about M's vocal performance. And yes, it's a genuine love for live music that makes me say this. With the MX theatre experience and the great musicians involved in this tour, many of us - I can mention at least @stefoor @Belor @mirtillohere - were hoping to get that live sound back, but unfortunately we didn't. When I listen to the MXT recordings, I don't have the impression that the musicians are playing live, and I am curious to know what is happening technically. That's all.

12 minutes ago, Enrico said:

I am sorry if you find the conversation boring, but I hope you won't dare to compare the great live musical arrangements of WTGT and GS with the fake sounds we have been hearing in the past tours. And yes, it's a genuine love for live music that makes me say this. With the MX theatre experience and the great musicians involved in this tour, many of us - I can mention at least @stefoor @Belor @mirtillohere - were hoping to get that live sound back, but unfortunately we didn't. That's all.

Are you always this dramatic? I "won't dare"? Come on... :kissy:

And yes, I would love her to have the Girlie Show band back and yes, I was hoping that this time around we'd get more of that type of a concert music wise. But we didn't and it's alright. I just don't see how productive is this cyclical moaning about her not living up to our hopes and expectations. She'll be gone sooner than we think, time flies, and then we will wish we could have her back for just one more time, lip syncing, vocoder and all. I'm just happy she's still being creative, trying new things and being an artist - a flawed, human and complex one but alive and trying. :)

I am not sure but I think that in the making of, or the teaser of Madame X you can hear some songs in the background demo like, Batuka in particular, without vocoder. I think that many songs on this album did not need this.  This last album would have allowed Madonna to sing it totally live and get rid of effects on stage to get yet a more ethnic feel. 

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

When I listen to the MXT recordings, I don't have the impression that the musicians are playing live, and I am curious to know what is happening technically. That's all.

Start up the thread. My second show I paid extra attention to the featured musicians and I can tell you they are playing live. Some, like Madonna, are playing with other prerecorded instrumentation... like Frozen to get that full orchestra effect you cannot get with 3 or 4 strings players. 

2 hours ago, kesiak said:

Are you always this dramatic? I "won't dare"? Come on... :kissy:

And yes, I would love her to have the Girlie Show band back and yes, I was hoping that this time around we'd get more of that type of a concert music wise. But we didn't and it's alright. I just don't see how productive is this cyclical moaning about her not living up to our hopes and expectations. She'll be gone sooner than we think, time flies, and then we will wish we could have her back for just one more time, lip syncing, vocoder and all. I'm just happy she's still being creative, trying new things and being an artist - a flawed, human and complex one but alive and trying. :)

Thank you!  Just thank you!  And it's always the same people over and over being so pessimistic about everything.  I don't get why some have to constantly complain about everything? They overtake a thread and that's all people fight over.  It's stupid to me.  Why can't we just enjoy the fact she's still here entertaining us?  She's going to be 62 in a few months. No doubt, we aren't going to get any new music from her for a few more years, so we need to savor what she gives us.  She may not be perfect, but who is. Whatever she does at this point, it's just the icing on the cake for me.  No one cares about all this negativity that mostly fans harp over.  If you're that distress over who she is now, then just enjoy the nearly 40 years of work beforehand.  Most artists are lucky to be this famous, this visible and still bringing in such crowds for their concerts this late in their life. 

3 hours ago, Andymad said:

All I know is, she’s never sounded better singing Vogue live.

Agreed, but then again it’s not a physical performance and of course there’s digital assistance. 

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

Start up the thread. My second show I paid extra attention to the featured musicians and I can tell you they are playing live. Some, like Madonna, are playing with other prerecorded instrumentation... like Frozen to get that full orchestra effect you cannot get with 3 or 4 strings players. 

But you can get that kind of full feel with just four players, the players could be digitally double tracked while playing level, given a chorus effect, padded out with reverb... instead they’re apparently playing to a 22yo studio recording... that’s the shame here. So much live potential of musicians that are literally being limited by a musical direction who wouldn’t know a decent arrangement if it was dangled in front of his face.

3 hours ago, Enrico said:

I am sorry if you find the conversation boring, but I hope you won't dare to compare the great live musical arrangements of WTGT and GS with the fake sounds we have been hearing in the past tours. Those shows prove that pop can also be of great musical quality, and I'm not talking about M's vocal performance. And yes, it's a genuine love for live music that makes me say this. With the MX theatre experience and the great musicians involved in this tour, many of us - I can mention at least @stefoor @Belor @mirtillohere - were hoping to get that live sound back, but unfortunately we didn't. When I listen to the MXT recordings, I don't have the impression that the musicians are playing live, and I am curious to know what is happening technically. That's all.

This.

all of this.

i so love your posts. 
one thing we have in common Enrico is a love of real live music.

3 hours ago, Enrico said:

Her sound has clearly evolved from era to era.  The Mirwais/ROL sound that many love (and I hate) is the definition of electronic, robotic, non-instrumental music you hear in Madame X the album.  I don't know why you would have expected differently from Madame X the theater show?  I just don't see the point in setting yourself up for disappointment before you've even attended.  I hope you have a great time, anyway. :)

4 hours ago, Enrico said:

That’s exactly how I feel - I’ve always wondered why she bothers to have back up singers and “ musicians “ if all she is going to do is use backing tracks for the majority of the show ? I miss the “ live “ sound of her 80s and 90s shows and thought being in a theatre she would go back to it ? ?

8 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

That’s exactly how I feel - I’ve always wondered why she bothers to have back up singers and “ musicians “ if all she is going to do is use backing tracks for the majority of the show ? I miss the “ live “ sound of her 80s and 90s shows and thought being in a theatre she would go back to it ? ?

I must admit, there is no better Madonna experience than watching the WTGT with virtual surround on a 5.1 system and playing it loudly. Peak Madonna right there. 

alternatively the deal 5.1 mix of GS is superb, I just find most of the concert excruciatingly boring besides JML.

2 minutes ago, lmvc said:

Ohhh... Today's audience is about to enter! Reading about if M does playback makes me Zzzzz.... 

Let's start with the show of tonite!

01 febrero.jpg

THANK YOUUUUU

BTW, according to her message, it seems that the next (and last ?) cancellation will be the 25/02 in Paris. What do you think ?

• Fighter unfeatured this topic