Fighter

The 'Madame X' Fan Reviews Thread

I'm still not qualified to rate each song, but I can say Madame X is the album that has most strongly made my heart beat in my first listen since Confessions on a Dance Floor.

My overall rating is 9.5/10.

As a Spaniard, I have to say it has shaken me to hear Madonna singing in both Spanish and Portuguese. It is a delight to listen to her.

I'm so in love with Dark Ballet, God Control, Batuka, I Don't Search I Find and Extreme Occident... oh my God... and what so beautiful songs are Looking for Mercy, Killers Who Are Partying, Crave and I Rise... I got literally melted... Crazy and Future are soooo fresh and enjoyable. And Annita's and Maluma's tracks are not bad either even if they are not my favorites, plus they help to complete the perfect journey to the magical world of Madame X.

Bravo, Madonna! :clapp:

(reposting my comments here so I can edit)

On first listen, the new tracks that hit me were :

Killers Who Are Partying 

Crazy

Come Alive

Faz Gostoso

Looking for Mercy

(went to pee between Bitch I'm Loca and I Don't Search I Find... )

On second listen, some (others) stand out :

God Control > crazy

Killers > my favourite so far. The message is simple, the melody is super catchy. M&M at their best.

Faz Gostoso > makes me want to go to Brazil

Extreme Occident > they made it short, very cleverly built

and Batuka needs to be a highlight of the tour !

Medellin, Dark Ballet, Future and Crave really do blend in very smoothly. They were smart single and pre-release choices.

I Rise is really her worst album closer since... Stay. It's too preachy (which is probably one of the album's flaws, but at least most of the lyrics aren't generic, she put a lot into it.)

The morning after, I'm still puzzled by I Don't Search I Find. It doesn't blend in so well. For me it has nothing to do with Vogue or Confessions, it's more a mash-up between Runaway Lover and Thief of Hearts. I still have to pinpoint what the song brings to M discography. Can be a fan favourite on stage, has the structure to incorporate elements from other dance tracks and make a nice dance medley with Rescue Me and Goodbye to Innocence for example.

Her vocals on Looking for Mercy are mental. This track should end the album, not I Rise.

36 hours after, discovering the bonus tracks. They're probably supposed to be the icing on the cake, not sure those were necessary at this point. Too bad there aren't b-sides anymore. Ciao Bella stands out, of course, though I don't like the guitar at all. God Control, Killers, Extreme Occident and Mercy hold the top for the moment.

Medellín 5/10

Dark Ballet 9/10

God Control 9/10

Future 4/10

Batuka 5/10

Killers Who Are Partying 8/10

Crave 6/10

Crazy 7/10

Come Alive 5/10

Extreme Occident 7/10

Faz Gostoso 7/10 (I was surprised)

Bitch I’m Loca 2/10 (the worst 🤮)

I Don’t Search I Find 7/10 (good song, very ‘90...I like it so much but please don’t compare it to Vogue -.-)

Looking for Mercy 9/10

I Rise 8/10

Funana 6/10

Back That Up to the Beat 5/10

Ciao Bella 7/10

Full Album 7/10

Medellin 9

Dark Ballet 10

God Control 10

Future 6

Batuka 10

Killers Who Are Partying 10

Crave 8

Crazy 8

Come Alive 7

Extreme Occident 10

Faz Gostoso 9

Bitch I’m Loca 8

I Don’t Search I Find 10

Looking for Mercy 9

I Rise 8

Madame X

9/10

Love, love it from the first hearing, best album since confessions 

God Control has to be one of her best songs ever

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

medellin: 7/10

dark ballet: 9/10

god control: 10/10

future: 9/10

batuka: 5/10

killers: 10/10

crave: 9/10

crazy: 9/10

come alive: 9/10

extreme occident: 10/10

faz gostoso: 7/10

bitch i'm loca: 0/10

i dont search i find: 10/10

looking for mercy: 10/10

i rise: 10/10

Back the up to the beat: 7/10

ciao bella: 9/10

funana: 10/10

I only have to say that at first, some songs was a little bit difficult for me, but every song except (B I'm Loca, that I can't listen at all), became powerful the more I listen to them.

Some songs like: dark ballet, Idon't search I find, looking for mercy, god control and I rise was the best for me at first listen.

I think it will be one of my favorites album from her.So proud to be a Madonna fan these days.

4 minutes ago, Jascka said:

:thumbsup:

tumblr_mvwnndhoA21rhgjbzo7_250.gif 

This trio: Medellín, Bitch & Soltera. :yarn:

wow if you don't like the songs i will absolute love them all hehe 

medellin: 8/10

dark ballet: 5/10

god control: 7/10

future: 7/10

batuka: 10/10

killers: 8/10

crave: 10/10

crazy: 9/10

come alive: 8/10

faz gostoso: 8/10

bitch i'm loca: 8/10

i rise: 9/10

Back the up to the beat: 7/10

ciao bella: 9/10

funana: 9/10

Album as a unity 9/10

D4Sw9r9XkAEEH-O.jpg

The only real album cover, bitches. Deal with it.

Madame X. Here we go...

Medellin [8/10] Not the strongest song on the album but a very good and fun lead single. I remember how much I enjoyed it when it came out and how much renewed love I felt for her after so many years. This song gave me that magical but fleeting moment. 

Dark Ballet [9/10] I love this experiment. It's crazy and ridiculous but it all works. This is her at her most adventurous and I love it. 

God Control [10/10] Another crazy song. The intro makes you think, I'm about to listen to a song like American Life, but then it just completely surprises you. I absolutely love the "People think that I'm insane" part. The lyrics are poignant but never stop being fun and funny and odd. This is quintessential Madonna yet feels totally new. Can't wait for that supposed video. 

Future [8/10] Fun but with a great message. Not sure if I fully believe it coming from her but hopefully over time I'll be proven wrong. 

Batuka [8/10] I absolutely love this track. It's not for everyone and not for every mood but it's full of life.

Killers Who Are Partying [5/10] - Very hard to digest. The production is top notch and it is musically beautiful, but to me it comes across narcissistic. If it wasn't for the lyrics, i would give this a 10. Shame that this was the music I was looking forward to the most from all the teasers, that bit from the "Welcome To The World of Madame X" video sounded amazing, and it still does, but here it's sped up and it doesn't sound as interesting. A beautiful clunker. 

Crave [9/10] I love this song as a single. I love Swae Lee and I'm glad they collabed. The production is great and so is her vocal performance. 

Crazy [8/10] - The production is great, her vocal performance is awesome and really fits the vintage vibe of the song. It's a very unpretentious album track and very enjoyable.

Come Alive [6/10] This one is the weakest for me musically, it feels like a Rebel Heart track. I like the choir, but other than that I feel like the production could be better, even for a melody that isn't that great. Her voice is very nasal like on many RH tracks. Honestly I can see myself skipping this one a lot. :/ 

Extreme Occident [10/10] The lyrics are very interesting. Musically it is top notch as well. We needed this type of song, this is the music people should be able to find on a Madonna album. Melodic, dramatic, poignant and a bit unpredictable. Her vocals are beautiful. That piano performance. Those background vocals. The melody. 

Faz Gostoso [9/10] This song is pure fun. Really glad she recorded this and put it in the album!!! Very new for her but it fits her like a glove. Her vocals also sound very good. 

Bitch I'm Loca [8/10] Another extremely fun track. 

I Don't Search I Find [7/10] This is kind of a simple track, and a nostalgia experiment, but it could've ended up being much more pretentious or obvious, instead it's very relaxing. It's like a song straight from the early 90s. I guess it's just Madonna making the music she likes without overthinking it and i'm here for it. 

Looking For Mercy [9/10] This one feels like it's not gonna be all that at first, but quickly becomes powerful. I really love the lyrics, the melody and her vocal performance. it's perfectly placed towards the end of the album. 

I Rise [7/10] I loved it at first when it was released, and it's still a great track but in the context of the album, it's not among the very best. However, it's a solid closing track. 

//Bonus Tracks ---------------

Funana [6/10] I love this little weird oddity. It's bonus track material but I like it. I'm thankful she didn't mention that one highly talented but highly troubled artist.

Back That Up To The Beat [6/10] It's a bit overproduced like many Rebel Heart tracks. But it's not bad. Not essential but it's ok.

Ciao Bella [5/10] - Love her voice in this. Totally bonus track material tho. Not really essential. 

-----------------------------------------------/

Conclusion: A return to form musically after 3 albums. It feels like the music is truly alive again. I don't speak portuguese but I love the parts she sings in portuguese, they add a lot to the songs. I'm glad this album wasn't the "loungey" album that I feared it could end up being, while still incorporating a lot of acoustic instruments. The electronic elements fit fantastically. It feels like there's less duality than in American Life, everything blends better. It's eclectic without feeling pretentious or try hard. On the last few albums there were touches of genius but it felt like her confidence wasn't that strong, but on this album she goes all the way, almost always in the right direction. Album rating: 8.5/10

Medellin: 7/10

Dark ballet: 6/10

God control: 9/10

future: 9/10

batuka:  4/10

killers:  7/10

crave: 7/10

crazy:  3/10

come alive: 10/10

extreme occident: 8/10

faz gostoso: 6/10

bitch i'm loca: 8/10

i dont search i find: 9/10

looking for mercy: 9/10

i rise: 5/10

My ratings....

medellin: 8/10

dark ballet: 7/10

god control: 10/10

future: 10/10

batuka: 6/10

killers: 8/10

crave: 10/10

crazy: 10/10

come alive: 8/10

faz gostoso: 8/10

bitch i'm loca: 10/10

i rise: 9/10

Back the up to the beat: 6/10

ciao bella: 7/10

funana: 9/10

Album as a unity 10/10

Medellín - Love this song so much, it was the official beginning of the era, this is where the Madame X journey begins. Chill but irresistible. 10/10

Dark Ballet - The album's weirdest moment, it works great in context but I still wish it had a stronger final section, it's too short. 7/10

God Control - Not a big fan of the way she sings in the beginning but I'll get used to it in a matter of days because everything else about this song is amazing. I'm a huge sucker for disco and the contrast with the lyrics creates a psychedelic vibe. My favorite song on the album. 10/10

Future - Remains a mixed bag to me with the robotic vocals and Quavo (completely unnecessary) but I have listened to it a lot and it's stayed with me. 6/10

Batuka - Interesting sound but there's something missing for me. An important part of Madame X thematically. 5/10

Killers Who Are Partying - The infamous parts of the lyrics are really over the top, even for Madonna who's had her share of awkward lyricism. The title remains baffling. The music, however, is gorgeous and this is what prevails for me eventually. 8/10

Crave - Absolutely beautiful, some of my favorite vocals on the album, "my cravings get dangerous" is one of my favorite lines. Love the guitar-trap combination. 10/10

Crazy - Despite the contemporary lyrical style, for me this is throwback Madonna with the Borderline/True Blue cute feel. 9/10

Come Alive - Could have used some of the Mirwais touch but it's a nice album track. 7/10

Extreme Occident - Madonna finally unveils personally. The instrumentation is beautiful. A stunning song. 10/10

Faz Gostoso - The catchiest song on the album, lol. Silly but I can't get enough of it at the moment. 9/10

Bitch I'm Loca - The album's worst song, not one of her worst ever but really boring - I expected it to be stupid but it's also generic. At least it's short. 3/10

I Don't Search I Find - Groovy throwback, another of the album's highlights for me. So dreamy. Finally enough love! 10/10

Looking for Mercy - The closest to a classic Madonna ballad. Beautiful vocals and lyrics. 9/10

I Rise - Great closing song, a bit bland compared to the album's highlights but it's an anthem. 8/10

Funana - Cute in a hippie way, lol. Decent bonus track, might grow on me. 7/10

Back That Up to the Beat - Decent production but still out of place on the album. (I've never listened to the demo.) 5/10

Ciao Bella - Another great closing track, lol. Always love Madonna in house mode. 9/10

Should have been on the standard edition: Extreme Occident, Looking for Mercy, Ciao Bella

Should have been bonus tracks: Future, Batuka, Bitch I'm Loca

Overall, this sounds like a cliche at this point but it is easily Madonna's best album since Confessions. Just the right balance of catchy pop music with great interesting flourishes and experimental stuff that's some of the most daring in her career. I'm really happy with the album and of course I'm also excited to see how I feel about it in days, weeks, months...

I REALLY like this album. But it is not conventional, I think opinions will probably go all over the place, depending on people's tastes.

But the one track everybody will agree on, imo, is God Control. Amazing track. The lyrics are religious and VERY political, but the sound is gay as all out doors. It's like a dance smash with choirs. Absolutely amazing song. And, apparently, it's confirmed to get a video that was already filmed. 

This is the song that will bring all the fans together, I think. Great album. Really like Faz Gostoso as well. All the songs are great in their own way. Madonna went quite a few places with this one.