Fighter

The 'Madame X' Series Part V: The Concluding Chapter

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Eyzonme said:

Sigh I feel like I have over played the album to the point that I am listening now to other music. I haven't even listened to anything in over 3 days. 

Never burnt through that "fresh M album feeling" like this previously. 

Anyone else feeling this way? This is not a troll post just expressing my opinion. It's confusing and annoying. 

I perfectly understand what you mean. To me, the journey felt long and boring too soon... :Madonna021: With or without HQ version... still sounds so average. It didn't grow on me even if its in good quality. With the exception of Looking for Mercy mainly. :)

Madame X, vocally, became completely unbearable!! And I'm sick of getting duets with Madonna AND xxx, I want new music by her only. Give the duets a rest please?! 

Anyway, it's great that for many other fans the album has some coherence and every song fits in for them. Not for me. :yarn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eyzonme said:

Sigh I feel like I have over played the album to the point that I am listening now to other music. I haven't even listened to anything in over 3 days. 

Never burnt through that "fresh M album feeling" like this previously. 

Anyone else feeling this way? This is not a troll post just expressing my opinion. It's confusing and annoying. 

It happens. I had that with Bedtime Stories when it came out, over played it to death to the point I got tired of it and had to give it a long rest before I could properly appreciate it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bonus songs were brilliant I thought. Ciao Bella and it’s guitar is a similar but different feel than the prior sounds. Bacon That Up added one more texture to the album. Funaná is just so fun. I love how the vocal work makes her sound like a accordion at times, which is what funana music is all about.

 

*I meant Back That Up but I’m gonna leave the typo😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sigh I feel like I have over played the album to the point that I am listening now to other music. I haven't even listened to anything in over 3 days. 
Never burnt through that "fresh M album feeling" like this previously. 
Anyone else feeling this way? This is not a troll post just expressing my opinion. It's confusing and annoying. 


Hasn’t yet happened to me with Madame X but it’s bound to sooner or later. I used to listen to albums on repeat for weeks on end: I played HBHBHB by Florence for like six months and virtually nothing else in the meantime.

The last couple of years, not so much, even albums I loved, but I barely even listen to full albums anymore. I make sure to play other music along with Madame X to avoid fatigue setting in too soon. I do this with any new album I listen to nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andymad said:

I’m confused as to why we’re ranking her past albums in a Madam X Finale thread....

Just to see where it sits with people after the first weeks hype I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/list/8516848/best-music-videos-of-2019-so-far

Billboard ranks 'Dark Ballet' as one of the best videos of the year:

It's not hard to see why Madonna has long been obsessed with Joan of Arc, a fiercely independent warrior persecuted for heresy and cross-dressing, and eventually burned at the stake by the patriarchal Catholic Church in 1431 (and later canonized by the church). Madonna cast queer, black  HIV+ rapper Mykki Blanco as Joan in her "Dark Ballet" video because, as Blanco tells Billboard, she told him, "'If you had existed as you in her time — you would have been burned at the stake as well.’” The dark, sumptuous cinematography emphasizes the sinister, shadowy quality to Catholic imagery, and the scenes of Mykki/Joan burning don't shy away from the visceral pain of death by fire. Much like the song, the video itself goes totally bonkers at the halfway point, with rapid-cut editing as Blanco ballet dances to a synth-heavy interpolation of Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Reed Flutes" from The Nutcracker Suite. - JOE LYNCH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I cannot imagine Madame X without the three bonus songs.

I am sure she specifically made it exclusive to physicals because she found them strong enough to serve as the super deluxe’s selling point.

Ciao Bella is glorious. Back That Up to the Beat is a triumph from the overused, formulaic 4-beat intro of Pharrell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, professormouse said:

I've yet to find out 'how' you go about this in the first place ?
Most hits ??
Isn't every album her best....at the time ?
Otherwise it'd be on a shelf Somewhere ??

For me it’s the album you listen to most, the ones that give you good feelings of nostalgia from the time they came out. The ones that you think have the best and most moving songs and production songs 🤷🏻‍♂️ I e erotica and bedtime stories take me right back the excitement of being in my late teens and her being everywhere. Ray of light for beautiful, atmospheric music and on the other end music for being boring or like a virgin for being before my Madonna time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jet said:

For me it’s the album you listen to most, the ones that give you good feelings of nostalgia from the time they came out. The ones that you think have the best and most moving songs and production songs 🤷🏻‍♂️ I e erotica and bedtime stories take me right back the excitement of being in my late teens and her being everywhere. Ray of light for beautiful, atmospheric music and on the other end music for being boring or like a virgin for being before my Madonna time.

Madonna's always been a singles artist.
OK, A 12'' Singles artist.
Why do you think Music is 'boring' ?
No wonder Madge is off wandering around Portugal if Impressive Instant was the hit it should have been.
"Singy-Wingy" is genius !
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, professormouse said:

Madonna's always been a singles artist.
OK, A 12'' Singles artist.
Why do you think Music is 'boring' ?
No wonder Madge is off wandering around Portugal if Impressive Instant was the hit it should have been.
"Singy-Wingy" is genius !
 

It’s funny you say she’s a singles artist because for me it’s always been about albums and accompanying eras and the cultures and feelings each release introduces us to that we wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity to learn about. like a prayer and all the videos, interviews about religion etc changed/saved my life. Erotica spiced it up and opened up conversation, ray of light introduced me to eastern cultures and my own spiritual beliefs and so on. I find the album music boring because it didn’t really introduce me to anything interesting or new, it was just a collection of so so songs riding on the tails of the beauty of ray of light (although paradise is one of my all time favourites). Hard candy was a fantastic record in my opinion and came at a time where I could identify with almost every song, I was going through a similar experience and so that one will always be with me. American life too. Some eras are so interesting   and immersive and they have a knack of taking you away from everything for a while. I think Madame x will become one of those for me...it’s so diverse and political and just right for the world right now. For me, Madonna has always been more than the music, she’s given me a way of life, the ultimate teacher, dunno tho-maybe I’m weird! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, professormouse said:

Madonna's always been a singles artist.
OK, A 12'' Singles artist.
Why do you think Music is 'boring' ?
No wonder Madge is off wandering around Portugal if Impressive Instant was the hit it should have been.
"Singy-Wingy" is genius !
 

I've never seen Madonna as just singles artist - that implies to me that the artist's albums don't work as a whole and it's just the singles that are of quality. I don't think that's the case at all with Madonna, especially from Like A Prayer onwards - all of her albums post '89 work as complete bodies of work with amazing album cuts (well, apart from MDNA perhaps and Rebel Heart cause that one feels more like a Spotify playlist). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jet said:

It’s funny you say she’s a singles artist because for me it’s always been about albums and accompanying eras and the cultures and feelings each release introduces us to that we wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity to learn about. like a prayer and all the videos, interviews about religion etc changed/saved my life. Erotica spiced it up and opened up conversation, ray of light introduced me to eastern cultures and my own spiritual beliefs and so on. I find the album music boring because it didn’t really introduce me to anything interesting or new, it was just a collection of so so songs riding on the tails of the beauty of ray of light (although paradise is one of my all time favourites). Hard candy was a fantastic record in my opinion and came at a time where I could identify with almost every song, I was going through a similar experience and so that one will always be with me. American life too. Some eras are so interesting   and immersive and they have a knack of taking you away from everything for a while. I think Madame x will become one of those for me...it’s so diverse and political and just right for the world right now. For me, Madonna has always been more than the music, she’s given me a way of life, the ultimate teacher, dunno tho-maybe I’m weird! 😂

 

12 minutes ago, kesiak said:

I've never seen Madonna as just singles artist - that implies to me that the artist's albums don't work as a whole and it's just the singles that are of quality. I don't think that's the case at all with Madonna, especially from Like A Prayer onwards - all of her albums post '89 work as complete bodies of work with amazing album cuts (well, apart from MDNA perhaps and Rebel Heart cause that one feels more like a Spotify playlist). 

These rankings do say a lot.
ROL is 'a very cohesive' collection if I'd my critics hat on but so is her very first album too.
All them serious writers had to allow her one Album.
Especially since the public were going ape over it.
A lot who weren't fans b4 took notice.
They are all waiting for Pt 2 still ?

Who said 'just' ?
Holiday was built to work as a 12'' 'Anthem' as they call them these days.
'89 ?
Are you our first callers older brother ?
I've thought her albums worked as a whole package from the very first one.
Have you ever seen the Double 12'' 'albums' that some Prelude Records releases got ?
Usually for albums with only 4 tracks on them [!] but 'Madonna' should have been all 12'' too.
Like A Virgin was the likeable slut years but I wasn't that mad on that tune or Material Girl.
Loved every other track though.

FF to Madam X and it's a totally different landscape.
There's not exactly singles and more like a slow puncture.
I didn't get all these 11 outta 10's for it after one day.
It's Evita again.
I wonder what she will do next  ?


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She has always been an album and singles pop artist, part of what makes her exceptional along with some of her peers. 

The single is an accompaniment to the album experience for her fans and an intro to the album experience for non-fans, she was one of the first in the maxi-single era to really fully embrace this concept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, professormouse said:

 

These rankings do say a lot.
ROL is 'a very cohesive' collection if I'd my critics hat on but so is her very first album too.
All them serious writers had to allow her one Album.
Especially since the public were going ape over it.
A lot who weren't fans b4 took notice.
They are all waiting for Pt 2 still ?

Who said 'just' ?
Holiday was built to work as a 12'' 'Anthem' as they call them these days.
'89 ?
Are you our first callers older brother ?
I've thought her albums worked as a whole package from the very first one.
Have you ever seen the Double 12'' 'albums' that some Prelude Records releases got ?
Usually for albums with only 4 tracks on them [!] but 'Madonna' should have been all 12'' too.
Like A Virgin was the likeable slut years but I wasn't that mad on that tune or Material Girl.
Loved every other track though.

FF to Madam X and it's a totally different landscape.
There's not exactly singles and more like a slow puncture.
I didn't get all these 11 outta 10's for it after one day.
It's Evita again.
I wonder what she will do next  ?


 

Cool, I misunderstood! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.