Sign in to follow this  
MonsieurX

Killers Who Are Partying

Can someone provide some historical/political insight as to what Madonna is saying lyrically regarding these oppressed groups? What is the central message here?

I feel a bit naive but this song has been giving me chills. Anyone else?

I think she reconciling the world she loves with the world she actually walks in. She’s not saying she alctuakly part or is any of the groups she sings of. She knows who she is but she also knows what the world is. If any of these group need a voice, then she accepts that she could be that voice should the time arise. With Israel and Palestine, she wants to be united. She’s not looking at one side over the other. Just as she would want the “Rebel” and “Heart” to be married.

Still not a big fan of the lyrical concept but when she sings “I know what I’m not” it almost makes me feel like she regrets not being able to take on the pain of minorities. It’s a heavy-handed and misguided message but it feels sincere. And the music is some of the best on the album.

It's a stand out track for me. The lyrics on paper sound horrible but somehow the fragile way she sings them makes it sound more like a chant, reflection than a rich white woman's saviour complex calling out to the world. The production on it is absolutely breathtaking. 

I think it's a religious song. To me it sounds like a fado prayer to God, where she commits herself to face world's problems as if she was some form of spiritual guidance on Earth.

At various points she seems to hint that we are who we are, and we'll respond to God about it in the end.

Wild is the world/I know what I am/ Lonely is the path/ That leads to you

3 hours ago, Ambrose said:

Still not a big fan of the lyrical concept but when she sings “I know what I’m not” it almost makes me feel like she regrets not being able to take on the pain of minorities. It’s a heavy-handed and misguided message but it feels sincere. And the music is some of the best on the album.

Couldn’t have put it better, her hearts in the right place if nothing else 

I think Killers is a a brilliant track, really.

Brilliant message but I love the production, the rythmic is incredible, it evolves throughout the track, very Mirwais... the chorus is so Cesaria Evora, very sbtle song in its production and yet catchy to me

To me, M is basically saying that we should all stand for each others because when one suffers, we should all feel concerned; fighting against oppression of one group is like fighting against oppression for everyone, for humanity.

I love that song :luv:

Personally, I think the song addresses the dissonance that exists between the majority and marginalised groups that she references. As you don’t identify directly with a group (gay, African, poor, Islam, rape victims) there is a comfortable distance that allows you to turn a blind eye. I think that fits with the I know what I am and I know what I'm not.... do you, etc.

I’ve got to be honest I don’t think it’s cultural appropriation.  I was relieved. Some of the lyrics are rather jarring - and the Native Indian doesn’t do her any favours. But beyond that it’s quite a beautiful composition.