Madonna | God Control | June 26

I thought the choir sang 'We lost God control'. But now, while listening to it through my earphones and reading the kids' lips at the same time I seem to understand 'We've lost gun control'. What do you think?

By the way, this is what I was expecting, something really shocking. I personally don't mind if the song has cuts to make the story more dramatic.

Just to back up why I find the cutting distracting, in the choir and church scene, in 30 seconds there are 14 cuts, it's almost one cut every 2 seconds. It's a lot for a part of the song that's slow. But I'm going to stop complaining now, as I've watched the video 4 times and it is fantastic overall. She just needs a better video editor, I know loads of them!

It's sooo good. But it really stresses me out how she is getting ready to go out, while time is going backwards at the end of the video. Everywhere else the sequencing largely makes sense apart from there. 

13 minutes ago, Nicmag said:

I thought the choir sang 'We lost God control'. But now, while listening to it through my earphones and reading the kids' lips at the same time I seem to understand 'We've lost gun control'. What do you think?

By the way, this is what I was expecting, something really shocking. I personally don't mind if the song has cuts to make the story more dramatic.

In the video she writes “ We lost God control” 🤔

What a video! Madame X delivered big time and this after the brilliant Dark Ballet video too! I love how the song is deconstructed to make it work as a short film because a lot of things happen. Amazing video for an amazing song, what more could I ask for?

A very difficult video to watch. The message is such a massively important one to show, especially to US audiences, but in the way it's presented here, it made me feel rather uncomfortable... and not in the way I'm sure she intended. I found it to be strangely edited (I hate those Åkerlund quick cuts), the message is so cut up and pasted about that its easy to lose track of the message. Though I found it to be ambitious, I also found it to be rather pretentious, and in rather bad-taste in parts. I don't think its a bad video, in fact, I think its one of the better ones from this era so far. I just feel that it probably could have been produced a lot better, and more cohesively. Maybe had she used someone other than Jonas Åkerlund... who knows. Also, was this the video that Monet X-change cancelled her gigs for? I don't recall seeing her in the nightclub scenes.

I'd give this one a 5/10... which may change after I watch it a few more times

22 minutes ago, Angelo said:

People please...if you find the editing so messy because you can’t sing the song 

close YouTube and play/stream the album 😉

and Madonna...welcome back baby

I love you ❤️

Well... It's a music video, right? So music should be an essential part.

But music aside, I find the whole sequence of events too all over the place. There's a thing called "too much is too bad".

I do find her styling perfection!

26 minutes ago, Nicmag said:

Yes the choir are singing 'gun control'. A clever play on a word

Bonkers. Amazing. Poignant. The aesthetics are very Gaspar Noé-ish (storyline told backwards, colours, etc). The only flaw IMO is that the music halts too much -the flashbacks- and it gets irritating after a while. The typewriter is cool but there's too much of it. Those coffins in line are a really disturbing image. Yeah, her acting is a bit wooden but as a pointed in another post, fillers and botox are to blame. Sometimes I view her as a woman wearing a Madonna mask. You know masks, they're expressionless and that's why they're frightening.

Overall is a great, great video. Best videos since the  American life era

46 minutes ago, Dashfox said:

But sometimes I think everything happened in this video was only a book the brunette Madonna is writing! 

The story is so cruel and real that made her cry!

I see it as brunette madonna is a writer listening to the reports of the shooting on the radio and feeling compelled to write about it and the urgency for gun control. It’s a masterpiece.

3 minutes ago, o_g_c_x said:

It's a masterpiece and it's not for everyone.

It's a masterpiece, alright. 

An extremely badly edited one. But still a masterpiece! 

20 minutes ago, Maddylvr said:

This might sound really bad, but her acting was so bad when she was getting mugged. I'm definitely not a hater. I love the song and the album, but i just don't like the style of all the videos released so far.

I was thinking that too ? It’s not a great video imo and the song plays second fiddle to the visuals and won’t be a big seller either so promotion wise it’s not a plus for the album - it kind of reminded me of the Music video but 20 years later but i love the message of it though 😍