Sign in to follow this  
GhostOrchid

Madonna | Funana

“Funana,” a song that wants us to dance in the face of despair, glancing back affectionately as it name-checks some of the gifted musicians who are no longer with us. It's spine-tingling to hear Madonna sing, “We need Whitney.” It's the same feeling as watching the viral footage of Houston jamming to Madonna's Super Bowl performance days before her death, a marriage of two of music's greatest legacies, which in the deep past had been at odds. While Michael Jackson is to “Funana” as Joan Crawford is to “Vogue,” Madonna does also sing of Freddie Mercury, George Michael, Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, James Brown, Elvis Presley David Bowie, Mac Miller, Avicii, Tupac Shakur and “Prince Rogers Nelson,” musicians who have influenced her at vastly different levels, some of whom were her direct peers, and two of whom were her lovers.

https://www.boyculture.com/boy_culture/2019/06/madonna-madame-x-review.html

Nah there is a lot of dead musicians that she did not include in the song...and as someone who used to be a huge MJ fan, and who were a fan of MJ even before I started listening to Madonna I really do not see a problem in her not including him in the song.

umm.. it wouldn't be a problem if she didn't talk about him all the time prior to leaving neverland, and used to post their photos together on instagram, and had these massive tributes on her concerts, mtv etc. but having done all that in the past now it just seems weird. George Michael was mentioned. I love him but what was he ever to Madonna? And come on, not including MJ on this list of great dead musicians is like talking about Destiny's child and somehow forgetting Beyonce, for the lack of a better comparison. Rather just don't make the list if you know it will just be obviously incomplete, thats my point. Sing about anything else.

One could say "of course a problem for those who want it to be a problem"... again as someone who followed MJ for about 40 years, went to his concerts and even collected signatures from people to send to him to show support when the child-abuse case(s) first broke in the 90s... I do not see it as a problem....

27 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

MJ isn't the center of the world and i'm she didn't mention him for once cause he was rude to her.

You mean in that phone conversation that leaked a long time ago? where he said she is angry because she is not a man. Or am i missing something?

1 hour ago, GhostOrchid said:

Rather just don't make the list if you know it will just be obviously incomplete, thats my point. Sing about anything else.

You're telling Madonna what to sing about? Did you tell MJ not to fuck countless children? How did he take it?

5 minutes ago, The Same Parts said:

You're telling Madonna what to sing about? Did you tell MJ not to fuck countless children? How did he take it?

Again it's not up to me or you to decide whether something is truth or a lie. i will not get into that, which is why i deleted my original post where i gave my opinion. Only time will tell. However, I suggest you do some more research about the latest findings and evidence surfaced.

36 minutes ago, GhostOrchid said:

You mean in that phone conversation that leaked a long time ago? where he said she is angry because she is not a man. Or am i missing something?

Calling her witch, being mad at Billboard for making her the artist of the 80s decade, saying she don't like her personality yet going out with her to make headlines, cause both were the hottest names back then etc.

28 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

Calling her witch, being mad at Billboard for making her the artist of the 80s decade, saying she don't like her personality yet going out with her to make headlines, cause both were the hottest names back then etc.

Do your research! The latest evidence from MJ fan sites proves all that is fake news! In fact, MJ once tried to give Madonna an ice cream cone as a gesture of friendship and she threw it in his face!

24 minutes ago, The Same Parts said:

Do your research! The latest evidence from MJ fan sites proves all that is fake news! In fact, MJ once tried to give Madonna an ice cream cone as a gesture of friendship and she threw it in his face!

I've hear his voice at the audio calling her witch, please, the ice cream story is the first time i hear it and looks fake to death.

Despite M not having watched the documentary she said “I don’t have a lynch-mob mentality, so in my mind, people are innocent until proven guilty,” she contined “I’ve had a thousand accusations hurled at me that are not true. So my attitude when people tell me things about people is, ‘Can you prove it?”’

Michael was off the rails and delirious from all the drugs to tame pain he had since the Pepsi ad accident. IMO M did not mention him probably due to Michael ended up being off the rails and delirious from all the drugs to tame pain he needed just to do day to day activities in recent years more than 'Neverland'.

35 minutes ago, THE ROSE MIST said:

I'm betting she did have his name in it but was encouraged to take it out to avoid negative publicity

I would've just scratched the song from the album. in a few years she will be ashamed of it. Unless she really just found out that MJ called her a witch (although that was out years ago) and was pissed off and decided to make an entire song just so she could ignore him and this has nothing to do with Leaving Neverland. But truth be told it is the weakest track on the album, i'm really glad its not on the 15-track version

26 minutes ago, GhostOrchid said:

I would've just scratched the song from the album. in a few years she will be ashamed of it. Unless she really just found out that MJ called her a witch (although that was out years ago) and was pissed off and decided to make an entire song just so she could ignore him and this has nothing to do with Leaving Neverland. But truth be told it is the weakest track on the album, i'm really glad its not on the 15-track version

When she tried to support him after the documentary, i made sure to remind her many times on IG everything rude that MJ did against her. Maybe she show that.

giphy.gif

I like that song very much...

She's been supportive of MJ as we know. Maybe she doesn't care at all of what MJ had to say about her.

Maybe she didn't want to just say his name as he was in the same league of her, a real stardom galaxy, superstars (but...so was Prince and he's in the song so... not sure lol).

I'm sure she could pay tribute to him singing an MJ song in the tour !

One of the times she mentions Prince Rogers Nelson was probably Michael Jackson at some point.

"And Michael Jackson"....sounds pretty close to "Prince Rogers Nelson".