Sign in to follow this  
GhostOrchid

Madonna | Funana

Glad she didn't. I don't know why she continues to be so supportive of him after he had shown her absolutely none of the same respect when he was alive, hopefully this is a step in the right direction

Missed John Lennon out too... she sang his song during reinvention.  I really like the song and she can ultimately name check who she likes. These people may have inspired the writing of this album? a lot of them died during its conception. 

On 6/17/2019 at 12:21 AM, GhostOrchid said:

umm.. it wouldn't be a problem if she didn't talk about him all the time prior to leaving neverland, and used to post their photos together on instagram, and had these massive tributes on her concerts, mtv etc. but having done all that in the past now it just seems weird. George Michael was mentioned. I love him but what was he ever to Madonna? And come on, not including MJ on this list of great dead musicians is like talking about Destiny's child and somehow forgetting Beyonce, for the lack of a better comparison. Rather just don't make the list if you know it will just be obviously incomplete, thats my point. Sing about anything else.

Maybe Madonna is sensitive after seeing the documentary - she's a mother of 6 - hits home for her.  Either way, doesnt matter - its a bonus track and those are the artists she was thinking of when writing this.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, Adam X said:

Glad she didn't. I don't know why she continues to be so supportive of him after he had shown her absolutely none of the same respect when he was alive, hopefully this is a step in the right direction

i couldnt have said it better myself.

For those who don't know what "Hà funana!" means on the song (and not Não funana) it's cape verdian expression who mean "have fun", "enjoy"...

It is also a genre of Cape Verdian music simply called "funana"... Like this song :

Never miss an opportunity to learn... :)

MJ, Kurt Cobain, Joplin... May be she don't need MJ... He was a motherfucker to her and fucking weirdo... and we don't care I love that song and the celebrities she'd named! Nà FUNANAAAA! lol

4 hours ago, cedric said:

MJ, Kurt Cobain, Joplin... May be she don't need MJ... He was a motherfucker to her and fucking weirdo... and we don't care I love that song and the celebrities she'd named! Nà FUNANAAAA! lol

She says she french kissed the guy on one carpool video.
And that she might have done the song 'In The Closet' if they'd went with her idea for the video.
She'd be in a suit and he'd be in the wedding dress.
They'd be getting married in it....sound familiar ?

23 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

It’s a fun song and I love the name dropping especially Prince whom I adored but I wonder why she didn’t mention MJ ? 🤔

I wondered that too...but she reminded Withney...

On 6/17/2019 at 11:04 AM, THE ROSE MIST said:

I'm betting she did have his name in it but was encouraged to take it out to avoid negative publicity

I can agree with you...But she also mentioned him in a interview saying she doesnt believe in lynch mob mentality...

On 6/18/2019 at 1:58 AM, Sultrysully said:

Madonna did not accidentally omit Jackson.  The song ends abruptly.  Maybe, Michael was mentioned.  It is becoming more and more evident that all of the kids and their families are not liars.  

conspiracy theory...

17 hours ago, L-U-V said:

I thought she said "now Funana". How is "hà" pronounced?

I think "hà funana" is pronounced "now funana"... that's what i hear...

4 hours ago, cedric said:

I think "hà funana" is pronounced "now funana"... that's what i hear...

You think or you know?

16 hours ago, L-U-V said:

You think or you know?

I'm not Cape Verdean guy but, like you, I hear "NOW" funana, so I THINK (I DO THINK BUT I'M NOT SURE!!!) that's the pronunciation of "HÀ" Funana. BTW, Sorry about THINKING instead of KNOWING!

6 hours ago, cedric said:

I'm not Cape Verdean guy but, like you, I hear "NOW" funana, so I THINK (I DO THINK BUT I'M NOT SURE!!!) that's the pronunciation of "HÀ" Funana. BTW, Sorry about THINKING instead of KNOWING!

That's ok. Next time don't present it as a fact if you don't know :)

On 6/26/2019 at 1:39 AM, L-U-V said:

That's ok. Next time don't present it as a fact if you don't know :)

You're so funny! I've never presented "AS A FACT" about how you pronounce "hà funana"... And next time,, I will think if I do wanna think and you go... :)

Why am I only seeing this post now? lol

She says NOW Funaná, because in Criolo (language from Cabo Verde), they say "Agora Funaná!" which means "Now Funaná!". It's not "Hà" and it's most certainly not "Não" because "Não" means No ("No Funaná" wouldn't make sense and that's not even how it's pronounced).

Also, don't insult each other over song lyrics. Madonna taught us better