Madonna Songs on Stranger Things S03

me1981

I Just binged watched season three. I was surprised they had not one but two of Madonna's songs. Material Girl and Angel. I was hoping more for Into the Groove, but Angel was a pleasant surprise, since that song is basically forgotten by the GP.

What is interesting is that they got permission to use them. It is usually difficult to use Madonna's songs in film/tv, even ones she didn't write. 

So out of interest what are other tv/films where Madonna's songs have been used (commercials count)

This does not include tv/film where Madonna specifically wrote a song for it like Vision Quest or With Honors.

I'll start with Friends season one finale 'Take a Bow' this was a surprise, again did not think Madonna would okay the use of this song on a sitcom. 

The other one I will list is Devil Wears Prada. In my mind a missed opportunity for Jump, which could have potentially performed better in the States if it had been more tied to the movie and released around the same time and if she used scenes from the film instead of the Parkour or a mix of both. Also Vogue was used (was there another?) I keep thinking Material Girl, but maybe not. Must re-watch the film.

5 hours ago, Jet said:

A whole episode of glee!

I was surprised by this too, though I guess it was a tribute to her, so I assume she would have loved it, haha

Friends is one where it was a new show and a sitcom and Madonna seemed a lot pickier about where her songs would be used back then, you rarely heard her music in other media unless she herself was involved somehow.

Does anyone else think Jump might have benefited from a tie in to The Devil Wears Prada or no? If she had released it around Jun 06 and linked it to the film

• madgefan changed the title to Madonna Songs on Stranger Things S03