Madame X Tour | New York City

cherry

7 minutes ago, Bitch I’m Madonna said:

It's not only because of that.

Human Nature
Like a Prayer
Vogue
American Life
Papa Don't Preach (an 80 seconds version)
Frozen

These are the only pre-Madame X songs she's doing and she has done all of these in the past 11 years NUMEROUS times. Of course there will be a large part of the current album but to lure people into buying tickets for this tour with rehearsal clips of Easy Ride, X-Static Process & Rescue Me and to then go on and not actually perform them is the worst form of betrayal.

Like A Prayer and Vogue, her signature hits, she hasn't done them in 7 years on tour.Last time she did them I wasn't able to attend so I'm more than happy to see them performed now. Frozen was done last 10,11 years ago..not to mention american life. Why did you not attend Rebel Heart? it basically had a fan favorites hits setlist. And if you weren't happy with that either well sorry, she's not going to do the songs that YOU personally want.

We once went to shows without phones, and did just fine. We werent hungry for information all the time.

It's funny how when you take people's phones away, they start displaying behaviors of withdrawal...you know, like addicts. They get cranky and upset and want MORE.

Theyre just PHONES. Not organs. We've turned into addicts who cant be bothered to put them down for two hours and be a SPECTATOR. And aborb. And enjoy. And BE PRESENT, in the moment.

We dont need to be documenting everything. Im glad artists are doing this at show now. People cant be bothered to have manners, then you have to treat them like children: take their phones away.

11 minutes ago, digitalfreaknyc said:

It never is. 

However, this is pushed further into the "only new stuff" realm than she's ever done before.  And, considering this is her worst selling album ever, you can't be surprised at blow-back. 

The last time we had an album that performed awfully, we got the RIT.  I'd argue that was the best tour she's done in the last 20 years.   Take the best songs from your poorly performing album and mix it up with hits. 

I LOVE that she didnt do another semi greatest hits tour, as she said on opening night, shes not concerned with popularity and it shows how much she believes in the album.

MDNA:

Like a Virgin
Open Your Heart
Papa Don't Preach
Like a Prayer
Express Yourself
Vogue
Justify My Love
Human Nature
Nobody Knows Me
Hung Up
= 10 oldies

Girl Gone Wild
Gang Bang
Revolver
Celebration
I'm Addicted
I'm a Sinner
I Don't Give A
Turn Up the Radio
Masterpiece
Give Me All Your Luvin'
Love Spent
Best Friend
= 12 new songs

Sticky & Sweet:

Borderline (2008)
Holiday (2009)
Into the Groove
Dress You Up (2009)
La Isla Bonita
Like a Prayer
Vogue
Rain ...well :laughing:
Human Nature
Ray of Light
Frozen (2009)
Music
Die Another Day
Hung Up (2008)
= 14 oldies

Candy Shop
Beat Goes On
Heartbeat (2008)
She's Not Me
Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
Spanish Lesson
Miles Away
4 Minutes
Give It 2 Me
= 9 songs

I mean... she has always done approx. 50-50! People who are saying the opposite are fucking lying. :Madonna049:

1 minute ago, Bitch I’m Madonna said:

MDNA:

Like a Virgin
Open Your Heart
Papa Don't Preach
Like a Prayer
Express Yourself
Vogue
Justify My Love
Human Nature
Nobody Knows Me
Hung Up
= 10 oldies

Girl Gone Wild
Gang Bang
Revolver
Celebration
I'm Addicted
I'm a Sinner
I Don't Give A
Turn Up the Radio
Masterpiece
Give Me All Your Luvin'
Love Spent
Best Friend
= 12 new songs

Sticky & Sweet:

Borderline (2008)
Holiday (2009)
Into the Groove
Dress You Up (2009)
La Isla Bonita
Like a Prayer
Vogue
Rain ...well :laughing:
Human Nature
Ray of Light
Frozen (2009)
Music
Die Another Day
Hung Up (2008)
= 14 oldies

Candy Shop
Beat Goes On
Heartbeat (2008)
She's Not Me
Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
Spanish Lesson
Miles Away
4 Minutes
Give It 2 Me
= 9 songs

I mean... she has always done approx. 50-50! People who are saying the opposite are fucking lying. :Madonna049:

But this is a theatre tour ..she prob recorded the album with this in mind ...its not going to be like a arena tour 

4 minutes ago, IconicQueen said:

Like A Prayer and Vogue, her signature hits, she hasn't done them in 7 years on tour.Last time she did them I wasn't able to attend so I'm more than happy to see them performed now. Frozen was done last 10,11 years ago..not to mention american life. Why did you not attend Rebel Heart? it basically had a fan favorites hits setlist. And if you weren't happy with that either well sorry, she's not going to do the songs that YOU personally want.

Rebel Heart didn't have a fan favourites setlist. It basically had the 80s hits the GP demanded. If she were to do a fan favourites tour, she'd pull out songs from Like a Prayer to Confessions and ignore the rest. RHT was in a similar vein of RIT but not in a good way. It ignored the decade she had already been ignoring for a long time.

2 hours ago, Bitch I’m Madonna said:

I'm asking for a balance of old songs and new material along with some fan favourites

She's owes you (or me, or anyone else) absolutely NOTHING. Life is really quite simple; if you don't like something, don't engage with it. Unless you're a masochist. 

You're right that a forum is a place to share all opinions and you're welcome to yours but why continually disparage something you haven't seen (no, you can't base a critique of a live show on set-list alone). 

I suspect most fans aren't thrilled with the set-list but M is putting on a tour, still performing, still creating and doing it in a setting where we can get closer to her as a person that we've even been able to before. I'd hear her sing Candy Shop all night for that... try and find the joy, please. 

4 minutes ago, LookingforJersey said:

How are people smuggling their phones in? This is ridiculous -- we have such entitlement lately. I can't go to a goddamn OPERA without seeing someone's phone. This is truly disgusting.

doubt you get frisked ...they have two phones possibly and it may have been a secret camera 

Just now, mark perry said:

doubt you get frisked ...they have two phones possibly and it may have been a secret camera 

They took my damn fitbit. Opening night was one of the greatest nights at the theater I've had in over a decade. Respectful, no bright screens blocking my view. People talking and connecting. Ugh, a flicker. 

9 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Last night I was offered 2 floor tickets in row D center, right at the edge of the left corridor.

So I managed to get a very up close view of the show, that I’d like to share with you.

Please understand that some of these are my personal opinions and experience and please respect that. 

There were some truly amazing moments in the show but also some really bad ones. 

The audience interaction was much better than TOAC but still a bit forced and unnecessary. Could have been cut down quite a bit.

I wish she used a live band rather than pre recorded tracks. Also most of the projections were extremely lazy and tacky. I would have liked it better if she kept them to a minimum or actually come up with more original ideas (like the Frozen video).

The show started close to 11 and everyone was a bit tired and annoyed by that time. If it wasn’t for this extreme delay probably everyone, including me, would have enjoyed this experience so much more.

The no phone policy makes complete sense. The venue is very small and intimate and phones would be so much more distracting than at her previous tours.

The merch wasn’t that great in my opinion. The only thing I liked was this shiny bomber jacket with the logo and the Madame X manifesto embroidered on the back. Also it looks fashionable and expensive. I was very disappointed because the tour book was still not available.

First act was the weakest in my opinion. 

The opening is a bit too long and repetitive and unmemorable. 

Madonna finally comes out in a horrendous George Washington inspired costume.

She performs God Control similar as Pride, with visuals from the video projected behind her.

Next is Dark Ballet, similar to Eurovision with projections from the music video. 

At this point she strips part of the GW costume and wears a loose piece of white cloth strapped at the waist by a corset, military boots and the eyepatch.

At the end of DB she’s awkwardly captured by 2 policemen and thrown into jail, which is a circular opening in one of the set pieces.

She performs Human Nature while doing a  coreo that could be really cool but she seems to struggle with it. Also I felt the costume made no sense and was in the way.

Towards the end of the song this guy comes on stage with conga drums and Madonna joins him to play them together, which is a very cool moment.

Then she starts talking to the audience, plays the EY snippet acapella and the twins and Mercy join her on stage for a bit.

Then she goes behind a little screen and continues talking while we see she’s changing for the next number.

The Madame X manifesto is projected on the little screen and Vogue starts.

It’s the same version from Pride but I think it’s not as effective because Madonna is not hidden between the other dancers in the beginning. Also she doesn’t Vogue at all and barely dances. She mostly moves around the stage and that’s all.

The projections are of the Steven Klein trench coat images and typewriters.

Then she goes into I Don’t Search I Find. To me this was one of the highlights of the show. It has a French film noir tone with 2 spies capturing Madame X. As all these cool black and white projections are everywhere.

After this it’s all a bit messy. She sings a snippet of a reworked version of Papa Don’t Preach and talks about women’s rights and tries to sell the Polaroid selfie.

This poor guy offered something like $160 for it. You can tell he’s a hardcore fan cause he had this whole American life inspired outfit on and front row tickets. But she’s very rude to him and dismissed his offer. Eventually she sells the photo to a girl who offered $1000. The whole moment was kind of bad and off putting.

Then she goes into American Life. Great performance on her end and the rap part was very intense and well done. Similar to the album version. It was hard to pay attention though because during this song there was a lot of commotion around me. A lot of people got up and left the concert at this point lol.

I hated the staging. There was an American flag and 2 guys dancing in uniforms also a mattress on which military uniforms were being dropped from the ceiling. Maybe I missed something but it didn’t make a lot of sense. The projections were from the uncensored music video.

At the end of the song these guys in marine outfits carry a coffin covered with the American flag across the stage. And the 2 of them perform a dance similar to the Beast Within in the Girlie Show.

The projections are of old ships and maps, from the 1700s. 

Visually this was not great or original but the song was beautiful.

The interlude ends with the thunders from Batuka and the Batukadeiras invade the stage coming from behind the audience on the corridors. 

They go and sit in a circle on the stage, and there’s a carpet on the floor, just like in the second half of the music video. 

The projections are again from the music video.

Madonna comes out looking absolutely stunning. With the brown wig and the gorgeous purple sparkling dress. Also she wears these amazing silver high heel sandals. 

The performance is absolutely stunning. These women are such an inspiration and they radiate pure joy.

At the end, this Asian lady comes out with a cello and closes out the song as Madonna and the Batukadeiras hold hands in a circle.

A truly amazing moment.

Then she has the “soccer mom/moving to Lisbon” speech. It would have been great if we didn’t hear it 100 times by now haha.

Then she introduces this young talented musician and they perform a snippet of a fado song. I thought she sounded a bit off and her voice was a bit too aggressive for that specific.

Then the whole stage turns into a whimsical Lisbon street, similar to the billboard performance but more extravagant.

She performs Killers and Crazy. Both were good but she should have shortened it somehow. I can’t say why but by the time Crazy was over I was a bit bored.

Welcome To My Fado and the snippet of La Isla Bonita were very cute and after she went into this amazing rendition of Sodade. She should release this cover since it’s incredible.

Then a typewriter is brought on stage for no reason and she sits down and writes the video intro to Medellín, as the words are projected over the entire stage. Made absolutely no sense and was very boring.

Then the song starts and towards the end her and the dancers descend into the crowd. It’s a magical moment since I’m right by the corridor where they come. I dance a bit with one of the dancers and Madonna walks right by me. It was incredible to see her so close! She was very tiny, beautiful and happy.

Some people tried to touch her but I thought that would be very disrespectful. Since she didn’t engage I didn’t want to be intrusive.

Then she went on the other corridor and randomly started to chat with someone from the audience as she sat in his chair.

Next she did this incredible performance of Extreme Occident. No projections. Just her moving around on these set pieces and a guy playing the accordion. Very intimate and theatrical.

The next interlude was my favorite. There were 6-8 dancers all wearing white shirts and black pants dancing on rhythmic breathing sounds. At one point the spoken lyrics from Rescue Me are played over the breathing. It’s very eerie and conceptual. It would have been great if this went into an actual Rescue Me performance. But it awkwardly transitions into Frozen and it seems like a second interlude. But it’s not.

Madonna appears with the nude scarf from the album cover and a similar black dress. But she’s behind the projection screen and looks like she’s floating. 

The video of Lourdes is simply amazing and the way it’s superimposed with Madonna singing creates a truly artistic moment. Also it’s very moving. Probably my favorite part of the show.

After that the whole stage lights up and there’s all these colorful projections of Moroccan art and everyone is wearing North African inspired costumes. 

Come Alive starts and Madonna shows up wearing the same head scarf and a Versace robe. The whole thing seemed messy and I wasn’t into it.

Then a piano is brought on stage and she starts Future. Another terrible moment. This slower version makes no sense at all. Wish she either did the album version or an actual piano ballad. There were projections of the Amazon burning and a post apocalyptic world. Also there were 2 awkward dancers wearing these cheap looking gas masks with flowers (similar to Dark Ballet but much worse).

Next is the dance remix of Crave. This doesn’t really work at all but somehow she makes it work and fun.

She comes out wearing the same Versace robe but with a matching military hat. The ensemble looks great. The projections are a mix of the music video and NYC streets.

The dancers wear flashy 70s inspired outfits similar to the God Control video. And the twins come out on stage and dance with everyone. The whole moment is very cute and a great show closer.

The first encore is Like A Prayer. For me was extremely boring since it was the same performance she did since Super Bowl and she was wearing a boring black robe with crystals on it. The stairs were in an X position and the choir was on the steps in an X formation, while wearing black robes with red fabric draped as an X on the chest. Madonna was standing in the center on the X and the projections were of multiple red X letters. 

After this the curtain came down and lights turned on and some people started to leave. 

But then she came on again with the Pride version of I Rise. She wears a military jacket decorated with a lot of gold jewelry and the I Rise video is projected.

The performance was good but not great.

At the end the choir comes out and everyone leaves the stage through the corridors in the audience. Unfortunately Madonna and the dancers exited through the left corridor so I didn’t get to see her walk past me again.

im dying to see this opening costume ..lol ...seems people dont like it and its hideous

13 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Last night I was offered 2 floor tickets in row D center, right at the edge of the left corridor.

So I managed to get a very up close view of the show, that I’d like to share with you.

Please understand that some of these are my personal opinions and experience and please respect that. 

There were some truly amazing moments in the show but also some really bad ones. 

The audience interaction was much better than TOAC but still a bit forced and unnecessary. Could have been cut down quite a bit.

I wish she used a live band rather than pre recorded tracks. Also most of the projections were extremely lazy and tacky. I would have liked it better if she kept them to a minimum or actually come up with more original ideas (like the Frozen video).

The show started close to 11 and everyone was a bit tired and annoyed by that time. If it wasn’t for this extreme delay probably everyone, including me, would have enjoyed this experience so much more.

The no phone policy makes complete sense. The venue is very small and intimate and phones would be so much more distracting than at her previous tours.

The merch wasn’t that great in my opinion. The only thing I liked was this shiny bomber jacket with the logo and the Madame X manifesto embroidered on the back. Also it looks fashionable and expensive. I was very disappointed because the tour book was still not available.

She performs God Control similar as Pride, with visuals from the video projected behind her.

Next is Dark Ballet, similar to Eurovision with projections from the music video. 

At this point she strips part of the GW costume and wears a loose piece of white cloth strapped at the waist by a corset, military boots and the eyepatch.

At the end of DB she’s awkwardly captured by 2 policemen and thrown into jail, which is a circular opening in one of the set pieces.

She performs Human Nature while doing a  coreo that could be really cool but she seems to struggle with it. Also I felt the costume made no sense and was in the way.

Towards the end of the song this guy comes on stage with conga drums and Madonna joins him to play them together, which is a very cool moment.

Then she starts talking to the audience, plays the EY snippet acapella and the twins and Mercy join her on stage for a bit.

Then she goes behind a little screen and continues talking while we see she’s changing for the next number.

It’s the same version from Pride but I think it’s not as effective because Madonna is not hidden between the other dancers in the beginning. Also she doesn’t Vogue at all and barely dances. She mostly moves around the stage and that’s all.

Then she goes into I Don’t Search I Find. To me this was one of the highlights of the show. It has a French film noir tone with 2 spies capturing Madame X. As all these cool black and white projections are everywhere.

After this it’s all a bit messy. She sings a snippet of a reworked version of Papa Don’t Preach and talks about women’s rights and tries to sell the Polaroid selfie.

This poor guy offered something like $160 for it. You can tell he’s a hardcore fan cause he had this whole American life inspired outfit on and front row tickets. But she’s very rude to him and dismissed his offer. Eventually she sells the photo to a girl who offered $1000. The whole moment was kind of bad and off putting.

Then she goes into American Life. Great performance on her end and the rap part was very intense and well done. Similar to the album version. It was hard to pay attention though because during this song there was a lot of commotion around me. A lot of people got up and left the concert at this point lol.

I hated the staging. There was an American flag and 2 guys dancing in uniforms also a mattress on which military uniforms were being dropped from the ceiling. Maybe I missed something but it didn’t make a lot of sense. The projections were from the uncensored music video.

At the end of the song these guys in marine outfits carry a coffin covered with the American flag across the stage. And the 2 of them perform a dance similar to the Beast Within in the Girlie Show.

The interlude ends with the thunders from Batuka and the Batukadeiras invade the stage coming from behind the audience on the corridors. 

They go and sit in a circle on the stage, and there’s a carpet on the floor, just like in the second half of the music video. 

Madonna comes out looking absolutely stunning. With the brown wig and the gorgeous purple sparkling dress. Also she wears these amazing silver high heel sandals. 

The performance is absolutely stunning. These women are such an inspiration and they radiate pure joy.

At the end, this Asian lady comes out with a cello and closes out the song as Madonna and the Batukadeiras hold hands in a circle.

A truly amazing moment.

Then she has the “soccer mom/moving to Lisbon” speech. It would have been great if we didn’t hear it 100 times by now haha.

Then she introduces this young talented musician and they perform a snippet of a fado song. I thought she sounded a bit off and her voice was a bit too aggressive for that specific.

Then the whole stage turns into a whimsical Lisbon street, similar to the billboard performance but more extravagant.

She performs Killers and Crazy. Both were good but she should have shortened it somehow. I can’t say why but by the time Crazy was over I was a bit bored.

Welcome To My Fado and the snippet of La Isla Bonita were very cute and after she went into this amazing rendition of Sodade. She should release this cover since it’s incredible.

Then a typewriter is brought on stage for no reason and she sits down and writes the video intro to Medellín, as the words are projected over the entire stage. Made absolutely no sense and was very boring.

Then the song starts and towards the end her and the dancers descend into the crowd. It’s a magical moment since I’m right by the corridor where they come. I dance a bit with one of the dancers and Madonna walks right by me. It was incredible to see her so close! She was very tiny, beautiful and happy.

Some people tried to touch her but I thought that would be very disrespectful. Since she didn’t engage I didn’t want to be intrusive.

Then she went on the other corridor and randomly started to chat with someone from the audience as she sat in his chair.

Next she did this incredible performance of Extreme Occident. No projections. Just her moving around on these set pieces and a guy playing the accordion. Very intimate and theatrical.

The next interlude was my favorite. There were 6-8 dancers all wearing white shirts and black pants dancing on rhythmic breathing sounds. At one point the spoken lyrics from Rescue Me are played over the breathing. It’s very eerie and conceptual. It would have been great if this went into an actual Rescue Me performance. But it awkwardly transitions into Frozen and it seems like a second interlude. But it’s not.

Madonna appears with the nude scarf from the album cover and a similar black dress. But she’s behind the projection screen and looks like she’s floating. 

The video of Lourdes is simply amazing and the way it’s superimposed with Madonna singing creates a truly artistic moment. Also it’s very moving. Probably my favorite part of the show.

After that the whole stage lights up and there’s all these colorful projections of Moroccan art and everyone is wearing North African inspired costumes. 

Come Alive starts and Madonna shows up wearing the same head scarf and a Versace robe. The whole thing seemed messy and I wasn’t into it.

Then a piano is brought on stage and she starts Future. Another terrible moment. This slower version makes no sense at all. Wish she either did the album version or an actual piano ballad. There were projections of the Amazon burning and a post apocalyptic world. Also there were 2 awkward dancers wearing these cheap looking gas masks with flowers (similar to Dark Ballet but much worse).

Next is the dance remix of Crave. This doesn’t really work at all but somehow she makes it work and fun.

She comes out wearing the same Versace robe but with a matching military hat. The ensemble looks great. The projections are a mix of the music video and NYC streets.

The dancers wear flashy 70s inspired outfits similar to the God Control video. And the twins come out on stage and dance with everyone. The whole moment is very cute and a great show closer.

The first encore is Like A Prayer. For me was extremely boring since it was the same performance she did since Super Bowl and she was wearing a boring black robe with crystals on it. The stairs were in an X position and the choir was on the steps in an X formation, while wearing black robes with red fabric draped as an X on the chest. Madonna was standing in the center on the X and the projections were of multiple red X letters. 

After this the curtain came down and lights turned on and some people started to leave. 

But then she came on again with the Pride version of I Rise. She wears a military jacket decorated with a lot of gold jewelry and the I Rise video is projected.

At the end the choir comes out and everyone leaves the stage through the corridors in the audience. Unfortunately Madonna and the dancers exited through the left corridor so I didn’t get to see her walk past me again.

Thank you so much! Very detailed description! ??????♥️

18 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

A truly amazing moment.

I enjoyed your review. Thank you!!

21 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

A truly amazing moment.

Well, thank you, really thank you. This is the most interesting and accurate review I read till now. I finally feel as I got a real idea of how the show is structured. Just by hearing the lq audio file I had the same feeling about the first set and, even adoring the second block, I really felt the lack of at least one old classic in that part. Hypercurious and excited by your Extreme Occident description and comforted to know that the Crave mix is working at least on the stage, 'cause I found the audio very disappointing and preoccupying, especially loving the original track as I do (she should really put some old gem in that place and play Crave beautifully as it is imo).

5 minutes ago, stefo said:

Well, thank you, really thank you. This is the most interesting and accurate review I read till now. I finally feel as I got a real idea of how the show is structured. Just by hearing the lq audio file I had the same feeling about the first set and, even adoring the second block, I really felt the lack of at least one old classic in that part. Hypercurious and excited by your Extreme Occident description and comforted to know that the Crave mix is working at least on the stage, 'cause I found the audio very disappointing and preoccupying, especially loving the original track as I do (she should really put some old gem in that place and play Crave beautifully as it is imo).

the dancing may make the crave performance but yeah she could have just sat on a chair and sang it but then people would complain lol ...i feel the last fan review was over reacting a bit 

18 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Overreacting regarding what?

the negatives etc etc ...loads of them in your review ...ill take your review with a pinch of salt and listen to the critics instead ...you do realise she is 61 she is hardly going to be breakdancing is she ...lol its just littered with BAD this and Bad that and awkward this terrible that  and is really extremely negative - wonder if she wasnt late on stage you would have been a bit more kind and i take it you was not a fan of madame x ? 

cant believe people left ...i mean urgggg thats shitty ..

A lot of people got up and left the concert at this point lol.?????

really ? 

Edited by mark perry (see edit history)

• Fighter locked this topic
  • Fighter unlocked this topic
  • madgefan locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic