Madame X Tour | New York City

cherry

It's a lot more dance and choreography heavy than many actual theater shows, and a lot of the time, the set pieces are moving while she and the dancers are too.  It's all very precise.  I would probably say her steps are more choreographed than any tour since Confessions, in general.

I can see why Maluma didn't join her even if he had been willing.  It runs like a well-oiled machine with no room for someone random to really be thrown into the show.

Oh, and there are a lot of stairs.  She goes up and down the stairs SO many times.  I got tired just watching her. :lol:  It made me a bit nervous since there are no rails at all and they're quite steep, but everything's gone smoothly so far.  The stair steps move around and re-arrange in different patterns.  It was stunning during Like a Prayer when the dancers on different steps formed a giant X, with Madonna in the center.

1 hour ago, stfan97 said:

I can see why Maluma didn't join her even if he had been willing.  It runs like a well-oiled machine with no room for someone random to really be thrown into the show.

According to what you're writing, it seems there's not much space for any adjustment or extension of the setlist, what do you think? Should we stop hoping for any future change?

47 minutes ago, stefo said:

According to what you're writing, it seems there's not much space for any adjustment or extension of the setlist, what do you think? Should we stop hoping for any future change?

I mean, nothing is impossible.  Is it probable?  I'd say probably not, at least in the US.  The show seems pretty set, and everything works well when seen live.  The political agenda she's pushing is very clear and the songs and set pieces reflect that.  There's not really much room to change those around if she still wants to get those specific messages across, plus the fact that her knee seems to have been in great pain since before the tour started and she barely has any days off through the rest of the US leg, doesn't make it likely that something new is going to be added in.

For Europe, who knows... but this show is about artists disturbing the peace and her Madame X album inspirations of fado, batuka, etc.  It's literally hammered home at the open and close via typewriter.

But I'll always be interested to hear what other cities end up having in their shows if people go.  Also I'm interested in the funny moments.  Those change from show to show depending on what pops up, so it's always interesting to me to hear.

8 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

The problem with your point of view, as I see it, is that you think everyone has the same options and life that you have, and that's just absurd. 

I am sorry if I made you believe I have better options than you or whoever is reading these posts but it can't be farther from the truth. God knows I've never been rich and I've tried to do wonders by selling items in my collection and take secondary jobs in order to finance the Madame X experience. And done so only because I'm 100% sure I'll regret it if I ever miss this tour just because I didn't allow myself to plan everything carefully in advance.

Your husband's got a serious health issue... if there's one thing I would never play with it's my health. No matter how much I worship Madonna or whoever is promising me the best show on Earth, there's not way I'd put myself at risk just for the sake of it. I did sleep on the street the day she gave her first concert in my country. One of the worst decisions I've ever made in my life cause the next day I was feeling like total shit and if it wasn't for the help I was able to get from the first aid staff I would have never enjoyed the whole show. Was it Madonna's lack of consideration towards their fans? Of course not! Did she point a gun on my face to run and get a ticket in the middle of an ocean of people? :redface: Did she have to apologize for making me wait for her in the queue after a loooong and terrible hot summer day?

If you don't feel ok about waiting for Madonna inside a theatre without being pushed or hungry or dehydrated then why don't you just reconsider the chance of attending? Learn to accept she hardly does as we wish. It's ok if you don't want to continue supporting someone who apparently doesn't care about you.

No second thoughts on this. You must be thinking I'm an apathetic bitch by now.

:Madonna031:

19 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

Ah, well I suppose I have to eat my words on that part of my post.... Hmm, wonder why it was just this time.

I'm not at all bothered she isn't signing anything on her way in or out.  She's never been that sort of artists who go out of her way to sign autographs anyway, but she's obviously exhausted by the end of the night, so I'm sure she's ready to go home. 

1 hour ago, Bat-Fan said:

The show is delayed because of these "Highly Specialized Technologies"?? I know they projections and dont look like this in in the show but still, no way is it highly specialized.

I mean... keep going on about things you have no actual idea about, but like I said, the actual set pieces like the stairs move around a LOT in various ways and not manually.  I don't know if it's the actual reason for the delay, but the set isn't as simplistic as people keep trying to make it out to be.

17 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

I mean... keep going on about things you have no actual idea about, but like I said, the actual set pieces like the stairs move around a LOT in various ways and not manually.  I don't know if it's the actual reason for the delay, but the set isn't as simplistic as people keep trying to make it out to be.

One thought, and I am being serious, is it possible that the delay is really due to changes in technology, I mean she did say in the first concert that it wasnt finished? Just a thought

1 hour ago, Bat-Fan said:

One thought, and I am being serious, is it possible that the delay is really due to changes in technology, I mean she did say in the first concert that it wasnt finished? Just a thought

I don't know.  I took that to mean maybe she hadn't polished up all of her speeches etc, entirely.  It looked finished to me.  I'll be shocked though if anything changes in the 4 days between NYC and Chicago.  It's probably more moving the set and everyone and getting used to the space.  They've been rehearsing in BAM, but every theater is different and like I said there is a LOT Of precision moving with the set pieces and all the dancers and M.  Someone could literally get crushed at parts if they step in the wrong direction or place.

28 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

I don't know.  I took that to mean maybe she hadn't polished up all of her speeches etc, entirely.  It looked finished to me.  I'll be shocked though if anything changes in the 4 days between NYC and Chicago.  It's probably more moving the set and everyone and getting used to the space.  They've been rehearsing in BAM, but every theater is different and like I said there is a LOT Of precision moving with the set pieces and all the dancers and M.  Someone could literally get crushed at parts if they step in the wrong direction or place.

And at the end of day, what is done is done.  Madonna is hardly an act that is known for canceling her shows, especially if you compare her to other artists.  It's unfortunate for those who travel and have additional expenses.  Though, everyone knows that buying tickets so far in advance, issues can arise either by the artist or the ticket holder.  I hardly believe she sat down purposely and thought; "let's see how many fans I can piss off, by cancelling/rescheduling some dates".  I'm betting it was out of her hands as well.  I'm sure she's not very happy about it either. It's easy for fans to conclude that her team should have better planned, but we really don't know the issue here, and sometimes things don't pan out even when carefully  "planned". I agree that probably it's all a timing issue of when the set is able to be set up  Just because she might have 4 days between the next city, doesn't mean she has the theater secured those days beforehand.  The theater has other acts scheduled.  And it's not like she's cancelling these shows all together. She's also offering refunds to those who can't make the new date added.  Both of these cancellations came several weeks in advance, so it's not like travel and lodging plans can't  be changed.  I realize some still will lose out, but I don't believe for one second Madonna set out to disappoint. 

Edited by Mark Collins (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

And at the end of day, what is done is done.  Madonna is hardly an act that is known for canceling her shows, especially if you compare her to other artists.  It's unfortunate for those who travel and have additional expenses.  Though, everyone knows that buying tickets so far in advance, issues can arise either by the artist or the ticket holder.  I hardly believe she sat down purposely and thought; "let's see how many fans I can piss off, by cancelling/rescheduling some dates".  I'm betting it was out of her hands as well.  I'm sure she's not very happy about it either. It's easy for fans to conclude that her team should have better planned, but we really don't know the issue here, and sometimes things don't pan out even when carefully  "planned". I agree that probably it's all a timing issue of when the set is able to be set up  Just because she might have 4 days between the next city, doesn't mean she has the theater secured those days beforehand.  The theater has other acts scheduled.  And it's not like she's cancelling these shows all together. She's also offering refunds to those who can't make the new date added.  Both of these cancellations came several weeks in advance, so it's not like travel and lodging plans can't  be changed.  I realize some still will lose out, but I don't believe for one second Madonna set out to disappoint. 

No of course she didn't. I don't think anyone thinks so. It is more a failure in pre-planning or something we don't know but it is what it is. On we go.

1 minute ago, Bat-Fan said:

No of course she didn't. I don't think anyone thinks so. It is more a failure in pre-planning or something we don't know but it is what it is. On we go.

Actually, there are some "fans" who are melting down over it and viciously blame her.  And many of these people would be fuming even if it was something health related. Again, I believe it's out of her hands, and probably something they didn't count on when planning.  It's not the end of the world.  Most people who are flipping out over it, are going to other shows, so I don't really sympathize with them.

18 hours ago, stfan97 said:

I have to disagree with this entirely, aside from raising the wrong expectations on Instagram.  The show is stunning live, and you really need a couple viewings from different angles to really digest it all.  When you're up close, Madonna is so mesmerizing and has such a commanding presence that I barely looked anywhere else.  The choreography isn't as aerobics heavy as past tours, but it's absolutely more physically demanding than RHT.  She's in much better shape than she was on the RHT.  Her legs are still to die for.  She still has a natural grace and charisma in her movements that are unmatched, and she's almost always moving.

It's all really hard to describe.  The best way would probably be instead of the concert video backdrops we are used to, the entire set is a projection for the images, that spread beyond the center stage to the rest of the theater space, and she's part of the entire projection and set like you would expect in a theater show.  Although the set looks simple, if you look closely, there are actually a lot of complex moving pieces and set designs that are very well done.  The setlist might not make much sense on paper or even audio, but it flows seamlessly live when everything is working.  The audience reaction makes up a large part of that success or not though, which is where the lateness becomes the defining factor to a good or bad show and also whether she's in a playful or bad mood.

Her outfits are more costume-like to fit the theatrical acts she's trying to convey rather than looking glamorous or sexy for the sake of being a pop star like in past concerts, but that doesn't mean they're lower quality.  The tour book lists most of the same and other high end designers as her past tours.  It's just different.

A lot of the setlist and audio won't make much sense or necessarily seem very impressive without the visuals.  This is a very visual show.  It's all meant to convey her political agenda rather than being pure entertainment.  The show is a work of art.

I can see how this would be incredibly difficult to film, but I hope they manage to do so at some point.  This deserves to be seen and more than once.  There are so many layers that you miss if you're focusing on one thing or another.  I admit my attention wandered briefly during some of the less exciting songs the first night, but mostly because I was really tired.  There is a point to every song though, it's not just a random playlist thrown together like it sounds. 

I'll be the first to admit I had quite low expectations going in, but it was amazing.  At the end of the day, there is no one like Madonna.

Kevin at the beer moment last night told her "the world would be a better place if it was like a Madonna concert".  M said "but this isn't really a Madonna concert.  It's Madame X theater.  Don't confuse the two." :)

I love love love this. Thanks for posting more! 

18 hours ago, stfan97 said:

A lot of the setlist and audio won't make much sense or necessarily seem very impressive without the visuals.  This is a very visual show.  It's all meant to convey her political agenda rather than being pure entertainment.  The show is a work of art.

First, I love all your posts. Well thought out and you do not assume or jump to conclusions with whatever your share.  Regarding the quote above, I have to agree with you regarding this is a very "visual show".  I have yet to SEE it live, but I've heard the audio from the 24th and while it's an interesting listening, I really need to see the visuals to truly enjoy this. 

Madame X is truly a visual theater experience!!  I have a feeling they are working out how to film this as we speak. 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:53 AM, Bat-Fan said:

But for her to reschedule 2 shows cancel one, and then give a dozen shows of the incomplete show is just rude to all the other fans both to the fans who went and then to the ones who didn’t get to go as planned. I get that the schedule is too tight to do anything but then what would’ve been their point to move things in the first place.

If the delays were really about settings and stuff the audience would for sure see the team moving things around and putting set elements to work. Broadway shows work on a tight schedule, they have one-night-only performances both on New York City and on international tours, but I have NEVER heard of a show that started two hours late.

How can you guys possibly think Madame X's staging is any different or more special or demanding than all the shows and tours going on combined? How can you suppose Madonna, after almost 40 years in the business, is working with such a shitty team that they can't make a staging work at least ONCE without delays?

This goes beyond stanning, this is selective blindness and simply ridiculous.

• Fighter locked this topic
  • Fighter unlocked this topic
  • madgefan locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic