Madame X Tour | New York City

cherry

Because they're of an entirely unrelated genre. If you didn't get the artist, it'd just confuse you further.

The only Madonna 'contemporary' I like is Kylie. But of course that artist that saved my life isn't Kylie. I love Kylie, seen her 10 times (mostly front row), but I wouldn't compare her to Madonna except from the often have fans that adore them both.

I don't compare artist to artist. Pit female against female.

Nothing to be gained from that rubbish. If I discuss Madonna, I discuss Madonna... she doesn't compare to anybody else, she and no other artist needs to.

Just now, scion said:

Because they're of an entirely unrelated genre. If you didn't get the artist, it'd just confuse you further.

The only Madonna 'contemporary' I like is Kylie. But of course that artist that saved my life isn't Kylie. I love Kylie, seen her 10 times (mostly front row), but I wouldn't compare her to Madonna except from the often have fans that adore them both.

I don't compare artist to artist. Pit female against female.

Nothing to be gained from that rubbish.

oh a kylie fan ..typical .....yawns - ignored now ..

15 minutes ago, LookingforJersey said:

Boy, this'll be long-winded. Like many fellow New Yorkers, I attend a lot of theater. Broadway, Off-Broadway, Opera, Ballet, etc. Two of my favorite performing arts campuses are Lincoln Center and, well, BAM. When I first heard Madame X, I thought... this isn't a pop album. My friends kept asking how I ranked it, where I would put it alongside her other work. I started to think of it as a musical and it started to make sense. Now, is it Sondheim? No, but it exists on a very different plane -- one that is Theatrical with a capital T. But a quiet, monochromatic kind of theatricality with flashes of color. 

So, when I heard she was doing a theater tour, I thought - of course. It's intimate, she'll probably augment the mini-documentary in theme and performance when translating to the stage. It'll be very informal. And since it was starting at BAM -- not to be stereotypical of the space -- I knew it would err on the side of minimalism. That's just the flavor there.

The night I attended turned out to be the first performance. My husband and I assumed she wouldn't pull her tardy antics since BAM is an entirely union house. Everyone would be making double time should the show run late. Well, that assumption went out the window! But when the show began, save for the two opening numbers (and that outfit eesh), it was everything I had hoped it would be. I didn't expect arena, but I didn't expect the level of movement and the constant ascending and descending those stairs. It made for a great stage picture but I thought - gee, that must be hell. Something about the last tour made me think that she was going to really ease up on movement. Some of the best part of the evenings to me were the Fado section, her chats with the crowd, Frozen. I could have spent 15 more minutes with the Batuka ladies circle. That section was so authentic. Yes she was moving there, but it seemed to come from a very honest, rather than strenuous place (I guess strenuous honesty can be a thing, too).

This has a point. I swear. Now, do I think the tickets were outrageously priced? Absolutely. Did I think the late starts are beyond beyond? Absolutely. Do I think the tour schedule is bonkers? Absolutely. But the piece itself - as a piece of theater - it's something I never thought I'd see her do. Madonna alone on stage being Madonna (not Tears of a Clown, thank you very much). And I find it heartbreaking that there was such misguidance and bullshit that have mucked it all up. We had a marvelous time that night, there were rapturous moments. I never went in expecting anything but what the space informed -- or what the title and artwork advertised. Rescue Me, Rain, etc.? She'll sing those again the day Trump is impeached. Don't hold your breath. But I was NOT expecting some of the beautiful stage pictures she gave us. And moments where she dropped the pitch correction and autotuning and gave us her. Unfiltered.

I hope she feels better -- but I'm hardly surprised. The schedule is hell! She goes on tour once every four years, no wonder she's spent. But there's something else that has felt off about it. I feel as though she wants to sit with the Batuka ladies (I know, I can't remember their names) and the Fado people, and jam. And I am totally down with that. Madame X fails for me when it tries to be "arena" sized. But when she smiled, it felt sooo right. 

Ok, maybe that didn't have a point. Whatever, just wanted to chime in.  

the stairs should have got the chop after eurovision ...that said i am not certain she injured herself on the stairs i dont think its something to do with joints i think she has banged her knee on something or fell...she seems to be obsessed with stairs and when i seen all the stairs on a clip  from the tour moving with her on them i thought oh no what if she fell down them or tripped and fell off them and also the way she lands from her splitz in the circle during human nature ..this could be possibly where she has hurt herself :( shes just trying to put on a great show in a small theatre but she needs to limit herself and slow down and limit these dates ..there are too many

3 minutes ago, mark perry said:

the stairs should have got the chop after eurovision ...that said i am not certain she injured herself on the stairs i dont think its something to do with joints i think she has banged her knee on something or fell...she seems to be obsessed with stairs and when i seen all the stairs on a clip  from the tour moving with her on them i thought oh no what if she fell down them or tripped and fell off them and also the way she lands from her splitz in the circle during human nature ..this could be possibly where she has hurt herself :( shes just trying to put on a great show in a small theatre but she needs to limit herself and slow down 

However it happened, it can't be fun to use those stairs when one's knee is out of commission. 

45 minutes ago, LookingforJersey said:

Boy, this'll be long-winded. Like many fellow New Yorkers, I attend a lot of theater. Broadway, Off-Broadway, Opera, Ballet, etc. Two of my favorite performing arts campuses are Lincoln Center and, well, BAM. When I first heard Madame X, I thought... this isn't a pop album. My friends kept asking how I ranked it, where I would put it alongside her other work. I started to think of it as a musical and it started to make sense. Now, is it Sondheim? No, but it exists on a very different plane -- one that is Theatrical with a capital T. But a quiet, monochromatic kind of theatricality with flashes of color. 

So, when I heard she was doing a theater tour, I thought - of course. It's intimate, she'll probably augment the mini-documentary in theme and performance when translating to the stage. It'll be very informal. And since it was starting at BAM -- not to be stereotypical of the space -- I knew it would err on the side of minimalism. That's just the flavor there.

The night I attended turned out to be the first performance. My husband and I assumed she wouldn't pull her tardy antics since BAM is an entirely union house. Everyone would be making double time should the show run late. Well, that assumption went out the window! But when the show began, save for the two opening numbers (and that outfit eesh), it was everything I had hoped it would be. I didn't expect arena, but I didn't expect the level of movement and the constant ascending and descending those stairs. It made for a great stage picture but I thought - gee, that must be hell. Something about the last tour made me think that she was going to really ease up on movement. Some of the best part of the evenings to me were the Fado section, her chats with the crowd, Frozen. I could have spent 15 more minutes with the Batuka ladies circle. That section was so authentic. Yes she was moving there, but it seemed to come from a very honest, rather than strenuous place (I guess strenuous honesty can be a thing, too).

This has a point. I swear. Now, do I think the tickets were outrageously priced? Absolutely. Did I think the late starts are beyond beyond? Absolutely. Do I think the tour schedule is bonkers? Absolutely. But the piece itself - as a piece of theater - it's something I never thought I'd see her do. Madonna alone on stage being Madonna (not Tears of a Clown, thank you very much). And I find it heartbreaking that there was such misguidance and bullshit that have mucked it all up. We had a marvelous time that night, there were rapturous moments. I never went in expecting anything but what the space informed -- or what the title and artwork advertised. Rescue Me, Rain, etc.? She'll sing those again the day Trump is impeached. Don't hold your breath. But I was NOT expecting some of the beautiful stage pictures she gave us. And moments where she dropped the pitch correction and autotuning and gave us her. Unfiltered.

I hope she feels better -- but I'm hardly surprised. The schedule is hell! She goes on tour once every four years, no wonder she's spent. But there's something else that has felt off about it. I feel as though she wants to sit with the Batuka ladies (I know, I can't remember their names) and the Fado people, and jam. And I am totally down with that. Madame X fails for me when it tries to be "arena" sized. But when she smiled, it felt sooo right. 

Ok, maybe that didn't have a point. Whatever, just wanted to chime in.  

Beautiful review and thoughts! The tops. Thank you!!! 

3 hours ago, mark perry said:

no im just calling out you and that NYC person who feels he needs to post screen shots of empty seats on a daily basis and you for even suggesting madonna is pretending to be injured to save face ...is the artist whom you admire dead ? if so let us madonna fans enjoy her while she is living ..i dont find madame x era strange

But is it your job to call people out here?  I appreciate anyone who might stick up for Madonna, but you haven't been any more nice or respectful with your replies to some.  I've seen you attack people and call them very rude, vulgar and nasty names when they haven't done anything but offer an opinion that doesn't agree with you. You also make wild assumptions about them that have nothing to do with what they have posted.  Certainly, I don't agree with the two you have targeted in this thread, but I also don't agree with how you have gone out of your way to derail this thread to fight with these people.  There are staff here who will deal with these people if they think they are out of line.  However the manifesto here (https://madonna-infinity.net/forums/guidelines/) that the@Fighter? wrote clearly states acceptance of people who might have criticism for Madonna.  In most of these cases, these people you fault are simply sharing an observation if not criticism.  I don't agree with them at all either, but I also have enough respect to allow them to share their opinion without calling them out, fighting with them, and insulting them.  If anyone is breaking any rules here, it is you.  You did the same@PWCCAthe other day in another thread when he respectfully criticized something of Madonna.  You even called him a "dickhead" among other things.  I'm sorry, but that is being highly disrespectful.  PWCCA has been a member here longer than you and I, but I also know that he is a huge fan and enjoys speaking in Madonna's favor as well.  How do I know? Because I've read other posts by him. I also have spoke to him privately.  I don't agree with all of his thoughts on Madonna, but he is respectful and doesn't insult people or demean them for having a different opinion than him.

My suggestion; you might want to let the staff take care of business here and you just "ignore" those who you don't agree with.  If not, you're going to have a tough time here because even the biggest Madonna fans such as myself doesn't always agree with everything Madonna says and does.  This forum isn't just here to worship and agree with Madonna's every move.  It's here to discuss the good, bad and ugly... RESPECTFULLY!  You're not being respectful by calling people out, insulting them and trying to assume they aren't fans because they don't agree with you or have criticism for Madonna.   Again, let the Infinty Staff do their job.  You just should sit back and share your appreciation for her because as of now, I only see you as someone who is intolerant of any opinion that doesn't agree with you and someone who is here to fight with others.  

If you decide to come back and insult me for what I posted, then I will put you on ignore. I'm not here to argue, belittle or fight with people.  I'm here to share my love of Madonna, and yes sometimes I might have some criticisms of her as well.  If you can't deal with it, put me on "ignore".  After all, this is a discussion board.  As long as I or anyone else isn't being vulgar, rude and demeaning, I'd say we have every right to post how we feel without you constantly calling everyone out and berating publicly. 

My apologies to the staff if I over stepped here, but I'm tired of this Mark Perry, derailing so many topics lately, being extremely disrespectful and insulting just because some have a different opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

But is it your job to call people out here?  I appreciate anyone who might stick up for Madonna, but you haven't been any more nice or respectful with your replies to some.  I've seen you attack people and call them very rude, vulgar and nasty names when they haven't done anything but offer an opinion that doesn't agree with you. You also make wild assumptions about them that have nothing to do with what they have posted.  Certainly, I don't agree with the two you have targeted in this thread, but I also don't agree with how you have gone out of your way to derail this thread to fight with these people.  There are staff here who will deal with these people if they think they are out of line.  However the manifesto here (https://madonna-infinity.net/forums/guidelines/) that the@Fighter? wrote clearly states acceptance of people who might have criticism for Madonna.  In most of these cases, these people you fault are simply sharing an observation if not criticism.  I don't agree with them at all either, but I also have enough respect to allow them to share their opinion without calling them out, fighting with them, and insulting them.  If anyone is breaking any rules here, it is you.  You did the same@PWCCAthe other day in another thread when he respectfully criticized something of Madonna.  You even called him a "dickhead" among other things.  I'm sorry, but that is being highly disrespectful.  PWCCA has been a member here longer than you and I, but I also know that he is a huge fan and enjoys speaking in Madonna's favor as well.  How do I know? Because I've read other posts by him. I also have spoke to him privately.  I don't agree with all of his thoughts on Madonna, but he is respectful and doesn't insult people or demean them for having a different opinion than him.

My suggestion; you might want to let the staff take care of business here and you just "ignore" those who you don't agree with.  If not, you're going to have a tough time here because even the biggest Madonna fans such as myself doesn't always agree with everything Madonna says and does.  This forum isn't just here to worship and agree with Madonna's every move.  It's here to discuss the good, bad and ugly... RESPECTFULLY!  You're not being respectful by calling people out, insulting them and trying to assume they aren't fans because they don't agree with you or have criticism for Madonna.   Again, let the Infinty Staff do their job.  You just should sit back and share your appreciation for her because as of now, I only see you as someone who is intolerant of any opinion that doesn't agree with you and someone who is here to fight with others.  

If you decide to come back and insult me for what I posted, then I will put you on ignore. I'm not here to argue, belittle or fight with people.  I'm here to share my love of Madonna, and yes sometimes I might have some criticisms of her as well.  If you can't deal with it, put me on "ignore".  After all, this is a discussion board.  As long as I or anyone else isn't being vulgar, rude and demeaning, I'd say we have every right to post how we feel without you constantly calling everyone out and berating publicly. 

My apologies to the staff if I over stepped here, but I'm tired of this Mark Perry, derailing so many topics lately, being extremely disrespectful and insulting just because some have a different opinion. 

well if you believe that the digitalwankerNYC is anything but a hater then youre deluded its pretty obvious if you ask me and yes i do think i can call people out if they just post negative things all of the time and i dont care what you think to be honest ..i dont agree with some of your posts either but i did not say that i did not agree with them because it was just a opinion ...that digitalwankerfromhell is a hater 

staff edit: this user is banned. Please ignore this post.

10 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

im not banned im still here and ill be back again 

Forum drama doesnt usually bother me but this was ridiculous. Yikes! Say your piece in one or two posts and MOVE ON.

I hope fighter doesn't close this place again. It must get so boring dealing with such pettiness. Like school kids arguing over pencils!

7 minutes ago, Winn said:

I hope fighter doesn't close this place again. It must get so boring dealing with such pettiness. Like school kids arguing over pencils!

Don't worry. People like mark perry (adamsapple, Eroticas and whatever other names they had) are known trolls in M forums, and theyve done the same in MNation if Im not wrong. The problem is they make 3746738384 accounts with different personalities. Just ignore. 

Apparently they hate forums but they have absolutely nothing else to do.

What is sadder is that some people engage them at the same level. Embarrassing.

57 minutes ago, Winn said:

Forum drama doesnt usually bother me but this was ridiculous. Yikes! Say your piece in one or two posts and MOVE ON.

I hope he doesn't close it either. It's a home for me. I love it so much here. 

I'll be curious to see if the remaining NY dates will be cancelled.   I prefer her to do so if she needs more time for her knee to heal.   I agree that she needs to make an announcement soon, rather wait til the night of the shows.  Though, we know Madonna is a trooper and will do everything to try to make her next date. I just would hate for her to risk harming herself more by doing so.  No matter how resilient and strong people are, there is no way she can defy her body aging. I mean that with the deepest respect.

4 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

I'll be curious to see if the remaining NY dates will be cancelled.   I prefer her to do so if she needs more time for her knee to heal.   I agree that she needs to make an announcement soon, rather wait til the night of the shows.  Though, we know Madonna is a trooper and will do everything to try to make her next date. I just would hate for her to risk harming herself more by doing so.  No matter how resilient and strong people are, there is no way she can defy her body aging. I mean that with the deepest respect.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more cancellations. And as bad as that would be for the fans, it is necessary that she take the correct time to fully heal. 

4 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

I agree. I'd rather see her cancel for a longer time than risk tearing her knee up completely so she can't ever dance again or anything  else. 

3 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more cancellations. And as bad as that would be for the fans, it is necessary that she take the correct time to fully heal. 

The thing that amazes me that she's been touring for so long now, that I'm surprised she hasn't had more injuries that kept her from performing.  Most people her age (and younger) cannot be as physical as she still is.  So we've been extremely lucky fans up to this point. 

6 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

I agree. Although we have no real clue how bad this injury is, a few days off could be all she needs.

• madgefan locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic