What Is Your Worst Madonna Albums?

baymad4her

On 8/31/2019 at 6:41 AM, Kieran said:

MDNA for me but I do like many aspects of it. Single songs rather than an album experience. However, Some Girls is like a black hole in Madonnas album discography. So empty and soulless and should not be on the main track list. I like the idea of Falling Free but that nasal, snotty vocal completely destroys the track for me. So lazy. Gang Bang was exciting at first but got tiresome very quickly.

But I absolutely love Masterlpiece and I'm Addicted.

That's really funny, Some Girls is my favorite from this album, and her voice in Falling Free seems so vulnerable.  It's so crazy how people can have such different tastes.  But I can see why you and a lot of other people hate Some Girls.  I think the reasons you don't like it might be part of why I do, if that makes any sense?  I love how mechanical she sounds for so much of it, it's just really different from a lot of her other stuff.

On 8/31/2019 at 2:56 PM, Kieran said:

The production does not bother me too much, but what really gets on my nerves is both Timberland and Timberlake not being able to stop cutting in, grunting and groaning all over the tracks. 

Pharrell too, with his "heys" and that "girl" he drops in the middle of Heartbeat that sounds so weirdly forced.  And Kanye's rap was weak AF.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:40 AM, momosfantasy said:

That's really funny, Some Girls is my favorite from this album, and her voice in Falling Free seems so vulnerable.  It's so crazy how people can have such different tastes.  But I can see why you and a lot of other people hate Some Girls.  I think the reasons you don't like it might be part of why I do, if that makes any sense?  I love how mechanical she sounds for so much of it, it's just really different from a lot of her other stuff.

It was a shame Some Girls wasn't included on the MDNA Tour. I like to imagine it would've had the Re-invention Tour Nobody Knows Me kind of vibe. At the time I thought it was a 3rd or 4th single for sure, mind you I was sure Love Spent would've been a single too. She made so many poor choices with the MDNA singles imo. I think that might be the running theme with her last few albums, just really odd choices for singles

So I’m sure I’ve posted in here before but it’s the end of 2022 so time to update. So this time I divided the number of songs I wouldn’t normally skip divided by the total number of songs per album to get a rating. I did this with only the standard track listings. Behold! If I ignored the math, RH MX would be higher. I grew up with Hard Candy and MDNA versus the earlier material. LAP to me is not as strong as it’s single edits (what even is that Express Yourself?) but all her albums are gorgeous and you can see the care (even if it seems absent with a couple) and I don’t find many catalogues that are nearly as interesting or lively. 

CE05859C-2C12-49C2-BD09-5180795A3F10.jpeg

On 12/13/2022 at 1:40 AM, momosfantasy said:

Some Girls is a song whose sound puzzled many fans because it was something totally different from everything Madonna had done up to that moment. Personally, when I heard this song for the first time, Christina Aguilera's Bionic album automatically came to mind, an album characterized by a futuristic and robotic sound where at times everything becomes chaotic and disordered. I'm sure "Some Girls" was inspired by that sound and I liked that Madonna was inspired by Christina Aguilera's album to write that song when Madonna is usually the one who sets trends in music and other artists end up imitating her and copying her. Something that continues to happen to this day because Madonna is the best and everyone would like to be like her.

312544413_Christina-Aguilera-Bionic-Deluxe-Edition-FanMadehhh(1).jpg.822e5970a50f045474e3c0167567b06d.jpg

For me, best to worsE

1. Erotica

2. American Life

3. Music

4. Ray of Light

5. Bedtime Stories

6. True Blue

7. Like A Prayer

8. Confessions on a dancefloor

9. Madonna

10. Like A Virgin

11. Rebel Heart

12. Hard Candy

13. MDNA

14. Madame X

* I’d place I’M Breathless after Like A Virgin depending if we are considering it an album.

16 minutes ago, TOpher said:

For me, best to worsE

1. Erotica

2. American Life

3. Music

4. Ray of Light

5. Bedtime Stories

6. True Blue

7. Like A Prayer

8. Confessions on a dancefloor

9. Madonna

10. Like A Virgin

11. Rebel Heart

12. Hard Candy

13. MDNA

14. Madame X

* I’d place I’M Breathless after Like A Virgin depending if we are considering it an album.

LOL so you´re not a lot into the Interscope years.

8 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

I adore Some Girl, Frankly!

Reminds me a bit of Felix Da Housecat's mix of "Die Another Day", Mount Sims mixes of "Nobody Knows Me" and Depeche Mode (which is why a lot of people compared it to Lady Gaga "I Like It Rough"- same inspiration). I love when she does hard electro. A lot of the remixes from the American Life era are just perfection and deserved to be there own era.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:40 AM, momosfantasy said:

She had a cold when recording the vocal for falling free…hence the nasel sound 

It´s interesting that Falling free is one my all time favourites, nobody could have done that song like that except of her. It´s very hers as a ballad and I love her vocals on it, and to me it´s her final farewell to Guy Ritchie. Also it gives me some LAP album vibes, don´t know why. I love it. It´s quite organic and heartfelt.

• 1 month later...

There is no worse album when an artist is this good.  At least for the good listeners. Not only the album has to be good, the listener must be good too.

If we're gonna claim, it should be about the strange, not much sticky melodies in Like A Prayer, or the simplicity and desperate commerciality of Confessions.

Not about the lack of popularity of albums as great as always, that simply can't be popular because they didn't had the media treatment the others had.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, FREDERIC RENAUD said:

Mdna - even William Orbit admitted it was not a good album 

He just said some songs were childish. Not a big thing when they were meant to be parodic bubblegum songs. He was angry for some reason.

Anyway, MDNA  is as good as M can be,   and it's very clear it was shaded by the bad mediatic moment.  Those who can't see it should employ their precious time in a thing they can do better than being a M fan. They ain't any good at it.