What Is Your Worst Madonna Albums?

baymad4her

That´s an easy choice for me :

1) MDNA - Her worst album ever. Honestly I only like 4 tracks : Falling Free, Masterpiece, Love Spent and Beautiful Killer. The rest is either cheesy (Some Girls, B-Day Song), embarrassing (Gang Bang) or totally childish (Superstar). And Give Me All Your Luvin is her worst single of all time!

2) Hard Candy - Kayne West, Justin Timberlake and Timberland on 1 album. That's too much for me to endure...

3) American Life - I only like 4 songs on this album (Nothing Fails, Intervention, Easy Ride & I´m So Stupid)...the rest is not her best work. And it has 3 of her most boring singles!

Edited by Daphne Du Maurier (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I can't throw any of her albums under the bus.  They all are unique and different in their own way.  I go through periods that certain albums won't get played as much such as Like A Virgin, Erotica, Bedtimes Stories and MDNA, but then I revisit them, only to be reminded how great they are.  Erotica tends to get less plays from me, so I guess that's the closest I can get to this topic, but I don't consider it her "worst" neither.  I also disagree with anyone who says it's "over rated" simply for the fact it wasn't an album people raved about at the time.  I believe over time, revisits to the album (including by critics), people felt it was a pretty solid album.  If anything, the writing is stellar on that album with many thoughtful and provocative topics.  Not that she was a stranger to such, but this time around it seemed far more poetic and poignant.  Up to Like A Prayer, she was just writing mostly fun little pop songs with clever hooks. 

On 10/4/2019 at 1:03 AM, Renato Iodice said:

I'm Breathless: I love Vogue but the rest of the tracklist is... er... pointless.

MDNA: garbage, and Masterpiece is one of the most overrated songs ever.

Rebel Heart: it sounds like a collection of demo.

Well when based on a film and tacking Vogue on of course it would seem out of place.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:46 AM, RinoTheBouncer said:

I don't "hate" or think any of her albums is "bad", but my least listened to and least favorite three albums by Madonna are Bedtime Stories, Hard Candy and Like A Virgin. I still like them and listen to them, just not as often as others.

I don't think there's one of hers I 'hate'.

Edited by professormouse (see edit history)

On 8/23/2019 at 6:41 PM, PWCCA said:

For me, the worst ones are her last four (Hard Candy, MDNA, Rebel Heart, and Madame X). I cannot find a lot appealing about them at all other than a few random tracks. 

Totally agree :)) some of her worst songwriting - i mean "Jesus loves my pussy best" :(( was she on acid when she wrote that awful song :((

13 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Well when based on a film and tacking Vogue on of course it would seem out of place.

it is not pointless. It is tied well with the era that 'Dick Tracy' takes place. 'Vogue' is a homage to this era's golden icons.

Edited by into the erotico (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, into the erotico said:

it is not pointless. It is tied well with the era that 'Dick Tracy' takes place. 'Vogue' is a homage to this era's golden icons.

I don’t think vogue was conceived when she finished recording im breathless though ? As we know it was recorded early1990 as a b-side only but thank god it was released as a single in its own right 

2 hours ago, PWCCA said:

Isn't it Yeesus.... that ego name that Kanye favours? Just as ridiculous as anything else though to be honest 

no offence but i would love to know what you consider great albums as you just seem to hate everything madonna has put out after confessions ...im guessing i would think they suck though lol 

16 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Totally agree :)) some of her worst songwriting - i mean "Jesus loves my pussy best" :(( was she on acid when she wrote that awful song :((

if youre not fond of pussy eating holy water is not for you i personally think its a clever song a follow up to where life begins .....

1 hour ago, mark perry said:

no offence but i would love to know what you consider great albums as you just seem to hate everything madonna has put out after confessions ...im guessing i would think they suck though lol 

If you want great albums, look at her output in the 80s, 90s, and early/mid 2000s. Thats what really great Madonna music sounds like. I'm no 'hater' (as the more juvenile here would like to label me), I'm just an old fan who has been here since the mid-80s and can recognise where (I feel) the quality of her musical output has dropped. People may disagree with me, and that is perfectly fine, we all have our own views. Madonna has had a very long career, and we all became fans at different points along her journey... and as such, we all have different expectations from her musical output.

And to address your last point... most of the music she has put out after Confessions is rather lacking (I'm not actually too crazy about Confessions either, but it was pretty much trademark Madonna, and it put her name on everyone's lips). Hard Candy was trash, MDNA was lacking and rather subpar (with the exception of Beautiful Killer, which was an absolutely brilliant track... sadly neglected), Rebel Heart was a patchwork mess (you could craft an album that is 10 times better from the demo leftovers, and that's rather unfortunate. When the big leak happened, we actually got a much better album in that lot than when the actual album was released). And Madame X... well that one is just not that great.... but had she not used the extreme vocal manipulation it could have been at least half-decent (which would account for its abysmal sales and low streams).

These are just my views, I do not claim to speak the opinions of others, and others will either share or oppose my views... and thats totally fine. A forum like this would become rather dull and uninteresting if we all agreed on everything.

17 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

If you want great albums, look at her output in the 80s, 90s, and early/mid 2000s. Thats what really great Madonna music sounds like. I'm no 'hater' (as the more juvenile here would like to label me), I'm just an old fan who has been here since the mid-80s and can recognise where (I feel) the quality of her musical output has dropped. People may disagree with me, and that is perfectly fine, we all have our own views. Madonna has had a very long career, and we all became fans at different points along her journey... and as such, we all have different expectations from her musical output.

And to address your last point... most of the music she has put out after Confessions is rather lacking (I'm not actually too crazy about Confessions either, but it was pretty much trademark Madonna, and it put her name on everyone's lips). Hard Candy was trash, MDNA was lacking and rather subpar (with the exception of Beautiful Killer, which was an absolutely brilliant track... sadly neglected), Rebel Heart was a patchwork mess (you could craft an album that is 10 times better from the demo leftovers, and that's rather unfortunate. When the big leak happened, we actually got a much better album in that lot than when the actual album was released). And Madame X... well that one is just not that great.... but had she not used the extreme vocal manipulation it could have been at least half-decent (which would account for its abysmal sales and low streams).

These are just my views, I do not claim to speak the opinions of others, and others will either share or oppose my views... and thats totally fine. A forum like this would become rather dull and uninteresting if we all agreed on everything.

Madonna could put the greatest album of her career out and it would have low sales and streams its called...her age and lack of support from radio etc etc  ...if you could please show me a  female artist of her age who gets big numbers ..please do ..I will wait - tbh i would not call madame x sales abysmal and the streams are not that bad either but keep on trashing her newest work ...lol ..I would like to know what you consider a great album that is not Madonna ..i feel there is a reason why you feel the need to bash her newest work like you have the best taste in music ever ...please tell im really interested in hearing what other artists you think have better albums as that could speak volumes and explain why your'e so anti new madonna eras ....your'e prob a kylie fan or something ....madame x critically you know actual music critics not some random welsh bloke were pretty good and it pisses all over the likes of the album like a virgin and hard candy and mdna - i just think you have bad taste or prefer a different artist to madonna ...I dont think her musical quality dropped i just think you got old and your musical tastes changed ....your opinion in music could just be poor ...i actually would not call any madonna album trash and ive listened to a lot of albums by different artists and i know what trash sounds like