What Is Your Worst Madonna Albums?

baymad4her

MDNA would be my least favorite : most of it sounds unfinished, it feels like some of the songs want to explode but it's getting nowhere. In most cases, the live versions are far superior.

And even though I really like most of the songs on it, True Blue is not a record I go back to very often as an album, I'm not sure how to explain my thoughts on it...

• 1 month later...
Guest Nobody Knows Me

I don’t think she has any bad albums, but right now Madame X is the one I don’t listen to as frequently as others.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
5 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

Madame X is one album I never listen to and will never buy. I don't get the whole Madame X era at all, although I do listen to the official remixes. 

The Honey Dijon remixes for I Don’t Search I Find were amazing, and apparently Casey Schpooner got his writing credit on God Control so I wish they’d get the remixes out for that as well.

Of the studio albums, I can't call any of their albums bad. Hard Candy is a bit flat and MX is partly an exhausting mess. But all in all GHV2 is her worst release: With Immaculate Collection she had a perfect template how to make a "best of" new, fresh and exciting. GHV2 showed how it should not be done under any circumstances.

9 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

The Honey Dijon remixes for I Don’t Search I Find were amazing, and apparently Casey Schpooner got his writing credit on God Control so I wish they’d get the remixes out for that as well.

Yes, I really want the God Control mixes to be released ?

On 7/6/2020 at 7:30 AM, Levon said:

Of the studio albums, I can't call any of their albums bad. Hard Candy is a bit flat and MX is partly an exhausting mess. But all in all GHV2 is her worst release: With Immaculate Collection she had a perfect template how to make a "best of" new, fresh and exciting. GHV2 showed how it should not be done under any circumstances.

GHV2 was done simply to push out a GH at the time. You can tell given by how she could have cared less about the project (no new photos, not insisting on adding any tracks) that it was more than likely a contract obligation to release to capitalize on her ROL/Music peak. 

On 8/24/2019 at 12:16 PM, Jaawsshhh said:

Sadly her last few albums. Madame X, Rebel Heart (it's grown on me A LOT, but I still prefer the demos), and MDNA. 

It's funny, but the tours have boosted the albums a bit more for me over time. 

I stand by my statement above, but I kind of wanted to dive deeper as why. Please note I'm going to give lots of praise to these albums as far as production and creativity. 

With Madame X, what is/was lacking is the cohesiveness. The album feels as if the shuffle button were hit right when they were printing the album. And as much as I love lots of songs, some could have been left out (this was the biggest issue with RH). But I will say, this is Madonna's best album as a creative artist. She finally stopped following trends from Hard Candy onward. I made a somewhat cohesive tracklist on Spotify for kicks:
God Control
Medellin
Crave - sometimes I replace it with the Tracy Young remix
Addicted
Future
Batuka
Killers Who Are Partying
Faz Gostoso *
Extreme Occident 
Dark Ballet - the second half of the song really annoys me :(
Come Alive *
Beautiful Scars
Bitch I'm Loca *
I Don't Search I Find
I Rise (Tracy Young's Pride Mix)
Looking For Mercy 
* = deluxe/bonus tracks. And yes I included 2 RH songs. They really flow with this tracklist. I would have added the 3 other songs but they aren't on Spotify (I do own the CD tho)

Rebel Heart...the leak did hurt the album and perspective on it sadly. The demos sounded amazing as is and it's terrible M and her team had to rush to re-mix most the songs. Over time, I grew to enjoy the album with thanks to the RHT. As stated above, it has way too many songs. I'm good with fewer songs that are strong than a large album with only a handful of solid songs. Sadly, I would have eliminated Body Shop, Best Night and Veni Vidi Vici from the tracklist and saved them as b-sides for CD singles.

Speaking of singles, the RH singles were great choices too. But I would have released these:
Living For Love/Rebel Heart (Acoustic demo)
Ghosttown
Bitch I'm Madonna
Wash All Over Me (original version with Avicii and have the album version as a remix)
Unapologetic Bitch
I would also replace some of the mastered album tracks with their demo form too.

Not even sure my creative mind could save MDNA :speakno:LOL. It was produced amazingly, not gonna lie. It's very polished and sleek, which I love. But some of the songs are just too A.) Ridiculous or B.) Sound too much alike. I know this was supposed to be her post divorce album, and I sense the music/rhythm is supposed to represent her anger (because the beats on the album are very angry and aggressive). But part of me wishes there were a few more songs with emotion - which is a big reason I adore Falling Free.

I'm very iffy on having I'm Addicted, I'm A Sinner, Superstar and Some Girls on the album. I tend to want to take them out but when I listen to them, I somewhat enjoy them? IAS is probably the most listenable out of those 4 to me and sounds different too. I would most definitely add Beautiful Killer to the main tracklist. 

• 10 months later...

For me, from favourite to least favorite;

1. Madonna
  2. Like a Virgin
  3. Confessions on a Dance Floor
  4. Bedtime Stories
  5. Music
  6. True Blue
  7. American Life
  8. Like a Prayer
  9. Madame X
  10. Rebel Heart
  11. Erotica
  12. Play of trash
  13. Hard to listen
  14. MDNO

Top 3 - trinity

Next 3 - honourable mentions

7-8 - average

Next 3 - below average

Bottom 3 - disposable

Is there no option to change text colour?

20 minutes ago, godx said:

It's interesting how it changes depending on the generation. I think for fans under 25 the obvious answer is Like a Virgin. I can't imagine how someone can place any other album below it. 

And the fans who likely experienced Like a Virgin first hand seem to hate MDNA, Rebel Heart and Madame X even though they all vary in quality - Which seems more like an inherent prejudice against modern sounds than a genuine preference.

The album tracks on Madonna, Like a Virgin, True Blue, Like a Prayer don't hold a candle to the standard of Madame X.

Hahaha I was born in 2000. 

It changes. It used to be Like a Virgin but now I think it’s rather solid. True Blue stays very low generally. Followed by Bedtime Stories and Erotica. And those are both very strong albums too, so I don’t have one I don’t really like. I’m Breathless and Evita if considered would be between True Blue and BS.