What Is Your Worst Madonna Albums?

baymad4her

7 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

When I compare to other singer's catalogs like Cher, Janet Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Kylie Minogue, Michael Jackson and Prince; there are no bad Madonna albums.   All of those singers have produced complete shit albums along side their other work.  Madonna does not have an album as bad as Michael Jackson's Invincible for example.  Not even close.  My least favorite Madonna album is Like a Virgin by far but it was a worldwide smash.  It just feels the least Madonna inspired work that she ever produced.   I like when a Madonna song/contribution/album  feels like it comes from her soul.  LAV felt produced.  

Sooooo true. I’d call myself a Kylie fan, I’ve seen her live loads but she’s more than few albums that are total garbage. It’s really not the same with M. 

On 5/16/2021 at 9:59 AM, Madame Madonna said:

Bedtime stories.

I like music videos from that album. "Secret, take a bow, human nature, bedtime story." I like the music video from this era.

But song itself? I only like Secret. the others are just meh for me. Even Take a bow is just meh for me.

This album feels like a collection of demo songs composed of dissonance.

So I always choose as the least favorite Madonna album as Bedtime stories.

I somewhat agree.

To me Bedtime Stories is good, but definitely not great.

I guess its perception is helped by its great videos, but the tracklist is hit or miss; I love Secret, Bedtime Story, Sanctuary, Take a Bow, Survival, but the rest is... er... not that great.

Don't Stop and I'd Rather etc etc are among her worst '90 songs, and I don't get the appeal of Forbidden Love or Love Tried To Welcome Me either: the production is not bad, but there's something that bores me.

Unpopular opinion: Human Nature could be one of her best video, but the track itself is just fine, nothing else.

On 5/17/2021 at 4:01 AM, RUADJAI said:

Dissonance?!  Bedtime Stories as a whole feels like a warm hug. (with the exception of Human Nature) I would say its flaw is not having lyrical substance with the non-singles. If you want to hear real dissonance, listen to some Bjork songs. 

Do you mean warm hug from demo album? LOL

3 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

I somewhat agree.

To me Bedtime Stories is good, but definitely not great.

I guess its perception is helped by its great videos, but the tracklist is hit or miss; I love Secret, Bedtime Story, Sanctuary, Take a Bow, Survival, but the rest is... er... not that great.

Don't Stop and I'd Rather etc etc are among her worst '90 songs, and I don't get the appeal of Forbidden Love or Love Tried To Welcome Me either: the production is not bad, but there's something that bores me.

Unpopular opinion: Human Nature could be one of her best video, but the track itself is just fine, nothing else.

I know right?

Very Well said. I mean it maybe not worst but it's just Not that good. I mean it's not even "not that great level." It is "Not that good" level.

And i totally agree with you about Unpopular opinion!! I mean I really like human Nature video. But song itself it just meh... to me. I always surprised that Madonna and so many fans choose that song as one of her best.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:52 AM, me1981 said:

Hard Candy/MDNA  especially sound like the producers album wth guest vocalist Madonna.

Mmm... The thing is, Madonna authored, composed and produced all those songs—along with those producers and writers, but she did, so maybe that's actually what she wanted. I, for one, like the urban/rap/hip-hop element of some of Madonna's music.

23 hours ago, Madame Madonna said:

And i totally agree with you about Unpopular opinion!! I mean I really like human Nature video. But song itself it just meh... to me. I always surprised that Madonna and so many fans choose that song as one of her best.

Well, the single wasn't a success in the '90s, and on Spotify it's not even on her top 100.

It's just overrated by the fanbase.

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)

I guess I'm the only fan who prefers Hard Candy to MDNA/Rebel Heart/Madame X. By far and by large.

Hard Candy may not be her best, but it's still a good, solid, funny album full of bops, as well as some musical coherence from start to finish... it's not perfect, and the two ballads are way too similar to Timberlake/Furtado's ones, but I really appreciate Pharrell's production, in particular Beat Goes On and She's Not Me.

34 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

Mmm... The thing is, Madonna authored, composed and produced all those songs—along with those producers and writers, but she did, so maybe that's actually what she wanted. I, for one, like the urban/rap/hip-hop element of some of Madonna's music.

I like those aspects too, but HC is Pharrell and Timberlake/Timberland. Some songs even sound like carbon copies of their other tunes. M may have authored it all, but she may have done so at a time when her focus was in other places. I don't hate any of her albums, but these are weak efforts to me. It feels like she relied to much on the producers.

Not to say I don't listen to songs from those albums. HC more so, but just because I like some songs, doesn't mean the album is good or isn't a poor Madonna effort. 

I respect though that you like either or both. 

33 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

Not really. Especially on MDNA, most songs were basically ready before Madge got her hands on them. Music, lyrics, production, everything was already in place more or less. All she and the producers did during the actual recording process was changing a word here and there or adding a few layers to the production. On MDNA, all songs except for Superstar, Gang Bang (same lyrics but entirely new production) and I‘m Addicted (where she most likely wrote the lyrics as her co-writers speak little English) were written and produced more or less entirely without her.

On Hard Candy, we know that at least Heartbeat was more or less ready before she got her hands on it. Several other songs went through all different kinds of stages though as demos have proven so her input was definitely bigger here. 

REMEMBER: There is not bad album from Madonna. Even the worst album has amazing songs in them. But I'll try to be honest with my list (I know Madonna's music from Burning Up (1983), and I became a Fan with Express Yourself in 1989)

For me, the "worst" are:

- Madame X: I don't know why but I can't connect with her music in this album (I only connect with a couple of tracks).

- Rebel Heart: Yes, the demos are masterpieces, but the final album destroyed many amazing tracks.

- Bedtime Stories: Her "I'm sorry, I will never talk about sex again" album. Boring (but I love "Bedtime Story" and "Sanctuary" and it have good tracks like "Secret" or "Take A Bow").

- Music: "Don't Tell Me", "I deserved it", "Paradise (not for me)" and "What It Feels Like For A Girl (Above & Beyond Club Radio/video Edit)" save the album, but in my opinion this album is extremely overrated and noisy.

17 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

I guess I'm the only fan who prefers Hard Candy to MDNA/Rebel Heart/Madame X. By far and by large.

Hard Candy may not be her best, but it's still a good, solid, funny album full of bops, as well as some musical coherence from start to finish... it's not perfect, and the two ballads are way too similar to Timberlake/Furtado's ones, but I really appreciate Pharrell's production, in particular Beat Goes On and She's Not Me.

Ok I think We seem to have kind of similar tastes.

I don't prefer Hard candy to MDNA/Rebel Heart/Madame X.

BUT!!

I really do not understand of hate about Hard Candy album.

Yeah It's not her best album but at least It's much better than Bedtime stories.

14 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

REMEMBER: There is not bad album from Madonna. Even the worst album has amazing songs in them. But I'll try to be honest with my list (I know Madonna's music from Burning Up (1983), and I became a Fan with Express Yourself in 1989)

For me, the "worst" are:

- Madame X: I don't know why but I can't connect with her music in this album (I only connect with a couple of tracks).

- Rebel Heart: Yes, the demos are masterpieces, but the final album destroyed many amazing tracks.

- Bedtime Stories: Her "I'm sorry, I will never talk about sex again" album. Boring (but I love "Bedtime Story" and "Sanctuary" and it have good tracks like "Secret" or "Take A Bow").

- Music: "Don't Tell Me", "I deserved it", "Paradise (not for me)" and "What It Feels Like For A Girl (Above & Beyond Club Radio/video Edit)" save the album, but in my opinion this album is extremely overrated and noisy.

So true. There is not bad album from Madonna. We are talking about our the least favorite album. 

And a lot of part I agree with what you're saying except Music part.

-Madame X  I think that it is good album. But problem is I just can't connect with music from this album!!!!! How can I explain this feeling? It feels like she's forcing us to say this is good music. But the problem is, emotionally, no song moves or touches my heart. For good example dark ballet, god control, I rise... I totally get that what kind of message she want to deliver to world but I just can't true feel from these songs.

-Rebel heart : yes Demos are masterpieces but the final album is shocking. especially Rebel heart Avicii demo! it was A masterpiece and she ruined it with horrible mix!

-Bedtime stories : so true. I get that this album is recovery from Erotica Sex Book era but most of songs from this album are feels like early production from demos. Except Secret.

19 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

For me, the "worst" are:

Well, the only overrated thing about Music, is the Above & Beyond remix of WIFLFAG. Fact :-)

Anyway, my personal list, from best to worst.

1. Confessions: perfection from start to finish.

2. True Blue: five legendary singles, and while the fillers aren't all that great, they are still enjoyable - with the exception of Love Makes etc etc.

3. Erotica: Some of her most underrated singles, and an explosive production from Pettibone and Betts.

4. The First Album: again, perfection from start to finish... what a timeless sound...

5. Music: her most experimental work, I just complain about Amazing and Runaway Lover because they sound like Ray of Light's outtakes, but the rest is simply amazing. And I happen to love American Pie and Cyberraga.

6. Like a Virgin: ok, it's a little dated, and some tracks didn't age well, but Angel and Dress You Up are still among my favourite singles from the '80s.

7. Like a Prayer: the title track is probably her best song ever, but the rest of the tracklist is not among my favourite Madonna's works.

8. Ray of Light: I love the singles and Sky Fits Heaven, but, even though I occasionaly listen to Swim, Skin, etc etc, unfortunately the rest doesn't work for me... am I the only one who found Little Star, To Have etc etc, Mer Girl, Has To Be BORING?

9. Hard Candy: well, it's funny, I won't apologize for saying this :-)

10. Bedtime Stories: sorry, it's a hit or miss album. But Secret is still one of my favourite songs.

11, American Life: while I somewhat appreciate it from start to finish, I think it totally lacks a killer track, a real unforgettable song.

And now her worst albums, that I never listen to.

12. Madame X: too much autotune/vocoder as well as bad vocals.

13. Rebel Heart: what a mess, the demos were one billion times better.

14. MDNA: I like I'm Addicted and Gang Bang. Period.

15. I'm Breathless: I listen to Vogue, I skip the rest... what a grating, cheesy, coarse, irritating, rushed soundtrack.

16 hours ago, BadGurlMadge said:

Commentary on her albums.

first album

I like this album a lot! With the exception of I know it, which is one of her worse 80s songs. Still every other song is enjoyable and well Everybody may be repetitive but the edit is good! Better than like a virgin worse than true blue.

like a virgin

I like some songs but overall this is not that great. I have favourite songs such as Dress You Up, but I think songs like Angel are a bit boring. Not bad, has legendary singles, but nothing special.

true blue

Perfection from start to finish with 5 singles that are some of her best from her whole career. Great!!

like a prayer

Great collection of songs. Truly the pop bible, I can’t really get into songs such as love song but oh well it’s still amazing.

erotica

Good album. Loved it way more before but I guess it’s a season album as I listen to this and Bedtime Stories in the autumn more. Overall fine.

bedtime stories 

Truly the follow up to erotica but better. Fine songs and a cozy vibe. Should get recognized more by the fans and not only human nature. Bedtime Story is a bit boring though.

ray of light

It’s a good album but nowhere near to be her best. I love tracks as “Swim” and the title track, but overall I cannot connect with the vibe of this album as I can with her others.

music 

Not a good album. Sounds like unfinished demos, never got the hype around this album. 

american life 

The reaction I get from this is ok. Nothing special.

confessions 

Great album, not in my top 5 though.

hard candy, mdna, rebel heart

Boring albums. Hard Candy ja the best out of those three, the other two are not so good and I feel like MDNA + Rebel Heart are the same albums or could have demos from the same session. Not impressed.

madame x

A huge comeback, for the first time since confessions! I actually like the sound of this.

Madame X a huge comeback? Ok -_-

1) Ray of light

2) Erotica

3) Like a prayer 

4) American life

5) Madame X

6) Madonna

7) Confessions on a dance floor

8) Music

9) True blue

10) Hard candy

11) Rebel heart

12) Bedtime stories

13) Like a virgin

20) MDNA I do listen to MDNA, but the artistic value of this album is abysmal and I really don't feel like putting it close to the rest. 

5 hours ago, Jet said:

NOOO!!! It’s one of her best! Listen again to he’s a man, something to remember, back in business! The sheer raspy power of her voice toward the end of back in business and throughout hanky panky is stunning! She used her rescue me voice for the first time on that album and it sounded wonderful! The lyrics throughout are so good as well, really well crafted songs especially in cry baby and he’s a man. And the beauty of what can you lose too…sorry, I went off on one, I just really love that album!

Sorry, I don't care about the opinion of a fan who thinks Confessions is Madonna's worst album :-) 

10 hours ago, Jet said:

Confessions on a dance floor.

I wouldn't say it's her worst album, but, it's definitely not as great as people make out.

I only like four songs off the album; Get Together, Sorry, Future Lovers, Forbidden Love. The last five songs in my opinion are bland and unlistenable. I've never even liked "Hung Up" all that much which is blasphemous against Madonna fans, it seems.