What Is Your Worst Madonna Albums?

baymad4her

5 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Ummm holiday, like a Virgin, Love don’t live here anymore, papa don’t preach, open your heart, la Isla Bonita, spotlight, vogue, justify my love, Fever, bedtime Story, frozen, Ray of light, sky fits heaven, Candy perfume girl. 
Just a few songs that she bought or ripped off haha.

?? La isla bonita, Vogue, Frozen and Sky fits heaven were all written by her. Fever, ROL and LDLHA are covers so it doesn't really fit this discussion. 

And yes, she had released songs that she didn't write before, but never a whole album. She had never not cared before. 

17 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I agree with you, but remember one thing. Madonna needed songs made by others at the beginning of her career. So for me that it's not a problem. And many of her hits are songs written by others with two words changed by her.

Of course. However, it wasn't an entire album and it was much, much better written songs. 

11 minutes ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

?? La isla bonita, Vogue, Frozen and Sky fits heaven were all written by her. Fever, ROL and LDLHA are covers so it doesn't really fit this discussion. 

And yes, she had released songs that she didn't write before, but never a whole album. She had never not cared before. 

La Isla Bonita was done for MJ and Quincy Jones rejected it. But that might have been just the instrumental.

She wrote the lyrics to Vogue based on a song popular in the ballroom culture at the time and got sued by the original artist.

Frozen is a ripoff from a Scandinavian rock band. They sued her for it and won.

I think covers do count as well

2 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

La Isla Bonita was done for MJ and Quincy Jones rejected it. But that might have been just the instrumental.

She wrote the lyrics to Vogue based on a song popular in the ballroom culture at the time and got sued by the original artist.

Frozen is a ripoff from a Scandinavian rock band. They sued her for it and won.

I think covers do count as well

It's the first time I heard about the Vogue lawsuit. Do you have any sources? I'd like to read about it. And even if it wasn't original, she was still the author of the song. :)

For Frozen, I think you're getting your facts mixed up. The lawsuit (which she actually won in the end) was started by a Dutch guy called Salvatore Aquaviva or something and he sued her over the lyric "love is a bird, she needs to fly". Unless you are referring to an entirely different lawsuit I've never heard about? Even then, again, it would mean that it wasn't original, not that she didn't write it. 

I was wrong. She wasn't sued for Frozen over "love is a bird, she needs to fly", she was sued over the instrumental intro (and won the case). So nothing to do with the songwriting anyway. 

Why try to deny Madonna's efforts and accomplishments as a songwriter? The truth is that she has consistently written the vast majority of her songs, except for a few tracks here and there. She had more songs written by other artists at the very beginning, but that's normal for a new artist that's still following the label's every instruction. 

27 minutes ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

Why try to deny Madonna's efforts and accomplishments as a songwriter? 

No one is trying to deny Madonna's efforts as songwriter. But tell me why we must to love "Open Your Heart" or "Like A Virgin" and we must to hate "Love Spent" or "Gang Bang". That's the point of this debate. 

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

No one is trying to deny Madonna's efforts as songwriter. But tell me why we must to love "Open Your Heart" or "Like A Virgin" and we must hate "Love Spent" or "Gang Bang". That's the point of this debate. 

You don't have to hate anything. I just personally find it a lot less appealing to know that it wasn't her input for most of the album, that's all. 

14 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Haha some of the Bonus tracks are my favorites. I fucked up, best friend and Beautiful Killer ☺️

Really? I think they all rub me on the wrong way somehow, there's something mopey about them, or maybe its because the birthday song is in between.

This is an album that I played  a lot when it came out and I was pleased with the brainless pop and EDM vibe. But annoys me  a bit now. And I do still enjoy fun brainless pop, so it's nothing about musical maturity or crap like that. Maybe I'll get back to it.

5 hours ago, EgoRod said:

Really? I think they all rub me on the wrong way somehow, there's something mopey about them, or maybe its because the birthday song is in between.

This is an album that I played  a lot when it came out and I was pleased with the brainless pop and EDM vibe. But annoys me  a bit now. And I do still enjoy fun brainless pop, so it's nothing about musical maturity or crap like that. Maybe I'll get back to it.

Ha I know what you mean. When it first came out I played the album to death and then I never touched it for years but now I love it again. 
Those 3 bonus tracks are my faves, along with Give Me all Your Luvin, I Don’t Give A and Some Girls. And I hate Superstar, Bday Song, Falling Free and Gang Bang.

Honestly I play this more often than some fan favorites like Confessions and Ray Of Light…

2 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Ha I know what you mean. When it first came out I played the album to death and then I never touched it for years but now I love it again. 
Those 3 bonus tracks are my faves, along with Give Me all Your Luvin, I Don’t Give A and Some Girls. And I hate Superstar, Bday Song, Falling Free and Gang Bang.

Honestly I play this more often than some fan favorites like Confessions and Ray Of Light…

I actually love Falling Free, Gang Bang I liked it when it came out not anymore ( I think because of the MDNA tour) . I do like Some Girls and GMAYL.

I realized I was thinking about Rebel Heart when I said about the Bonus tracks.

Gonna give a couple of runs to MDNA. This thread is making me listen to all of them

23 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Same here, and I love Confessions and Ray of Light, but I play some singles from these albums, not the albums. I play more often MDNA (the album).

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2021 at 3:06 PM, Material Girl said:

Even if I listen to it less than others, HARD CANDY is the one I prefer the least.

Hard Candy really is a terrible album which is ironic, seeing as I think it's the album that has been at number one in the most countries.

13 hours ago, baymad4her said:

Hard Candy really is a terrible album which is ironic, seeing as I think it's the album that has been at number one in the most countries.

It's definitely not a terrible album in the slightest. It's a pretty good album in the grand scheme of things. Obviously it's gonna look bad if you compare it to like a prayer, but that's not fair. Compared to albums by Britney, Katy Perry etc? Definitely not bad. I really enjoys it even though I can see its flaws. 

20 hours ago, baymad4her said:

it's really dated and stale. even when it came out in 2008 it was already dated, the sound is very 06/07 and everyone else had already moved on from it. the only songs I listen to from it are Give it to me and Miles Away but only the remixes.

it's a hard one for me to decide my least favourite album. it's a toss up between HC, MDNA, RH and MX. but I did listen to HC, MDNA and RH a lot when they came out but it's been years since I've listened to any of them except a song or two from each I have on playlists. 

and Madame X I just stopped listening it after a couple of weeks, so I guess that's my least favourite album.

Rebel Heart  is the worst one I think

I think the demos were mainly better than what ended up on the album and was far too many filler type tracks on there - she should have cut the album down to about 10 tracks or even an EP with only the better ones making the selection and in most cases using the demo versions. Diplo and Kayne producted tracks were the worst offenders