What Is Your Worst Madonna Albums?

baymad4her

2 hours ago, mazzona said:

Madame X.

Sonically good, but lyrically unbearable, superficial. Lyrics do not do justice to Portuguese inspired sound.

It has a few lines throughout I like, but it's definitely lyrically one of her weakest albums Hard Candy is pretty dire in that respect though 

"I bent my knees for you like a prayer; my God, look at me now"

"It's a hustle, it's a con... It's a weird kind of energy, a bizarre thing that happens to be"

"They say that we need love
But we need more than this"

"People think that I'm insane
The only gun is in my brain
Each new birth, it gives me hope"

"It's a beautiful dream, but a dream is earned
I can dress like a boy, I can dress like a girl
Keep your beautiful words, 'cause I'm not concerned"

"Venus was hovering above us 
I took a trip, it set me free
Forgave myself for being me"

"I took a pill and had a dream 

I went back to my 17th year
Allowed myself to be naive 
To be someone I've never been 

I took a sip and had a dream
And I woke up in Medellín 
The sun was caressing my skin 
Another me could now begin"

"Sipping my pain just like champagne
Found myself dancing in the rain with you
I felt so naked and alive 
For once I didn't have to hide myself"

Edited to add just a few favourite lyrics off the top of my head

Edited by Openyourheart (see edit history)

2 hours ago, mazzona said:

Madame X.

Sonically good, but lyrically unbearable, superficial. Lyrics do not do justice to Portuguese inspired sound.

Really? While she was originally inspired when in Portugal, she was pretty clear that the album is more of a world sound than just Portuguese.  Also, the lyrics are very astute and mature.  I suspect there are a few songs we can agree are superficial, but over all the album is very well written. 

6 hours ago, Openyourheart said:

It has a few lines throughout I like, but it's definitely lyrically one of her weakest albums Hard Candy is pretty dire in that respect though 

"I bent my knees for you like a prayer; my God, look at me now"

"It's a hustle, it's a con... It's a weird kind of energy, a bizarre thing that happens to be"

But we need more than this"

"People think that I'm insane
The only gun is in my brain
Each new birth, it gives me hope"

"Venus was hovering above us 
I took a trip, it set me free
Forgave myself for being me"

"I took a pill and had a dream 

I went back to my 17th year
Allowed myself to be naive 
To be someone I've never been 

I took a sip and had a dream
And I woke up in Medellín 
The sun was caressing my skin 
Another me could now begin"

"Sipping my pain just like champagne
Found myself dancing in the rain with you
I felt so naked and alive 
For once I didn't have to hide myself"

Edited to add just a few favourite lyrics off the top of my head

Yeah, only a few lines.

One of my fav is, as you also quoted:

But we need more than this" - but the rest of the song is .... ( i like it though)

To this day,I am obsessed with 'IDSIF.'. Remixes of that song are my fav ever. I do still listen.

I literally opened my Spotify to recall the track list. Lyrics of 'Killers Who Are Partying' must be the song with the worst lyrics of the century. 

6 hours ago, tscott said:

Really? While she was originally inspired when in Portugal, she was pretty clear that the album is more of a world sound than just Portuguese.  Also, the lyrics are very astute and mature.  I suspect there are a few songs we can agree are superficial, but over all the album is very well written. 

I mean, of course, she will promote it as more of a world sound, but it is more of a Portuguese sound (to me). 

Idk. I personally find songs ant lyrics juvenile rather than mature.  Even MDNA has songs with better, more mature and complicated lyrics.

"I will be gay, if the gay are burned
I'll be Africa, if Africa is shut down
I will be poor, if the poor are humiliated
And I'll be a child, if the children are exploited"

---- Good intentions do not make a good song or lyrics. I literally lmao to this song. it is even problematic to a degree that it sounds like stemming from a saviour complex. Regardless of intentions, i find it embarrassing and very cringey. 

Edited by mazzona (see edit history)

5 hours ago, mazzona said:

Yeah, only a few lines.

One of my fav is, as you also quoted:

But we need more than this" - but the rest of the song is .... ( i like it though)

To this day,I am obsessed with 'IDSIF.'. Remixes of that song are my fav ever. I do still listen.

I literally opened my Spotify to recall the track list. Lyrics of 'Killers Who Are Partying' must be the song with the worst lyrics of the century. 

Yeah, just a few, it is definitely one of her weakest lyrically in my mind. 'Killers' is abysmal.

9 hours ago, mazzona said:

I mean, of course, she will promote it as more of a world sound, but it is more of a Portuguese sound (to me). 

It's not that she "will", she did promote it as such!  She was clear in the promotional campaign, that she was first inspired by local artists in Lisbon, and then it kept growing as she started working with more artists and producers, so she considers the album a "world sound". 

Idk. I personally find songs ant lyrics juvenile rather than mature.  Even MDNA has songs with better, more mature and complicated lyrics.

"I will be gay, if the gay are burned
I'll be Africa, if Africa is shut down
I will be poor, if the poor are humiliated
And I'll be a child, if the children are exploited"

---- Good intentions do not make a good song or lyrics. I literally lmao to this song. it is even problematic to a degree that it sounds like stemming from a saviour complex. Regardless of intentions, i find it embarrassing and very cringey.

So that's just ONE song you personally take issue with.  But those quoted lyrics are actually cleverly written.  They make a profound statement regarding social and world issues.  Still, even if we agreed that this song is juvenile, there are other songs like "Dark Ballet", "God Control", "Batuka", "Looking for Mercy" and "I Rise" which are very well written and hardly "juvenile".  But then again, a great song doesn't have to have profound and mature lyrics to be great.  Some of her most iconic songs are just fun pop songs, that don't necessarily have a lot of profound lyrics. 

25 minutes ago, tscott said:

It's not that she "will", she did promote it as such!  She was clear in the promotional campaign, that she was first inspired by local artists in Lisbon, and then it kept growing as she started working with more artists and producers, so she considers the album a "world sound". 

So that's just ONE song you personally take issue with.  But those quoted lyrics are actually cleverly written.  They make a profound statement regarding social and world issues.  Still, even if we agreed that this song is juvenile, there are other songs like "Dark Ballet", "God Control", "Batuka", "Looking for Mercy" and "I Rise" which are very well written and hardly "juvenile".  But then again, a great song doesn't have to have profound and mature lyrics to be great.  Some of her most iconic songs are just fun pop songs, that don't necessarily have a lot of profound lyrics. 

I believe my choice of the word 'will' is dialectical here :)

It is not the only one, but it is the one that I can't get over with :) (Even Hey You is better than that song).

I agree with you on Batuka, I Rise, and God Control. Batuka is a well-done song, something new to the pop genre. Dark Ballet is an interesting song with experimental quality, which I really appreciate, but it still falls short lyrically (to me). God Control is sonically great! The intro of God Control is brilliant!!!, but I think the rest does kinda take away from its quality. 

On 2/18/2023 at 3:28 PM, Openyourheart said:

In my opinion Madame X at least had more artistic merit. I really like Crazy and God Control and think they're very catchy. Hard Candy is an overlong forgettable blur to me but I can see the guilty pleasure argument

I agree with you on this... I love Madame X and it has some songs I always go back to like Crave, Crazy or Faz Gostoso. Hard Candy is her weakest album for me... it just doesn't have the "Madonna sound" for me but the typical Timbaland/JT/Pharrell sound which nowadays sounds even more dated than her older stuff and let's not even start with the lyrics...

Hard Candy is more  "Madonna sound"  than Confessions that is the one she was far from herself and serving the audience.  I call it Madonna Minogue, and really, even  Let it will be  instrumental seems  a copy of Fever. 

HC is not dated Timbaland sound, it's the exerzise of taking that style, completely trendy at the time, and give a pop masterclass, being so much more creative and with so much more quality than all that other younger things.  Why don't people call it like it is and just say they don't like that sound, that's maybe too black and agressive for their poppy taste?

I love all her Albums. And of course I have my favorites and my least listened to albums. But I hate Confessions fans and those who prefer the Rebel Heart demoes to the released version. I hate them intensely. So much so that I wish we would start a new topic, ‘Which fan is the Worst?’ Thank you.

Edited by Miki (see edit history)

On 8/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, baymad4her said:

Madame X - For me the worst album by far and the only album from Madonna I will never buy or want to hear again, I'm totally baffled by this era.

Hard Candy - This is when Madonna started following trends instead of making them.

American Life - Boring album but made better only when listening to the official remixes.

These are just my opinions, what is your Worst Madonna Albums?

I actually loved Madame X, i dont really dislike any of her albums, but one that bores me a bit is bedtime stories

• 9 months later...