Sign in to follow this  
Voguerista

'Looking For Mercy' vs 'I Rise'?

The two ending ballads on Madame X, which is your favorite?

Both are amazing, but I have to go with "I Rise". I loved it right from the first listen(and dedicated it to my sister). So full of heart for rising above hardship, the impossible, and injustice. I can't wait to see what Madonna does with it on tour. 

Edited by Voguerista

I used to love Mercy, it was my fave. But now it grates on me how looooong it goes on for and for me it ruins the later part of the album. It’s irritating how many times she repeats the fact that she’s looking for bloody mercy. We get it!!! 

2 hours ago, Kieran said:

I used to love Mercy, it was my fave. But now it grates on me how looooong it goes on for and for me it ruins the later part of the album. It’s irritating how many times she repeats the fact that she’s looking for bloody mercy. We get it!!! 

I think it would greatly benefit from a bridge, instead of going straight from the 2nd chorus... to the 3rd chorus.

"I Rise" is so pedestrian, and it's super annoying that it's the only one to get a physical single release, on top of a Remix 12'' being released in a couple of months. It sucks that Madonna likes that song so much, she has the worst taste in her own music. "Looking for Mercy" is universally beautiful and relatable, and much more empowering that "I Rise", it's about finding strength while suffering and admitting you need help and compassion sometimes. "I Rise" should be an antidote, sort of like "I can make it alone", but it's just so bleh. I skip it most of the time. Not to mention Emma Gonzalez being a little twit to Madonna, despite being sampled on the track. 

Wow, you all seem to love Mercy. The chorus is so boring to me ! The song has no groove at all.

Lord found mercy not to put it in her show.

I chose I Rise even though I'm not fond of it...

Always skip those 2 ! IDSIF would have been a perfect closer.

Looking For Mercy is one of the few songs to have decent vocals not being pitched or hidden with manipulations. The verses are sublime but the song builds but goes nowhere aside from repeating the title. You almost expect a high note, a very tender or dynamic moment but it doesn't happen. I do like it but feels it needed an extra punch to stand out among her other ballads.

I Rise is alright. I play it from time to time but it isn't one of my favorites unless picturing the video of her twirling.