THAT KISS!

into the erotico

It was pretty cheap to use homosexuality to get attention, but it did give her a lot of publicity....especially as sales of American Life weren't going that great. What I always found so amusing was that the media didn't really care that she also kissed Aguilera, but that image didn't make it to any of the magazine covers

Indeed, that was a clever move to create a buzz, especially when AMERICAN LIFE was not going that well in the US.

I must say I liked the KISSES idea. I love Britney but I love Xtina too. And I was very disappointed that we had to see Justin Timberlake face when Madonna kissed Xtina. Of course, Britney was seeing as virgin and nice little blond girl while Xtina was playing Dirrrty. So the two kisses are very different, but still, Xtina deserved her moment to shine as well.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2019 at 5:59 AM, PWCCA said:

It was pretty cheap to use homosexuality to get attention, but it did give her a lot of publicity....especially as sales of American Life weren't going that great. What I always found so amusing was that the media didn't really care that she also kissed Aguilera, but that image didn't make it to any of the magazine covers

I imagine it's all because Britney was the "it" girl at the time.  She was compared more to Madonna than Christina.  I'm not sure I agree she was using homosexuality here.  I think it's just something built within her that kissing a guy or a girl is 1st nature to her.  I'm sure she knew it would stir the pot.  Unfortunately, I am not sure it really did much for Madonna or Britney's musical output at the time.  Like you, I find it interesting people ignored her kissing Aguilera, but as I mentioned I think it's because Britney has been compared to Madonna and at one time considered the "next Madonna". 

Aside from the intro, the kiss, I feel the performance fell apart after that and was a mismatch of different things. The idea was cute but the execution was a bit clunky. The moment she rose and the whole room stood. The respect and true icon she is.

The controversy definitely between the Queen and the Pop Princess because it rattled a lot of people and two of the biggest names of their time doing this and the eventual collab was a huge promo opportunities. I didn't like how the cameras focused on Justin (of course, let's milk the breakup) and paid Christina dust. No wonder she went trashing Madonna and Britney not too long after this where Britney rightfully called her out for being a hypocrite. She also wouldn't sign off on the studio mix so they tacked on the live version on Remixed and Revisited.