Unpopular Madonna Opinions

RinoTheBouncer

* Except 'Beautiful Stranger' her collaboration with William Orbit only works when his producing others composers' work.
* Jellybean, Stephen Bray and Shep Pettibone are just as important collaborators in her portfolio as is Patrick Leonard.
* Other than 'Like a Virgin' and 'Material Girl' her 85 boom to superstardom was only achieved because of outiside material as 'Into the Groove' and 'Crazy for You'.

* A) She should have hired Jellybean and Stephen Bray to work on 'Like a Virgin'. B)  Her work with them around that time (ITG, CFY, Gambler and Sidewalk Talk) aged better than what's on the album.
* I Rise is the worst choice ever for ending a show.

* Kevin Antunes is the worst thing that happened to her tours.

My unpopular opinions:

-I actually like most of her movies and I don't think her acting is *that* bad all the time. She deserved an Oscar nomination for Evita.

-I love the song Little Star.

-Hard Candy isn't that bad.

-Bedtime Stories is one of her best albums. Secret is one of her best music videos.

-Like A Prayer's title track is great, but the rest of the album is :Madonna021:

-I LOVE her children's books. They were a big part of my childhood and my introduction to Madonna.

-The 90's and 2000's were her best decades artistically. I don't listen to her 80's music very much, although I do have a few songs that I really like.

-She is always beautiful! There may be some looks of hers that others don't like, but I basically love and appreciate them all.

*Masterpiece is the most overrated song ever; bland and boring.

*Time Stood Still and Looking For Mercy are overrated: they are just pretentious, mediocre ballads.

*Love Spent is unlistenable and Falling Free is soporific.

*Rebel Heart is as bad as MDNA.

*Hung Up is one of her best videos.

*Drowned World Tour, Girlie Show and Confessions Tour are better than Blond Ambition Tour.

*True Blue and The First Album are better than Like A Prayer.

*I Deserve It and Nobody's Perfect are great.

*Deeper And Deeper, Jump, I'll Remember and Get Together are among Madonna's best tracks, even though the videos are forgettable.

*Angel, Dress You Up, Gambler and The Look of Love are as great as the most celebrated singles of the '80.

*Rescue Me, Spanish Eyes, Human Nature and Keep It Together are just ok songs.

*Girl Gone Wild's video is garbage, and the song isn't exactly a masterpiece...

*Erotica, Music and Confessions are better than Ray of Light.

*Ray Of Light is a great album, but I skip several tracks.

*With the obvious exception of Vogue, I'm Breathless is just a rushed, forgettable album... in fact, it's a collection of irritating, frivolous songs. 

*The album version of What It Feels Like For A Girl is one of her best tracks of the '00, sonically and lirically, whereas the remix and the video are garbage.

*Hard Candy is a good album: granted, the cover is trash and some tracks sound way too similar to Timbaland's previous work, but Pharrell's production is often great (Beat Goes On, She's Not Me, Give It 2 Me).

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)

Nice stuff everyone. Keep them coming.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I feel like the material we've been seeing, official and unofficially, from Madame X Tour makes it look pretty underwhelming, which sort of explains why they had a phone ban. Also, the polaroid thing is very very humiliating to fans and to her own image. In addition, and I don't think this is unpopular, but her Instagram is a mess, most of her photos are unprofessional and pretty random or low quality and lack style. I wish she had a social media manager like that of Selena Gomez where every photo feels like a photoshoot from a magazine.

I appreciate the Confessions tour now but I still have lingering feelings of dislike for it that remain because of how dull and cold the back end of that whole era was in 2006/07.

Physical Attraction goes on way too long.

I hate her constant lack of appreciation for her back catalog.

Edited by PNutButter (see edit history)

OMG this is sooo fucking fun. Let's see;

ROL is corny

True blue is her worst-produced whereas "Madonna" is her best

Like a virgin is my fave album

Like a prayer launched her foray into pretentiousness

I'm breathless is a bore

Bedtime stories is her best, Erotica comes close

Music lacks a concept and cohesiveness

MDNA is mediocre

American life is depressing and morbid. Almost funereal

COAD is hugely overrated

Her Evita vocals are weak

Drowned World is her best tour

Her stubborness when it comes to let go of a certain look (grillz for example) is irritating

On 9/28/2019 at 6:37 AM, RinoTheBouncer said:

In addition, and I don't think this is unpopular, but her Instagram is a mess, most of her photos are unprofessional and pretty random or low quality and lack style. I wish she had a social media manager like that of Selena Gomez where every photo feels like a photoshoot from a magazine.

My unpopular opinion regarding this matter is that *maybe* she really doesn't care about looking like a professional model on her IG. Maybe it's the only way she thinks she can be perceived as a 'normal' human being who is not afraid to show her flaws to the public. She's said something along those lines in a couple of interviews... the number of followers/likes you have or the constant validation thing is ridiculous

I agree there has been a lot of unflattering pictures over the years... but is it THAT terrible? They made me laugh more than anything :lol:

174259.jpg

article-2400955-1B60FA70000005DC-680_634

1_Madonna.jpg

Confessions on a dance floor isn't in her top 5 best albums.

Looking for mercy is the most uninteresting song on Madame X and should have been a deluxe edition exclusive.

Funana, Back that up to the beat and Ciao bella are absolute shit

Hard candy isn't as bad as people say it is

Rebel heart would have been one of the very best albums of her career had she cut half the songs

I don't want her to make another song/performance about sex ever again (it's not because she is old, it's just really getting repetitive)

True blue has some great singles, but the rest of the album is trash (LAV has better album tracks)

Love song is a terrible song

Bedtime stories is boring (except for a few songs).

Take a bow and Bye bye baby are the worst singles of her career. Give me all your luvin is terrible but at least it's catchy

She would have been more popular/relevant had she put more effort into MDNA (people completely lost interest after that) and had she tried to release more non-album singles (like Die another day). Her decline in popularity is 50% due to ageism and 50% due to her inability to adapt to the new music industry

She used to be far better-skilled at songwriting than she is now

Human nature is one of her best songs ever

I love seeing Candy shop on her tours. She always makes it entertaining it was the highlight of the MDNA tour. The album version is a bop too.

The Madame X tour looks like one of the best shows of her career

I'm kinda tired of Like a prayer live

Revolver would have been a hit had she made a badass video for it and promoted it at some award shows, too bad she didn't care (see my point above about how she has caused her own decline)

Till death do us part should have been a single instead of Dear Jessie

Considering how she has managed her career since she was "free" of Warner Bros, I'm glad Warner Bros didn't let her do whatever she wanted

2 hours ago, madgefan said:

My unpopular opinion regarding this matter is that *maybe* she really doesn't care about looking like a professional model on her IG. Maybe it's the only way she thinks she can be perceived as a 'normal' human being who is not afraid to show her flaws to the public. She's said something along those lines in a couple of interviews... the number of followers/likes you have or the constant validation thing is ridiculous

I agree there has been a lot of unflattering pictures over the years... but is it THAT terrible? They made me laugh more than anything :lol:

174259.jpg

1_Madonna.jpg

I don’t see it as “terrible terrible” And I get her point of wanting to be open and real, but Instagram and social media can be a great marketing tool if used right. Sometimes making posts a bit more rare and professional can actually hype people to keep coming in and liking and following, which ultimately can translate to sales or headlines.

It’s not just social media but her management seems to miss out on a lot of opportunities to create something outstanding, whether it’s a more presentable website or better single artworks with some actual talent or doing throwbacks on her past albums anniversaries, making special releases for them, or not spoiling the outfit for every performance on Instagram before she does it. 

The lyrics of Madonna’s recent tracks feels a bit too primitive at times. It’s almost like there’s no in between, either a lyrical masterpiece like Falling Free or a cringeworthy on-the-nose message with primitive words like Future.

I’m not a fan of her constant referencing her past songs like “don’t tell me to stop cause you said so”, “I’m down on my knees” and “I say a little prayer”. It was fun in Rebel Heart album, but doing this again on Madame X is just... No.

MDNA Tour is her best tour since Confessions, and Confessions is her absolute best followed by Re-Invention, Sticky & Sweet, Drowned World and Rebel Heart Tours. They’re all better than the overrated Blond Ambition Tour.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:27 PM, madgefan said:

174259.jpg

1_Madonna.jpg

I don't think she cares either.   Personally, there are some pics (if I was her) I wouldn't have post, but I am not sure she's taking it so seriously.  We know she prefers Instagram as a way to communicate with her fans.  To me, it makes sense being she's such a visual artist.  I think she just has fun with it. 

I perfer her pre-Evita live vocals... it was in tune at least. She has better color now, but when live she's all around the place.

I never liked her Like a Virgin album. (Dress you up is the only song I can listen from it)

Her Confessions and MDNA tourbooks are dreadfull

I never liked Despreakly seeking susan or Snake eyes... everything else was entertaining and Who's that girl is the movie I watched the most time...

Never got the fans opsession with Gang bang from MDNA... its borring and blah.. to me at least

10 minutes ago, Adrian said:

I perfer her pre-Evita live vocals... it was in tune at least. She has better color now, but when live she's all around the place.

I never liked her Like a Virgin album. (Dress you up is the only song I can listen from it)

Her Confessions and MDNA tourbooks are dreadfull

I never liked Despreakly seeking susan or Snake eyes... everything else was entertaining and Who's that girl is the movie I watched the most time...

Never got the fans opsession with Gang bang from MDNA... its borring and blah.. to me at least

like a virgin is her worst album , thank god she reworks like a virgin on tours .

On 9/25/2019 at 7:20 AM, diesel6888 said:

From what I hear on the recording, the chorus is so backing tracking tracked to give her vocal weight and the verses are live but the autotune is working overtime! It's okay but would hate to hear it without the autotune

she sings it well live though on tour there is a version of it and she did it some justice ...

Her last great album was Confessions. Although Hard Candy had some good songs I enjoyed but Confessions is the last album I could listen to the whole way.

I find MDNA, Rebel Heart and Madame X a bore. Maybe 3 - 5 Songs (5 is being very generous) I like in each of those albums.

I liked the movie "Who's That Girl".

I liked the remixed versions of Like A Prayer and Express Yourself on the Immaculate Collection way better than the original album versions.

I Think Drowned World Tour is her most boring Tour and I think Madame X Tour is a close Second (based on the set list. I don't like Madame X album much).

Ray Of Light is an okay album. I much prefer Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Confessions and the first album.

I quite enjoy Breathless album...Except for the Bananas song....I loathe it!

I dislike the fact that she has to keep up with the trends. You know, adding rappers of today like swae lee, the guy from the Migo's and among other ways she's trying to keep up ... Its like she's trying to hard to stay relevant when she really doesn't need to. Before she was the one who set the trends now it seems like she's just following and not setting her own trends.

She has made me dislike Like A Prayer (even thought I still like the I.C. version but I have not listened to it in a while) and Isla Bonita. She does it to death.

Evita was a bore. She just should have Toured "Bedtime Stories" album instead of doing that movie.

I liked her vocals before she trained for Evita.

Don't kill me or take offense. These are just my opinions.

11 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

I prefer Body Of Evidence to Evita.

8 hours ago, PWCCA said:

Me too

4 hours ago, Loni1082 said:

Evita was a bore. She just should have Toured "Bedtime Stories" album instead of doing that movie.

kill myself the mindy project GIF

Sorry, but I am such an Evita fan!

Saw it 4 times in a row on the day it came out!

Maybe my position is unpopular :laughing:

I love Candy Shop and Spanish Lesson.

I think To Have And Not To Hold is one of the best Ray Of Light tracks and I find Skin to be overrated.

I love I Deserve It and I think it is the best song on Music.

In my humble opinion I'm So Stupid is a piece of art whereas I think Easy Ride is a bit overrated.

For me the best remix of Rescue Me is the Lifeboat Vocal Mix and the best Ray Of Light Remix is the Ultra Violet Mix by William Orbit, not the one by Sasha.

I love Hard Candy, I think it's an amazing album.

I have lots of love for Get Stupid, especially the Steven Klein studio version. I would love an extended version of the song:

And last but not least Madonna's look at the 2013 Met Gala. Punk Queen Madonna was the best ever!