Unpopular Madonna Opinions

RinoTheBouncer

Some unpopular opinions that differ from majority of fans...

I like the film Shanghai Surprise and feel it's one of her better acting roles. She looks stunning in it and the chemistry between her and Sean Penn is very genuine.  I also really love Body of Evidence and The Next Best Thing even though her acting wasn't the best in those films.  Lastly, I would love to see her do more films as an actor.  

I'm usually not a fan of album fan favorite tracks like "Skin", "Addicted" (MDNA), "Impressive Instant", and "I Don't Search, I Find",

Hard Candy is her last pure fun album.  (Not to say, she doesn't have fun tracks on her follow up albums, but as a whole I feel Hard Candy is her last fun album).

MDNA is a pretty solid album.  When I revisit it, I forget how nice it is, even though the production on some of the songs bury her vocals.

"Sodade" is her best LIVE vocal delivery on the Madame X Tour. 

14 hours ago, into the erotico said:

'MDNA isn't anywhere near as bad as some fans make it out to be.' - OH! Yes, it is

I enjoyed alot of tracks from it. GGW, I'm Addicted, Gang Bang, Turn Up the Radio, Superstar, I'm a Sinner, Love Spent, Masterpiece, Falling Free, Beautiful Killer, I Fucked Up, B-Day Song, Best Friend. It's not "great", but it's a really fun, catchy album.

9 hours ago, Nippi said:

I enjoyed alot of tracks from it. GGW, I'm Addicted, Gang Bang, Turn Up the Radio, Superstar, I'm a Sinner, Love Spent, Masterpiece, Falling Free, Beautiful Killer, I Fucked Up, B-Day Song, Best Friend. It's not "great", but it's a really fun, catchy album.

rather mediocre to me for a Madonna album

Guy Ritchie was the worse thing that happened to Madonna. 

I seriously believe she's naturally compatible with latin men as lovers and they suit her visually as well. 

If Ritchie wasn't around I feel American Life and Confessions On A Dancefloor would have been to the same calibre of Ray of Light. She would have been eating up the new sounds unashamedly and collaborating with more edgy producers, songwriter and musicians. Yet marriage to Ritchie and motherhood with Rocco put so many restraints on her. 

Blonde Ambition was a ground breaking tour and her performance of songs like Express Yourself, Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer, Holiday on the tour are iconic, yet the Girlie Show was her most originally creative tour and hasn't been beaten yet. 

Madonna's indie films of the 90's are underrated. Seriously there are some M gems in the 90's era and Bedtime Stories was let down by the album graphics. That's one album cover where an 90's indie graphic designer and photographer could have pulled off an iconic covers for the Bedtime Stories album and  the singles. Instead we got a half baked result which was a let down.

There  needs to be a re-issue of the Erotica and Sex Book in a box set with the original uncensored cover idea for Erotica. 

On 9/26/2019 at 1:51 AM, Synchrone said:

I love Hard Candy

Dance 2Night should have been a single with remixes

I really don’t like a lot of her posts with her kids in it

WOW = SOMEONE ELSE ! :lord:

Someone called 'Madonna' went down a peg when She announced her next record would be, "ALL Hits, no Filler !"
OK
It was called 'Like A Virgin'.
I beg your puddin' love but there's 'filler' on it.
'Dance 2night' is A HIT.
Like the above it was written to be one.
"They'd already sung on one single !".....was the best reason I found for it not being A Single.
Comprende ?

'Sing Wingy' is genius.

2 hours ago, PWCCA said:

It's brilliant! And it is the last time we saw a full LIVE show. I have always adored it

It's not my favourite tour, yet it's fun and a totally 80's rock concert. 

I'm amazed none of the drag queens on Rupaul's Drag Race didn't copy the kitsch bustier corset she wore for the Dress You Up-Material Girl-Like A Virgin medley from that tour. 

Edited by Ashley (see edit history)

On 10/11/2019 at 8:23 PM, PWCCA said:

It's brilliant! And it is the last time we saw a full LIVE show. I have always adored it

Who's That Girl? was the only truly live show she ever did. She actually had backing tracks for The Virgin Tour. Every review I ever read, and I have read at least one or more for each city she performed in, pretty much said the same thing "Is it live or is it Memorex" a popular add slogan for casette tapes. They felt she was using backing tracks, as in certain points her voice sounded too good when she was dancing.

Her management had to respond eventually and admitted she did use backing tracks to help fill her voice out.

I believe as a result no backing tracks were used at all on Who's That Girl and it may have been why we got three backing singers instead.

4 hours ago, me1981 said:

Who's That Girl? was the only truly live show she ever did. She actually had backing tracks for The Virgin Tour. Every review I ever read, and I have read at least one or more for each city she performed in, pretty much said the same thing "Is it live or is it Memorex" a popular add slogan for casette tapes. They felt she was using backing tracks, as in certain points her voice sounded too good when she was dancing.

Her management had to respond eventually and admitted she did use backing tracks to help fill her voice out.

I believe as a result no backing tracks were used at all on Who's That Girl and it may have been why we got three backing singers instead.

She used backing tracks on all her tour, even WTG.  As you stated, they were used to help fill out her voice.  Though, it wasn't so evident until her more recent tours how much she started relying on them more and more.  Some tours they seemed to work perfectly like Virgin tour because she was very much singing live.  The Confession Tours, we know she used backing tracks heavily, but the way it was mixed in, I must say it worked beautifully in her favor, unlike some of the songs from Sticky and Sweet and most especially with MDNA Tour.  In many cases, in the last decade, it seemed she purposely re-recorded most songs to sound more live and sung over those tracks.  In some instances, it worked well like with Confessions Tour. 

Much of Girlie Show was live as well, but she certainly relied on backing tracks.  Vogue and Erotica were definitely very noticeable. 

7 hours ago, Mark Collins said:

She used backing tracks on all her tour, even WTG.  As you stated, they were used to help fill out her voice.  Though, it wasn't so evident until her more recent tours how much she started relying on them more and more.  Some tours they seemed to work perfectly like Virgin tour because she was very much singing live.  The Confession Tours, we know she used backing tracks heavily, but the way it was mixed in, I must say it worked beautifully in her favor, unlike some of the songs from Sticky and Sweet and most especially with MDNA Tour.  In many cases, in the last decade, it seemed she purposely re-recorded most songs to sound more live and sung over those tracks.  In some instances, it worked well like with Confessions Tour. 

Much of Girlie Show was live as well, but she certainly relied on backing tracks.  Vogue and Erotica were definitely very noticeable. 

I have to say I don't hear them at all on WTG, but yeah I guess they did a good job of mixing them in. All other tours it is pretty obvious. Although Confessions was done really well, I mean you could sometimes really tell, like Sorry, but generally it was never distracting or blatant.

Probably The Blonde Ambition and The Re-Invention Tour DVD's will be released posthumously as well as most of the unreleased tracks.

Speaking of which, many unrealeased songs and demo versions are way better than entire albums.

At first I kinda hated Madame X and found it messy. I used to despise Batuka and Crazy. Now they are among my favorites, but I still can't stand Faz Gostoso, Looking For Mercy, Bitch I'm Loca, Future and Come Alive. I skip those most of times.

I'm afraid that, at some point, she may be forced to postpone/cancel the tour due to a surgery to fix that knee injury. (God forbid it! Especially before the show I'll be attending in Lisbon). ?

I hope that one day she hits the road with a greatest hits tour, singing the studio versions without ruining her classics with dreadful remixes. 

She should also have an "MTV-unplugged-like" show/live album performing some underrated songs such as "I'll Remember", "The Power of Good Bye", "You'll See","Bad Girl", "Joan of Arc"- just to name a few.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:27 PM, Vinny Fonseca said:

Probably The Blonde Ambition and The Re-Invention Tour DVD's will be released posthumously as well as most of the unreleased tracks.

Speaking of which, many unrealeased songs and demo versions are way better than entire albums.

At first I kinda hated Madame X and found it messy. I used to despise Batuka and Crazy. Now they are among my favorites, but I still can't stand Faz Gostoso, Looking For Mercy, Bitch I'm Loca, Future and Come Alive. I skip those most of times.

I'm afraid that, at some point, she may be forced to postpone/cancel the tour due to a surgery to fix that knee injury. (God forbid it! Especially before the show I'll be attending in Lisbon). ?

I hope that one day she hits the road with a greatest hits tour, singing the studio versions without ruining her classics with dreadful remixes. 

She should also have an "MTV-unplugged-like" show/live album performing some underrated songs such as "I'll Remember", "The Power of Good Bye", "You'll See","Bad Girl", "Joan of Arc"- just to name a few.

Someone posted on here that some songs like Bad Girl etc... she could never or cannot sing anymore.  

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like most of Madonna’s classic hits they she performs often, are overrated. Yes they’re wonderful songs, they put her on the map, they are the reason that she’s popular and they were revolutionary in their time, but I find her album tracks or the more recent songs to be way more appealing. Maybe I just got used to listening to the oldies that I got bored of them, but I’d take ROL, AL, COADF, RH, MDNA and MX songs, especially the ballads and album tracks, over Vogue, Holiday and Express Yourself any day. 

2 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I feel like most of Madonna’s classic hits they she performs often, are overrated. Yes they’re wonderful songs, they put her on the map, they are the reason that she’s popular and they were revolutionary in their time, but I find her album tracks or the more recent songs to be way more appealing. Maybe I just got used to listening to the oldies that I got bored of them, but I’d take ROL, AL, COADF, RH, MDNA and MX songs, especially the ballads and album tracks, over Vogue, Holiday and Express Yourself any day. 

Same. Like to hear people with their dream setlists and it consists of songs she's done many times over the last few tours. I'd rather hear songs that haven't been performed in years or ever on a touring stage.

Imagine my excitement hearing Take a Bow, True Blue, Deeper and Deeper, Love Spent etc.

Mine is I find Confessions extremely overrated when people say it's her last great record and when people ask for a part 2 of it. To me, it's fun similar to "Light Years" and "Fever" from Kylie with great singles, visuals etc but the album itself is rather damage control by the previous era. Sure, it gave Madonna commercial success but to categorize it as better as the albums that came before it, sigh.

It seems most of the GP wants her to do another Confessions while I could do without it. It's a record that got me into Madonna but as a whole, I hardly revisit it bar a few tracks. Always preferred her challenging stuff as opposed to her fun, escapism records.

10 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Mine is I find Confessions extremely overrated when people say it's her last great record and when people ask for a part 2 of it. To me, it's fun similar to "Light Years" and "Fever" from Kylie with great singles, visuals etc but the album itself is rather damage control by the previous era. Sure, it gave Madonna commercial success but to categorize it as better as the albums that came before it, sigh.

It seems most of the GP wants her to do another Confessions while I could do without it. It's a record that got me into Madonna but as a whole, I hardly revisit it bar a few tracks. Always preferred her challenging stuff as opposed to her fun, escapism records.

While I agree to a point, but in a way it was "her last great record" commercially.  From there, it has gone down hill, and that is why I think people think of it as "her last great record."   But to me, commercial success doesn't measure a great album.  I love Rebel Heart so  much. I feel that is a great record too.  Hard Candy is another fun record, but still none of them seem to have that something extra special that Confessions seemed to have.  There is something about a number of her albums that really make them shine more than others.  I feel the same with albums like Ray of Light and Like A Prayer.   They all definitely mark a time that she really went all out and put her heart and soul into.  Not to say, she hasn't on other albums, but you can really feel the passion, the messages and love poured into them.  You can really listen to those albums from start to finish and still be "wowed" by it all.  Also, if you think about it, those three albums really made a huge impact among her fan base and gaining new fans.  I've yet to have that sort of feeling for her albums since Confessions.