Unpopular Madonna Opinions

RinoTheBouncer

On 9/26/2019 at 8:51 AM, Synchrone said:

Dance 2Night should have been a single with remixes

Totally. I'm not a HC fan, yet this song is beautiful and totally radio friendly. 

13 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Mine is I find Confessions extremely overrated when people say it's her last great record and when people ask for a part 2 of it. To me, it's fun similar to "Light Years" and "Fever" from Kylie with great singles, visuals etc but the album itself is rather damage control by the previous era. Sure, it gave Madonna commercial success but to categorize it as better as the albums that came before it, sigh.

Fever was a similar thing. Kylie's career was going to seriously end if Light Years wasn't a success and Fever was produced to capitalise on the momentum of Light Years. It was deliberately a no filler album with every song considered a potential single and radio friendly. 

The thing is though, that it became the quintessential Kylie album. 

And that's what COADF is not. It's a up beat M album which was marketable. Yet definitely not a M classic by any standard. 

On 11/5/2019 at 5:16 PM, Ashley Nichols said:

Fever was a similar thing. Kylie's career was going to seriously end if Light Years wasn't a success and Fever was produced to capitalise on the momentum of Light Years. It was deliberately a no filler album with every song considered a potential single and radio friendly. 

The thing is though, that it became the quintessential Kylie album. 

And that's what COADF is not. It's a up beat M album which was marketable. Yet definitely not a M classic by any standard. 

That's sad because I find Impossible Princess her best work. After that, I felt she was okay with making catchy but disposable pop music. The songs are all very much alike minus genre differences regurgitated in a different package. I like the direction Kylie was going but she just went back to the dance she never moved away from afterwards.

You definitely do get that from Fever indeed. Every song feels tailored made for radio play.

7 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

That's sad because I find Impossible Princess her best work. After that, I felt she was okay with making catchy but disposable pop music. The songs are all very much alike minus genre differences regurgitated in a different package. I like the direction Kylie was going but she just went back to the dance she never moved away from afterwards.

You definitely do get that from Fever indeed. Every song feels tailored made for radio play.

Impossible Princess is absolutely her best album. 

Here in Australia Kylie earned some serious street cred with Impossible Princess. Still to this day I hear people who aren't into Kylie yet love Impossible Princess. The only thing is that the album was too mature lyrically and sound too indie for mainstream at the time. 

Yet Kylie's broader fan base really want a pop princess and that appeals to mainstream as well. That's why she'll never record another Impossible Princess type album. 

• 9 months later...

Ok here I go: 

- Drowned World Tour was his best tour 

- Frozen is his best song and it is also his best music video

- Killers Who Are Partying deserved to be a Madame X single

- I would consider Madame X as your second best album only behind Ray Of Light

- His performance in Eurovision is one of my favorites

- Girl Gone Wild deserved to be MDNA's first single 

- I can't stand Dear Jessie, instead I would have preferred Madonna to release Pray For Spanish Eyes as a Like A Prayer's single  

- His best vocal pass was on the Drowned World Tour

- I would not consider the Vogue video as the best of his career, in my opinion the music video for Frozen surpasses it.

The Geisha act of the Drowned World Tour is the best act of her career 

I don't like his more "sexual" jobs very much, for that reason I don't really like everything related to the Erotica era.

Madonna instead of singing Like A Prayer in Eurovision better would have interpreted Isaac, since as the Contest was held in Israel, he could have done a small tribute with that song 

On 10/5/2019 at 3:03 AM, Nippi said:

MDNA isn't anywhere near as bad as some fans make it out to be.

MX is her worst album.

I thought it couldn’t get worse than Hard Candy. Then MDNA happened. Then I thought it couldn’t get worse than MDNA, and Madame X happened. I was not crazy about Rebel Heart either. Each album has one or two songs that I like. But most of it was „meh“ to me. 
I skip most songs on Madame X, I only listen to maybe 3.

Mine:

MDNA is one of her best albums. 

Many remixes are superior to the album versions. 

Bedtime stories (not the single "Bedtime Story") is one of her most boring album, nice album but boring.

Like A Prayer is not her best song.

Shep Pettibone brought out the best in her.

Leave Warner was the worst mistake in her career.

I only love her music and personality, I don't wanna know anything about her marriages, children, friendships, beliefs, partys, boyfriends, interviews, Instagram post, etc, etc, etc.

Best thread ever! Always wanted to share!

For starters....

-RAY OF LIGHT (THE ALBUM) IS OVERRATED! Yeah I said it! And I'm not sorry! I like the record and understand its appeal, but I think her "masterpiece" is Like a Prayer!

-MDNA, Hard Candy, and Like a Virgin are her WORST ALBUMS. (LAV doesn't really stand out as an album to me)

-Her peformance of "Bedtime Story" at the 1995 BRIT awards is her best peformance ever

-HER GRILLS ARE DISGUSTING

-Giving up singing lessons was one of the worst mistakes she ever made which also brings me to....

HER HORRIFIC SOCIAL MEDIA!!!

22 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

Agree; for instance, I fuc*ing love NOBODY'S PERFECT.

AMEN! 

16 hours ago, Juan Moncada said:

Ok here I go: 

- Drowned World Tour was his best tour 

- Frozen is his best song and it is also his best music video

- Killers Who Are Partying deserved to be a Madame X single

- His performance in Eurovision is one of my favorites

- Girl Gone Wild deserved to be MDNA's first single 

- His best vocal pass was on the Drowned World Tour

- I would not consider the Vogue video as the best of his career, in my opinion the music video for Frozen surpasses it.

The Geisha act of the Drowned World Tour is the best act of her career 

Madonna instead of singing Like A Prayer in Eurovision better would have interpreted Isaac, since as the Contest was held in Israel, he could have done a small tribute with that song 

Agreed with those. Vogue was great but it’s by no means her best and same for Blond Ambition tour. It may be her first massive explosive hit but she definitely surpassed all that. 

4 hours ago, John Wayne said:

Blond Ambition Tour is good, but overrated

Agreed!

4 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Mine:

MDNA is one of her best albums. .

Like A Prayer is not her best song.

Shep Pettibone brought out the best in her.

Leave Warner was the worst mistake in her career.

I only love her music and personality, I don't wanna know anything about her marriages, children, friendships, beliefs, partys, boyfriends, interviews, Instagram post, etc, etc, etc.

Agreed ??

The last two points, especially. Leaving Warner did her no good. Her image is getting worse each day and her career is getting forgotten, not to mention the terrible marketing and single choices.

As for social media, it’s her most self-destructive strategy after her horrendous management. She needs to erase all her posts and have a professional handle her Insta with valuable posts consisting of new professional shots and content that will make following her worthwhile.

3 hours ago, Team Madonna said:

Best thread ever! Always wanted to share!

-Giving up singing lessons was one of the worst mistakes she ever made which also brings me to....

HER HORRIFIC SOCIAL MEDIA!!!

Thank you. Glad you’re enjoy it! 
Agreed with this point ^^

5 hours ago, Team Madonna said:

-RAY OF LIGHT (THE ALBUM) IS OVERRATED! Yeah I said it! And I'm not sorry! I like the record and understand its appeal, but I think her "masterpiece" is Like a Prayer!

I don't think it's overrated, just overhyped: some fans and non-fans act as if Ray of Light was her last great album, or even her only great work.

And I have to disagree; while it's a great album per se, it's not her best; way too many boring songs... 

This is an unpopular opinion here, but I like her Instagram. I think it shows her personality and uniqueness, whether you agree with it or not. I would hate for it to become bland and perfect like Beyoncé’s. I guess someone doesn’t have to be perfect for me to like them. I find flaws are what makes someone human and interesting. 
I don’t think her Instagram has the negative effect some people think. Most people don’t take social media things seriously. There’s a controversy for a few days and it’s forgotten. There are people who dislike her, Instagram or no Instagram. 
I hope she doesn’t change it into some kind of fake PR exercise. If she does, I wouldn’t follow her anymore, it would be boring. 
I’m confused how people can say they are interested in her personality, but they don’t care about interviews or her views, all that is part of her personality and what to me makes her fascinating. 

18 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

This is an unpopular opinion here, but I like her Instagram. I think it shows her personality and uniqueness, whether you agree with it or not. I would hate for it to become bland and perfect like Beyoncé’s. I guess someone doesn’t have to be perfect for me to like them. I find flaws are what makes someone human and interesting. 
I don’t think her Instagram has the negative effect some people think. Most people don’t take social media things seriously. There’s a controversy for a few days and it’s forgotten. There are people who dislike her, Instagram or no Instagram. 
I hope she doesn’t change it into some kind of fake PR exercise. If she does, I wouldn’t follow her anymore, it would be boring. 
I’m confused how people can say they are interested in her personality, but they don’t care about interviews or her views, all that is part of her personality and what to me makes her fascinating. 

Kinda agree with you. And also, let's not forget that we are kinda seeing 50% the person Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone there, living her life with their kids. 

16 hours ago, John Wayne said:

Kinda agree with you. And also, let's not forget that we are kinda seeing 50% the person Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone there, living her life with their kids. 

True. That’s why in general I think current pop stars are less interesting than ones from the 80s and 90s, even when I like their music. Current stars are afraid to post anything interesting or eccentric or show their true personality because they are afraid someone will be judgmental or offended and come after them, and their record sales will fall. 

• 3 weeks later...

- I never cared for Rain, Cherish, or Erotica (the song).

- The Sticky & Sweet Tour should never have existed. It was awful.

- Bedtime Stories is good, but one of her most overrated albums.

- Cheesy or not, I love her look from COAD!

- She's gotten really desperate in these past years to be "relevant" and "young" again.

- She's a greedy fuck.

- The Girlie Show is hugely underrated!

- I really like I Know It.

Madame X - Crazy, Come Alive, Faz Goszato, Bitch I'm Loca, Looking for Mercy -  forgettable filler material should have been replaced with stronger tracks Ciao Bella and Back That Up

Desperately Seeking Susan  - probably the best film she has appeared in and comes across as the most authentic role she has played 

Rescue Me should have been performed in full with a full gospel choir and closed the Madame X tour or been part of the end section  - it would have left the audience on such a high point

I hope for no more featured artists in her music - she does not need them and the music sounds better without them!

Hope she uses Donna and Niki again for background vocals on some tracks

Her best filmed and edited tour is Confessions

One of her best collaborators for her live shows was Stuart Price  - she sounded amazing on the tours he was involved with, the live arrangements were fantastic too

Get Together is one of her greatest tracks ever and underrated, it's up there with Into The Groove in terms of it being a call for the dancefloor  - which Madonna does better than anyone 

Confessions, Ray of Light and Erotica can never be overrated  - all so fantastic 

Immaculate Collection - Best hits compilation ever of any artist

Hard Candy is a great solid pop album but was unfairly compared to Confessions - almost any album coming after that one was up against it for how it would be viewed

Spanish Lesson and Incredible  - Should have been replaced by Across The Sky and either Animal, Infinity, The Bear Is So Crazy (So Neptunes sound)

If Hard Candy had been released prior to Confessions after American Life it would have done better

Some of her best vocals were on Time Stood Still and American Life

Would love her to work with Massive Attack again and love her to go back to the cooler electronic sound/path she was on from 1998-2005.  The electronic sound she used for MDNA and Rebel Heart was more EDM/Trap etc and did not work as well 

Am certain Madonna will bring at least one more watershed career defining brilliant album up there with her best studio albums - you can never write her off because she is so talented and when you get the best creative work from her - the music is phenomenally brilliant and is never less than good even on a bad day!

And agree with those who said leaving Warners was a huge mistake!!!! Totally killed her chart success by moving to a useless record label and think we ended up with less strong final albums for MDNA, Rebel Heart and to some extent Madame X as a result - but Madame X was an improvement on those 2

Just my opinions 

Some of my personal unpopular opinions:

I love Time stood still (I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion) 

I don't think that Candy Shop is that bad 

I really don't like Cherish...don't know, for me it sounds like "bubble gum pop"... Awfull

Bitch i'm Madonna made me become a fan in 2015 (it was the jimmy fallon performance, I just felt immediately in love with her provocative side... back then I didnt even know about Erotica, Dita, the Sex book lol )... OK I have to admit that since then I discovered her entire discography and better songs, but BIM was nevertheless my real first "M Moment" 

On 9/29/2020 at 2:52 AM, MDNA22 said:

Desperately Seeking Susan  - probably the best film she has appeared in and comes across as the most authentic role she has played 

I hope for no more featured artists in her music - she does not need them and the music sounds better without them!

Hope she uses Donna and Niki again for background vocals on some tracks

Confessions, Ray of Light and Erotica can never be overrated  - all so fantastic 

Immaculate Collection - Best hits compilation ever of any artist

Would love her to work with Massive Attack again and love her to go back to the cooler electronic sound/path she was on from 1998-2005.  The electronic sound she used for MDNA and Rebel Heart was more EDM/Trap etc and did not work as well 

Am certain Madonna will bring at least one more watershed career defining brilliant album up there with her best studio albums - you can never write her off because she is so talented and when you get the best creative work from her - the music is phenomenally brilliant and is never less than good even on a bad day!

And agree with those who said leaving Warners was a huge mistake!!!! Totally killed her chart success by moving to a useless record label and think we ended up with less strong final albums for MDNA, Rebel Heart and to some extent Madame X as a result

I don't think any of these would be regarded as 'unpopular opinions' lol

Oh boy, do I have some for you:

- Like a Virgin, True Blue, Like a Prayer & American Life are incredibly boring albums (only saved by the singles, basically)
- Re-Invention is hugely overrated and unoriginal, basically the lack of a DVD + a Doc is what left the fans so hung up on it (because it was a BAT scenario 2.0 which unfortunately drew a parallel between them both)
- Who's That Girl - the movie, the song and even the tour with the same name - are the most boring things of her career
- The First Album is a late-70s/early 80s-sounding pop masterpiece in the same tier of some of the best pop albums released today
- Confessions was not a divine inspiration moment, it was a total save done to bounce back from American Life and she doesn't even seem to like it that much. It's also one of the less Madonna-esque albums of hers and very superficial in lyrical content
- Like a Prayer (the song) is boring and overrated
- Bitch I'm Madonna is one of her best singles

Edited by Dito (see edit history)

- Blond Ambition while not planned to be that, in hindsight is essentially the Greatest Hits of the 80s tour with 12 of the 17 songs on the setlist being songs that were on the Immaculate Collection, one album cut, one single left off IC, and three Dick Tracy songs that took the spots of what could've been more hits or more LAP songs.

- On the subject of the Immaculate Collection, she should release a 30th Anniversary Edition for the fans. The original two LPs plus an additional third EP that has all the hits she couldn't get on it the first time (Dress You Up, Angel, True Blue, Who's That Girl, Causing a Commotion, Keep It Together).

- Had American Life done better, she probably wouldn't have relied on the back catalogue for Re-Invention.

- Low key she's copying Mariah's MC30. She could literally give two shits about streaming or her back catalogue, but as soon as Mariah starts uploading maxi-singles and the attention and acclaim is on her, Madonna starts uploading maxi-singles for some of her songs, and out of all the singles to release that are celebrating 20, 25, 30, 35 years this year, she chooses Hanky Panky? Give us Into the Groove, Keep It Together, Material Girl, hell even Angel!

- The screen footages of Blond Ambition US dates leaked on YouTube around the same time the whole Milk Bath COVID thing happened and I think she was the one responsible for leaking them. Kind of as a way to be like, "remember I did this." I mean how convenient is it that they show up when Madonna's getting dragged by the media?

Edited by Husam Elzien (see edit history)