Unpopular Madonna Opinions

RinoTheBouncer

23 hours ago, Andreo said:

As I've already said here, I never make negative comments in general, let alone on M's shows but... So many things are underwhelming about RHT...

This is what I meant, more or less: overall I find it good, but too many random and messy choices make it look cheap. You're right on Unapologetic, it at the end was the most uninspired, unfunny, stupid choice that was ever made in terms of setlists, it makes me cringe sm and genuinely makes me want to skip the whole section (holiday with the same arrangement is boring as hell so let's say I would just turn my pc off right after MG), the intro is underwhelming as hell, the whole act is lame and overedited (I'm one of those fans who actually think the editing on her last tours are not as bad as fans say) but the iconic / bim part is just pure eyes-burning and headache crap, I could defend the MDNA tour editing, but this was too much even for me...

And talking about burning, BU is so flat and out of place, slowed down D&D wtf was that? It lacks of all its energy and romanticism, and the 80s Mashup is such a great idea that hopefully will be explored for her next shows but it just doesn't work here... And how the fuck could she not include GT in the setlist, when it's literally considered the real hit and best song of the whole album? This still baffles me...

Again, overall it's good, I genuinely like the rest such as the religious act, the Music/Candy Shop/Material Girl sequence but a big let down after such perfection coming with MDNAT, S&S and CT. Sorry for the negative comment, I genuinely never do this in general but I felt like telling my two cents about this lol

'Unapologetic, it at the end was the most uninspired, unfunny,'  lets be real; madonna never had humor in the first place

3 hours ago, into the erotico said:

'Unapologetic, it at the end was the most uninspired, unfunny,'  lets be real; madonna never had humor in the first place

I think she has always had a great humor, but Unapologetic as part of the show is just horrible, lol, It's stupid, kinda embarrassing and steals almost 10 minutes of show with just a banana joke. There was nothing better to put at the end? Really? Lol

- Madonna's musicianship is often underrated, even by her own fans. The general public is probably not aware that she started out in a rock band, that she can play some instruments, that she's a classically trained dancer or that she's a consummate songwriter since her first album. Also, she has come a looong way since the "Minnie Mouse on helium" days. Not a powerhouse vocalist but she can definitely carry a tune.

- "Papa Don't Preach" is her best music video. No flashy budget, just great, effective storytelling.

- Who's That Girl Tour is her performing peak. She didn't have the massive production but she totally carried the show with her live vocals, the live band, the energetic dancing and the killer setlist.

- "Dear Jessie" and "Cherish" kill the vibe of the Like A Prayer album, therefore I can't consider it her very best.

- Something To Remember should be considered an essential Madonna album. Whoever came up with the idea of a ballad compilation is a genius.

- Evita is her biggest career triumph. She proved all her naysayers wrong once and for all and delivered a stellar performance, vocally and acting-wise, further cementing her legend status. She deserved an Oscar nomination / win.

- Music deserves as much recognition as Ray Of Light. The cyber-cowgirl aesthetic, mixing classic Americana with futuristic electronica - just brilliant.

- Mirwais is the best producer she has ever worked with. Music, American Life, Madame X >>> t.heir work together always turns out to be interesting and experimental.

- I would've traded the Drowned World Tour for her to play the role of Velma Kelly in Chicago.

- Swept Away is by the far the worst thing she has ever been in. Second is that humiliating "STAR" BMW commercial. Damn you, Guy Ritchie!.

- Hard Candy was NOT a flop like some fans claim. All things considered, it did better than past albums released in a much healthier sales climate, such as American Life, Erotica or Bedtime Stories. Although I'm sure it would've sold more copies with a less jarring / amateur artwork.

- Warner probably had way more influence on her European radio success than we are aware of. It's suspicious how the U.K dropped her after 30 years as soon as she signed with Interscope (#3 Celebration > #37 Give Me All Your Luvin)

- Sticky & Sweet is one of the best tours ever, by any artist. None of the current pop stars (sans Beyoncé) could pull off such a high-energy show at age 50. Most 20 year olds would be gasping for air after the "Into The Groove" jump rope segment.

- Biggest missed opportunity: Not submitting "Masterpiece" for Best Original Song at the Oscars. It was a surefire win since the only competition was a Muppets song.

- "W.E" is a visually stunning film.

- MDNA is a solid dance album and one her most personal records if you pay attention to some of its lyrics chronicling her divorce.

- The Gaga "feud" backfired. M could've been positively introduced to a new generation of baby gays but instead, some Little Monsters hold a grudge against Madonna fans to this day and viceversa.

- Madame X is better than many of her "classic" albums, such as Like A Virgin, which in my opinion, its only held to a higher regard for its commercial success and cultural importance.

Since these are OPINIONS...

Orbit became a one-trick pony after ROL, and after that album didn't do anything for her music that couldn't have been done better by another producer .

Like a Virgin is overrated (song and album). 

I would be totally OK with never hearing Holiday again.  Ditto Take a Bow.

COAD is a great album with lots of great songs, but is neither groundbreaking nor sonically revolutionary.  It's a disco throwback album!  And Hung Up is...fine?  There are many better songs, even within the same album.  

People who think the Avicii version of Rebel Heart would have been some kind of return to the charts for her are fooling themselves.  It's nothing special.

There is an incredible album buried within the huge selection of Rebel Heart demos/album tracks.  Like, a top 5, career defining album, if only she had more time to work on it and the team to help her realize what a goldmine she was sitting on.

She is a fantastic supporting actress.

She does not need, for any reason ever, to release a new album of only ballads.  If she's only going to release new music every 3+ years, mix it up.  She's not fucking Celine Dion.

The outtakes from Hard Candy are, across the board, better than anything that actually made the cut.  It's a terrible record with the worst single choices of her career and a massive disconnect between herself and her producers (Timbaland actually thought that the lyrics of Pele Tute were about coffee FFS).  The artwork's kinda ok though.  

On 9/24/2021 at 1:14 AM, Andreo said:

I think she has always had a great humor, but Unapologetic as part of the show is just horrible, lol, It's stupid, kinda embarrassing and steals almost 10 minutes of show with just a banana joke. There was nothing better to put at the end? Really? Lol

she redicules whoever took the 'banana' present and most of all, herself 

9 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

Since these are OPINIONS...

Orbit became a one-trick pony after ROL, and after that album didn't do anything for her music that couldn't have been done better by another producer .

Like a Virgin is overrated (song and album). 

I would be totally OK with never hearing Holiday again.  Ditto Take a Bow.

COAD is a great album with lots of great songs, but is neither groundbreaking nor sonically revolutionary.  It's a disco throwback album!  And Hung Up is...fine?  There are many better songs, even within the same album.  

People who think the Avicii version of Rebel Heart would have been some kind of return to the charts for her are fooling themselves.  It's nothing special.

There is an incredible album buried within the huge selection of Rebel Heart demos/album tracks.  Like, a top 5, career defining album, if only she had more time to work on it and the team to help her realize what a goldmine she was sitting on.

She is a fantastic supporting actress.

She does not need, for any reason ever, to release a new album of only ballads.  If she's only going to release new music every 3+ years, mix it up.  She's not fucking Celine Dion.

The outtakes from Hard Candy are, across the board, better than anything that actually made the cut.  It's a terrible record with the worst single choices of her career and a massive disconnect between herself and her producers (Timbaland actually thought that the lyrics of Pele Tute were about coffee FFS).  The artwork's kinda ok though.  

I agree with all these opinions 100% except the Avicii one. When the demo for Wash All Over Me leaked she got rave reviews for it in the press and even non fans were excited for it. That sound was described by many as a return to form and groundbreaking. 
Her altering her original vision and allowing the leak to shake her confidence in it was by far the biggest career mistake she ever made (that we know of from her own words)

42 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I think Unapologetic Bitch was a great closing number. And I like how the banana moment was edited in the film

I honestly can't enjoy that performance, the idea is kinda funny but overall, it almost ends up as a cringey thing and not so necessary. I like the lighthearted approach to end the show, but Imo a better choice could have been made. It's also a bit annoying to listen to in the live album lol 

On 9/25/2021 at 9:12 AM, thegoldencalf said:

I agree with all these opinions 100% except the Avicii one. When the demo for Wash All Over Me leaked she got rave reviews for it in the press and even non fans were excited for it. That sound was described by many as a return to form and groundbreaking. 
Her altering her original vision and allowing the leak to shake her confidence in it was by far the biggest career mistake she ever made (that we know of from her own words)

I agree with Wash All Over Me.  I think it works better as a midtempo song, and it's not like I dislike the Avicii version of RH, I just don't think that it would have been the massive success that so many others seem to think it would have been.  But what do I know, I also thought that Living For Love would have been waaaaay bigger for her than it ended up being, and i truly don't get how Ghosttown isn't one of her biggest singles ever.  Blame agism and lame-ass radio programming I guess, because those are both pretty strong tunes IMO.  (And to be honest, I'm just talking about American radio, not sure how well they did elsewhere).  I think we can probably also blame the lack of physical formats for almost anything during her ill advised time on Interscope.  They just dropped the ball in every conceivable way when it came to M and her career IMO.  When you have a collectible artist (one of the MOST collectable artists of all time, in fact), why would you not capitalize on that and release 12"s and picture disc's and CD singles and the whole 9  yards?  We got, what?  One picture disc and a small handful of 2 track CD singles with half-assed artwork?  Sorry, I'll stop ranting now.

37 minutes ago, momosfantasy said:

I agree with Wash All Over Me.  I think it works better as a midtempo song, and it's not like I dislike the Avicii version of RH, I just don't think that it would have been the massive success that so many others seem to think it would have been.  But what do I know, I also thought that Living For Love would have been waaaaay bigger for her than it ended up being, and i truly don't get how Ghosttown isn't one of her biggest singles ever.  Blame agism and lame-ass radio programming I guess, because those are both pretty strong tunes IMO.  (And to be honest, I'm just talking about American radio, not sure how well they did elsewhere).  I think we can probably also blame the lack of physical formats for almost anything during her ill advised time on Interscope.  They just dropped the ball in every conceivable way when it came to M and her career IMO.  When you have a collectible artist (one of the MOST collectable artists of all time, in fact), why would you not capitalize on that and release 12"s and picture disc's and CD singles and the whole 9  yards?  We got, what?  One picture disc and a small handful of 2 track CD singles with half-assed artwork?  Sorry, I'll stop ranting now.

LFL just fell flat. I loved that song and was sure it’s gonna be big but I guess people just didn’t care about it. She should have led with BIM for chart success. And even though Ghosttown seems to be a fan favorite I never liked that song and the vocals and production did not sound great at all. 
Interscope did an amazing job with her tour but they basically ruined her recording career. In 2015 the resurgence of physical media was just taking off again after 10 years of decline and they didn’t really pick up on it until MX. And they didn’t really do much on digital. Around the same time they almost buried Gaga’s career too. 
And the fact that Madonna had to pay out of pocket for music videos and they were pretty lackluster didn’t help either. Medellin was just as much of a flop as LFL but got much better exposure because the video got a reaction from people

6 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

LFL just fell flat. I loved that song and was sure it’s gonna be big but I guess people just didn’t care about it. She should have led with BIM for chart success. And even though Ghosttown seems to be a fan favorite I never liked that song and the vocals and production did not sound great at all. 
Interscope did an amazing job with her tour but they basically ruined her recording career. In 2015 the resurgence of physical media was just taking off again after 10 years of decline and they didn’t really pick up on it until MX. And they didn’t really do much on digital. Around the same time they almost buried Gaga’s career too. 
And the fact that Madonna had to pay out of pocket for music videos and they were pretty lackluster didn’t help either. Medellin was just as much of a flop as LFL but got much better exposure because the video got a reaction from people

I agree on LFL being quite flat, but Imo the video is very good. Honestly RH had mediocre visuals in terms of design and photoshoots, but the videos were great tbh. I noticed fans tend to overlook them! 

The Redtop and Paul Andrews remixes of "Ghosttown" are better than the album version.

"Living For Love" is great but feels like it doesn't have a real chorus. Like something big is coming and then.....

"Illuminati" should have been a single with a Jonas Akerlund  video based on conspiracy theories. 

Steven Klein has never topped Xstatic Process.

She should write an autobiography before doing a biopic. Someone else should direct.

It's criminal she never performed/did a video interlude with any of Rauhofer's remixes.

All of the remixes for "Me Against The Music" are miles better than the original.

Nothing would have ever topped an M/Janet collab. Except maybe M/Michael.

She should have said his name in "Funana". That song had the biggest hit potential from Madame X. 

I like "Runaway Lover" and "Amazing" but they stick out like sore thumbs on Music and prevent it from sounding as cohesive as ROL. Everything else works. 

The Bixi and Jones (sp?) remix of "American Pie" is the best version.

The official remixes for "Hung Up" were really disappointing.

Will never understand how Tracy Young became her longest running remixer.

Her interviews with Rosie were scripted performances.

Would love to see her interviewed by Joe Rogan.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:25 PM, Candido Marten Tellez said:

Yes ! We don’t talk enough about his justify my love and erotica  oh and even I’ll Remebwr remixes !

Justify My Love is among her best and most criminally underrated songs and music videos. I wish she included it on Erotica with few more songs in that vibe.

It’s often brushed off as a compilation bonus track when it’s a freaking masterpiece.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:02 PM, Husam Elzien said:

True! Both sort of lose steam halfway through and just end on moot notes IMO. 

My opinion:

She doesn't know how to sequence the tracks on her albums post Erotica properly (sans Music). It will start upbeat and then slows down and then it just ends on a downtempo or a ballad instead of sprinkling the uptempos throughout so at least she can end on a ballad and it doesn't leave the listener feeling like something is missing. Confessions is the worst because it starts so grand and fabulous and then the good drugs from the club wore off halfway through and you're still partying but it doesn't hit the same as the beginning.

Because it’s a concept album, not a frat party playlist. It has a theme that moves from darkness to light or the opposite, negatives to positives, pain to healing or a turbulent journey through various ups and downs in life, like Madame X.

Closing tracks like Easy Ride, Mer Girl, Like It Or Not, Falling Free, I Rise represent a brilliant conclusion to the message of their respective albums, some being about getting personal from the outer layers down to the core, gradually opening up, or making peace with a painful past or making a point after the whole story, and she’s usually at her best and most authentic in her ballads.

8 minutes ago, o_g_c_x said:

She looked really hot and only 6 years ago. She is totally different now.

before becoming a football mum :) i liked this performance i dont know why fans hated it so much :)did i hear her say "holy shit " at the end , maybe she realised she hurt him with her grills 

Edited by hankypanky2021 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

- Erotica is her best album

- Confessions is great, but not revolutionary. Sorry is the best single from it

- Her pre-Evita voice was amazing and while the post one is great, it doesn't have the same emotion as before

- Something To Remember is one her best songs and I'm Breatheless is one of her best albums.

- Her 80s music is only nice, her 90s and 00s songs are 696969696969 times better