The Polaroid

BillyBongo

What this bit is all about?

I haven’t seen the tour and so yes, I’m just going on accounts from others but how does it go down in the theatre? Do people applaud, is there excitement? Reading the accounts, it comes across a bit..... uncomfortable. Rosie O’Donnell got the first one, DontTemptMe26 saw staff give Andy Cohen the cash to pay for it, thegoldencalf reports that a guy offers $160 and she’s rude to him, selling it instead for $1000 to someone else, Enrico posted a report from another site saying a nurse from Spain forked our $1500 for it. 

I just don’t get what this bit is meant to be? Is it a bit of harmless fun? Does it come across like that in the theatre? It’s coming across like humiliating the poor on paper but I know that’s not what it’s intending to be, and don’t think for a second that I genuinely believe that’s Madonna’s intention, it’s just not translating well to me. I guess it really is a “you have to be there” moment?

6 minutes ago, emanon said:

till now...only saw those polaroids going to her rich friends. The staff giving money to Andy Cohen to pay for it...means its something staged I guess. She is rude to someone offering 160...Madame X is a money digger...

the first couple of shows were celebs, subsequent shows were fans who have paid $1000, $1500 & $2000 I think. Money going to Raising Malawi.

last night (Tuesday 9/24) she had like 9-10 fans up front and there were a couple of low ball offers until a fan offered $1,000 in cash. she's not "rude" but she does make jokes that could come off as rude if you aren't a fan or don't know madonna's sense of humor. any real fans in the audience will laugh it off....

27 minutes ago, bgwbgw said:

last night (Tuesday 9/24) she had like 9-10 fans up front and there were a couple of low ball offers until a fan offered $1,000 in cash. she's not "rude" but she does make jokes that could come off as rude if you aren't a fan or don't know madonna's sense of humor. any real fans in the audience will laugh it off....

Just listened to the audio of it, and yeah as a fan we get her humour, but I think this is the part I'll use as a bathroom break. Hearing it just sounds kinda awful. If I had the chance I'd give her $500 of hard earned money and converted from CDN to USD ($660), but seems like that isn't gonna be good enough for her.

As mentioned, it's just a little comical break. Perhaps the set is changing and/or she is just filling time. You're right, it does come across a bit 'diva'-like, but it is what it is. Madame X is also a 'wh*re'! (for money) :D

Her banter isn't always the best, and her jokes are terrible. I think when she sits down with a fan (and even sips his drink), THAT actually works. I mean, she's one of us for a moment - cool!

Edited by seanp78 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, seanp78 said:

As mentioned, it's just a little comical break. Perhaps the set is changing and/or she is just filling time. You're right, it does come across a bit 'diva'-like, but it is what it is. Madame X is also a 'wh*re'! (for money) :D

Her banter isn't always the best, and her jokes are terrible. I think when she sits down with a fan (and even sips his drink), THAT actually works. I mean, she's one of us for a moment - cool! 

she did this last night. she sat right in the front with a fan from London and asked for a sip of her beer, and even talked to a few of the people she was with as well. she gave them a good 5 minutes of the shows time. very sweet and funny :)

3 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

To be honest, I felt like it was a very humiliating and greedy gesture. Humiliating to her and the fans. People paid $1000 give or take, to be part of this intimate experience with the fans. Of course, the $1000 is the price of entry only and doesn't include phones or photos yada yada, but this feels morally wrong. If I were here, I'd pick a fan at random or a few each show and take a polaroid selfie with them and give it as a gift. This will make fans feel that their favorite singer appreciates their presence and respects them just for being present there or if they were so enthusiastic, danced good or dressed up like her or just wanted the opportunity so much or through a random draw. That would've been a lot more meaningful. It would incentivize people to get tickets to see her even more than once to win that chance of taking a polaroid with THE Madonna.

But this... I adore Madonna and I really really respect how she supported me with her work, but this is really really greedy and cheap. You may say she's giving it to charity, but who cares? people aren't there to support charity, not everything has to be about charity. I wouldn't care if she's taking the money or giving it to charity, because the fact of the matter is whoever is paying, is paying to get a picture. She can afford to take out $1000 from her own pocket for each show and give it to charity and it wouldn't make a dent in her wallet. Also, the photos don't even feature the fan who's paying and from what I've seen, they all look strikingly similar, so how is that more valuable than just printing an abundance of the same photo to make it feel special enough of a thing to bid on?

I didn't mind the high ticket prices because well, she's Madonna and this is front row..etc. even though the strategy of selling tickets, especially in the US was horrendous with that lottery thing. But this is just too much.

She has often asked her followers or fans to donate to charity etc etc and lets not forget the mdna love spent where fans were throwing money at her 037c508a0ca65dd621d2914309de2f58.jpg

Just now, RinoTheBouncer said:

To be honest, I felt like it was a very humiliating and greedy gesture. Humiliating to her and the fans. People paid $1000 give or take, to be part of this intimate experience with the fans. Of course, the $1000 is the price of entry only and doesn't include phones or photos yada yada, but this feels morally wrong. If I were here, I'd pick a fan at random or a few each show and take a polaroid selfie with them and give it as a gift. This will make fans feel that their favorite singer appreciates their presence and respects them just for being present there or if they were so enthusiastic, danced good or dressed up like her or just wanted the opportunity so much or through a random draw. That would've been a lot more meaningful. It would incentivize people to get tickets to see her even more than once to win that chance of taking a polaroid with THE Madonna.

But this... I adore Madonna and I really really respect how she supported me with her work, but this is really really greedy and cheap. You may say she's giving it to charity, but who cares? people aren't there to support charity, not everything has to be about charity. I wouldn't care if she's taking the money or giving it to charity, because the fact of the matter is whoever is paying, is paying to get a picture. She can afford to take out $1000 from her own pocket for each show and give it to charity and it wouldn't make a dent in her wallet. Also, the photos don't even feature the fan who's paying and from what I've seen, they all look strikingly similar, so how is that more valuable than just printing an abundance of the same photo to make it feel special enough of a thing to bid on?

I didn't mind the high ticket prices because well, she's Madonna and this is front row..etc. even though the strategy of selling tickets, especially in the US was horrendous with that lottery thing. But this is just too much.

:clapp:

12 hours ago, into the erotico said:

:clapp:

Thank you :hearteyes:

14 hours ago, mark perry said:

She has often asked her followers or fans to donate to charity etc etc and lets not forget the mdna love spent where fans were throwing money at her 037c508a0ca65dd621d2914309de2f58.jpg

Of course. Donating to charity is something she always did, yes. But I'm talking about the way this move was conducted. There's a huge difference between people throwing random bills at her while she performs and she's taking them to charity to her selling roughly the same pose in a polaroid every night for $1000+ and being rude to those who bid a low price.

From ATRL:

in other news Madonna was in quite a mood tonight. calling out several members of the audience for shouting and telling them to “follow along and listen, speak when asked to” To her benefit the audience was absolutely dead tonight. She didn’t even sell the Polaroid tonight, someone offered 2,000 and she said that wasn’t enough. No one else offered more and she put the Polaroid in her dress and said “on with the show”

1 hour ago, SimonVenekeo said:

She didn’t even sell the Polaroid tonight, someone offered 2,000 and she said that wasn’t enough. No one else offered more and she put the Polaroid in her dress and said “on with the show”

Or does that sound too greedy?
That's not greed, no, indeedy
That's just stocking the store
Gotta fill your cupboard, remember Mother Hubbard
More! More!

3 hours ago, SimonVenekeo said:

From ATRL:

in other news Madonna was in quite a mood tonight. calling out several members of the audience for shouting and telling them to “follow along and listen, speak when asked to” To her benefit the audience was absolutely dead tonight. She didn’t even sell the Polaroid tonight, someone offered 2,000 and she said that wasn’t enough. No one else offered more and she put the Polaroid in her dress and said “on with the show”

This isn't a good look M.

3 hours ago, SimonVenekeo said:

From ATRL:

This is such a terrible look, Madonna. I adore you more than you can imagine, but this is a new level of disrespect to fans and to tarnishing your own name after a long life of appearing as the revolutionary artist who speaks for the weak, the poor, the broken, the outcasts and encouraging self-respect, self-love and equality.

I'm not saying she owes us a polaroid, but this attitude comes off as quite hypocritical from someone who sang "I will be poor, if the poor are humiliated" only to go on humiliating the poor. We call her a queen out of respect and love, not out of being parasites beneath her that she gets to be rude to in the name of humor or whatever.