Did Madonna Scrap Rebel Heart Tour V1?

eXtremeOccident

I have a theory that they scrapped the first version of this tour. Especially given the "production delays".

Maybe because of financial constraints? Maybe she realized she needed to slow down? But to this day, I remember this tour felt really weird in-person, and it was the only Madonna show I didn't come out of absolutely ecstatic.

There were so many ideas alluded to:

* Hold Tight / Drums

* S.E.X. Video

* Justify My Love (Whole Lotta Love Remix, which was making its rounds at the time)

* La Isla Bonita (alternative arrangement)

* A LOT of choreography shown in the rehearsal videos that didn't make the cut:

It still is MADONNA, and it was definitely an amazing concert, regardless (unlike...uh...Ariana, which was absolutely terrible earlier this year).

Was curious if anyone knows anything further? Thoughts?

The SEX interlude was the most disappointing interlude Madonna has ever done on tour. It had so much potential to be sexy and erotic but instead they slapped the Erotica video over the song. Messiah was also missed potential to do something beautiful and unique with its imagery but Ghosttown's video was just slapped over the song as well. Rebel Heart was definitely a disappointing tour in terms of its theatrics and interludes.

Agreed. It seemed like the Rebel Heart Tour had so many recycled ideas. She'd already done the matador themed stuff. She'd already done the Asian themed stuff. She'd already done the Catholic themed stuff.

I enjoyed that there was a pretty good amount of old material included and I liked some of the musical arrangements. "Deeper and Deeper" was excellent. "Like a Virgin" was great. I'm glad she included "Candy Shop", "Music", "Holiday" and "Love Don't Live Here Anymore".

I would have loved to hear some other Rebel Heart songs like "Hold Tight" and "Inside Out". I liked those songs, but was never a fan of "Iconic" or "S.E.X." We could definitely have done without "La Vie En Rose".

But overall, she seemed a little tired and bored, which I think explains why she decided to really mix things up on this current tour.

Shots of the S.E.X. backdrop appear briefly but yes it was indeed scrapped for unknown reasons. It's jarring to see '92 Madonna then '15 Madonna on screens. 

The bad transition from Iconic/Bitch I'm Madonna/Burning Up to suddenly Holy Water/Vogue/Devil Pray.

Hold Tight performance with the drums.

I loved the show - her warmth was palpable.

I think with the teasers that she does for her tour, she shares half-knowing that these elements are NOT in the show and that she can generate excitement without spoiling the actual content. Those 'lazy' tour videos - isn't she now literally just using all/most the music videos for the songs on MXT?

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2019 at 11:18 PM, clkelley39 said:

Agreed. It seemed like the Rebel Heart Tour had so many recycled ideas.

Point the finger at Jamie King. 

That is the reason why we haven't had a truly iconic M concert since GS. 

Yeah they've been impressive. Yet never hit the mark or showcased M's true magic.