Kieran

How has your opinion of MX album evolved since release?

When I first heard MX, I was in awe of the whole sonic landscape of the album - the journey through the songs with MX. However, over the last couple of months I noticed that I had pretty much stopped listening to the album. When I started to revisit it, there were several tracks that I would skip. Then, posting on the forum, I'd noticed that I had been writing quite a few 'critical' comments about some of the tracks. Firstly, I do not feel at all that any of the tracks on MX are 'bad' songs - they ceratinly are not. But there is something about the album that makes it a 'tough' listen as an album. It is not that the album deals with political/global issues - quite the opposite. I love AL. However, some of the themes and musicality of the album seem quite jarring. I can't quite put my finger on it. Every other M album (even Hard Candy!) has been in high rotation for me months and months after release and they all have a joyousness on some level that keeps me returning. I'm missing that feeling with MX. Even though M is dealing with issues that are very important to her and the world, I seem to miss a great sense of personal intimacy in MX.

The launch of the tour has rejuvenated my interest in the album, but I still find myself skipping a LOT! I do expect seeing the Tour in Feb will again alter my take on the album in a favourable way.

Has your love for MX album grown? Weakened? How does this compare to how your feelings evolved over time with previous albums?

Track-by-track as of now:

Medellin - took a while to grow on me but still very fond of this one!

Dark Ballet: Interesting track but the autotune verse in which it is nigh-on impossible to decipher ruins it for me - skip.

God Control - my love for this song has continued to grow strong. Still loving it (but found the video underwhelming)

Future - bland song that I never warmed to and that lifeless Eurovision, gormless Quavo performance kinda killed it for me. Reminds me of the Twitter bashing she got - skip

Batuka - nice idea but don't like her voice on it, becomes boring for me and really struggle with it - skip

Killers - love, love, love this - especially the last third ('do you know who you are...?')

Crave - love, love, love this - deserved to be first single with proper TV live promotion

Come Alive - bland, skip!

Extreme Occident - love, love, love this still and always. I always think how great it would have been if Falling Free had received this crisp, powerful vocal and stunning piano track.

Faz G - I can enjoy this but should have been on the bonus disc - skip!

Bitch/Loca - Again, I can enjoy this but def should have been a bonus track - skip!

IDSIF - I enjoy this!

Looking/Mercy - love until the last minute and then have to skip

I Rise - I did always like this, but it has grown tired. The subject matter is important, but also fairly trite.

Some of the songs are still great to me ( Dark Ballet , Medellin , Crave, I Rise, Future and Ciao Bella ) the rest of the album has waned for me - I mean I really loved I don’t search I find but now when I listen to me it just sounds unfinished and I think the intro is too abrupt too 

I never liked extreme occidental or killers who are partying and god control sounds silly to me now with the “ people think that I’m insane verse “ - good intro though 

the rest of the songs are just not resonating with me - I think the fact that the album disappeared so quickly from the charts and had NO hit songs also spoiled it for me - I know it shouldn’t as at this stage she’s not going to have drake or Taylor Swift hits but it still bothers me - i want my queen to extend her billboard hits as others are catching up to her fast now 😫

Still the same feeling tbh, the best and most enjoyable M album since Confessions. The only real grower for me has been Crazy this time. For the rest, the tracks I hated are still boring when I happen to listen to them (Medellin, Bitch I'm Loca, Looking for mercy, Funana, Back that up), the songs I found interesting and enjoyable still are the same (God Control, Future, Ciao Bella), the songs I'm mad for are often in rotation in my playlist (Dark Ballet, Batuka, Killers, Crave, Come alive, Extreme Occident, I don't search I find, I rise).

Thinking about the old material, I still listen to Rebel Heart, Ray of Light, Bedtime Stories, Erotica, Like a prayer, Madonna, rarely back to Confessions, American life and Music, never, and I mean never, to Hard Candy, MDNA, True Blue, Like a virgin.

I can say that my preferences are finally settled, The only songs I listen to are Dark ballet, God control, Future, Crave, Crazy and Come alive. I skip all the rest. Crave, my fave amongst them

Edited by White Crow

The album was a great surprise to me, specially after the mess that was Rebel Heart which made me like less than half of it. 

Madame X brings me back to what I've ever enjoyed the most about Madonna. It urged me to look forward to an entire record, which doesn't happen very often these days. 

I was positively surprised by the fact that, even with all global influences it does not go messy as its predecessor, even in the weakest songs like "B*tch, I'm Loca".

Madonna is alive and in full force. Or quite. 

18 hours ago, professormouse said:

Madonna is not and never was an album artist.

That statement is f@cked up and I here are my 14 pieces of evidence to back up my assessment....

1. Madonna

2. Like a Virgin

3. True Blue

4. Like a Prayer

5. Erotica

6. Bedtime Stories

7. Ray of Light

8. Music

9. American Life

10. Confessions on a Dancefloor 

11. Hard Candy

12. MDNA

13. Rebel Heart

14. Madame X

I still listen to God Control, Looking For Mercy, I Don't Search I Find, Dark Ballet and I Rise almost on daily basis. Sometimes I do a full album run every few days or play Crave, Crazy and Come Alive. It's not a bad album. I love it, but I feel like the songs that truly stuck out as among my most favorite of the album and of this year and Madonna's entire catalogue are God Control, Looking For Mercy and I Don't Search I Find.

Its a fantastic "just push play" album, about an hour of sonic shenanigans. I love it as much as I did when it dropped and listen to most of it almost daily. To compare it to MDNA or Hard Candy for example, I would never spend the time listening to those in full, ever. My only legit beef is that Looking For Mercy is about 1 minute of repetition too long.

I love the complexity and variety of Madame X, so glad that she switched gears. 

Medellin: I do not play it as much as before. I feel like there is more to it but right now for me it's a joyful song that uplifts me when I hear it. 

Dark Ballet: ...is my personal favorite and I play it quite often. The unintelligible part is actually my favorite moment. It's a classic Madonna masterpiece. 

God Control: I also love when this comes on and hear it almost daily. I feel like this and Dark Ballet but more so God Control is locked in a glass case where people can see them but not hear them. There is so much of Madonna's personality and way of saying something in them. 

Future: I do not listen to as much as I did. I do think it's like a break in the album after the 1, 2 of Dark Ballet and God Control. 

Batuka I listen to this song a lot more now than I did when I first heard it. The video is beautiful and it's intense, sad, strong, hopeful...I love it. 

Killers Who Are Partying I go back and forth with this song. One week I listen to it everyday and the next just when it comes on the album. Beautiful sentiment and sound. 

Crave: I do not listen to it as much as before but it's always a pleasant, lovely feeling when it comes on. 

Crazy: I sing a long to it when it comes on. It's catchy but I can not say I'm in love with it. I actually think this is another break in the album. 

Come Alive: Listen to it a lot...It is a real boost for me and I love the inclusion of the whole world.

Extreme Occident: I love this song a lot more now than in the beginning. I put this one up there as a Madonna masterpiece. I like that she simplifies complex problems because that is where the emotions live and as feeling human beings emotions affect us in ways we not admit or even know. 

Faz Gostoso: I listen to this one more now than before but my love for is more about the sound and the delivery. 

Bitch I'm Loca: Again, the sound but this one is more light hearted than Faz Gostoso. It's fun to sing a long to. I listen to it when it comes on. Another break in the album from talking about heavy stuff. 

I Don't Search I Find: I definitely listen to this song more now and it seems borderline masterpiece because I feel there is so much more to it than there seems to be. Amazing vibe and Madonna's voice. ❤

Looking For Mercy: I do not listen to this song as much but I think it's because I need a break from it. Madonna seems so sad in it. 

I Rise: The final break in the album and the final word of this album. I do not listen to this as much now because I think I played it too much after I first heard it. 

I want to go through every song because that is how I hear the album now but as an album.. not as much as before but I think that is normal when you played an album a hundred time when you first heard it. With the colder months coming and being indoors more I will be listening to again as an album. 

On 9/28/2019 at 8:56 PM, wtg1987 said:

Some of the songs are still great to me ( Dark Ballet , Medellin , Crave, I Rise, Future and Ciao Bella ) the rest of the album has waned for me - I mean I really loved I don’t search I find but now when I listen to me it just sounds unfinished and I think the intro is too abrupt too 

the rest of the songs are just not resonating with me - I think the fact that the album disappeared so quickly from the charts and had NO hit songs also spoiled it for me -

Near enough exactly how I feel - some great feelings at first - some really nice tracks, but missing a little something. There's no clear run of tracks that I can 'go to' - like HU > GT > Sorry on Confessions. Most other albums of M's have that run of pleasant, cool tracks that can give me a boost or a little pick-me-up. I actually DO have to 'search' to find that feeling on MX :laughing:

On 9/28/2019 at 11:58 PM, blondebenji said:

I love it just as much.  there certain tracks I luv more but that's the same on any M album.  Faz and batuka have grown on me especially after seeing the video. 

I'm a big fan of M's videography and usually the videos allow me to appreciate the song much more. Strangely, with MX the videos have all left me feeling the same or left me actually feeling a little more bored with the songs (Meddelin was a bit flat, GC was 'ok' and Crave was kinda cool but i loved the song anyway. Batuka video... made me even more bored with the song lol.

1 hour ago, LikeAMelody said:

Medellin: I do not play it as much as before. I feel like there is more to it but right now for me it's a joyful song that uplifts me when I hear it. 

Dark Ballet: ...is my personal favorite and I play it quite often. The unintelligible part is actually my favorite moment. It's a classic Madonna masterpiece. 

God Control: I also love when this comes on and hear it almost daily. I feel like this and Dark Ballet but more so God Control is locked in a glass case where people can see them but not hear them. There is so much of Madonna's personality and way of saying something in them. 

Future: I do not listen to as much as I did. I do think it's like a break in the album after the 1, 2 of Dark Ballet and God Control. 

Batuka I listen to this song a lot more now than I did when I first heard it. The video is beautiful and it's intense, sad, strong, hopeful...I love it. 

Killers Who Are Partying I go back and forth with this song. One week I listen to it everyday and the next just when it comes on the album. Beautiful sentiment and sound. 

Crave: I do not listen to it as much as before but it's always a pleasant, lovely feeling when it comes on. 

Crazy: I sing a long to it when it comes on. It's catchy but I can not say I'm in love with it. I actually think this is another break in the album. 

Come Alive: Listen to it a lot...It is a real boost for me and I love the inclusion of the whole world.

Extreme Occident: I love this song a lot more now than in the beginning. I put this one up there as a Madonna masterpiece. I like that she simplifies complex problems because that is where the emotions live and as feeling human beings emotions affect us in ways we not admit or even know. 

Faz Gostoso: I listen to this one more now than before but my love for is more about the sound and the delivery. 

Bitch I'm Loca: Again, the sound but this one is more light hearted than Faz Gostoso. It's fun to sing a long to. I listen to it when it comes on. Another break in the album from talking about heavy stuff. 

I Don't Search I Find: I definitely listen to this song more now and it seems borderline masterpiece because I feel there is so much more to it than there seems to be. Amazing vibe and Madonna's voice. ❤

Looking For Mercy: I do not listen to this song as much but I think it's because I need a break from it. Madonna seems so sad in it. 

I Rise: The final break in the album and the final word of this album. I do not listen to this as much now because I think I played it too much after I first heard it. 

I want to go through every song because that is how I hear the album now but as an album.. not as much as before but I think that is normal when you played an album a hundred time when you first heard it. With the colder months coming and being indoors more I will be listening to again as an album. 

Amazing post - thanks for sharing, really interesting read! 

On 9/30/2019 at 4:51 AM, Sultrysully said:

That statement is f@cked up and I here are my 14 pieces of evidence to back up my assessment....

1. Madonna

2. Like a Virgin

3. True Blue

4. Like a Prayer

5. Erotica

6. Bedtime Stories

7. Ray of Light

8. Music

9. American Life

10. Confessions on a Dancefloor 

11. Hard Candy

12. MDNA

13. Rebel Heart

14. Madame X

To you, of course.
There's barely two on your list have started to get the 'undeniably actually quite good' treatment in the outside world.

i feel this album will age well ..sometimes i enjoy it more than other times ...i wish her version of solade was on it instead of maybe erm ...bitch im loca .

its not a messy album like rebel heart it flows well ..i don't know which one i prefer though as i really liked rebel heart 

When the record first leaked, I wasn't impressed with the production and the direction, also very disappointed to see that she masked her voice electronically... HEAVILY... on every single track.  Though in general, the album fell below par for me, there were a couple of songs that quite stood out (God Control, I Don't Search I Find, and Looking For Mercy), though these too somehow either seemed repetitive and/or unfinished. 

Don't hate me, but now, almost 4 months on, and having listened to the full album again, I like Madame X even less. The autotune/vocoder still grates on me intensely... it ruins what could otherwise be quite pleasant tracks. The production still seems messy (and rather dated), and the songs I previously liked now seem just so-so and just seem to blend in with the rest. I would rate this now at the very bottom of my album ranking now below Hard Candy (Hard Candy is bad, but it is at least coherent). Sorry

I’ve listened to it every day since release and still love it, the only tracks I tend to skip are faz and bitch I’m loca, they give me a headache! Honestly one of my fave M albums and the best era in a long long time. Can’t wait until the tour comes this side of the Atlantic.