Kieran

How has your opinion of MX album evolved since release?

On 11/14/2020 at 11:09 PM, professormouse said:

Only Evita is more unlistenable.
Back That Up was fine as it was.
Come Alive is the most Madonna sounding thing on it.
I hated Medellin at first but now I like it.
The weaker the album = the more the remixes.

more remixes = more possibilities on chart

Madame X is a great and solid album

I love and hate the album. I love the music but i hate the treatment of her voice on it. That is, imo at least, what ruins the album. Time will tell how it will be viewed as. It's still a good addition to her discography, like all her other albums. Some i did not connect to when they were released (COADF) i connected GREATLY later with. It's not an easy album and she made sure it wasn't, she played with the structure of the songs, they are not her usual writing. I love Madonna.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:09 PM, professormouse said:

Only Evita is more unlistenable.
Back That Up was fine as it was.
Come Alive is the most Madonna sounding thing on it.
I hated Medellin at first but now I like it.
The weaker the album = the more the remixes.

I find Evita to be more listenable tbh.

2 hours ago, brank000 said:

I find Evita to be more listenable tbh.

:clapp:

Totally agree. Though Evita is not a piece of work one can feel comfortable listening to often, it is at least consistent, and you can actually hear a well-crafted vocal performance, one which you can tell she poured her heart and soul into. Madame X is a hollow, inconsistent, and over autotuned patchwork mess. One can admire her ambition in her visions for Madame X, but the execution suffered greatly.

Guest DeeperDeeper
On 11/20/2020 at 2:34 AM, PWCCA said:

:clapp:

Totally agree. Though Evita is not a piece of work one can feel comfortable listening to often, it is at least consistent, and you can actually hear a well-crafted vocal performance, one which you can tell she poured her heart and soul into. Madame X is a hollow, inconsistent, and over autotuned patchwork mess. One can admire her ambition in her visions for Madame X, but the execution suffered greatly.

You're more than just a handsome face. :hug:

It’s interesting people bring up Evita. Only because I find Evita quite lovely to listen to. If you’re an avid musical listener like me, some recordings of shows can seem brass, heavy... I’m comparing Madonna’s portrayal of Eva to Broadway ladies. With M there’s a certain softness. It’s not firm or controlled like professional theatrical performers. And when she’s firm, it has this weird wave of kindness. I’m not sure if that’s what the role is meant to be played as. But with M, she brought a softness to that role that I haven’t seen/heard before. And that was the kind of Evita I didn’t know I needed. 

Madonna Needs to stop wasting time, and give her public what they really want from her!!! a happy, retro DANCE DISCO album!

Look at Kylie now!! She went back to her disco roots, and it paid off! She broke a new record,  shes currently at the top of the charts again! She didint had any major US charting since fever 2001, until now!

MADAME X is a lot like Erotica and American Life for me.  So many hidden surprises. So many gems.  So many echoes from history. It is so artsy that it fails people whom continue to search for generic pop or dance music.l but with an open mind, the album is solid in message, tone and delivery.  The autotune, for me adds to MX's mystique and keeps it modern and fresh.  It seems inane to harp on a musical technique that 95% of the modern singers and songs utilize.  People need to stop waiting for Confessions 2.0 or Ray of Light 2.0 or even Like a Prayer 2.0.  Madonna does not do that.  Honestly, I would take MX over any album released in 2019.  It has a clear concept and is unique in a manner not typical in the industry today. MX continues to be in my ultimate M4 rankings and belongs on the field with the rest of Madonna's Immaculate Collection.  A stellar effort.

I think almost everyone suffered Madame X era more than enjoyed it... Eurovision, cancellations, a mess with the remixes EP and the official videos, what was a single and what not, horrible grandma looks, the promo started with a happy song like Medellin when the tone of the album is darker... a mix of things that I think influenced on how I see this album today: weird and hard to enjoy. Maybe with the time I will change my mind in general...

PD: As difficult as it is, and weird promo that it had... the lyrics, and subjects on it were ahead of it's time and what is happening now in the world. That's a good thing that this album has for sure. 

In the beginning I quite liked the album, but I grew tired of it really fast.. and I have not listened to it in ages... there are a few nice songs on it though... but still one of my least fave Madonna albums ever... I enjoy the Evita album much more than the Madame X album.

I've not listened to the whole album in a while, although I Don't Search I Find still gets regular plays from me. I think it's the autotune that puts me off listening to the album regularly. I listened to Confessions on vinyl yesterday for the first time in a while and was instantly blown away at how good that album is. I've not listened to Evita since 1997.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:47 AM, bedtimestory said:

Madonna Needs to stop wasting time, and give her public what they really want from her!!! a happy, retro DANCE DISCO album!

Look at Kylie now!! She went back to her disco roots, and it paid off! She broke a new record,  shes currently at the top of the charts again! She didint had any major US charting since fever 2001, until now!

Kylie's DISCO era is already over

Madame X, for me, is Madonna claiming her crown back and getting her career on track. 

Since Hard Candy, I think, her career was going to strange paths, the albums were deeper in a bad way, heavier, dealing with breakups and things related to it. She was trying to follow trends and catch young audiences at any cost. (But I'm not saying that they were bad, just different). So I divide Hard Candy, MDNA and Rebel Heart as "trying to find her identity" albums and Madame X as her new persona, the Madonna that found herself again, the reset of her career and the confidence that she needed after ending the marriage and short term relationships. 

Over a year later I like it even more now. It's just one of those albums which grew and grew on me and I honestly think it's up there with her best work. I like a lot of music from different cultures and it's an album that speaks to a lot of people because of its message of unity on it. You can tell it was made with passion and this was Madonna tearing up the rule book and not many appreciate that. When many in her position would follow the herd and jump on the latest musical trend she did an album that sounded unlike anything else out there. 

I musste admit I only revisit God Control, Extreme Occident and Looking For Mercy (which I love and which I would have released as a lead single) from time to time.

While I like the album more than I did when i first listened to it I'm still not really impressed by it. I don't think the song writing is very good (only a few interesting melodies, no real choruses, many songs are quite repetitive and dragging), neither do I think the production is really interesting. A song like Batuka has so much potential but I needed a more organic and raw arrangement for that. Her voice is processed to death and the choir is so low in the mix that you could ask yourself why she didn't even bother with it and didn't record the baking vocals herself.

Same with Killers. I don't mind the lyrics, I like the chorus although I must admit that Madonna has become horrible at writing political lyrics. She is way too literal these days. Nevertheless, the lyrics here are definitely not among her worst. But the song drags on forever. Mirwais did much better with the more acoustic songs on Music and AL – I Deserve it, Love Profusion, Intervention, Easy Ride.

Dark Ballet had so much potential. I really enjoyed it when she premiered it at the MET-gala. When I read the first reports about it I thought it would become her Bohemian rhapsody. It's such a good song at first but it really starts to become totally weird after the Nut-cracker thing. Not only are the lyrics silly ("I want to tell you about love and loneliness but it's getting late now" – well bitch, if you can't bother to tell us about love then don't even start) but the song kind of ends nowhere. It would have been a better song if the vocoders part had actually been sung over a great anthemic rock section then would then segues into a crazy electronic dance part before being thrown back to the simple piano arrangement from the beginning. This way, it just stops somewhere and you're left waiting for something that has never come.

I contrast to others here I actually like Faz Gostoso, it's one of the few songs that actually has a catchy chorus (the other is Looking For Mercy which might need a little trim towards the end though).

I can't get over ho much i dislike Medellín, though. I hate her voice, it sounds too think and autotuned, I hate the empty production and I think she sings way too little on it.

All in all I must admit that the Madame X-era is my least favorite of hers, i even prefer the MDNA-era which was equally lackluster in terms of performances and promotion. She's a pop artist. There's hardly a pop-song on this record. There's not a single song that's up to the standard she has set herself with her many very catchy and very successful singles. As a side-project, Madame X would have been a nice thing to have. But as a regular studio album I thunk it just pales in comparison to her huge back catalogue. But it's not alone, MDNA probably enjoys its company.