If I were Madonna, I would...

RinoTheBouncer

Hey everyone,

Have you every wished you were Madonna so that you would do things differently? Have you ever wishes she chose one single over another, had a different idea for a video, tour, album than the one we got or wish that some songs or movies were not made or stuff were promoted differently? This is what this thread is all about, so list the stuff that you consider to be Madonna's bad decisions in your opinions and how you'd rather do differently. It could be anything from your own concept for a performance or video to undoing some stuff or releasing some material before or after the time they were made available. Please note that this is meant to be a fun way to express your wishes, and not in any way an infringement on her freedom.

Now, If I were Madonna, I would:

1. Perform God Control instead of Future at Eurovision and launch at as a single with music video the same night along with the album and tour sales, without releasing Medellín or showing anything about the new era before that, except some teasers maybe. 

2. Release a complete visual album for Madame X album, revolving around the secret agent and her personas and properly fleshing out her character beyond a few appearances with an eye-patch or a trench coat.

3. Embark on a stadium/arena tour for Madame X including both songs from the album, 80s and 90s hits and some forgotten gems that were rarely performed, and let it serve both as a celebration of the great songs on Madame X with their theatrical atmosphere and a form of greatest hits tour, albeit one that is way better organized than Rebel Heart Tour.

4. Make Bitch I'm Madonna music video feature the other celebrities within the video set itself, rather than a superimposed footage filmed elsewhere.

5. Release Rebel Heart or Ghosttown as the lead single for Rebel Heart album (both get music videos) and use Ghosttown as the opener of the tour with a post-apocalyptic atmosphere and Rebel Heart as the closing track.

6. Keep Avicii's versions of the Rebel Heart album, rather than replacing them with acoustic versions, and release Wash All Over Me as a single with a music video. I would also release the acoustic versions as part of the super deluxe album.

7. Wouldn't take long breaks between albums because people aren't getting any more excited as time passes, and it shows.

8. Collaborate with Daft Punk as a future producer and take advantage of the tactics the current generation of singers and their managers use to push the albums, even if it means spending on a payola deal, stronger marketing, another Super Bowl or Eurovision...etc. and release promotional material up to the standards of today's style and design. No more homemade single covers by beginner-level Photoshop users.

9. Release an album of original and old ballads (or just original ones) and emphasizing on that style, THEN embark on a one off theater residency for it. Whether before or after Madame X.

10. I wouldn't spend time on making movies, knowing the public's stance towards any film related to Madonna in any shape or form, unless it's a soundtrack for a good Oscar contender that could help push my music career further.

11. Instead of auctioning a polaroid at a future theater show, I'd take a polaroid with a fan or a few fans picked at random or via contest or whoever's dressed best or the most enthusiastic at the show, and give it to them as a gift. This will not only make fans loved and appreciated, but also incentivize more people to come to win that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

12. Spend more time promoting MDNA album, release better singles like Girl Gone Wild as the lead, Masterpiece sing it won a Golden Globe, Beautiful Killer, I'm Addicted and Love Spent, with much better directed music videos, and add more dates on the MDNA Tour visiting Japan and Australia and breaking the record of the Sticky & Sweet Tour.

That's all I can think of right now so feel free to add your ideas :D

Release anniversary editions with previously unreleased tracks

Release the tours with multiangle, real behind the scenes featurettes and ALL the backdrop videos + TOAC Melbourne in full

Release the original 3h extended director's cut version of Truth or Dare with the deleted scenes

Release album booklets with credits, notes and lyrics

3 hours ago, PWCCA said:

1. Delete my instagram

2. Pay greater care to my back catalogue

3. Release BAT on Blu Ray

4. Sack Guy Oseary

5. Stop working with Rent-a-rappers

2 hours ago, Enrico said:

Release anniversary editions with previously unreleased tracks

Release the tours with multiangle, real behind the scenes featurettes and ALL the backdrop videos + TOAC Melbourne in full

Release the original 3h extended director's cut version of Truth or Dare with the deleted scenes

Release album booklets with credits, notes and lyrics

And a Pony too !
Is the regretting recording 'American Pie' comments at all true ?
The stuff she did in her vinyl days were better Songs.

1 erase BIM and American Life songs 

2 lead American life album using Hollywood as the lead single

3 release all demos in a Cd only box set - fuck the vinyl geeks and piss them off

4 release BA , RIT and Confessions Tour on blu ray 

5 release remastered full videography in pcm stereo ( no 5.1 lash up audio ) and include the tour backdrops aswell for fucks sake finally 

6 continue to make new music with decent songwriters and ditch Mirwais and Kevin Antunes

7 stop saying fuck yeah - it’s not clever 

On 10/10/2019 at 2:40 AM, Mark Collins said:

... never take Fan's advice and continue doing what she's always done.  She didn't get to where she is today, listening to us, so why would I want her to start now?

I wouldn’t generalize fan advice as one unified idea, because fans think differently so maybe one wants a rock album next while the other wants Confessions Part 2. Also she hasn’t been making any history since 4 Minutes in terms of global impact. Sure she did chart No.1 but so did Dispacito except hers didn’t last beyond a weeks, or getting people talk about her, but so does a YouTuber who says the N word during a stream or shows boobs or whatever.

This is not to say that she’s a bad artist but who she was 40, 30, 20 and 10 years ago isn’t exactly the same person she is today and that’s fine because people grow, yet her decision making process recently could actually use a lot less yes people around her and a lot more people getting her in touch with reality and how trends work and how social media has an impact that can be done right or wrong and when to hop on a trend, rather than after it ceases to be cool..etc or how single artworks may require a little more effort than an Instagram selfie with bad light and an elementary school level photo shop skills to remove the background with an even worse one.

I love her so much, and this is by no mean an infringement on her freedom but she’s a person like I am a person, like you are a person and like everyone else is. Her management is also made of people, and they’re capable of making mistakes and so is she, and in the recent years, her image, her marketing plans and the quality of her products and the way they’re managed are far from perfect or the high standards set by the likes of ROL, COADF or the early albums, as everything now feels rather a recreation of something she’s done before or a desperate hop on a trend that ceased to be cool or a good thing marketed and presented with a very low budget and low effort work.

I would argue that “she only does what she wants and never listens to anyone” is highly debatable whether in merit or meaning. You could still listen to feedback other than “yes” and become better or learn new ideas or get inspired, especially when you’re the type of artist who wants to infiltrate every new generation, so it stands to reason to at least try to keep up with what this generation wants beside just having a rapper or the most popular singers and models just show up in a song and expecting it to sell as good as this new artists’ best songs, without making an effort to even make it a good song to begin with.

On an end note, this thread was more intended to be fun than to actively “change” her past or criticize her for it.

15 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I wouldn’t generalize fan advice as one unified idea,

I wasn't!  Just offered my own opinion.

I would argue that “she only does what she wants and never listens to anyone” is highly debatable whether in merit or meaning.

Who are you arguing this point with? I didn't say this.  I didn't say she "never listens to anyone".   Of course, she listens to people who help her with her career.  My point is that she needn't my advice to better her career. After all, she's been doing quite well for herself for the past 4 decades.  She may not be as successful as she once was, but I'm sure a lot of younger and less successful entertainers would love to have an ounce of her success she's still maintaining. 

On an end note, this thread was more intended to be fun than to actively “change” her past or criticize her for it.

Fun or not, I still offered my two cents.  Sorry that I can't nitpick her career so easily as some can.  Personally, I wouldn't change a thing because that one thing could easily have cut her career short.  

Edited by Mark Collins (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Mark Collins said:

I wasn't!  Just offered my own opinion.

Who are you arguing this point with? I didn't say this.  I didn't say she "never listens to anyone".   Of course, she listens to people who help her with her career.  My point is that she needn't my advice to better her career. After all, she's been doing quite well for herself for the past 4 decades.  She may not be as successful as she once was, but I'm sure a lot of younger and less successful entertainers would love to have an ounce of her success she's still maintaining. 

Fun or not, I still offered my two cents.  Sorry that I can't nitpick her career so easily as some can.  Personally, I wouldn't change a thing because that one thing could easily have cut her career short.  

I don't wanna infringe on your own opinion about her either, but it doesn't take a genius to guess that singing another song than Future at the biggest promo opportunity of her life and repeating the same performance from Met Gala there was brightest idea, for example. You could argue that changing one thing could cut her career short, but at the same time, it could be her own version of Cher's believe. I also don't believe it's nitpicking when you prefer she released one song as a single or had a music video or toured after Bedtime Stories or Ray of Light, but more like a fan wish.

But as for listening to people who can help her or you personally, this was never meant as a database for Madonna to get help and advices from us. And yes, she's still successful to an extent, but I always hear many hardcore fans say "Madonna does what she wants. Let her do what she wants" (not you, but some) whenever someone makes a suggestion or a criticism, but I don't see anything wrong with suggesting something or if the artist decided to give the fans what they want. After all, all that they're giving is something for sale to an audience to customers, so listening to fan wishes every once in a while wouldn't be such a bad idea. It may not have to do much with her success for 4 decades, but it could be a beautiful spot that fans will be happy about, which isn't a bad thing after all.

14 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I don't wanna infringe on your own opinion about her either, but it doesn't take a genius to guess that singing another song than Future at the biggest promo opportunity of her life and repeating the same performance from Met Gala there was brightest idea, for example. You could argue that changing one thing could cut her career short, but at the same time, it could be her own version of Cher's believe. I also don't believe it's nitpicking when you prefer she released one song as a single or had a music video or toured after Bedtime Stories or Ray of Light, but more like a fan wish.

But as for listening to people who can help her or you personally, this was never meant as a database for Madonna to get help and advices from us. And yes, she's still successful to an extent, but I always hear many hardcore fans say "Madonna does what she wants. Let her do what she wants" (not you, but some) whenever someone makes a suggestion or a criticism, but I don't see anything wrong with suggesting something or if the artist decided to give the fans what they want. After all, all that they're giving is something for sale to an audience to customers, so listening to fan wishes every once in a while wouldn't be such a bad idea. It may not have to do much with her success for 4 decades, but it could be a beautiful spot that fans will be happy about, which isn't a bad thing after all.

Much what you've mentioned here has nothing to do with anything I brought up. Also, I never said you or anyone can't suggest changes or make a criticism. I simply stated my opinion that I don't think she needs our advice as she's done quite well on her own.  I genuinely feel that's true.  Again, I try not to spend much time on the negatives, or things I can't control or may not like.  But hey, you do what you need to do to enjoy being a Madonna fan.  

Since you brought up her performance of "Future", I'm assuming you're referring to the Eurovision performance?  Though,  she didn't perform that song at Met Gala, but maybe you meant her doing a similar performance with "Like A Prayer"?  I actually enjoyed the Eurovision performance, despite the vocal mishap.  So again it comes down to personal taste/opinion.   Maybe she could have given us something different, but it's not like Met Gala was meant for public consumption.  Maybe she was hoping to recreate an epic moment at a huge televised event?  It reminds me when she performed the Marie Antoinette performance of "Vogue" again at the Fourth Annual “Commitment To Life” September 7, 1990, APLA Benefit.   It was not a huge televised event either, unlike the epic MTV AWARDS performance.  Also, it's not uncommon for artists to recreate performances, and Madonna has done that a few times herself.   

7 hours ago, Mark Collins said:

Much what you've mentioned here has nothing to do with anything I brought up. Also, I never said you or anyone can't suggest changes or make a criticism. I simply stated my opinion that I don't think she needs our advice as she's done quite well on her own.  I genuinely feel that's true.  Again, I try not to spend much time on the negatives, or things I can't control or may not like.  But hey, you do what you need to do to enjoy being a Madonna fan.  

Since you brought up her performance of "Future", I'm assuming you're referring to the Eurovision performance?  Though,  she didn't perform that song at Met Gala, but maybe you meant her doing a similar performance with "Like A Prayer"?  I actually enjoyed the Eurovision performance, despite the vocal mishap.  So again it comes down to personal taste/opinion.   Maybe she could have given us something different, but it's not like Met Gala was meant for public consumption.  Maybe she was hoping to recreate an epic moment at a huge televised event?  It reminds me when she performed the Marie Antoinette performance of "Vogue" again at the Fourth Annual “Commitment To Life” September 7, 1990, APLA Benefit.   It was not a huge televised event either, unlike the epic MTV AWARDS performance.  Also, it's not uncommon for artists to recreate performances, and Madonna has done that a few times herself.   

I didn't say you did say that we can't make changes, but the way you referred to Madonna not need your or "fan" advice in general made it seem like Madonna's career would somehow fail if she listens to fans and that the only reason she succeeded is because she didn't listen, but there's no way to prove either scenario.

Yeah, I was talking about Like A Prayer. Met Gala was officially recorded and shared on her channel few days after, so it clearly was shared for the public and I'm aware of artists recreating performances, but this particular one isn't one that is so overwhelming or well-planned that it warrants any recreation. I didn't mind the sound issues, but the fact that her the biggest promo opportunity of her life and for this album was wasted on one of the worst tracks of the album clearly wasn't a genius decision. I'm not saying that your taste is not valid because I'm not talking about taste here, but when you promote a brand new album, you don't waste the biggest promo chance on an old track, a snippet of an obscure track and a pre-order bonus track that no one cared about, when you already have a banger that can make much more impact.

1 hour ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I didn't say you did say that we can't make changes, but the way you referred to Madonna not need your or "fan" advice in general made it seem like Madonna's career would somehow fail if she listens to fans and that the only reason she succeeded is because she didn't listen, but there's no way to prove either scenario.

Yeah, I was talking about Like A Prayer. Met Gala was officially recorded and shared on her channel few days after, so it clearly was shared for the public and I'm aware of artists recreating performances, but this particular one isn't one that is so overwhelming or well-planned that it warrants any recreation. I didn't mind the sound issues, but the fact that her the biggest promo opportunity of her life and for this album was wasted on one of the worst tracks of the album clearly wasn't a genius decision. I'm not saying that your taste is not valid because I'm not talking about taste here, but when you promote a brand new album, you don't waste the biggest promo chance on an old track, a snippet of an obscure track and a pre-order bonus track that no one cared about, when you already have a banger that can make much more impact.

Hmm? What bigger track than one of your most beloved (even among the general public) to help promote anything new?  If she's going to pull out any old track to appeal to a huge audience, it might as well be the iconic "Like A Prayer".  Also, I hardly think of "Future" as a "pre-order" bonus track.   It's a very fun and catchy track which Madonna obviously felt fit the situation. Maybe in your opinion, you don't agree, and that's perfectly fine, since it makes the world an interesting place to live in.  You may have not "cared" about it, but I  did and quite enjoyed the performance.  I'm sure there are many other fans "cared" about "Future" as well.  We can argue that she could have chose other songs, but at the end of the day, it's her artistic choice.  She doesn't need me or anyone else to tell her any different  After all, she's still doing quite well for herself.  I personally felt "Future" and "Like A Prayer" were great choices to perform at Eurovision. Cheers!  :)

Edited by Mark Collins (see edit history)