Like a Virgin x Like a Prayer

Vinny Fonseca

Like a Virgin definitely put her on the map.  She was already making waves, but it wasn't until her performance at the 1st Annual MTV Awards that people really took notice of her.  It was a big song, but that particular year and into 1985, a lot of songs and musicians were emerging.  Still, I preferred a lot of other songs from her over Like A VIrgin.  By the time, Like A Prayer was released, the woman was considered a "Mega Star" and was in great company with the likes of Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, George Michael, and David Bowie.  I feel that Like A Prayer has become a more universal loved song of Madonna's over Like A Virgin.  Most people who aren't fans of Madonna can definitely name that song as a song they love from Madonna.  To me, it doesn't sound dated and she really sounds naturally beautiful when singing it.

I think it depends of the way you look at it...

I think "Like a virgin" is bigger as a whole. The album, the singles, the videos, the tour the soundtracks... Everything on that era was iconic and if you lived it you know what I mean.

But, on the other hand, I think as a song "Like a prayer" is more iconic. Of course the "Like a prayer" era was big. "Express yourself" was a very important song on her career too but "Cherish", "Oh Father", "Dear Jessie" and "Keep it together" (even though some are hits too were not as important as "Into the groove", "Angel", "Crazy for you", "Material girl" or "Dress you up". Of course after the "prayer era" was the "Vogue" and "Blond Ambition Tour" thing that make the everything look bigger but, if we talk just about the albums I think "Like a virgin" had a greatest impact on its own.

I would consider them to both be Madonna's most iconic song. I feel like whenever I mention her to someone that's not a fan, they think of either one. Where I live, every time there's a Madonna song on the radio, it's Like A Prayer. And, whenever someone wants to do Madonna for karaoke, they pick Like A Virgin. They're both very well known, successful, controversial, signature songs. I also feel like, in the eyes of the general public, 80's Madonna is the most iconic Madonna (ageism is a factor in that choice, but that's a debate for another time).

It's a tie for me.

• 2 weeks later...