Star Rating for Madonna's Madame X Show?

Voguerista

From what I’ve seen and heard so far, it’s a 2 star out of five, or three maximum. Too many songs that don’t require autotune being autotuned anyway and sounding weird and this is coming from someone who enjoys autotune in music, the outfits are the most uninspired to date, the opening is the weakest despite God Control being such an epic song but butchered by that horrendous outfit and simplistic set, and the overall set design is pretty low budget even by theater standards.

In addition, many songs, or at least the impression she’s given us on Instagram was that it’s gonna be an intimate show about new music and forgotten gems but most if not all the songs she teased weren’t there.

I may have not yet seen it in person but I didn’t see Re-Invention, Confessions or Sticky & Sweet in person either and I was screaming just by seeing low quality fan recordings and press photos at the time. This isn’t giving me any of those feels, unfortunately. The only good thing is that she’s performing more new material than ever, though I’m utterly disappointed that such great material is ruined by one of her lowest production and least inspired sets to date. Madonna wa salads about bringing the latest technology and most visually stunning shows and her concerts were always the party of the year, but now it’s a shell of its former self and repeats too many of the performances that we’ve seen before, the aesthetics, and even the dance routines. It breaks my heart because this era has so much potential for a very visual presentation.

Once again, it's those who don't go, speak up negatively about it, while all that have gone, rave about it.  I think that says a lot! 

I'm not saying that the tour isn't riddled with issues, it seems most who have gone are completely satisfied.  I'm sure I would be too as I love Madonna so much.  Rating something negatively you haven't seen is like telling your grandma her homemade special pie is awful before you even tasted it. :laughing:

18 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

Once again, it's those who don't go, speak up negatively about it, while all that have gone, rave about it.  I think that says a lot! 

I'm not saying that the tour isn't riddled with issues, it seems most who have gone are completely satisfied.  I'm sure I would be too as I love Madonna so much.  Rating something negatively you haven't seen is like telling your grandma her homemade special pie is awful before you even tasted it. :laughing:

Here's the thing, you're taking the positive word of those who have seen it in person and treating it like objective fact and a way to delegitimize criticism from those who haven't, as if they're both the same people with the same minds and the same taste and as if those who haven't seen it would have a positive feedback if they have. The thing is I haven't seen any Madonna concert before MDNA Tour. None.

Guess what? I was in Iraq, and at the time, getting a visa and traveling to see Madonna was impossible, hell even the internet at the time there back in 2001-2004 when I lived there, was too slow to handle any videos, there was no YouTube at the time so all I could see from Madonna's concerts was the promotional photos shown only or very brief clips that could barely show anything or some teasers, but you know what? I was screaming out of excitement at the time. I was super excited until I got the official recordings and I was very happy with even the tiniest glimpse. But this? I can't say that I feel remotely impressed. Is it my taste? maybe. Is it the fact that I was so blown away by MDNA Tour where I was at the Golden Triangle that made me see this as inferior? Possibly. I was front row at Rebel Heart Tour but I can tell you it wasn't as good as MDNA. Either way, I was able to enjoy shows that I didn't see and not enjoy shows that I saw, as much and I'd much rather go back and attend Confessions Tour or Re-Invention that I know I'd enjoy so much, instead of Madame X Tour or Rebel Heart Tour, though the latter is way better.

So no, visual art is not like food. Visual art is meant to be seen, where from is irrelevant, to raise a bit of excitement at least. Food however is meant to be tasted. Also if the pie looks so terrible, it wouldn't be that unwise to assume that it most likely tastes bad.

As you are simply taking the few negative things (which most fans going are willing to  overlook) and making it bigger than it is.  Madonna doesn't need your help embellishing the negatives and disappointments.  She has the media for that.  She'll survive. Your personal experiences/disappointments explained above, really have no relevance to this topic. 

11 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

As you are simply taking the few negative things which most fans who are going are over looking and making it bigger than it is.  Madonna doesn't need your help to embellishing the negative.  She has the media for that.  She'll survive. Your personal experiences explained above, really have no relevance to this topic. 

I'm not taking anything from anyone really. I'm passing my judgement based on what she's been sharing on her Instagram and the few leaked clips and the setlist itself and the idea of a show in a theater. I'm not riding on any bandwagon of hate if that's what you're implying. Also I wasn't doing this for Madonna nor helping her in anything or trying to attack her. Survive or retire really isn't my problem here, and whatever fans choose to overlook or care about is really none of my concern. I'm here giving my rating to what I've seen so far.

My personal experience is very much relevant to this topic, because you implied that just by not seeing the show live, means I'm not qualified to talk about it, so I told you that I've never seen any show live before MDNA Tour and I was very happy with the tiny bits that I saw before they were officially released, and I was very much impressed even though they were just photos from here and there. There was no Instagram, no YouTube no broadcast, so the tiny things I saw got me really excited. Right now, I can't feel excited for this show based on what I've seen so far.

14 minutes ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I'm not taking anything from anyone really. I'm passing my judgement based on what she's been sharing on her Instagram and the few leaked clips and the setlist itself and the idea of a show in a theater. I'm not riding on any bandwagon of hate if that's what you're implying. Also I wasn't doing this for Madonna nor helping her in anything or trying to attack her. Survive or retire really isn't my problem here, and whatever fans choose to overlook or care about is really none of my concern. I'm here giving my rating to what I've seen so far.

My personal experience very much has a relevant to this topic, because you implied that just by not seeing the show live, means I'm not qualified to talk about it, so I told you that I've never seen any show live before MDNA Tour and I was very happy with the tiny bits that I saw before they were officially released, and I was very much impressed even though they were just photos from here and there. There was no Instagram, no YouTube no broadcast, so the tiny things I saw got me really excited. Right now, I can't feel excited for this show based on what I've seen so far.

@Vogueristaasked those who "have seen it" to rate it.  You are rating it based on not seeing it.   That's where the irrelevancy comes into play. I'm sure the OP is open to your response since you were the only one to respond since this thread was posted nearly five days ago.  And I won't assume you are "riding on a bandwagon of hate", but the majority of your posts seem to always accentuate the negative.  I'm not saying you can't offer your opinion, but it just seems you go out of your way to keep putting a negative spin on everything.  

Just now, Mark Collins said:

@Vogueristaasked those who "have seen it" to rate it.  You are rating it based on not seeing it.   That's where the irrelevancy comes into play. I'm sure the OP is open to your response since you were the only one to respond since this thread was posted nearly five days ago.  And I won't assume you are "riding on a bandwagon of hate", but the majority of your posts seem to always seems to accentuate the negative.  I'm not saying you can't offer your opinion, but it just seems you go out of your way to keep putting a negative spin on anything.  

I rated it based on what I've seen so far. The thread wasn't very active and I gave my two cents. Doubt I broke anyone's heart with that, and my own experience was to say that I didn't need to see every show in person in order to feel excited, because I didn't see most shows but I've always been excited. Now I'm not, and I wasn't excited for Tears of a Clown either.

I think positivity is overrated, especially when it's the gullible type of positivity, and I really don't get the idea of having to be positive as a default stance rather than a reactionary one. I was raving with excitement during the MDNA and Rebel Heart eras and all the ones before. I was disappointed with Hard Candy as an album but the tour was legendary. I was very much excited when she was teasing for this era and still releasing music videos but once the whole theater fiasco started and then the ticket lottery mess, the teaser on Instagram which didn't make it to the show, and the stage itself, my excitement went away and I find that as a natural reaction. 

I wish the era was exciting. I wish I was more excited for a tour that I paid a lot of money to see, but now I feel like it's fine "alright" not the best party ever, as Madonna always got me used to. 

Just now, Mark Collins said:

Oh @RinoTheBouncer!  I think you just enjoy "poking the bear".  Yeah, it can be fun at times, but then after while it gets old.  Cheers. :laughing:

I just write stuff online when I feel like writing them. I don’t take social media too seriously, yet suddenly people come with pitchforks “BE POSITIVE! LET HER DO WHAT SHE WANT” And I’m like “yeah whatever, it’s just a comment on the internet, no one’s chaining her to do what I want”. Cheers!

20 minutes ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I just write stuff online when I feel like writing them. I don’t take social media too seriously, yet suddenly people come with pitchforks “BE POSITIVE! LET HER DO WHAT SHE WANT” And I’m like “yeah whatever, it’s just a comment on the internet, no one’s chaining her to do what I want”. Cheers!

Hmm?  I'd say; thinking people are coming at you with "pitchforks", means you are taking it a bit too seriously.  LOL!

I never said you had to be positive.  You over dramatize way too much.  I just said I noticed you accentuate the negative the most.  That's all.  I never said you can't.  So keep on doing what you do best.  Don't be surprised when more people put you on ignore though. 

12 hours ago, Mark Collins said:

Hmm?  I'd say; thinking people are coming at you with "pitchforks", means you are taking it a bit too seriously.  LOL!

I never said you had to be positive.  You over dramatize way too much.  I just said I noticed you accentuate the negative the most.  That's all.  I never said you can't.  So keep on doing what you do best.  Don't be surprised when more people put you on ignore though. 

“Pitchforks” is a metaphor lol can’t believe I had to explain what it means. I also didn’t say you said so, I was talking in general about the whole “be positive” bullshit because to me, when I like something I say it and when I don’t, I also say it. I don’t care if what I don’t like matters to others or not or whether they choose to overlook it or not. I’m just speaking my mind. I don’t see why self-expression has to only be encouraged when it’s positive or that positivity has to always be a given rather than a reactionary stance according to what is given.

As for people blocking or ignoring me, they’re entitled to react as they see fit. My life isn’t gonna stop if somebody decided not to talk to me. In fact, they’d be doing me a favor as I’m not much into people who can’t take a differing opinion without giving the “be positive and stop complaining” mantra.

Once there’s something truly exciting, which I sincerely hope it happens sooner than later, I will be happy to share my enthusiasm. Until then, this is my take on the current state of things.

Rino,  you think it would only get two out of five stars? When are you personally seeing the show?

I wish people who have seen the show would chime in with a star rating. If I were to guess from what press reviews and fan reviews from here and elsewhere(reported in the show and press review threads), I would say it would be more like a four or five star rating as a whole? People everywhere who have seen it are loving it. 

4 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Which part of "for those who have seen the show" did you not understand? :)

I said what I said. Take it or leave it.

2 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

Rino,  you think it would only get two out of five stars? When are you personally seeing the show?

I wish people who have seen the show would chime in with a star rating. If I were to guess from what press reviews and fan reviews from here and elsewhere(reported in the show and press review threads), I would say it would be more like a four or five star rating as a whole? People everywhere who have seen it are loving it. 

I wish they do too. I don’t know if I’m gonna love it when I see it or not. I will see it in London but so far I’m not impressed. Maybe because the idea of Madonna doing a small scale show rather than a high budget production like S&S & MDNA is putting me off. I don’t know really, but I’ll see it and then give another detailed review of it.

I will be going just so I can see Madonna again so none of the other things is gonna matter much, I mean Kate Bush Before the Dawn was laughable in terms of production and it felt like it’s a shown built on 70s tech, not today yet people praised it so much. Could be that I’m more into high tech stuff or maybe people just love the fact that they’re so close to her or into the idea of seeing Madonna doing something small and intimate. I wanna see Madonna even if it’s in a bar, but I’m rating it 2-3 stars as a show alone, and compared to her past shows and the standards she set.

7 minutes ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I said what I said. Take it or leave it.

I wish they do too. I don’t know if I’m gonna love it when I see it or not. I will see it in London but so far I’m not impressed. Maybe because the idea of Madonna doing a small scale show rather than a high budget production like S&S & MDNA is putting me off. I don’t know really, but I’ll see it and then give another detailed review of it.

I will be going just so I can see Madonna again so none of the other things is gonna matter much, I mean Kate Bush Before the Dawn was laughable in terms of production and it felt like it’s a shown built on 70s tech, not today yet people praised it so much. Could be that I’m more into high tech stuff or maybe people just love the fact that they’re so close to her or into the idea of seeing Madonna doing something small and intimate. I wanna see Madonna even if it’s in a bar, but I’m rating it 2-3 stars as a show alone, and compared to her past shows and the standards she set.

Awesome. I can't wait for you to see it and read your review and rating. I hope she surprises you and you end up being surprised for how good it is in a different way. ????????

6 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

Awesome. I can't wait for you to see it and read your review and rating. I hope she surprises you and you end up being surprised for how good it is in a different way. ????????

I hope so, and I hope theater shows won’t be the only thing we get from her from now on. I still hope she’ll tour stadiums and arenas soon with a greatest hits tour or a new record. If Cher can do it at 73 putting the same show since 2001, so can the Queen of Re-Invention.

1 minute ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I hope so, and I hope theater shows won’t be the only thing we get from her from now on. I still hope she’ll tour stadiums and arenas soon with a greatest hits tour or a new record. If Cher can do it at 73 putting the same show since 2001, so can the Queen of Re-Invention.

I hope for more arena shows too...and a greatest hits (reinvention 2) tour would be perfect in a couple of years. I still think this show was just a special rare  thing she wanted to do and try to mix things up for herself and hard core fans. 

0 out of 100 because she is being an asshole!

Seriously, constant cancellations and postponing of shows. I can't take it anymore.

I quit. I'm not going. I can't afford travelling from europe, staying at a hotel just so she can screw her fans over and 'postpone' (aka. cancel) yet another show! Madame X with all of her personas is one thing over all: a disappointment!

If anyone wants my tix, I'm selling two balc seats for the NOV 30th show

4 hours ago, MCL_1993 said:

0 out of 100 because she is being an asshole!

Seriously, constant cancellations and postponing of shows. I can't take it anymore.

I quit. I'm not going. I can't afford travelling from europe, staying at a hotel just so she can screw her fans over and 'postpone' (aka. cancel) yet another show! Madame X with all of her personas is one thing over all: a disappointment!

If anyone wants my tix, I'm selling two balc seats for the NOV 30th show

Don't quit. You are probably going to love the show. Just wait to see it and then decide. ??

7 hours ago, Voguerista said:

We needn't fan "star ratings"!  The fan reviews in the other threads and throughout the Madonna internet groups say a lot.  The majority who have gone have spoken highly of the show.  I've read no negative comments from anyone who have gone so far. 

Like I mentioned before, there are some who are constantly looking for a negative, and it's always someone who hasn't been to the show. 

7 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

you want the theater tour to fail because you dont want her getting comfy you want her back doing arenas etc but thankfully madonna is her own person and she does what she wants to do not what her fans want her to do 

4 hours ago, bobby smith said:

you want the theater tour to fail because you dont want her getting comfy you want her back doing arenas etc but thankfully madonna is her own person and she does what she wants to do not what her fans want her to do 

I don't want her to fail, I just don't care much for low budget shows. It's a personal interest. I don't claim to have some power over her nor do I care if the show fails, I just don't like the idea and I'm entitled to my own opinion.

22 minutes ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I don't want her to fail, I just don't care much for low budget shows. It's a personal interest. I don't claim to have some power over her nor do I care if the show fails, I just don't like the idea and I'm entitled to my own opinion.

But no one said you weren't entitled to you're own opinion?  A fair argument, but you seem quite defensive and most replies still come negative from you?

My "personal" opinion, Madonna's "low budget" is pretty high budget compared to what anyone considers "low budget".  Not sure what you're expecting, but you're a "Ray of Lighter" so that explains a lot.  You must know the woman did so much before and after that album. Peace and love.  Cheers!!

25 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

But no one said you weren't entitled to you're own opinion?  A fair argument, but you seem quite defensive and most replies still come negative from you?

My "personal" opinion, Madonna's "low budget" is pretty high budget compared to what anyone considers "low budget".  Not sure what you're expecting, but you're a "Ray of Lighter" so that explains a lot.  You must know the woman did so much before and after that album. Peace and love.  Cheers!!

Defensive? The other person suggested that I want her to fail and went on to say that they’re glad she doesn’t listen and only does what she wants (which is the de facto argument for blind defense fans), so of course I’m gonna defend my stance because I don’t want anyone to fail. I just do like the direction. Whether she listens or not is her own business, not mine.

As for budget, it’s not even an opinion that this show is of a much lower budget than her last five tours at least. We’re not gonna compare her to a newly rising star or a bar singer to feel better about ourselves. You’re free to enjoy what she’s doing. Just because something is low budget doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it, but it isn’t a high budget production by any means.