Star Rating for Madonna's Madame X Show?

Voguerista

I will rate it 3 stars. Nothing exceptional, but not that bad either. Some of the outfits look like rags, the setlist is very short too (lots of talking, interludes and instrument solos). The autotune is EXCESSIVE and annoying, to the point you cant enjoy the songs. This needs to STOP.

6 hours ago, bedtimestory said:

I will rate it 3 stars. Nothing exceptional, but not that bad either. Some of the outfits look like rags, the setlist is very short too (lots of talking, interludes and instrument solos). The autotune is EXCESSIVE and annoying, to the point you cant enjoy the songs. This needs to STOP.

Did you see the show? If so, what are the things you liked? Favorite performances? 

Yes, I saw it in NY. Ive been to her other past tours as well. But its getting hard to defend her nowadays, after eurovision, after her being late for every tour date and her 'style' choices.

About the show, I loved :  I dont search, Killers, frozen, medellin and the Crave remix!  

Im still an M supporter, ill be seeing her again in miami! I think MX is a good show, but not an INCREDIBLE concert like confessions or Mdna. 

I think she should prioritize conserving whats left of her voice, and take singing more seriously. She needs vocal training lessons to learn how to use her new voice (voice range changes as we age). She should focus on delivering better vocals instead on relying on that annoying autotune.

Its better for her to just sing at this age, dancing can be dangerous if she falls, etc. I dont want her to keep over-pushing herself physically or overwork, she danced hard all her life, she earned her iconic spot already.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Voguerista said:

Thank you so much Guys!! ???

I haven't seen the show, so not going to say anything about it. But I have had a hard time getting a hold on whether this show is any good. There seems to be such a divide and it feels like we have hardcore fans that would love it if she simply came out and read the phone book for 5 min and left and they would call it the best show that ever existed in the history of the universe

Then the fans who, no matter what she has done since Confessions, think it is garbage and not worth the loose change they might have in their pocket.

I have seen some objectivity (not much) which seems to sit around the 3 1/2 star mark, some disspointment but some lovely and great moments. That's the best I have been able to come up with. 

It is a shame, I wish I could figure out whether this show is any good and if Madonna is still on her game live. As far as I can tell critics like the show but still think it is a bit of a hot mess at the same time. So I am confused, lol.

1 hour ago, me1981 said:

I haven't seen the show, so not going to say anything about it. But I have had a hard time getting a hold on whether this show is any good. There seems to be such a divide and it feels like we have hardcore fans that would love it if she simply came out and read the phone book for 5 min and left and they would call it the best show that ever existed in the history of the universe

Then the fans who, no matter what she has done since Confessions, think it is garbage and not worth the loose change they might have in their pocket.

I have seen some objectivity (not much) which seems to sit around the 3 1/2 star mark, some disspointment but some lovely and great moments. That's the best I have been able to come up with. 

It is a shame, I wish I could figure out whether this show is any good and if Madonna is still on her game live. As far as I can tell critics like the show but still think it is a bit of a hot mess at the same time. So I am confused, lol.

From what I've read here and else where, people who have seen the show love it. The only complaints are on the late starts and the ticket price game by Live Nation. Other than that, it's awesome and very much worth seeing especially in an intimate, close up way. She and her vocals are beautiful. She dances her tail off like always. 

19 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

From what I've read here and else where, people who have seen the show love it. The only complaints are on the late starts and the ticket price game by Live Nation. Other than that, it's awesome and very much worth seeing especially in an intimate, close up way. She and her vocals are beautiful. She dances her tail off like always. 

I haven't read anywhere that people hate it, more that there are moments of disappointment, like the auto tune, some of the numbers are a little weak or some things don't make sense in certain sections or don't work. So I have heard legitimate complaints about the actual show.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
On 10/24/2019 at 1:36 PM, Voguerista said:

I hope for more arena shows too...and a greatest hits (reinvention 2) tour would be perfect in a couple of years. I still think this show was just a special rare  thing she wanted to do and try to mix things up for herself and hard core fans. 

I am kind of hoping for some sort of The Immaculate Collection 30th anniversary huge box set for the hard core fans at around Christmas next year and then a proper tour in 2021 or 2022. I am eager to see what she is planning after this era. 

1 hour ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I am kind of hoping for some sort of The Immaculate Collection 30th anniversary huge box set for the hard core fans at around Christmas next year and then a proper tour in 2021 or 2022. I am eager to see what she is planning after this era. 

That would be so awesome!!?

On a five-star scale, I'd say 4.5.

On a side note- re-Invention Tour may be the closest to a GH tour since 2001, but it would not be classified as such. No GH tour at that point would have five songs (six, counting a verse of "Intervention)" from American Life, nor would it have "The Beast Within," "Hanky Panky," "Lament," etc. Even "Burning Up," while a classic, wouldn't feature. And even "Deeper and Deeper" may miss the cut, unless there are some medleys. :tongue:

Guest Nobody Knows Me
On 11/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, JimMarq Radenhausen said:

On a five-star scale, I'd say 4.5.

On a side note- re-Invention Tour may be the closest to a GH tour since 2001, but it would not be classified as such. No GH tour at that point would have five songs (six, counting a verse of "Intervention)" from American Life, nor would it have "The Beast Within," "Hanky Panky," "Lament," etc. Even "Burning Up," while a classic, wouldn't feature. And even "Deeper and Deeper" may miss the cut, unless there are some medleys. :tongue:

Re-Invention World Tour has definitely been her most reflective tour in my opinion but I would also never consider it a greatest hits tour. Honestly, I’ve said this before but if she were to do some sort of greatest hits tour I would preferably like her to include some forgotten favourites for the hard core fans as well, as well as the big hits.

I am not against theatres at all, seriously I think Madame X has been perfect for theatres. But it’d be great if I got to see an arena or a stadium show once as well. ?

On 10/24/2019 at 5:30 AM, MarXus said:

Once again, it's those who don't go, speak up negatively about it, while all that have gone, rave about it.  I think that says a lot! 

I'm not saying that the tour isn't riddled with issues, it seems most who have gone are completely satisfied.  I'm sure I would be too as I love Madonna so much.  Rating something negatively you haven't seen is like telling your grandma her homemade special pie is awful before you even tasted it. :laughing:

Hardcore M fans would be ecstatic if M stood on the edge of a toilet singing 'My Heart Goes On' way out of tune. 

Those who have gone would be satisfied seeing M in a more intimate theatrical experience and that's understandable. Yet overall it's clear the tour has been done on the cheap and slap dashed together. The only section of this tour I'd say comes up to classic M standard is the Fado Club. 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:52 AM, RinoTheBouncer said:

Defensive? The other person suggested that I want her to fail and went on to say that they’re glad she doesn’t listen and only does what she wants (which is the de facto argument for blind defense fans), so of course I’m gonna defend my stance because I don’t want anyone to fail. I just do like the direction. Whether she listens or not is her own business, not mine.

As for budget, it’s not even an opinion that this show is of a much lower budget than her last five tours at least. We’re not gonna compare her to a newly rising star or a bar singer to feel better about ourselves. You’re free to enjoy what she’s doing. Just because something is low budget doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it, but it isn’t a high budget production by any means. 

Even for low budget the set designs and costumes from what I'm seeing, with the exception of the Fado Club section, are disappointing over all. 

RinoTheBouncer I think your criticisms despite not seeing the show are constructive. M could have put on a better show for MX which people would have remembered as a truly magical visual and intimate experience. I wonder what the artistic directors of Cirque du Soleil would have come up with for the MX tour. 

29 minutes ago, JimMarq Radenhausen said:

If it were forgotten favorites, do you mean hits, or album cuts? She could do something like the Anti-Tour, that the Princess of Pop did. :)

We still refer to Kylie as the 'Singing Budgie' here down under. 

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Hardcore M fans would be ecstatic if M stood on the edge of a toilet singing 'My Heart Goes On' way out of tune. 

Those who have gone would be satisfied seeing M in a more intimate theatrical experience and that's understandable. Yet overall it's clear the tour has been done on the cheap and slap dashed together. The only section of this tour I'd say comes up to classic M standard is the Fado Club. 

I say, "bull"!   It's a smaller venue, so you would expect it not being as expensive as an arena/stadium tour.  And nothing is just "slapped" together either.  It's fitting for a small venue, but I'm sure she spent more money on it than a lot of stage productions do and possibly some arena tours who aren't as high maintenance. 

1 hour ago, MarXus said:

I say, "bull"!   It's a smaller venue, so you would expect it not being as expensive as an arena/stadium tour.  And nothing is just "slapped" together either.  It's fitting for a small venue, but I'm sure she spent more money on it than a lot of stage productions do and possibly some arena tours who aren't as high maintenance. 

Disagree. She employed the same stage architects who design her stadium and arena concerts for MX and they could have done a lot more for a smaller venue. 

http://www.stufish.com/project/madame-x

I saw the show opening night in Vegas. Truly loved it however could not enjoy it properly due to the crowd around me and could tell M was not feeling it. My problem was of course the midnight start time and the venue. Looking back the Colosseum at Caesars Palace was not the best option for the show IMO. It would be better suited at the theatre downtown. I'm looking forward to seeing her at the Wiltern in LA! Will give a proper rating then :) 

23 minutes ago, Synchrone said:

I saw the show opening night in Vegas. Truly loved it however could not enjoy it properly due to the crowd around me and could tell M was not feeling it. My problem was of course the midnight start time and the venue. Looking back the Colosseum at Caesars Palace was not the best option for the show IMO. It would be better suited at the theatre downtown. I'm looking forward to seeing her at the Wiltern in LA! Will give a proper rating then :) 

Yay. I Can't wait!!  Xxx

On 11/17/2019 at 4:38 PM, Ashley said:

Even for low budget the set designs and costumes from what I'm seeing, with the exception of the Fado Club section, are disappointing over all. 

RinoTheBouncer I think your criticisms despite seeing the show are constructive. M could have put on a better show for MX which people would have remembered as a truly magical visual and intimate experience. I wonder what the artistic directors of Cirque du Soleil would have come up with for the MX tour. 

Couldn’t agree more. There are many artists who make way more impressive designs for a set, tour, music video, album photoshoots..etc with much lower budgets. It’s so sad to see Madonna, the perfectionist, ends up like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it three times so far. 
2x in NY

1x in Chicago

ill see it again on 12/8 in Philly and was supposed to see it in Paris on 2/18, which I'm now trying to get 3 tix to London on 2/15 or 2/16... but I digress. 

I'd give it 3 stars.

It's special, it's interesting, and it's pleasantly weird. 
I think the "intimate" tag it's getting isn't accurate. It's private. No phones in a small space doesn't equal intimate if it's the same scripted "intimacy" every night, which the 3 nights I've seen (and from what I've read of other shows) has been pretty much the same. Same small penis joke, same Mozart coming out of your pussy joke (which is shockingly not that funny, it's meant to be glamorously crass and vulgar...which is the only thing that saves it) , and it's the same slightly condescending tone used to lecture us on Roe V Wade and Cape Verde and James Baldwin. Not a total turn off, but definitely tedious when there's nothing really lighthearted to balance it out. 

It does have some magical moments, and it's strange to see her in this environment, so it has a surreal quality that only the Musical Theatre genre can create, BUT...

it's really too bad that her musical director doesn't seem to have ever figured out how to make Madonna sound "live", so all the vocoder and pitched down song stems are only that much more obvious in this setting.  I don't really think Madonna knows how to sing live in a theatre either, it's like she's so used to shouting over arena and stadium sized audiences that she forgets to pull herself back a fair amount of the time. 

I get the show, I like the show, but I can't say I love it. 
I'm not sure what happened, but it feels unfinished and rushed while still being over-produced with kitchen-sink logic. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nobody Knows Me

I haven’t seen the Madame X Tour yet but will be attending one of the London shows and am looking forward to it. It looks like a tour that I will appreciate and love a lot more when I see it in person.

Forgive me if I sound annoying or ridiculous but, truthfully, I kind of wish the Madame X Tour had somewhat bore some resemblance to Kylie Minogue’s Intimate and Live. A short 30-date theatre tour with a live band, more simplistic costumes and perhaps just a staircase with an at the top. Not much choreography or anything, just Madonna performing Madame X and fan favourites live.

And then maybe afterwards a big end of Live Nation contract greatest hits collection and a big tour of hits and a few Madame X songs. Just a random idea of mine.

over it whatever GIF by Madonna

3 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I haven’t seen the Madame X Tour yet but will be attending one of the London shows and am looking forward to it. It looks like a tour that I will appreciate and love a lot more when I see it in person.

Forgive me if I sound annoying or ridiculous but, truthfully, I kind of wish the Madame X Tour had somewhat bore some resemblance to Kylie Minogue’s Intimate and Live. A short 30-date theatre tour with a live band, more simplistic costumes and perhaps just a staircase with an at the top. Not much choreography or anything, just Madonna performing Madame X and fan favourites live.

And then maybe afterwards a big end of Live Nation contract greatest hits collection and a big tour of hits and a few Madame X songs. Just a random idea of mine.

over it whatever GIF by Madonna

I'll take any and all Madonna ideas. Love your ideas and have fun at the show. I can't wait to read your review.

Adding: I hope if she does a theatre show again, it's a full blown musical with Madonna as the lead character. Also, I wouldn't mind her playing off the Madame x character more with a spy story line. I also want to know how she lost her eye.

?????