Star Rating for Madonna's Madame X Show?

Voguerista

I saw it in Philly. My energy and hype went up and down during certain parts. God Control was definitely a thrill, or was just really hyped to finally seeing this woman live. Thought the typing intro was intriguing but too dragged out. Darin Ballet gave me legit chills. Human Nature was a bop and humorous with the shadow hands. I am not personally in favor of abortion but I thought the clever twist in Papa Don’t Preach and updated sound was nice. However she really shouldn’t have had to discuss abortion. The song maybe made it clear and the change in lyrics was jarring on its own without being directly stated. Vogue and IDSIF were great but the spy them should have carried on.  First section didn’t really have a cohesive theme either really. Batuka was breathtaking and I loved the Fado section. Frozen was amazing and the Rescue Me segue was one of the most creative things in the show. Come Alive was visually pleasing, and Crave was a bop. Future was beautiful and presented how it should’ve been on the album. I Rise I nearly missed because people started leaving and I thought the show was over because Crave felt like the end. 

Id give it a 4/5. If it wasn’t M, probably lower. The tour was a chance to showcase who madame x really is and her journey. But that didn’t really happen. Regardless, leaves more to the imagination I suppose. 

4 hours ago, gafuller said:

I saw it in Philly. My energy and hype went up and down during certain parts. God Control was definitely a thrill, or was just really hyped to finally seeing this woman live. Thought the typing intro was intriguing but too dragged out. Darin Ballet gave me legit chills. Human Nature was a bop and humorous with the shadow hands. I am not personally in favor of abortion but I thought the clever twist in Papa Don’t Preach and updated sound was nice. However she really shouldn’t have had to discuss abortion. The song maybe made it clear and the change in lyrics was jarring on its own without being directly stated. Vogue and IDSIF were great but the spy them should have carried on.  First section didn’t really have a cohesive theme either really. Batuka was breathtaking and I loved the Fado section. Frozen was amazing and the Rescue Me segue was one of the most creative things in the show. Come Alive was visually pleasing, and Crave was a bop. Future was beautiful and presented how it should’ve been on the album. I Rise I nearly missed because people started leaving and I thought the show was over because Crave felt like the end. 

Id give it a 4/5. If it wasn’t M, probably lower. The tour was a chance to showcase who madame x really is and her journey. But that didn’t really happen. Regardless, leaves more to the imagination I suppose. 

Loved reading your review and rating. Thank you!!! ????

• 1 month later...

Based on the two shows I’ve seen, it’s 3/5 stars. The show is great on its own, but not better than any of her tours, at least not since Drowned World. Cutting the opening segment was a huge blow in the pacing and the way the later sections are divided makes it feel like it’s missing some songs.

The weakest points are the setlist, the outfits, the phone ban, production budget, stage design and the pacing.

The strongest points are the intimacy and emphasis on new material.

5 out of 5. Intimate. Audience interaction. Walking through the crowd less than an arm's length away from us.

Beautiful stage layout for the Fado Club.

The fado section. The whole atmosphere (in Lisbon).

No same-old-greatest hits show. Lots of new material.

I loved Rebel Heart but this beats it. It was so good it felt like a dream. ❤

2 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

Based on the two shows I’ve seen, it’s 3/5 stars. The show is great on its own, but not better than any of her tours, at least not since Drowned World. Cutting the opening segment was a huge blow in the pacing and the way the later sections are divided makes it feel like it’s missing some songs.

The weakest points are the setlist, the outfits, the phone ban, production budget, stage design and the pacing.

The strongest points are the intimacy and emphasis on new material.

This warmed my heart a little ♥️ and that’s notable as it is usually cold as ice. I was so worried after reading your initial thoughts on the show.

To me as a weird fan, Madame X Tour was what I always wanted but a little too late unfortunately. MDNA and S&S to me were kinda mainstream/pandery vs unconventional/artistic along with their albums so it was nice to see her switch it up. 

If she had done this kinda show for ROL or American Life concepts with some of those people (coughStuart) or like brought back Donna or Niki for some sweet vocal moments  (I know I know) hehe...  The whole experience from ordering tickets to unlocking the Yondr at the end of the show was marvelously camp, different and truly memorable. I kinda think some of the Madame X tunes would have been great fun in an arena, maybe next time we’ll get one or two. If she ever does arenas again... 4/5

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nobody Knows Me

I would also give the show 4 stars.
Madonna always puts on shows like no other, and she is my favourite artist and this was the first time I was seeing her live, so I was always going to enjoy it. What I loved was how organic and intimate the show was. I was expecting to feel the high energy I felt when I saw Britney Spears in the arena, however it’s such a raw show that I thankfully just enjoyed it with my own eyes. She was honestly so entertaining and humorous, which definitely was a highlight. My personal favourite performances were “American Life”, “Batuka”, “Crazy”, “Frozen”, “Come Alive”, and “Like a Prayer”. 
I suppose a big factor that stops me from giving the show 5 stars is that I saw the cut down version of the show, and I don’t think “Vogue” worked as well as the opener in this show for me. I thought the Pride performance was a lot more energetic. 
It’s nowhere near her best tour for me personally, however I still consider it to be the best show I’ve ever seen, and I’m very grateful to have attended such a different and intimate show from Madonna.

I loved the three shows I saw in NYC and so did the two non fans who I brought along. The production was beautiful and I loved the small theatre experience. The only thing I wish she had done was replace a couple of MadameX songs with older stuff adn less vocoder nonsense, which was the only but big negative for me about MadameX in general.

4 out of 5 for me.

I've seen her infamous first show in Paris and overall I really enjoyed it!  Her continous lateness, which is always blamed on "production issues" was annoying. I understand she is the queen but she should be fair to those who are working all day long and come to see her. Travelling all the way from Berlin just to see her and having to fly back in the early morning made it a stressfull short trip. BUT - beside the lateness I really enjoyed the show. It's totally different than the Rebel Heart Tour, which was the first time I've seen her live. I love the idea of intimacy, interacting with the audience. The show itself has been just magical to me, though the heavy use of autotune made it somehow a weird experience. Also personally I think she wasn't feeling it but with the pain she is going through it's a wonder she didn't cancel the entire tour. You can praise her for that.

As she announced the tour I thought it would not turn out good but after seeing it in person it changed my mind entirely. Hoping we can soon enjoy a DVD recording, though I don't think that the DVD will give you the cheers I got live in person. And I wish everyone who criticized the tour will change their minds after watching the DVD.

Madame X may have been her most individual tour up to date and I'm glad I could witness this expierence.

My rating: 4 from 5 stars due the lateness of my show and the heavy use of autotune

PS: I still think her up-beat dancing arena shows fits her better, but hey, she's the queen, long live the queen!

Edited by chris97at (see edit history)