Rain x I'll Remember

MarXus

Rain x I'll Remember  

62 members voted

1. 1. Which song do you prefer?

2. 2. Which Video do you prefer?

WeeklyQuickAmericanblackvulture-size_res

giphy.gif

Both were released to help soften her image some after the backlash of Erotica.  Though Madonna sabotaged that some when she appeared on Late Night With David Letterman with her "Fuck" tirade at the time of "I'll Remember" release.  LOL!  Miraculously "I'll Remember" still charted well in her homeland among other countries.  Both songs were huge radio singles as well.  

Knowing how some might enjoy the song over the video or vice versa, I created a poll as well.  Sometimes a video helps people enjoy the song more. Then again, for some it doesn't matter.  What are your thoughts on both of these songs/videos? 

Edited by Mark Collins (see edit history)

Both songs are beautiful.  "Rain" has such an amazing video, while "I'll Remember's" video isn't as appealing.  Though, she looks stunning in some of the in studio shots.  As for the song, I love "I'll Remember" more.  Her voice just melts me every time on that song.   

song - I’ll remember

MV - Rain

It took me many years to see the raunchy lyrical content of Rain and even then I forget that interpretation when I listen to the song. Ajay pointed out how on the nose the sex references are in the song on her new Erotica album reaction. is it really that rude...?

33 minutes ago, Kieran said:

song - I’ll remember

MV - Rain

It took me many years to see the raunchy lyrical content of Rain and even then I forget that interpretation when I listen to the song. Ajay pointed out how on the nose the sex references are in the song on her new Erotica album reaction. is it really that rude...?

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it for a long time until Ajay reminded me of the sexual references in Rain.  Nothing rude about it though?  :)

On 10/22/2019 at 5:03 AM, Kieran said:

song - I’ll remember

MV - Rain

I think someone is over interpreting it. Seriously. 

Yeah you could infer it uses imagery of rain and storms to reference orgasm, vaginal lubrication, female ejaculation  etc... and possibly cunninglingus with the line 'When your lips are burning mine'. Yet it apparently was written for an Alek Keshishian adaptation of Wuthering Heights. It's nothing overly sexual like other tracks on the Erotica album like 'Where life begins' 'Did you do it' 'Secret Garden' or even 'Erotica'

Edited by Ashley (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Ashley Nichols said:

I think someone is over interpreting it. Seriously. 

Yeah you could infer it uses imagery of rain and storms to reference orgasm, vaginal lubrication, female ejaculation  etc... and possibly cunninglingus with the line 'When your lips are burning mine'. Yet it apparently was written for an Alek Keshishian adaptation of Wuthering Heights. It's nothing overly sexual like other tracks on the Erotica album like 'Where life begins' 'Did you do it' 'Secret Garden' or even 'Erotica'

But one can understand the sexual interpretation since it did come from the Erotica album. I personally didn't interpret to such degree when first listening to it back when the album was first released, but it's not a hard leap either.

52 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

But one can understand the sexual interpretation since it did come from the Erotica album. I personally didn't interpret to such degree when first listening to it back when the album was first released, but it's not a hard leap either.

If we're going to go down that path, then I'd hate to think how they'll interpret the Deeper and Deeper lyrics. 

Most of the track titles are sexual puns or lead you to believe as such with only a handful of songs being explicitly about sexual acts, sexuality, etc. That's the beauty of Madonna is the interpretation to different meanings her songs have  and how she prefers it. It isn't the first time I've read Rain being about let's say ejaculation but for sure the other songs are more on the nose about their meanings. Never heard about the Wuthering Heights connection so that's very interesting indeed.

But to answer the question, Rain in both forms (minus the radio remix) Something about the vocals, the spoken verse coming in both channels when you're listening to it, her tender vocals as the song closes with the thunderstorm sounds. Her eyes just penetrate your soul in the video.

21 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Most of the track titles are sexual puns or lead you to believe as such with only a handful of songs being explicitly about sexual acts, sexuality, etc. That's the beauty of Madonna is the interpretation to different meanings her songs have  and how she prefers it. It isn't the first time I've read Rain being about let's say ejaculation but for sure the other songs are more on the nose about their meanings. Never heard about the Wuthering Heights connection so that's very interesting indeed.

But to answer the question, Rain in both forms (minus the radio remix) Something about the vocals, the spoken verse coming in both channels when you're listening to it, her tender vocals as the song closes with the thunderstorm sounds. Her eyes just penetrate your soul in the video.

Totally.  Anyone coming across the Erotica album for the first time and reading the track listing can very easily assume some of the tracks like "Deeper and Deeper",  "Bad Girl" and "Why's It So Hard" and "Secret Garden" are sexual songs.  And upon listening to it, "Rain" can definitely be interpreted as sexual as well.  Not a far fetch at all.  I'm sure she purposely titled songs like  "Deeper and Deeper" and "Why's It So Hard" for people to think that she may be talking about something of sexual nature.

1 hour ago, MarXus said:

Totally.  Anyone coming across the Erotica album for the first time and reading the track listing can very easily assume some of the tracks like "Deeper and Deeper",  "Bad Girl" and "Why's It So Hard" and "Secret Garden" are sexual songs.  And upon listening to it, "Rain" can definitely be interpreted as sexual as well.  Not a far fetch at all.  I'm sure she purposely titled songs like  "Deeper and Deeper" and "Why's It So Hard" for people to think that she may be talking about something of sexual nature.

When I first bought Erotica I thought she was doing a cover of "Bad Girl." :laughing:

On 10/26/2019 at 11:13 AM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Well put!! :)

• 3 weeks later...