Madame X Tour Boxscore Updates

Voguerista

Not bad numbers at all so far, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Madonna Gets $10 Million Start on Madame X Tour With Brooklyn Theater Shows

After touring arenas and stadiums for much of the last four decades, Madonna is experimenting with a new format for her live shows, playing mini-residencies in theaters around the world.

The Madame X Tour kicked off with a sold-out 16-show run at Brooklyn’s Howard Gilman Opera House (the theater is one of many facilities at BAM, the Brooklyn Academy of Music). Averaging less than 2,000 seats per night, Madonna played to intimate audiences over the span of a month. According to figures reported to Billboard Boxscore, the shows combined to gross $9.6 million and sold 31,401 tickets.

Broken out by month, Madonna’s nine shows in September grossed $5.5 million (17,708 tickets), followed by seven shows from Oct. 1-12 that earned $4.1 million (13,693 tickets). That averages out to $601,985 and 1,963 tickets per show.

Playing such intimate shows means that the extended stay at each venue is necessary in order to capture the wide-ranging audience that Madonna has previously been able to reach in just one or two shows per city. Her last venture in New York was a two-show stint at Madison Square Garden, where she grossed $5.2 million and sold 28,371 tickets on the 2015-16 Rebel Heart Tour. Further, she hit Yankee Stadium on Sept. 6 and 8, 2012, pulling in $12.6 million from 79,775 tickets -- more than twice the attendance of her 2019 theater run, playing one-eighth of the shows.

Tickets for the new tour ranged from $757 on the high end to $50. Based on the New York stint’s final figures, the average ticket sold for $306.73 -- a sharp increase from her career average of $115.81. For a more comparative look, excluding the 1980s and '90s before ticketing exploded in the new millennium, Madonna averaged $125.46 in the 2000s and $147.33 in the current decade. Averaging as many as 41,000 fans per night on the 2008-09 Sticky & Sweet Tour, Madonna had the flexibility of charging a more reasonable ticket. But with fewer than 2,000 tickets to sell each night in 2019, she’s experimenting with higher prices.

Though reports through Madonna’s 1993 The Girlie Show World Tour remain incomplete, the Queen of Pop has racked up an incredible $1.3 billion gross from 11.5 million tickets over 516 reported shows, making her the second highest-grossing soloist in the history of Billboard Boxscore (she is the highest-grossing female artist, while Bruce Springsteen is No. 1 overall).

The Madame X Tour continues with seven dates in Chicago through Oct. 28, followed by multi-show runs in six additional U.S. cities and three European legs. With about 75 shows to go, smart math projects the tour to wrap in the $50 million-$55 million range. But as many of the upcoming venues are larger than the theater at BAM (Chicago Theatre holds 3,500 and The Colosseum at Caesars Palace tops 4,000 seats), the final gross could stretch past $60 million before its March 8, 2020, close at Paris’ Le Grand Rex.

"First 16 shows for Madonna's Madame X tour grossed a total of 9.6 million .... 

Average per show was about $600 k ..... 

While OF COURSE they are small theaters with insane prices , insiders say the shows were designed and originally priced to gross $1 million or higher per show .... but with repriced tickets and tons of unsold tickets, that didn’t happen ....

Other cities will be lower ...."

9 hours ago, digitalfreaknyc said:

While OF COURSE they are small theaters with insane prices , insiders say the shows were designed and originally priced to gross $1 million or higher per show .... but with repriced tickets and tons of unsold tickets, that didn’t happen ....

My thoughts exactly. I don’t think $10m is anything to be proud of especially how every show had tickets for sale up until the last minute. NYC is the longest run for the tour, and Chicago even has front row seats for sale until now, not to mention the discounts.

Madonna has achieved far more than this before and she should’ve really stuck with arenas and stadiums, because that’s where the money is especially that she always puts on the best shows.

12 hours ago, Voguerista said:

Not bad numbers at all so far, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Madonna Gets $10 Million Start on Madame X Tour With Brooklyn Theater Shows

After touring arenas and stadiums for much of the last four decades, Madonna is experimenting with a new format for her live shows, playing mini-residencies in theaters around the world.

The Madame X Tour kicked off with a sold-out 16-show run at Brooklyn’s Howard Gilman Opera House (the theater is one of many facilities at BAM, the Brooklyn Academy of Music). Averaging less than 2,000 seats per night, Madonna played to intimate audiences over the span of a month. According to figures reported to Billboard Boxscore, the shows combined to gross $9.6 million and sold 31,401 tickets.

Broken out by month, Madonna’s nine shows in September grossed $5.5 million (17,708 tickets), followed by seven shows from Oct. 1-12 that earned $4.1 million (13,693 tickets). That averages out to $601,985 and 1,963 tickets per show.

Playing such intimate shows means that the extended stay at each venue is necessary in order to capture the wide-ranging audience that Madonna has previously been able to reach in just one or two shows per city. Her last venture in New York was a two-show stint at Madison Square Garden, where she grossed $5.2 million and sold 28,371 tickets on the 2015-16 Rebel Heart Tour. Further, she hit Yankee Stadium on Sept. 6 and 8, 2012, pulling in $12.6 million from 79,775 tickets -- more than twice the attendance of her 2019 theater run, playing one-eighth of the shows.

Tickets for the new tour ranged from $757 on the high end to $50. Based on the New York stint’s final figures, the average ticket sold for $306.73 -- a sharp increase from her career average of $115.81. For a more comparative look, excluding the 1980s and '90s before ticketing exploded in the new millennium, Madonna averaged $125.46 in the 2000s and $147.33 in the current decade. Averaging as many as 41,000 fans per night on the 2008-09 Sticky & Sweet Tour, Madonna had the flexibility of charging a more reasonable ticket. But with fewer than 2,000 tickets to sell each night in 2019, she’s experimenting with higher prices.

Though reports through Madonna’s 1993 The Girlie Show World Tour remain incomplete, the Queen of Pop has racked up an incredible $1.3 billion gross from 11.5 million tickets over 516 reported shows, making her the second highest-grossing soloist in the history of Billboard Boxscore (she is the highest-grossing female artist, while Bruce Springsteen is No. 1 overall).

The Madame X Tour continues with seven dates in Chicago through Oct. 28, followed by multi-show runs in six additional U.S. cities and three European legs. With about 75 shows to go, smart math projects the tour to wrap in the $50 million-$55 million range. But as many of the upcoming venues are larger than the theater at BAM (Chicago Theatre holds 3,500 and The Colosseum at Caesars Palace tops 4,000 seats), the final gross could stretch past $60 million before its March 8, 2020, close at Paris’ Le Grand Rex.

No, the theatre expensive tickets idea isn't paying for now. Even though the show cost is muuuuch lower than her usual ... but not big numbers at all anyway. It's all about intimacy this time, also her earnings  :Madonna033:

16 hours ago, digitalfreaknyc said:

Shock horror at your comment saying how its so unsold and tons of tickets left ..Madonna still raking that money in my dearest fellow madonna fan lol - no matter how hard you try and call this tour a failure the figures are right there staring at you in your face - does it burn ? pressed

Edited by bobby smith (see edit history)

6 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

My thoughts exactly. I don’t think $10m is anything to be proud of especially how every show had tickets for sale up until the last minute. NYC is the longest run for the tour, and Chicago even has front row seats for sale until now, not to mention the discounts.

Madonna has achieved far more than this before and she should’ve really stuck with arenas and stadiums, because that’s where the money is especially that she always puts on the best shows.

how can you say that 10 million is nothing to be proud of lol ...she does not want to do stadium or arena tours this time around as she cant go on at 11 pm doing that can she - she made madame x album for the theater and as much as digitalnyc likes to say (wishes)she did not do this show in fear a arena show would not sell out she did it because she fancied a change and well she can go on stage late without being cut off due to curfew too 

Yeah, this show was designed to be on a much smaller scale.  No one from her camp expected her to break records with this tour.  She just wanted a small intimate tour.  She got it.  Still, $10 Million dollars is nothing to laugh about. That's a lot of money for just the one city. 

14 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

Yeah, this show was designed to be on a much smaller scale.  No one from her camp expected her to break records with this tour.  She just wanted a small intimate tour.  She got it.  Still, $10 Million dollars is nothing to laugh about. That's a lot of money for just the one city. 

she already broke them records ...i'm sure she will be able to pay her rent with what she makes from the tour lol if she really wanted to get lots of money it would be to do a greatest hits tour in a theater i think this is what she will possibly do next especially as the theater allows her to come on at all times when she wants lol ...I don't know but i feel she chose theater so she could come on late and not have the threat of being switched off like on rebel heart tour and yes it is the kind of thing Madonna would do - if theater kicked her out or switched her off at 11 pm or whatever time curfew is in a stadium i don't even think Madonna would be touring 

Just now, bobby smith said:

she already broke them records ...im sure she will be able to pay her rent with what she makes from the tour lol 

I agree.  I'm not sure why anyone was expecting that she was going to make a lot a money from this tour?  Like you mentioned, she already broke those records.  I don't think she really went into this tour, thinking about making records amount of money.

11 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

I agree.  I'm not sure why anyone was expecting that she was going to make a lot a money from this tour?  Like you mentioned, she already broke those records.  I don't think she really went into this tour, thinking about making records amount of money.

She went into this tour to finish a contract - didn't she even say this on the tour - its not a coincidence that theater allow her to go on so late ...she would have known this before she even signed up to do the shows lol i am just happy its getting well received by fans and critics and i pray she does not cancel the entire tour as i fear certain members here wish that would happen ..lol ...prob because they are fans of a certain somebody who is like queen of cancellations 

so fingers crossed she finishes this tour even if its not 100 percent sold out 

57 minutes ago, bobby smith said:

She went into this tour to finish a contract - didn't she even say this on the tour - its not a coincidence that theater allow her to go on so late ...she would have known this before she even signed up to do the shows lol i am just happy its getting well received by fans and critics and i pray she does not cancel the entire tour as i fear certain members here wish that would happen ..lol ...prob because they are fans of a certain somebody who is like queen of cancellations 

so fingers crossed she finishes this tour even if its not 100 percent sold out 

She's not going to cancel this tour.  Some people are just over reacting about it.  She'll finish it out.  Though, I will say this; if she plans to cancel every opening city night, she might want to make a special video about it, because I can understand how it can be upsetting to some fans, especially those who planned those nights.  It doesn't bode well as people might fear to buy tickets any first night in the future. 

This tour is clearly a "fan's tour".  Most are willing to overlook the lateness and other issues that popped up along the way.  Those who are complaining the most are those who haven't gone to the show.   Even those who originally complained about some of the ridiculous high ticket prices and lateness, who ended up going to a show, still raved about the show. 

13 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

She's not going to cancel this tour.  Some people are just over reacting about it.  She'll finish it out.  Though, I will say this; if she plans to cancel every opening city night, she might want to make a special video about it, because I can understand how it can be upsetting to some fans, especially those who planned those nights.  It doesn't bode well as people might fear to buy tickets any first night in the future. 

This tour is clearly a "fan's tour".  Most are willing to overlook the lateness and other issues that popped up along the way.  Those who are complaining the most are those who haven't gone to the show.   Even those who originally complained about some of the ridiculous high ticket prices and lateness, who ended up going to a show, still raved about the show. 

i agree no wonder guy looked so knackered in that video clip she posted she must be a nightmare to manage because its always her way or no way and i loved his sarcastic jibe he put to her on instagram about her lateness ..he knows it will effect her business she thinks shes untouchable or maybe she just does not care ...prob that she just does not care to be honest but she should care if her fans are anxious about the tour like you said if she wants to continue touring - the album even seemed like a " fuck it " move although i loved it ..its clearly amercian life part 2  which is not very commercial - her not even posting about these postponed shows or changes apart from the injury shows that she feels its not her fault and that she should not apologize for it lol ...its live nations fault ...prob guy osearys too ...im kinda hoping after this era is over she gets a new manager 

1 minute ago, bobby smith said:

i agree no wonder guy looked so knackered in that video clip she posted she must be a nightmare to manage because its always her way or no way and i loved his sarcastic jibe he put to her on instagram about her lateness ..he knows it will effect her business she thinks shes untouchable or maybe she just does not care ...prob that she just does not care to be honest 

Unfortunately, I think that might be a problem for her future tours if she continues that attitude.  I love she has a "I don't give a fuck attitude", and I suppose she knows that she only has a few more big tours ahead of her.  Her fan base is pretty big, so most are willing to overlook and expect it.  But it's going to be hard to fill a future stadium or arena unless she starts earlier in the future. 

7 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

Unfortunately, I think that might be a problem for her future tours if she continues that attitude.  I love she has a "I don't give a fuck attitude", and I suppose she knows that she only has a few more big tours ahead of her.  Her fan base is pretty big, so most are willing to overlook and expect it.  But it's going to be hard to fill a future stadium or arena unless she starts earlier in the future. 

possibly the lateness now that its posted that it will start late is not bothering me so much i just dont want to be sat around waiting for hours and hours and who would ? so it advertised to start at half 10 now and she comes on at 11 ish ...half a hour late is not so bad ...i would love to hear a phone convo with guy and madonna over her lateness 

guy "madonna this lateness needs to stop " 

Madonna " im not changing my fucking show "

10 minutes ago, bobby smith said:

possibly the lateness now that its posted that it will start late is not bothering me so much i just dont want to be sat around waiting for hours and hours and who would ? so it advertised to start at half 10 now and she comes on at 11 ish ...half a hour late is not so bad ...i would love to hear a phone convo with guy and madonna over her lateness 

guy "madonna this lateness needs to stop " 

Madonna " im not changing my fucking show "

The lateness was an issue with me at first, but now that she's addressing it with a time change, it's a bit more forgivable.  Most fans are willing to overlook it and plan accordingly anyway.  Where this issue will end up being a problem, will be on any future tour that she's aiming to attract more casual fans.  It's easy to say; "don't like it! Don't go!", but that will end up happening if she continues these late arrivals in bigger stage shows in the future.  Which will only make it harder and harder for her to sell out at shows.  We've already started seeing it happening.  Her demand is unfortunately wearing thin even for hardcore fans.

4 hours ago, bobby smith said:

how can you say that 10 million is nothing to be proud of lol ...she does not want to do stadium or arena tours this time around as she cant go on at 11 pm doing that can she - she made madame x album for the theater and as much as digitalnyc likes to say (wishes)she did not do this show in fear a arena show would not sell out she did it because she fancied a change and well she can go on stage late without being cut off due to curfew too 

Because most of the shows weren't sold out so far and judging by her past numbers, she grossed way more than that and I know this is a theater not a stadium, yet most shows have an abundance of tickets left, some even have front row until now for sale, not resale and many prices were lowered so far due to demand not being as expected. Also, I we don't know for sure if she really wanted to do small venues or if Live Nation just didn't give her the budget for a bigger show.

As for appearing at 11 PM, the solution would be to appear on time rather than to lose the chance of making $200m just because she somehow forced by an invisible force to only appear at 11 PM. She's been touring for ages and she sometimes came late, but it never stopped her from making stadium and arena tours, so this isn't an excuse really.

56 minutes ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

Because most of the shows weren't sold out so far and judging by her past numbers, she grossed way more than that and I know this is a theater not a stadium, yet most shows have an abundance of tickets left, some even have front row until now for sale, not resale and many prices were lowered so far due to demand not being as expected. Also, I we don't know for sure if she really wanted to do small venues or if Live Nation just didn't give her the budget for a bigger show.

As for appearing at 11 PM, the solution would be to appear on time rather than to lose the chance of making $200m just because she somehow forced by an invisible force to only appear at 11 PM. She's been touring for ages and she sometimes came late, but it never stopped her from making stadium and arena tours, so this isn't an excuse really.

Please screencap where you see front row seats being sold at face value? I would like to grab some. I mean, seriously!!! :Madonna033:

5 minutes ago, truerebel said:

Please screencap where you see front row seats being sold at face value? I would like to grab some. I mean, seriously!!! :Madonna033:

This morning on Madonna’s Rebel Army Facebook group, they were posting screenshots of many unsold tickets in Chicago Oct 24 and 28. You can check for yourself if you’re so interested. Can’t guarantee they weren’t sold till now. 

I think Bruce Springsteen's On Broadway tour would be a good comparison in terms of the scale and intentions of this tour.

Springsteen amassed $113,058,952 form 236 shows in 2018, averaging $479,063 per show. Not to shabby!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springsteen_on_Broadway

At present, M is averaging $601,985 per show, but as already noted by others above, that number could've been higher as we know every show isn't selling out, and some tickets are reportedly being sold under face value. 

That said, Live Nation, Guy Oseary and M clearly know what they're doing - the price of tickets, intimate venues, set list and showtimes are only likely to appeal to those most ardent and committed fans. This is not the Sticky & Sweet Tour, designed to sweep the most amount of money by appealing to the broadest and largest audience possible.

It's an experimental tour, within an already incredibly commercially successful career. So far the reaction to the show itself has been overwhelmingly positive, even if the process of buying tickets has been an endurance test for far too many fans!

For some further comparisons, Janet Jackson averaged $448,030 per show, for 79 dates, and an unconfirmed total of $42.3 million, during her 2017-19 State of the World Tour, which was a far more comprehensive greatest hits tour, playing mostly arenas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_the_World_Tour

Mariah Carey took her last album Caution on tour playing 34 dates to a reported $7.4 million gross*, playing theatres similar in size to Madame X.

*8 dates are missing from Wikipedia, and gross for festival dates are not included.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caution_World_Tour

Madame X won't be the commercial high-point of M's career, but that's fine - it was never intended to be - but it's already being noted as a creative stand-out.

& if M ever wanted to go big and rake in the most amount of cash possible, she could easily do what Springsteen did in 2016 with the River Tour - a 35th Anniversary revival tour for his 1980 album The River. Imagine if M did a 2020 30th Anniversary tour of the Immaculate Collection. The general public would go nuts for it! It would easily be the biggest tour of her career.

But maybe that's just not her style... 

Either way, it's great to hear so many positive reviews of Madame X, and taking these kinds of commercial and creative risks can only reflect positively on her legacy as an artist. Go M!

22 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

This morning on Madonna’s Rebel Army Facebook group, they were posting screenshots of many unsold tickets in Chicago Oct 24 and 28. You can check for yourself if you’re so interested. Can’t guarantee they weren’t sold till now. 

Trust me, I check regularly and have NEVER seen any front row seats available at face value. So, check facts before you take something off facebook and spread rumors. 

9 hours ago, truerebel said:

Trust me, I check regularly and have NEVER seen any front row seats available at face value. So, check facts before you take something off facebook and spread rumors. 

I did check and I did find a front row ticket in one of those dates. I don't know how much "face value" exactly is, but the tickets weren't listed as resell but from Ticketmaster. Maybe you missed them. Also you can still find an abundance of tickets in every date, not necessarily front row but many are unsold. 

18 minutes ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I did check and I did find a front row ticket in one of those dates. I don't know how much "face value" exactly is, but the tickets weren't listed as resell but from Ticketmaster. Maybe you missed them. Also you can still find an abundance of tickets in every date, not necessarily front row but many are unsold. 

i think they were platinum tickets