Voguerista

Was "Medellin" the right song to lead Madame X with?

I've heard several of you say you didn't think "Medellin" was the right song to lead Madonna's new album with, but, I don't understand why? Could you explain? Also, if not "Medellin", which song would you have chose?

I thought this song was the perfect choice for the first single. I'll never forget my first thought after hearing it. I thought, "OMG, she's BACK!!" and the video just sealed it that much more (for me). It's everything I hoped for in dance, fun, and romance. I thought the cinematic production, story, and filming were pure brilliance and beautiful. I also think the "Cha Cha Cha" line and the red eye patch, her black skirt and tie will end up being an iconic look for her from this era. The perfect, curious intro to a complex and completely different and theatrical album full of both dark and light ...not to mention political, different and crazy.

So, what are your thoughts?

I never tire of watching this...

I agree@Voguerista. After hearing the entire album I think it was the perfect choice. It's dancey and fun and sensual. It gives me the relaxed vibes of Who's that Girl. Sets the tone of the album with talk of taking a trip. 

I think the promotion could have gone a few ways with this album though. For instance I could have also seen her lead with Killers to kind of set a more serious tone with a quick follow up with Dark Ballet and then immediately following Future. 

What's exciting to me though is that she seems to have thrown the old formula out the window with only releasing radio friendly songs as singles and I can't wait to see what this means for the future projects. 

No. None of the tracks on the album have any real commercial appeal, but she would have probably got a bit more promo and publicity had a track like God Control been the first 'single'. Medellin was a great first release in those markets where this particular type of music is more popular (and where Maluma is known), but in other markets, it fell flat

Spotify numbers says it all

Madame X (Deluxe) 113.108.795

Medellín (with Maluma) 39.672.719
Dark Ballet 4.302.296
God Control 4.638.973
Future (with Quavo) 7.506.362
Batuka 2.577.409
Killers Who Are Partying 2.370.543
Crave (with Swae Lee) 8.287.779
Crazy 3.582.830
Come Alive 2.308.488
Extreme Occident 2.037.461
Faz Gostoso (feat. Anitta) 22.168.056
Bitch I’m Loca (feat. Maluma) 3.556.774
I Don’t Search I Find 2.629.921
Looking For Mercy 2.101.891
I Rise 5.367.293

It didn't catch me at first and thought "Well, that was a disappointment" since her working with Maluma was so ugh. I know you guys like him but I'm in the minority. The thing about Medellin is it's a grower for sure and while it isn't instant as her other lead singles, the melody and lyrics definitely take resident in your brain.

The video made me love it seeing the personas an beautiful scenery rather than studio as other songs have been in the past and the remixes are pretty good as well. I thought after hearing the rest of the album that it wasn't a good lead too but now I feel it was perfect. The opening line "I took a pill and had a dream" for sure readies us for the fun, the serious and the urgency of the record all over the world. Right after it ends we're dealt with Dark Ballet, God Control etc. It's akin to Dita introduces us to her and sexuality, as this is Madame X taking us on a trip.

The album is quite diverse in sound, so I am not sure any song would have had a world wide appeal.  Medellin was more safe than most other songs.  Though, from the popularity of Faz Gostoso, it may have been the better choice, especially if there was a fire video with it.  I'm sure they had no idea this song would do as well as it did. Most of it's in the Latin market, but I'm sure the appeal could have broaden with a killer video.  Other than that, I'm not sure any other song would have done any better than Medellin.  Crave's potential is there, but since current top 40 radio refuses to play her new stuff, she's only left to the adult pop stations which aren't regarded highly when it comes to success for songs.  To me, it seems Madonna and her team are successfully aiming for what they know she will chart well with on the dance charts.  I love how she is slowly rolling out these remixes.  It's extending the life of this era, specifically for the fans.  

No. It totally killed the album before it even began. It wasn’t a bad song but her rent-a-popular-young-talent is no longer working especially that the song wasn’t the “comeback” people were hoping for nor. It’s an ok song but not a great one neither by her or Maluma’s standards, and somehow she wouldn’t stop this trend. She keeps renting popular young artists and expecting the song to do well without much effort to actually make it a good song.

Had the era premiered with God Control at Eurovision without anything before but the mysterious teasing, and the tour tickets and album launch happened the next day or a week later, it would’ve been groundbreaking or at least significantly better than the underwhelming Billboard performance that she wasted $5m on for nothing and never trended anywhere nor did the song chart even on iTunes. 

I still believe Madame X should have been a visual album like 'Beyonce' by Beyonce. 

The days of a single launching an album are long gone. I feel people really want an experience more when they listen to an album. 

Yet selecting lead singles has always been a game of Russian roulette. Which one would trigger interest and which one would kill interest. Bedtime Stories is a good example. Secret is a great song, yet Take A Bow had the biggest audience appeal. Leading with TAB and then releasing Secret and then probably Forbidden Love and Human Nature etc... would have generated more interest IMO. 

Medellín was solid. There was hype for it at least here in L.A. for a little moment. Though I think it was a little bit of “Maluma/Latin wave” bandwagonning, I still was very excited for it since I’m into Latin pop/reggaetón/Latin music in general.

Here’s my mini review: 

What I didn’t like were the thin super relaxed vocals from Madonna, as opposed to Maluma’s somewhat strong vocals in the chorus. I do love how she sings the “And I woke up in Medellín” part. I don’t like how it’s calm then chaotic then calmer/quiet then boom, fiesta! Lol I do love how it’s layered and not traditionally reggaetón-sounding — it’s more electro-dance-Latin pop, lots of layers and little sounds. The melody on the chorus is heavenly tbh (“Si te enamorooooooo....”) and it’s actually sweet what Maluma is singing to M, and vice versa. I really just love the melody on the chorus. 1-2-cha cha cha is definitely a hook!

Overall, the song gives me positivity, hope, joyfulness, love, beautiful union vibes, and for some reason I picture a huge caravan of camels and wagons with Gypsies going on a huge trip somewhere — drinking and dancing all the way. “Medellín” is a celebration of love, dance, and freedom. So yes, a solid introduction to Madame X.

The music video is another discussion. Let’s just say it’s as if I took a psychedelic and had an even more heightened appreciation for the song. 

4.5 stars for “Medellín” for me! 

¡No’ vamo’ pa’ Medallo!

On 10/29/2019 at 4:49 AM, Askeroff said:

Spotify numbers says it all

Madame X (Deluxe) 113.108.795

Medellín (with Maluma) 39.672.719
Dark Ballet 4.302.296
God Control 4.638.973
Future (with Quavo) 7.506.362
Batuka 2.577.409
Killers Who Are Partying 2.370.543
Crave (with Swae Lee) 8.287.779
Crazy 3.582.830
Come Alive 2.308.488
Extreme Occident 2.037.461
Faz Gostoso (feat. Anitta) 22.168.056
Bitch I’m Loca (feat. Maluma) 3.556.774
I Don’t Search I Find 2.629.921
Looking For Mercy 2.101.891
I Rise 5.367.293

Wow Faz is so high.  I think it was the perfect choice. If we were back in the days before radio got all ageist it would have been a smash and I think we would have got Faz as a single due to the success of that.  It kinda follows a similiar path. But I do agree with what someone said above if God Control was the first single it would have probably made more headlines because it really smacks you in the face sonically and visually

But God Control DID get released with a full-on video AND make the headlines. Great for M’s message, but it didn’t really make much of a difference for the album’s campaign, did it?

Aren’t we now at the point where whatever the lead single is, it simply does not matter? M has her core base that will get her to number 1 or 2 in the global album charts for the first or second week of release. Hardly any artist gets the traction now to make much of an impact culturally.

I really enjoy Medellin but its impact was probably as good as it was ever going to get for MX.

3 hours ago, Kieran said:

But God Control DID get released with a full-on video AND make the headlines. Great for M’s message, but it didn’t really make much of a difference for the album’s campaign, did it?

Aren’t we now at the point where whatever the lead single is, it simply does not matter? M has her core base that will get her to number 1 or 2 in the global album charts for the first or second week of release. Hardly any artist gets the traction now to make much of an impact culturally.

I really enjoy Medellin but its impact was probably as good as it was ever going to get for MX.

It's a shame we didn't get mixes (or yet) for God Control but agreed with your post.

I wish Medellin was beefed up more like the remixes. It's not that bad of a song. But for first singles, especially in these times, you need to go with a bang. God Control or Fat Azz would have been fun. Heck, I think Come Alive could have been a cute first single.