Order of Erotica demos

Fabiolous

So there are quite a few different demos of the songs Erotica. What's the consensus on which one came before which?

We have:

- Love hurts

- Erotic

- You thrill me

I think maybe it started as Love hurts and then she split if into two different songs? One became Erotic and one became You thrill me and later Erotica

3 minutes ago, Enrico said:

I think Erotic is the last one, released with Sex book, just an alternate version of Erotica with different lyrics.

So it goes:

Love hurts

You thrill me

Erotica/Erotic

But the lyrics to Erotic are featured in Love hurts ? she must have ditched them and then decided to use them for the extra song

As far as I'm aware, the song was never called You Thrill Me. The Rain Tapes always referred to it as Erotica. The chorus changed from the 'You thrill me' lyrics in the rough version to the 'Erotica' lyrics in the final version. 

And the chorus was clearly changed quite late on as the MAW remixes feature the line 'I'm so in love with you' from the original chorus.

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

As far as I'm aware, the song was never called You Thrill Me. The Rain Tapes always referred to it as Erotica. The chorus changed from the 'You thrill me' lyrics in the rough version to the 'Erotica' lyrics in the final version. 

And the chorus was clearly changed quite late on as the MAW remixes feature the line 'I'm so in love with you' from the original chorus.

And thanks to god she changed the chorus ????????
“you thrill me” only worked on the Confessions Tour

57 minutes ago, Angelo said:

And thanks to god she changed the chorus ????????
“you thrill me” only worked on the Confessions Tour

It is an interesting turn of a phrase as the Erotica lyrics make it more about her being in control, what she wants to do to "you" whereas You Thrill Me puts it all on the unidentified "you" and what "you" do. Changes the whole context with just one phrase.  I honestly love all versions in their own special way. Love Hurts fuckin' bops hard. 

I think that the correct order for Erotica demos is this:

-Love Hurts
-Erotica (Instrumental Demo)
-Erotica (Rough Mix - 1992.01.15)
-Erotica (Final Demo 1 - 1992.01.16)
-Erotica (Final Demo 2 - 1992.01.16)
-Erotica (Album Version / Pre-Final Mix)
-Erotic (Erotica Final Mix included on the SEX Book CD)

@L-U-V

17 minutes ago, Monsieur Hugo X said:

-Love Hurts

@L-U-V

Checking out the Erotica entry on Wikipeida, it seems the order could be more like:

-Love Hurts
-Erotica (Instrumental Demo) - prepared by Shep as one of four tracks he presented to Madonna
-Erotic (included on the SEX Book CD)

From Wikipedia:

While they were mixing a song called "Erotic", which was released as promotional single on her Sex book, Pettibone recalled:

"You have all these great stories in the book," I told her, "Why don't you use them in the song?" I knew that Madonna was developing a 1930s dominatrix look for Erotica, but I didn't realize how far she was willing to go before I saw Sex. It contained stories authored by her mysteriously dark alter [ego], Dita. Madonna took the book and walked out of the room and didn't come back until about half an hour later. Suddenly she was on the mic, speaking in this very dry voice. "My name is Dita," she said, "and I'll be your mistress tonight." I knew that the original "Erotica" would never be the same again, and it wasn't. The chorus and bridge were changed entirely and the whole psyche of the song became sexier, more to the point. It seemed as if Dita brought out the best in her, actually serving as a vehicle for the dangerous territory she was traveling. Actually, it was the same name Madonna used when she'd stay in hotels around the world. Not anymore.[6]

Anyone on here like Marleen Kane, Donna Summer etc ?

The word 'Suite' on some of their records usually means a side long medley.

Where one song ''sorta'' changes into another or actually does.

Like on the MacArthur Park Suite.

A V long winded way to ask if anyone has blended all the versions of this tune ?

Side 1 of an imaginary album...anyone ?

I may have a go myself. ?

2 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Checking out the Erotica entry on Wikipeida, it seems the order could be more like:

-Love Hurts
-Erotica (Instrumental Demo) - prepared by Shep as one of four tracks he presented to Madonna
-Erotic (included on the SEX Book CD)

From Wikipedia:

While they were mixing a song called "Erotic", which was released as promotional single on her Sex book, Pettibone recalled:

"You have all these great stories in the book," I told her, "Why don't you use them in the song?" I knew that Madonna was developing a 1930s dominatrix look for Erotica, but I didn't realize how far she was willing to go before I saw Sex. It contained stories authored by her mysteriously dark alter [ego], Dita. Madonna took the book and walked out of the room and didn't come back until about half an hour later. Suddenly she was on the mic, speaking in this very dry voice. "My name is Dita," she said, "and I'll be your mistress tonight." I knew that the original "Erotica" would never be the same again, and it wasn't. The chorus and bridge were changed entirely and the whole psyche of the song became sexier, more to the point. It seemed as if Dita brought out the best in her, actually serving as a vehicle for the dangerous territory she was traveling. Actually, it was the same name Madonna used when she'd stay in hotels around the world. Not anymore.[6]

Two tiny things....

Wikipedia is not facts.

There's several News Stories now about how in some countries what's on it has been manipulated by crooks or just crooked governments.

People are dying over it.

Isn't the Love Hurts version from just before she worked with Shep Pettibone ?

Vasquez and Pettibone seem to trying to claim a bit more credit for the track ??

4 hours ago, Monsieur Hugo X said:

-Love Hurts

@L-U-V

Straight Pass?

9 hours ago, DickTracy said:

To me it seemed Love Hurts and You Thrill Me were demos that came together as Erotica. Maybe she noticed the pleasure and pain theme of both songs and correlated it with Erotic lyrics?

It was always titled Erotica, not You Thrill Me. We have articles written by the guy who was first report on the demos by going to the Library of Congress and listening to them. Then we have Shep Pettibone's own diaries. Erotic was the last thing she recorded, I believe according to him. It was done just for the book. The album had the title "The Girlie Show" before she settled on "Erotica". 

9 hours ago, professormouse said:

Two tiny things....

Wikipedia is not facts.

There's several News Stories now about how in some countries what's on it has been manipulated by crooks or just crooked governments.

People are dying over it.

Isn't the Love Hurts version from just before she worked with Shep Pettibone ?

Vasquez and Pettibone seem to trying to claim a bit more credit for the track ??

Firstly, it's pretty reliable in certain circumstances; I think crooks and governments have got better information to change than Madonna's discography FFS. 

Secondly, the quote is from The Erotica Diaries written by Shep so yes, it's reliable. And yes, Junior worked on Love Hurts before Shep worked on Erotica. The thread is about what was the evolution of the song so I don't see what the problem is? Love Hurts clearly went on to become Erotica.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:34 PM, MarXus said:

So is it safe to say "You Thrill Me" came together after Love Hurts and Erotica demos, possibly a reworked version for the tour? 

I've no idea.
More than likely [since it was in demo stage] that it had a few 'virgins' lyrically.
Shep Pettibone has said that after she'd came back to recording it, the Dita persona had suddenly appeared.
''Why don't you sing/say some of the stuff from your book ?" :thinker:
Junior Vasquez's totally accidental 'leak' of an earlier go at it shows that is just hype or Something.
Though they are both sorta implying they had more to do with it.
Who's the Diva ?

So is it safe to say "You Thrill Me" came together after Love Hurts and Erotica demos, possibly a reworked version for the tour? 

On 10/31/2019 at 9:20 AM, jonski43 said:

Firstly, it's pretty reliable in certain circumstances; I think crooks and governments have got better information to change than Madonna's discography FFS. 

Secondly, the quote is from The Erotica Diaries written by Shep so yes, it's reliable. And yes, Junior worked on Love Hurts before Shep worked on Erotica. The thread is about what was the evolution of the song so I don't see what the problem is? Love Hurts clearly went on to become Erotica.

I have never denied a thing you have said.
Wikipedia is NOT written in stone.
There WAS an entry for 'Donna Summer - It's Only Love'.
A Single available only at Target Stores it said.
With a list of all the Remixes done for it.
Some 'fans' on blogs etc did a 'na na na nannaa'...I'VE got a copy And You Don't sorta reply.
HOW could I have missed it I thought ?
I emailed the Producer.
Arocha Morton or something he's called.
No.
Unless the acapella was stolen, there's no way anyone could have done any.
No official mixes were EVER commissioned he added.
He'd heard of this 'mystery single' too.

Little ol' ME changed the wikipedia entry.
It's now been re-written a few times more.
Anyone can.
That's why it's NOT FACTS.
And why some governments fight tooth and nail to control what's written on there.

That's all I said.

• 1 month later...

No, You Thrill Me was the original chorus to Erotica. There's never been an actual song called 'You Thrill Me', it's just two versions of Erotica, the first with the You Thrill Me lyrics, the second with the released lyrics. The confessions version was just a re-worked version of the first demo version of Erotica.

Hope that is clear

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2019 at 2:23 PM, professormouse said:

I have never denied a thing you have said.
Wikipedia is NOT written in stone.
There WAS an entry for 'Donna Summer - It's Only Love'.
A Single available only at Target Stores it said.
With a list of all the Remixes done for it.
Some 'fans' on blogs etc did a 'na na na nannaa'...I'VE got a copy And You Don't sorta reply.
HOW could I have missed it I thought ?
I emailed the Producer.
Arocha Morton or something he's called.
No.
Unless the acapella was stolen, there's no way anyone could have done any.
No official mixes were EVER commissioned he added.
He'd heard of this 'mystery single' too.

Little ol' ME changed the wikipedia entry.
It's now been re-written a few times more.
Anyone can.
That's why it's NOT FACTS.
And why some governments fight tooth and nail to control what's written on there.

That's all I said.

Wow...you're REALLY upset with wikipedia. That Donna Summer misinformation really did a number on you. 

I'm gonna say #1 - He never said wikipedia was FACTS. He said the quote was fact because it's source has been verified. Lifted directly from Shep's Erotica Diaries. Published in Icon magazine and many other places before being quoted on wikipedia. As a matter of fact, the majority of it (including the section reprinted on wikipedia) is in the Madonna biography I'm currently reading (I know, I know, biography doesn't always mean FACTS but at this point we've had enough second, third and fourth sources to verify the authenticity of Shep's diary).

I truly had no clue that Wikipedia was being used by political leaders & countries for nefarious plots, nor did I know it was causing deaths around the world! That's kind of scary. Thank goodness I have managed to stay in the, I guess, Upper East Side of Wiki because I use it regularly and 97% of the time the things I look up are correct. I have absolutely run into things that have turned out to be false or incorrect and I've noticed once or twice people changing things to be mean or funny. But I suppose in most things you'll come across mistakes, errors and flaws. Hopefully Wiki gets a grip on this political intrigue and the fatalities so it cann be a place safe for us all!