Is Madonna sabotaging her touring career?

MarXus

I think this is a legit question!  Madonna relies heavily on being a touring artist.  It's the huge base of her income.  It's apparent that she's been suffering low ticket sales.  Her late starts are a huge deterrent for even a lot of die hard fans.  I know, because I am one of them. I'm a bit turned off by her attitude where she thinks that it's safe to say, "Then don't come to my show!".   Well, that definitely could backfire on her because a lot of fans might just do that.  No one wants to wait around for two hours.  Why should they?  Just because she's known as the "Queen", doesn't mean she should take advantage of her fans or status. It's very unprofessional!  Most jobs would fire anyone who is continuously late as she is.  Not only that, we all know she wouldn't wait around for hours for someone to show up for her.  

I realize that some fans are willing to wait for her. Though, not everyone feels they should have to wait especially when the venues have already alerted ticket holders that the start time is now @ 10:30 pm (later than what is is mentioned on ticket), and then she still manages to come on 2 hours later.  Again, some die hard fans don't care, and that is what she is counting on, but eventually that isn't even acceptable for a lot of avid fans.  Truth be told, that is unprofessional, especially from an artist who is know to be professional in the past, and hold others accountable for being on-time.  

Feel free to add your input to this ever growing concern.  I think it's a valid question among Madonna's career.  Please don't use this topic to attack other members for their opinion.  Be respectful with your reply.  You may not agree with me, but just because you unconditionally love Madonna, means someone like me or another who doesn't agree with you isn't a fan.  Why be here if you're not a fan?  I love Madonna as much as you do. Unfortunately, I'm not fond of Madonna's behavior lately.  I'll always enjoy her as an entertainer, but I do feel like she might be sabotaging her career. 

It's definitely a concern imo. The latest 12-12:30 time just seals this concern that much more. Also...Now that she's starting at midnight, is Live Nation going to change the time again and then she won't start until 2:00? Her attitude is starting to get to me too. I will always love her but ??!!!!

Being that she has poor reviews on Ticketmaster since 2012 with late times (which was usually only an hour or so back then and got progressively worse), her midnight showtimes are only gonna hurt her more. Tremendously more. The general public will catch wind of this and won't buy tickets to see her in the future. Even her own die hard fans - let's be blunt - we're not getting any younger and it's gonna be harder and harder for us to go to these late shows and expect to be standing or dancing throughout the whole show.

Could you imagine if Cher pulled this non-sense nowadays? Her fanbase wouldn't be coming back tour after tour.

It doesn't make sense to me. I don't know how things are behind the scenes but this isn't good for her image as a touring artist which is what they turned her into after that 360 deal. I don't think it's arrogance or an attitude problem, but nowadays even her most hardcore fans are turning their backs. :sad:

Let's be sensible here.  It's not even a question, of course she is sabotaging her touring career.  The point is, she doesn't care.  She doesn't need the money.  She can't really have made it much clearer how much she doesn't care.  This is her last tour with Live Nation.  She doesn't even seem to be really enjoying touring that much (can't really blame her).

It's why it's hilarious to me when people start posting a gazillion posts about how empty this show and that is.  She doesn't care, so why should you?  Are you her accountant or something?  If she wanted the money, she knows how to behave.  Regardless, she's not going to be in the poorhouse tomorrow either...

I'm not one of those saying if you don't like it don't go.  I absolutely understand why people are upset, outraged, etc.  (and I've made it more than clear I'm one of them).  But if you're at the point where you're physically sitting at the show, and it's starting finally, you can at that time either make the choice to try your best to enjoy it as much as possible or condemn yourself and everyone around you to having a guaranteed as shitty night as possible by throwing a tantrum in public.  How you behave in public or whatever "contempt" you show really reflects more on you as a person than whatever Madonna is doing to you.  Freedom's what you do with what's been done to you.

I just want to know what the hell she does backstage before the show. I refuse to believe she's actually back there warming up her vocals and rehearsing dance steps for hours before the show. We get it-she's a night owl but her 30-50 year old fans are not. 

I know she has said countless times that she promises to not a minute goes to waste and she's not just doing her nails and eating chocolates. But c'mon - if there's really that many difficulties with technical issues or even personal issues, just rearrange your damn schedule. Get up 2 hours earlier and be ready by 10pm. You know, like she did before MDNA. 

I have kept a positive attitude about this as a fan but will admit I felt badly for the people in the audience that were falling asleep or had to drive long distances after the show. When she basically said to give her a break because of her chest cold, knee and tendinitis I did feel bad for her - maybe she was debating cancelling the show but went on anyway feeling horrible. Would it have been worse for the audience to have it cancelled last minute or for her to go on 1 1/2 hour late, who knows. She doesn’t want to admit she needs to slow down and maybe she doesn’t but I feel that her insomnia and poor sleeping habits are taking it’s toll.

oh one thing I thought was crazy were the twins on stage that late!

This just came to me today. I think M has an interesting concept with touring small venues and re-inventing touring for artists and I get a gut instinct her vision is light years ahead of everyone else. Yet there's no venues suitable for small live rock music theatrical performances for what she wants to put on. Even the venues for Las Vegas residency shows aren't that suitable.

Perhaps M needs to work with architects, designers etc... to create a venue for the type of performance she wants to create. 

31 minutes ago, Enrico said:

Because we wish her a long career, with many more albums and many more tours.

We want her to be successful, and maybe have another it, so it's embarassing to think Madame X sold half of the copies Rebel Heart did. It went to number one because copies were linked to tour tickets, but it disappeared in one week. And I live in Italy - where she is not coming on tour but where I keep hearing her new songs on the radio!

We want her legacy to be recognized by public and critics, but this us not realky happening.

Because I can't get out of my head September 4, 1987, when more than 14 millions of Italians sat in front on their tv to watch her live from Turin, and everyone loved her. And I'm not happy to read about people booing, or how she couldn't connect with the audience and was nasty with them. It can't be just ten diehard fans with an eyepatch.

I don't care if Madame X sells. It stills exists...just to comment on that one note. 

Madonna can sabatoge her touring career by not touring and that would save her a lot of time and effort. I mean...was she forced into a contract? 

I agree that Madonna earlier in her career would not be so unprofessional. Madonna often backed up what she expected of others by expecting the same thing of herself. She would never tolerate lateness from others but she in turn would would stay on schedule....am I correct? 

I am confused by the late starts.I have absolutely no explanation towards what I think. Does she need to go on tour? I do not know. 

If she is starting at 12:30 now after the venue is saying 10:30...it just doesn't resonate with me. I don't get it and I feel like I usually get her rebellions. I think I mentioned it before, the venue should state her start time will 6:30 pm...but what is this all about??? I mean it's all so silly. 

She can do whatever she wants and venues can decide if they want to have her perform there again and fans can decide if they want to buy a ticket. We all have choices. 

Totally. But not only touring, but her own brand. When she came on really late on the Rebel Heart Tour in Brisbane, a lot of the audience were general public. Madonna hadn't toured Australia in 23 years or something, but to come on at 11:30pm on a Sunday night with the tickets showing 8:30pm did not go down well.

So I think it's also damaging her brand. Us Hardcore fans don't care - but it's the general public that do.

The Mainstream Press have it in for her.
They never needed much of an excuse in the past so turning up that late will only fuel it more.
Sometimes her albums/singles etc have been such a hit that they had to begrudgingly admit that she was doing Something right at least.
I remember her 'turning the air blue' headlines years ago when She Effed away about lip-synching 'live' on-stage ?
The audience ROARED with support !
This isn't back then. :thinker:

Edited by professormouse (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, professormouse said:

The Mainstream Press have it in for her.
They never needed much of an excuse in the past so turning up that late will only fuel it more.
Sometimes her albums/singles etc have been such a hit that they had to begrudgingly admit that she was doing Something right at least.
I remember her 'turning the air blue' headlines years ago when She Effed away about lip-synching 'live' on-stage ?
The audience ROARED with support !
This isn't back then. :thinker:

"People ignore older women." The fact of the matter is people are only seeing Madonna's age and not seeing her anymore. "That's a fact." I don't care what anyone says.

The most liberal minded people on the planet are sexist but they don't know it because it's pretty damn exceptable to be so. The only thing you have to do is just don't go around saying you're sexist. 

Of course I know intellectually that women still are who they are no matter what age they are but having a large portion of the population dismissing your existence can be even more of a downer then dismissing your abilties. 

I am going off topic but I am thinking of the difference of then and now as far as audience reaction to what a woman says or does. 

2 minutes ago, LikeAMelody said:

"People ignore older women." The fact of the matter is people are only seeing Madonna's age and not seeing her anymore. "That's a fact." I don't care what anyone says.

The most liberal minded people on the planet are sexist but they don't know it because it's pretty damn exceptable to be so. The only thing you have to do is just don't go around saying you're sexist. 

Of course I know intellectually that women still are who they are no matter what age they are but having a large portion of the population dismissing your existence can be even more of a downer then dismissing your abilties. 

I am going off topic but I am thinking of the difference of then and now as far as audience reaction to what a woman says or does. 

I'am not at all sexist.
That is a feeble and frankly insulting argument.
You can't use age as an excuse for being unprofessional.
If you start off with the belief that anyone who says they aren't something automatically IS...
Then you will ALWAYS be correct.

28 minutes ago, professormouse said:

I'am not at all sexist.
That is a feeble and frankly insulting argument.
You can't use age as an excuse for being unprofessional.
If you start off with the belief that anyone who says they aren't something automatically IS...
Then you will ALWAYS be correct.

I was not referring to you at all. I was responding to what you said about an " audience roaring in laughter." I was talking about the general population and how I observe thier treatment of older women. 

There is a line in an Alanis Morissette song that say's "it's not fair to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me." As far as sexism goes I feel that line very strongly. Any complaints by women, especially older ones, will be dismissed. 

I went off topic but I wanted to point out that what people found fun or attractive about Madonna has become null and void because of her age and not what she is doing wrong. 

I stand by the public's overwhelming acceptence of sexism alongside claiming it doesn't exist. 

You seemed to be pondering an audience's reaction then and now. That is what I was responding to. 

6 minutes ago, LikeAMelody said:

I was not referring to you at all. I was responding to what you said about an " audience roaring in laughter." I was talking about the general population and how I observe thier treatment of older women. 

There is a line in an Alanis Morissette song that say's "it's not fair to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me." As far as sexism goes I feel that line very strongly. Any complaints will be dismissed. 

I went off topic but I wanted to point out that what people found fun or attractive about Madonna has become null and void because of her age and not what she is doing wrong. 

I stand by the public's overwhelming acceptence of sexism alongside claiming it doesn't exist. 

You seemed to be pondering an audience's reaction then and now. That is what I was responding to. 

Do me a huge favour and just block me.
 " audience roaring in laughter." 
IN SUPPORT !
Alanis Morissette = You are kidding.
It was a guy who helped her turn her diary into That Album.
So not ALL are automatically sexist.
Never mind her being grammatically WRONG with her 'song' Ironic.
Nothing she says actually Is.

Learn to let go....Madge has just said here. 
Bye !

Edited by professormouse (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, professormouse said:

Do me a huge favour and just block me.
 " audience roaring in laughter." 
IN SUPPORT !
Alanis Morissette = You are kidding.
It was a guy who helped her turn her diary into That Album.
So not ALL are automatically sexist.
Never mind her being grammatically WRONG with her 'song' Ironic.
Nothing she says actually Is.

Learn to let go....Madge has just said hear. 
Bye !

I seem to be caught up in an argument I am not aware of so I let go before I made the first post. 

I know the audience had more patience for a younger Madonna. 

The line in the Alanis song like many lines can mean that for me as music and words can have different meanings for different people. 

All I can do is apologize to you for obviously upsetting you but I already said that I was not speaking of you as an individual. 

6 minutes ago, LikeAMelody said:

I seem to be caught up in an argument I am not aware of so I let go before I made the first post. 

The line in the Alanis song like many lines can mean that for me as music and words can have different meanings for different people. 

All I can do is apologize to you for obviously upsetting you but I already said that I was not speaking of you as an individual. 

" Madonna can sabatoge her touring career by not touring and that would save her a lot of time and effort. I mean...was she forced into a contract?  "

...that would save her a lot of time and effort.

People paid lots of their hard earned CA$H to see this Madonna they have read about/liked/loved and supported financially over the years.
What they seem to have got is someone who appears to have been half-arsed about being A Singer/Performer.

What don't you understand about that ?

8 hours ago, musicinferno said:

I just want to know what the hell she does backstage before the show. I refuse to believe she's actually back there warming up her vocals and rehearsing dance steps for hours before the show. We get it-she's a night owl but her 30-50 year old fans are not. 

I know she has said countless times that she promises to not a minute goes to waste and she's not just doing her nails and eating chocolates. But c'mon - if there's really that many difficulties with technical issues or even personal issues, just rearrange your damn schedule. Get up 2 hours earlier and be ready by 10pm. You know, like she did before MDNA. 

What she does at backstage? just look on the IG stories... those love prayers, meeting with famous people etc etc etc, there nothing more than that! and the answer is simple, there's no technicals problems or perfeccionism details to fix! just wasting time making her ego keeps on the pedestal!

38 minutes ago, RobertoFer42 said:

What she does at backstage? just look on the IG stories... those love prayers, meeting with famous people etc etc etc, there nothing more than that! and the answer is simple, there's no technicals problems or perfeccionism details to fix! just wasting time making her ego keeps on the pedestal!

Actually  when she was in Melbourne and late for her first Tears of a Clown performance, the audience actually heard her rehearsing her arse off and that was the reason she was late. I think she's made a habit out of it now though.