True Blue: The REAL Lead Single

musicinferno

I think there’s one more thing that needs to be factored here that can potentially give us more insight into the strategy.

So till roughly the mid 2000s, record company music single strategy for an album was the song that all bets were on, THE “HIT” or expected hit was single #2. So, single #1 helped kick off an era and could as was a hit often times for Madonna. It was single #2 the record company often times expected to anchor the album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As amscity said, the single sleeve clearly stated that LTT was from the forthcoming album.  PDP may have kicked off the album in full force, so I could see why some see that as the lead single. So, perhaps neither answer is wrong. :)

As for DADay- M said in an interview with Rick Dees when the song was out that it would be included on her forthcoming album. There as more of a time gap between that single and the album, though so I wouldn't call that the lead single from American Life. A single from the album, sure. Unlike "American Pie," which was simply tacked on to non-U.S. versions of the Music album.

Edited by JimMarq Radenhausen (see edit history)