Do you have 'Physical Attraction'?

MarXus

Madonna_-_Burning_Up_(single).png

I own this on 12 inch!

Hey fans.  So who here prefers to own physical copies of Madonna's music, videos and concerts?  I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer to have a physical copy of her work.  There's nothing more exhilarating than opening that tangible item, looking through it, reading and listening to it.  I realize we live in the digital age and things are easily accessible.  I enjoy that aspect of it.  Still, there's nothing like owning a physical copy of her work. The last two eras I've been buying a Vinyl copy of her albums, CD and boxset (Madame X).  My physical collection dates all the way back to the early 80's as I have all her 12 inches Remixes, all of her singles either on 45's or cassette tapes, VHS's (The Virgin Tour, Who's That Girl), Laser discs (Blond Ambition) and DVD's.  I actually still have my laser disc player, even though it's stored away.  I remember when DVD's started to become more popular in the early 90's, I was on the fence in purchasing The Girlie Show on Laser Disc or DVD.  I still remember asking my co-workers at the time which I should purchase. HA! 

So do you still have a 'Physical Attraction' to Madonna's body of work?  Or are you fine with just owning everything on digital. 

Yes, I most certainly do! And for the same reasons as you. Where is the thrill in a download, compared to buying a cd or vinyl, and have something in your hand?

I hate that the last ten years have been without 12" releases of her singles. Just imagine how beautiful Turn Up The Radioo would look in 12"...

But I buy what I find. Thank God for Record Store Day. It's old records in new colors, but that's better than nothing.
Maybe Interscope could release a vinyl box of 12"es? One for each album. THAT would be great. :)

And I think you mean Drowned World Tour. The Girlie Show (oh, what a masterpiece THAT is!) wasn't releasd on dvd until 1998.

I have this one too!

And yes, I prefer to own the physical copies rather than digital (though I don't mind libraries on my laptop, phone) etc. I always dread when things aren't available on streaming or are randomly removed. Though, thank you to YouTube for uploading rare outtakes, demos, b-Sides and good fanmade mixes too!

3 minutes ago, Celebration said:

Yes, I most certainly do! And for the same reasons as you. Where is the thrill in a download, compared to buying a cd or vinyl, and have something in your hand?

I hate that the last ten years have been without 12" releases of her singles. Just imagine how beautiful Turn Up The Radioo would look in 12"...

But I buy what I find. Thank God for Record Store Day. It's old records in new colors, but that's better than nothing.
Maybe Interscope could release a vinyl box of 12"es? One for each album. THAT would be great. :)

And I think you mean Drowned World Tour. The Girlie Show (oh, what a masterpiece THAT is!) wasn't releasd on dvd until 1998.

No it was The Girlie Show, but now that you mention it, maybe I was weighing on getting VHS and Laserdisc at the time.  I ended up with the VHS as I recall now, and later bought the DVD when it came available.

I love your ideas, but I am not sure Interscope would be allowed to re-release an oldies box set of her 12''es?  It most likely would have to be Warners. 

Thanks for you awesome reply.  Loved reading it.

I remember when I first got into Madonna around 2005, the record store Hastings back then used to carry used, new and traded CD's and I would buy some of her singles for little to nothing in good condition. The store and chain ended up closing but it's where I got most of my concert DVD's, albums, records, etc from. The joy of going through the Madonna section and not just finding the albums but singles like Frozen, Nothing Really Matters, Love Profusion, Get Together, Erotica, Hanky Panky and a few others.

Seeing the Confessions vinyl, the special edition with the notebook and the Hard Candy black box was a treat.

7 minutes ago, MarXus said:

No it was The Girlie Show, but now that you mention it, maybe I was weighing on getting VHS and Laserdisc at the time.  I ended up with the VHS as I recall now, and later bought the DVD when it came available.

I love your ideas, but I am not sure Interscope would be allowed to re-release an oldies box set of her 12''es?  It most likely would have to be Warners. 

Thanks for you awesome reply.  Loved reading it.

No, I meant a box for each album released on Interscope. I really want those singles on vinyl. :)

13 minutes ago, Celebration said:

No, I meant a box for each album released on Interscope. I really want those singles on vinyl. :)

Oh, I thought you said the oldies.  Hell, let's just get a box set of everything!  LOL! 

19 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I remember when I first got into Madonna around 2005, the record store Hastings back then used to carry used, new and traded CD's and I would buy some of her singles for little to nothing in good condition. The store and chain ended up closing but it's where I got most of my concert DVD's, albums, records, etc from. The joy of going through the Madonna section and not just finding the albums but singles like Frozen, Nothing Really Matters, Love Profusion, Get Together, Erotica, Hanky Panky and a few others.

Seeing the Confessions vinyl, the special edition with the notebook and the Hard Candy black box was a treat.

There's nothing more cooler than walking into a music store and thumbing through your favorite artists.  I still remember the day I walked in a Sam Goody store (I think it was called Musicland first?)  and seeing her 12 inches for the first time. I remember freaking out because I wasn't sure what they were first. I just saw all her singles in huge album sleeves.  I was like a kid on Christmas morning, snatching up as many as I could buy.  Unfortunately, at the time, I think I only bought one or two as I didn't have the money, but over the course of the year, I ended up collecting everything that was out at the time. 

I remember feeling the same way when YOU CAN DANCE was released. I had no idea about the release. I remember just walking in the store and seeing the albums, cassettes, and CD's being displayed on the wall.  I remember freaking out.  Though, I was Christmas shopping at the time, so I am not sure I bought it right then.  I remember eventually getting the cassette, and requesting from my parents the CD as I knew there were alternative version on all the formats released. I had't even a CD player at the time, but did get one for Christmas that year as well as the CD version of You Can Dance. 

Oh how I missed those days.  It's not the same anymore when music is released.  You don't feel the same anticipation and excitement.  I remember sitting in my room, thumbing through the album/cassette/cd liner notes/booklets while listening to new music for the first time.  This is before leaks and multiple songs being available to the public from a new album. In most cases, you only knew the first single and everything else was brand new to you when listening.

I have a lot of cassettes, cds, and digital but no vinyls!  I have more VHS and some DVDs. I have a lot of books and magazines...and a few posters(one is framed). I have a dress from Madonna's hm line too (that was a must lol). Anyway,  I bought things when I could afford it but not when I couldn't.  So my collection isn't probably as big as avid collectors.

Adding: great thread. I love reading on everyone's collections. 

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

Physical!

season 1 glee GIF

First cassette: True blue 

First vinyl: You can dance

First 7'': Who's that girl

First 12": True blue with Ain't no big deal

First cd: La isla bonita Japan EP with Gambler

First VHS: A certain sacrifice 

Ohh, I love how you did this. Let me think?

First Vinyl: Madonna

First 7'': Holiday

First 12'': Open Your Heart w/ White Heat

First Cassette: Like A Virgin

First EP/CD: You Can Dance

First (VCD) CD VIDEO: Papa Don't Preach (Though, I am not sure if I was able to play the video portion until I got a laser disc player in 1990/1?)

First VHS: MADONNA: Video Compilation

First Boxset: Immaculate Collection

FIRST VHS Single: Justify My Love

First LaserDisc: Blond Ambition (Bought the laser disc player specifically for this concert).

First DVD: The Girlie Show

First DVD Single: Music

Shittify, I meant, Spotify makes me wanna buy physical copies all of her discography and singles! It’s so frustrating how they can’t put the right “remix edit” or right song on the correct album, as it was released originally on cassette and CD! Not to mention some insultingly LQ versions thrown in too! Ugh cmon Spotify

iTunes pre-Spotify/Apple Music had the best digital copies of Madonna’s music (320kbps), so digitally I would just buy and download those for my digital copies.

Physically, I collect DVDs and VHS everything Madonna related. It’s just so magical having to feel the packaging, smelling the inlets, touching the disc, and popping it in a player. 

So yes I have both Physical and Digital Attraction. Millennial much? Early 1990s kid here lol